PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Benefit Weapon Properties

Elric VIII
2011-12-25, 08:29 PM
Some time back I helped a friend build a Wizard for a 1-shot and while I was equipping him, I had a good idea: he should wield a quarterstaff and capitalize on weapon enhancements. Said Wizard wielded a quarterstaff (so he could hold 2 weapons in 1 hand) with 1 end as +1 Warning and the other as +1 Smoking. This was a rather potent trick.

I am wondering what other weapon enhancements exist that provide a benefit for someone that does not plan on actually being in melee?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-25, 08:36 PM
Eager gives another initiative bonus IIRC and it is continous as long as wou wield it Fierce bane requires to be put on a weapon that already has bane; but it warns you when that type of creature is near so it counts I think.

Elric VIII
2011-12-26, 10:43 AM
Eager gives another initiative bonus IIRC and it is continous as long as wou wield it Fierce bane requires to be put on a weapon that already has bane; but it warns you when that type of creature is near so it counts I think.

http://mimg.ugo.com/201004/42057/cuts/rotk1459_480x270.jpg

I'd say that counts.

I suppose Defending fits the bill, too. Is there anything else?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-26, 12:35 PM
I'll have to dive through the MiC later tonight; but that is all I can recall off-hand.

And yes Sting is a small +1 orc fierce bane shortsword :smallbiggrin:

graeylin
2011-12-26, 05:13 PM
get two quarterstaffs, and tie them together. You get 4 weapon enhancements. As long as you aren't really going to try to strike with it, the thickness/size won't matter much. It's just a bigger, thicker walking stick.

Incriptus
2011-12-26, 06:27 PM
Don't forget about the Harmonizing Armor Spikes my bard has on his Mithral Breast plate

Shield Spikes should work similarly
also "...but the shield can be made into a magical weapon in it's own right"

AmberVael
2011-12-26, 06:33 PM
Spellblade. It's in Player's Guide to Faerun, and costs a flat +6,000 gold. It gives immunity to one targeted spell of your choice, and allows you to redirect it as a free action if you so desire.

Igneel
2011-12-27, 03:14 AM
I always found Sizing + Morphing an interesting combo. By my Dm's rulebook, Morphing counts any single piece [no moving/extra parts] improvised weapons. Need a simple tool like a screwdriver? Morph it. Need a place to hide your weapon when going somewhere that doesn't want you to have weapons? Re-size/morph it into a toothpick [or smaller] sized 'quarterstaff'. Need a boat? Morph into a bowl and re-size it as needed. Wanna finish your Sephiroth/Cloud/other insane weapon user cosplay? Morph/Re-size as needed into appropriately over/under-sized weapons. Etc.

Ghost strike [I think] from MiC requires Ghost Touch if I remember right, but it functions as Ghost Touch and allows Rogues to sneak attack undead.

Rusting from Shining South for those people that like ruining metal puzzles, doors, enemies, etc.

Ashes
2011-12-27, 05:27 AM
I thought you had to wield weapons to get their bonuses? For example, that to get the AC bonus from Defending, you needed to be attacking with the weapon? I thought I read that somewhere.

candycorn
2011-12-27, 05:43 AM
I thought you had to wield weapons to get their bonuses? For example, that to get the AC bonus from Defending, you needed to be attacking with the weapon? I thought I read that somewhere.

Wielding doesn't mean attacking. It means using. If you're employing a weapon in a manner that allows you to threaten squares, you're wielding.

Darrin
2011-12-27, 07:59 AM
Jumping (+8400 GP, Magic of Faerun). Acts as ring of feather falling, +30 untyped bonus on jump check 1/round.

Deflecting (+1 enhancement, Complete Warrior). Ref save DC 20 to negate a ranged attack 1/round.

Finder (+1 enhancement, FR Underdark). +4 insight bonus on Spot, Search, and Survival checks when underground.

Flying (+1 enhancement, Magic of Faerun). Becomes an animated object with a 30' fly speed, and can follow simple commands. Add this to a spiked gauntlet for a permanent mage hand, or a riverine variable sizing buckler/tower shield for a 10' x 30' flying wall of force/surfboard.

Fortunate (+1 enhancement, A&EG). Kinda boring, +1 luck bonus on all saves, but stacks with resistance bonuses.

Intercepting (+1 enhancement, Forge of War). If you are charged/bull rushed/overrun/grapplied, gives you one immediate free attack that round. Against charging/bull rushing/overrunning opponents, weapon deals double damage, and opponent loses +2 attack bonus from charging.

Precise (+1 enhancement, MIC). Gain the effects of Precise Shot feat.

Rusting (+1 enhancement, Shining South). Destroys any metal items, unlimited use.

Shrinking (+1 enhancement, A&EG). On command, shrink item effect on weapon. Put this one on a seige catapult, throw it above your target's head before you unshrink it.

Incriptus
2011-12-27, 09:53 AM

Basically they're trying to say you can't have your +5 Defending sword in your bag of holding and expect to get the bonus.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-27, 01:37 PM
That is why you always use your +1 Defending armor spikes :smalltongue: Just make sure to ask the cleric/wizard nicely for a greater magic weapon spell (perhaps get a high CL minor schema of it)

Greenish
2011-12-27, 02:47 PM
A quarterstaff is a good start, just remember to wear gauntlets (or spiked gauntlets) too. Having thick metal plates over your fingers doesn't make spellcasting any more difficult, don'tcha know. That's two more slots.

Also, since you have a double weapon, you'd be remiss not to have it made with two wand chambers.

Slipperychicken
2011-12-27, 03:23 PM
Pandemonic Silver Quickrazor. Each time its drawn (a free action), everyone makes a save against (cowering?) for a while. Get everyone to wear earplugs, draw and sheathe until all enemies are cowered.

Prime32
2011-12-27, 10:48 PM
The cheesy option is to put these on an arrow/shuriken for the price discount.

Elric VIII
2011-12-28, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The cheesy option is to put these on an arrow/shuriken for the price discount.

You don't have to get them enchanted 50 at a time?