PDA

View Full Version : Suburban Ranger, Game Breaking?

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-26, 12:22 AM
So, both Ranger and Urban Ranger are not awful as far as classes go, all I'm wondering is, if it would break the game if a Ranger could have the skills, spells and abilities of each? A Suburban Ranger if you will. Both are here if by some way you way are not familiar with either.

Ranger
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm

Urban Ranger (Scroll down a bit)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

Basically a Suburban Ranger would:
Gain both Track and Urban Tracking
Gain full bonus on Wild Empathy checks
Be Able to have an Animal Companion of any size (Level allowing)
Gain Swift Tracker as well as Woodland Stride, and Camouflage while still being able to Hide in Plain Sight anywhere.
Add Gather Information, Knowledge (Local), and Sense Motive as Class skills.
Gain the following spells listed in the Urban Ranger ACF, without losing any spells; 1st—comprehend languages, detect chaos/good/evil/law, detect secret doors, message; 2nd—detect thoughts, eagle's splendor, knock, locate object; 3rd—discern lies, invisibility, speak with dead, tongues; 4th—dimensional anchor, locate creature, mage's faithful hound, true seeing.

I just feel that if a player in my game plays a Ranger they either so-so in the city, or do so-so in the wild. And my games generally take place in both for equal parts, and a bit at sea too... Hmm seafaring ranger ACF, anyways many, if not most other classes would not have this problem, would a fireball not deal 1d6 damage per caster level (max 10d6) whether fired in the woods or in the city district? Would a Suburban Ranger, in any way shatter the game mechanics, or alter the Ranger's tier listing?

OracleofSilence
2011-12-26, 02:11 AM
Short answer? No.
It would make tha ranger a little more versatile. However, i find it very unlikely that any player could take this and break the game with it. I mean rangers are something like teir 4. And to be honest, i have found it extremely difficult to make teir 4's teir 3's without adding alot.

I mean, SotAO Mystic Ranger does it, but that is by giving it interrupted wizard casting.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-26, 09:37 AM
Short answer? No.
It would make tha ranger a little more versatile. However, i find it very unlikely that any player could take this and break the game with it. I mean rangers are something like teir 4. And to be honest, i have found it extremely difficult to make teir 4's teir 3's without adding alot.

I mean, SotAO Mystic Ranger does it, but that is by giving it interrupted wizard casting.

Awesomesauce, Thank You.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-26, 06:32 PM
Awesomesauce, Thank You.

Hmm, sub-question, Paldain//Ranger, any ways to reduce MAD? Str and Con are important, for standard Melee reasons, Dex is important due to Ranger's Light Armour. Charisma for Paladin abilities (and Wild Empathy if that's important) and then Wisdom for Spells (although a 14 should suffice so long as you don't need DC's) then Int is dump I guess, unless you want skills, which you probably do.

gallagher
2011-12-26, 07:09 PM
Hmm, sub-question, Paldain//Ranger, any ways to reduce MAD? Str and Con are important, for standard Melee reasons, Dex is important due to Ranger's Light Armour. Charisma for Paladin abilities (and Wild Empathy if that's important) and then Wisdom for Spells (although a 14 should suffice so long as you don't need DC's) then Int is dump I guess, unless you want skills, which you probably do.

the feat Serenity from dragon mag lets you dump Cha

dump strength, make a ranged character, and see if the DM would be cool with letting you make a swift tracker while gestalting

if not, you can always have your Dex be just okay and pump it with items. you will be a little behind as a melee character, but you will be fine.

sword of arcane order is awesome for this build, expecially coupled with shooting star ACF for rangers in champions of valor, it gives you more spells. and there is a paladin ACF called mystic fire knight in the same book that you should look at, it makes you better at fighting casters.

also, have you considered crusader from ToB instead of paladin? not to try and dissuade you from this build, but ToB will add more versatility and power to a gestalt with a ranger

gallagher
2011-12-26, 07:15 PM
also, with a ranged build and Serenity, whisper gnome (+con and dex, -str and cha, dark vision, spell like abilities if you have enough cha from good rolls) would be your race of choice. if you go martial, and you dont go with sword of the arcane order (so you would not need Int as much) you should go for a lesser Aasimar (+wis and +cha), Human (feat AND skill point), or Half Orc (strength bonus, penalty to Int and Cha which you are already dumping)

Akal Saris
2011-12-26, 07:27 PM
Depending on how your table rules on gestalt class stacking of abilities, Dragon Magazine 317 has the Ranger Knight of Furyundy PrC, which is basically a Paladin/Ranger prestige class. It advances both the paladin mount (+5 to level at 1st) and favored enemy, and is basically a mounted fighter who fights with two weapons. Paladin doesn't give much after 6th level, so you possibly could advance Ranger//Ranger-Knight.

gkathellar
2011-12-26, 07:46 PM

Moon-Warded Ranger gets Wisdom to AC and Serenity switches Paladin abilities to Wisdom. Add in Intuitive Attack/Zen Archery and by level 2 you'll be almost completely SAD. You can always pick up a level in Shiba Disciple and another in Monk later if you want to get even more SAD.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-27, 12:10 AM
Depending on how your table rules on gestalt class stacking of abilities, Dragon Magazine 317 has the Ranger Knight of Furyundy PrC, which is basically a Paladin/Ranger prestige class. It advances both the paladin mount (+5 to level at 1st) and favored enemy, and is basically a mounted fighter who fights with two weapons. Paladin doesn't give much after 6th level, so you possibly could advance Ranger//Ranger-Knight.

Is there anywhere outside of Dragon I might be able to find this, that you know of?

Upon some searching and whatnot, the answer is apparently no.