PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to Transmute Metal to Wood

FearlessGnome
2011-12-25, 09:02 PM
So. There's this insanely overpowered enemy spellcaster my party is going up against. By mutual understanding Disjunction is not on the table. I am, however, expecting the enemy to be much higher level than anyone in the party. So here I saw the spell "Transmute Metal to Wood", and I thought, hey, a level 7 core spell that shreds metal equipment with no save! Of course for magical items, (ie, everything of interest), the spell requires a Spell Resistance penetration roll of DC 20+CL of magic item.

But with Assay Spell Resistance and True Casting, that's 20+CL+d20 against 20+CL of items, so that's sort of manageable, what with magical items almost always having a rock bottom caster level. It also helps that the range is Long.

However, while the spell would turn the magical rings/metal armor/shield/other metal gear into wood, it doesn't actually say that they cease functioning just because they are suddenly made of flimsy wood. So. How does one transform a wooden magical item into something definitely not capable of bestowing insane defensive capabilities on the enemy?

(He's still a higher level caster, so we don't to play fair. Not even the least little bit.)

druid91
2011-12-25, 09:04 PM
Wood shape.

FearlessGnome
2011-12-25, 09:07 PM
..Damnit. Allows a will save. Also forces us to target one item at a time.

druid91
2011-12-25, 09:25 PM
Wood-rot.

Allows you to sunder wooden objects with a touch attack.

blazingshadow
2011-12-25, 09:31 PM
how about targeted dispel (with a metamagic rod of chaining) then summon a rust monster as an alternative?

Psyren
2011-12-25, 09:32 PM
Repel Wood (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/repelWood.htm) has no save or SR. Maybe get his back to a pit/trap, or push him past all your melee for free hits? Then have a rogue or something UMD a scroll of it to push him back towards you?

druid91
2011-12-25, 09:39 PM
Or you could just set the guy on fire.

Infernalbargain
2011-12-26, 12:20 AM
Or you could just set the guy on fire.

Needs to be a quality source of fire though. Mundane fire only deals 1d6 damage per round. Wood has a hardness of 5 and energy damage is halved against objects. Even 2d6 will only deal on average 1/36 per round. Might as well just kill the guy at this point.

Seatbelt
2011-12-26, 01:38 AM
Could you make the argument that wood = flesh (of a tree) and thus flesh to stone is workable here? So metal to wood to stone to make him trapped in an immobile suit of stone armor. I'm not sure if I'd allow it as a DM. But I'm not sure I'd say no either.

Of course the DM could be devious and let the stone armor function just fine except for max dex bonus of +0, but now he has DR/I'm-wearing-a-rock.

druid91
2011-12-26, 10:45 AM
Could you make the argument that wood = flesh (of a tree) and thus flesh to stone is workable here? So metal to wood to stone to make him trapped in an immobile suit of stone armor. I'm not sure if I'd allow it as a DM. But I'm not sure I'd say no either.

Of course the DM could be devious and let the stone armor function just fine except for max dex bonus of +0, but now he has DR/I'm-wearing-a-rock.

Transmute rock to lava.

OR scalding mud.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-26, 02:43 PM
Don't try to set the wood on fire afterwards. Cast transmute metal to wood on the third round of a heat metal effect so that it catches fire from the inside.