PDA

View Full Version : Could use some advice for a campaign

Nimbus
2011-12-26, 08:37 AM
Hey everyone, first post in... 5 years. But hey, glad to be on again! I follow the forums now and then when I need ideas but haven't seen one for my particular situation. Which is kind of strange looking back on it, I must have just missed them! Glad to be back and appreciative for any help and ideas that you all have.

Basically on my campaign one of the PCs through various political intrigue has obtain her own small kingdom which she is Queen of. (Empress, technically, but close enough).

I'm looking for political decisions to put before her. Things similar to what is found in Fable 3's King system. Tax rates, conscription, wages, legal system, public services, tolerance of other nations, so forth. Ideas for cost in gold for these ideas would be nice as well as what you think a small-medium sized kingdom would have in way of treasury.

I've come up with a very small few things, but I certainly need more. Especially how much an army would cost 'per month' or so. War wages all around and I want a game where if she is a bad queen, her people can suffer and her kingdom can fall.

The system is a modified version of the Wheel of Time RPG (Most modifications are to the casting system, which was downright terrible). But any general idea for fantasy kingdoms should be applicable.

Thanks in advance! Merry Christmas (Belated...) and Happy New Years. :)

graymagiker
2011-12-26, 01:47 PM
The last time this happened in our group (it was me that obtained the kingdom as a player) my GM and I decided to use This book (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3535&it=1) from AEG. It was a DnD 3.5 game, but some of the ideas could be used in other games.

HTH

Lord Tyger
2011-12-26, 02:48 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure about the logistics, but as far as decisions she needs to make-

A religious majority is pressuring her to outlaw/suppress a large religious minority. Or even reversed, except that the minority pushing for the oppression of the majority constitutes most of the upper class and power brokers.

She's being pressured to select an heir- if she doesn't want to produce one of her own, she can pick one from among the court, although that person will then have good reason to wish her hurried along the mortal coil.

A marauding dragon has appeared in the western province and is demanding gold/jewels/unobtanium/nubile youths/stock options. In the Eastern Province, bandits are sweeping out of the mountains for one of their semi-annual pillaging sprees. Which problem do you concentrate on, and how do you handle each one?

Nimbus
2011-12-26, 06:11 PM
Good so far and thanks! The next sessions where I'm putting all the choices in front of here is Wednesday, after that she's appointing a Steward and going back off on adventures. Just want to bug her with the big stuff, and also open up new avenues for adventure.

That book actually looks good from the description, that site safe to buy from? Would like to browse it for sure.

Everything will need a bit of Wheel of Time conversion since it is 'low'-ish fantasy. The religious thing I already have going on as the previous leader outlawed the biggest group (The Children of the Light) right before losing her crown. So that's going on, didn't think to base too much around it though, so thanks!

The heir bit doesn't apply, unfortunately. She's very young and something similar is already in place. I'll likely use something from the already existing bit (Daughter of the previous ruler).

Dragon fits pretty good actually, not like you'd think though. I hadn't considered making her have two very different things to choose between with dwindling resources. That could be interesting. Especially since she already wants to get involved in two wars which will be very very taxing.

Anything else? Thanks again for what has been provided so far!

graymagiker
2011-12-27, 07:15 PM
that site safe to buy from?

I have used them in the past without problems.

If you want a physical copy, you could order through one of Amazon's
sellers Here (http://goo.gl/rbdaQ)

Other ideas:

Since you say the character is going to leave a steward, does she have one picked out? I am sure lots of people, well meaning or otherwise, would like to give her advice on who to choose.

Who are the other powerful factions in the kingdom? What are their goals, and which ones conflict with the character's/party's?

Rarely is absolute power solely in one person's hands, even if most of it is. For example, even in an absolute monarchy where the Queen has absolute say over everything in theory, there might be a powerful mage guild that provides magic to the Royal court and so has significant sway. Even in low-magic worlds knights and other nobles often have significant influence, some more than others. Also generals and military commanders may not have noble titles, but if the Queen's power relies on the army enforcing her edicts then it would be wise to listen them.

This raises another question: If the Queen has all, or most, of the power, why? Is it because the army follows the Queen without question? Is it because the Queen (or former ruler) made decisions that benefited everyone more or less equally? How are criminals dealt with? Do they get a trial? Can the Queen overrule the result of a trial if it is done by someone else?

Presumably these questions do not need to be answered by the player/character. As they have taken over an established queendom, there is almost certainly answers and systems already in place. But if the player doesn't know the answers to these questions, then they can't decide if their character wants to change the way things are done.