PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways to abuse a staff of unlimited Tree Stride?

rmg22893
2011-12-25, 09:33 PM
My DM gave me a "Staff of Nature's Gainful Bounding", which basically lets me use Tree Stride with a range of 60' unlimited times per day. Can anyone think of any creative tricks using this?

CTrees
2011-12-25, 09:51 PM
Seem to remember some exploit using a banzai tree

rmg22893
2011-12-25, 10:01 PM
Seem to remember some exploit using a banzai tree

Bonsai*

Both the entry and exit trees have to be large enough to fit into, so I think a bonsai tree is out of the question :P

Randomguy
2011-12-25, 10:02 PM
Remember, it's a spell with a duration rather than one you have to cast each time to go through a tree, so cast it every morning just in case. In fact, pass it around to your party members in the morning so they can tree-hop a bit, too.

It would be great as an emergency escape, if one of your plans fail.

Get a pair of banzai trees. The party sneak gets one of them somewhere hard to reach and the rest of the party goes through the tree. It can't get you very far, but it can get you through walls.

rmg22893
2011-12-25, 10:07 PM
Remember, it's a spell with a duration rather than one you have to cast each time to go through a tree, so cast it every morning just in case. In fact, pass it around to your party members in the morning so they can tree-hop a bit, too.

It would be great as an emergency escape, if one of your plans fail.

Get a pair of banzai trees. The party sneak gets one of them somewhere hard to reach and the rest of the party goes through the tree. It can't get you very far, but it can get you through walls.

Unfortunately, it's just a passive staff that grants me constant Tree Stride whilst it is in my possession. Maybe some combination of reduce person + the staff + some enlarge plant spell would make bonsai trees work?

deuxhero
2011-12-25, 10:20 PM
60 what?

I recall WotC sanctioned uses Feather Token: Tree to create a point you can jump to/from

rmg22893
2011-12-25, 10:32 PM
60 what?

I recall WotC sanctioned uses Feather Token: Tree to create a point you can jump to/from

60', e.g. 60 feet. Oooh, that's a good one.

CTrees
2011-12-25, 10:33 PM
Feather Token: Tree is better, yes.

That said, thinking about it? The bonsai thing was something a friend of mine once did. I believe he was actually playing something like a pixie druid, with his animal companion carrying his bonsai (and most of his other gear). Ultimately it was a "seeing the look on the DM's face" maneuver, taking what was thought to be a roleplaying touch and turning it into an unexpected tactical advantage.

sreservoir
2011-12-25, 11:01 PM
mind, abusing feather tokens will get expensive. better to get a renewable source of trees.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-26, 08:43 AM
Maybe some shenanigans with the Liveoak spell? Have the treant run to some location (with duration 1 day/level it can get pretty far) and wait the duration out. You can now hop to it as it reverts back to being a tree.

Treants have damage reduction and decent hp. You could wait until the duration of Liveoak is about to expire, drop the treant down to where ever you want to go, wait for Liveoak to run out, and then Treestride down. It might not be practical, but dropping a Treant into combat and then treestriding through it makes for a badass entry.

It's also an unbeatable hide-check. Bad guys coming after you? Hop into the nearest tree and just stay there.

Darrin
2011-12-27, 09:53 AM
Hmm... might be something you can do with acorn of far travel (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a). With the acorn, you're always considered to be standing under your chosen tree, but I'm not entirely sure how that would work with tree stride. My guess would be you can always shift into your chosen tree, and then jump around from there.

Next problem would be finding yourself in anyplace that doesn't have enough trees. Feather tokens are definitely a good idea, but they're one-shot items. You'll want to get your hands on Ehlonna's Seed Pouch (1400 GP, MIC) ASAP. You may have to burn a feat on True Believer, but 3/day you can summon a treant. I'm not entirely sure you can tree stride through one, but... it's still a tree, right?

Hand of the Oak Father also lets you cast tree shape 1/day (give it to an ally and you'll always have access to a tree in a pinch).

sreservoir
2011-12-27, 03:50 PM
Maybe some shenanigans with the Liveoak spell? Have the treant run to some location (with duration 1 day/level it can get pretty far) and wait the duration out. You can now hop to it as it reverts back to being a tree.

Treants have damage reduction and decent hp. You could wait until the duration of Liveoak is about to expire, drop the treant down to where ever you want to go, wait for Liveoak to run out, and then Treestride down. It might not be practical, but dropping a Treant into combat and then treestriding through it makes for a badass entry.

It's also an unbeatable hide-check. Bad guys coming after you? Hop into the nearest tree and just stay there.

liveoak is (D); you can dismiss it once it gets there.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-28, 05:36 AM
liveoak is (D); you can dismiss it once it gets there.Once you dismiss it, it returns to the place you cast it.

Alienist
2011-12-28, 07:49 AM
There's a low level tree ladder spell, perhaps you could use that?

sreservoir
2011-12-28, 03:12 PM
Once you dismiss it, it returns to the place you cast it.

oh, right.

auto-succeed a dispel, then!