PDA

View Full Version : Quick Holy Monk Question.

Noelsj
2011-12-26, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone.

In Dragon #310 is the "Holy Monk", a Monk Base Class variant. It reads as follows:

-Gain: Aura of courage, smite evil, turn undead (all as paladin).
-Lose: Bonus feats at 1st and 6th level.

If it gets the bonus abilities as a paladin, then it would get smite evil at 1st level, aura of courage at third level and turn undead at fourth level, but, other sources in the net and people from d&d forums describe it as getting those 3 abilities from level 1...

http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf (page 58) is an example.

Do you know which is the correct reading?

sonofzeal
2011-12-26, 05:54 AM
"As Paladin" refers to how the ability functions, not when you get it. I'd have to look at the magazine article in question, but simply saying "as paladin" is not enough to make you wait those extra levels to get it.

gkathellar
2011-12-26, 07:50 AM
I'd say you get them at the same levels as the paladin, for the reason you've stated, and that getting them all at level 1 is just wishful thinking.

Thurbane
2011-12-26, 09:39 AM
Well, if it works the same as the simple variants in UA, then you get the abilities at the same level as the class it references (i.e. Paladin).

Simple Variants
These variants simply swap one or more of that class's features for one or more class features of another class. A class feature gained works just as it did for its original class, including the level at which it is gained and any other effects, except as noted below.

umbergod
2011-12-26, 09:48 AM
"As Paladin" refers to how the ability functions, not when you get it. I'd have to look at the magazine article in question, but simply saying "as paladin" is not enough to make you wait those extra levels to get it.

thinking you get all those abilities at first level isn't smart. that would just encourage taking a single level of monk, then jumping ship into a class that isn't terrible