PDA

View Full Version : How to fly without wings or magic

HiddenLineage
2011-12-25, 06:41 PM
It's simple. First, put on a blindfold or find some other way to make your character blind.

Then Slam the ground. Since you have a chance to miss anything while blind, if you fail the check, bam, flight achieved. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2011-12-25, 06:46 PM
Don't you mean stomp the ground? If you slam with your hands, your feet will still be touching it.

Also, you didn't rule out psionics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/flyPsionic.htm) :smalltongue:

HiddenLineage
2011-12-25, 06:49 PM
My DM mentioned that to me as a joke. After saying that I was gonna try it, he said he'd put my character into orbit.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-25, 07:47 PM
Even more simple, you see the world around you is nothing more than a simulation, it has rules,What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of any other game. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken.:smallcool:

gallagher
2011-12-25, 08:02 PM
i invented a hang glider in a game once, we used it to have commoners who had no ability to help defend the city drop things like alchemist fire, acid flasks and things like baskets of rocks on enemy soldiers. they had better range than archers and were effective at quelling catapult fire

not real flying, but effectively thats what they were doing.

Knaight
2011-12-25, 08:05 PM
i invented a hang glider in a game once, we used it to have commoners who had no ability to help defend the city drop things like alchemist fire, acid flasks and things like baskets of rocks on enemy soldiers. they had better range than archers and were effective at quelling catapult fire

not real flying, but effectively thats what they were doing.

I think a hang glider qualifies as "wings". That said, rotary aircraft wouldn't, though I can't think of a nonmagical way to make them under D&D rules. With magical items open, the decanter of endless water is your friend for this sort of stuff.

GoatBoy
2011-12-25, 08:13 PM
Throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

Also, Beholder internal organs are buoyant for a period after the creature dies. Make yourself some beholder pot pie.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-25, 09:09 PM
Old joke is old. :smallamused:

CTrees
2011-12-25, 09:47 PM
Trebuchet. Granted, there's going to be a tough acrobatics check when you try to land, but the ballistic method always works.

Iron Heart Surge gravity.

Bhaakon
2011-12-25, 11:49 PM
1: pump your ride skill

2: line up a bunch of horses

3: fast mount/dismount them, a free action, in a single combat round

4: escape velocity.

gallagher
2011-12-26, 02:19 AM
I think a hang glider qualifies as "wings". That said, rotary aircraft wouldn't, though I can't think of a nonmagical way to make them under D&D rules. With magical items open, the decanter of endless water is your friend for this sort of stuff.

well its not really flying, its gliding. wings can help you gain height on their own, hang gliders have to rely on wind and such to get higher.

dspeyer
2011-12-26, 02:37 PM
It's simple. First, put on a blindfold or find some other way to make your character blind.

Then Slam the ground. Since you have a chance to miss anything while blind, if you fail the check, bam, flight achieved. :smallsmile:

Missing doesn't necessarily mean no impact, it means no damage dealt. You bounce ineffectively off the earth's armor (which is 20 miles thick and made of granite).

A better approach is leadership and a hulking hurler.

Cespenar
2011-12-26, 02:56 PM
1. Get Up The Walls feat.

2. Have your party ready actions to throw 5' wooden platforms in the air just above you.

3. Run upwards.

4. Just when your movement would end, affix an Immovable Rod in the air and stand on top of it.

5. Repeat when your turn is up.

Incriptus
2011-12-26, 03:02 PM
Arms & Equipment has a Zeppelin for 60,000 grand

jaybird
2011-12-26, 05:45 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a DC 60 or so Balance check you can make to walk on air.

CTrees
2011-12-26, 07:25 PM
DC60 balance only let's you walk on liquids. It's a DC120 check to walk on clouds. Getting to a cloud (and getting down) are both exercises for the reader (likely involving fog).

deuxhero
2011-12-26, 08:04 PM
Don't fly, jump good.