PDA

View Full Version : Monster Creation Help

Obahai
2011-12-26, 01:25 AM
After watching Doctor Who all day, I've been trying to create 3.5/Pathfinder version of The Silence. I'm having trouble working out the The Silence's biggest ability. Whenever someone takes their eyes of The Silence, they completely forget what they had seen and have a moment of confusion. The Silence can also deliver a subliminal message, the PC's would be affected by a high level suggestion to accommodate for that.

I'm trying to figure out how to make their amnesic ability work besides a big will save

motoko's ghost
2011-12-26, 02:08 AM
modify memory and suggestion as at will SLAs?

may have something similiar to vecna-blooded's immune to divinations, or have the modify memory be a Su aura effect that doesnt effect other silences or constructs(in the show it was shown to be ineffective against electronics)

Debihuman
2011-12-26, 07:02 AM
Amnesia (Su): Any creature that looks away from the silence immediately loses all memories of their existence. Any attempt to use a Knowledge skill to try to remember anything about them automatically fails and causes confusion for 1d6 rounds.

The caster level would probably equal its HD but I'd have to see the creature fleshed out more.

Debby

Incanur
2011-12-26, 09:10 AM
I believe the greater doppelganger from the MM2 has a similar ability.

Debihuman
2011-12-29, 03:55 PM
I believe the greater doppelganger from the MM2 has a similar ability.

I didn't see it in that book. Monster of Faerûn had them. I'm not sure they were updated.

Obahai
2012-01-13, 07:47 PM
Amnesia (Su): Any creature that looks away from the silence immediately loses all memories of their existence. Any attempt to use a Knowledge skill to try to remember anything about them automatically fails and causes confusion for 1d6 rounds.

The caster level would probably equal its HD but I'd have to see the creature fleshed out more.

Debby

I've spent a lot of time working on this and I think I've gotten it all worked out. Caster level for the amnesia ability is related to 2[HD] and is an at will ability, b/c the party is not meant to remember anything from each encounter. I've already incorporated a way for the party to deal with Amnesia ability.

It helps if you've seen the episode of Doctor Who, where they used the eye drive to deal with The Silence.

I've taken the basic template of the doppelgänger and gave it a ranged touch version of shocking grasp. This on top of their Amnesia/Suggestion ability makes for (which I'm hoping for) a completely different style of encounter.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-14, 01:20 AM
I've taken the basic template of the doppelgänger and gave it a ranged touch version of shocking grasp. This on top of their Amnesia/Suggestion ability makes for (which I'm hoping for) a completely different style of encounter.

Bonus points if you make your players use some kind of rules for facing during the encounter.

DracoDei
2012-01-14, 11:05 PM
Ideally the players should never get a description of their enemy(well, except for when wearing the devices), and, indeed, should only be asked for their contingency plans (IN DETAIL) and told the results after they forget. Of course, a certain amount of asking of questions for specific situations as they occur will probably be required, but the less details you give the player(s), while still giving them everything they need to make a tactically appropriated decision for that particular case. If possible make them think that the scenario involves alternate timelines, not amnesia.