PDA

View Full Version : Magic candle holder! Help

Thugorp
2011-12-26, 09:05 AM
O.k. so here is the thing, I am D.M.ing a game, and one my N.P.C. characters is named Cicele. He is a, "British," High-elf, Lawful Good, grammar Nazi, Paladin of St. Cuthbert. When fighting though he is also BAD ASS he uses a FullBlade with the mercurial mundane weapon feature(basically a giant sword that deals 2d8 19-20 X4 slashing). Maybe its just the accent but my players love him.

Anyway, I was picking out equipment for this N.P.C.(finally getting around to writing up his character sheet) and I decided that as the proper & genteel-man he is he would never stoop to hold a torch. So I broke out my various equipment guides and found a bunch of different candles.(normal, bright[same light as a torch], relighting[trick candles], cold[glow-sticks in the shape of candles], sparkling, and smoking). So now he has those, and no need for torch... but now he needs a way to carry them without the wax getting everywhere ...

Enter the hand-held candle holder: http://www.naturesgifts.com.au/shop/images/Candles%20Holders/copper%20candle%20holder.jpg

As I said though, he is supposed to be bad-ass which makes me want to make it MAGIC! However I couldn't think of anything good It doesn't HAVE to be combat related, I am not even sure that it should, though it could be. The only thing I can say for sure is that the magic should only work when there is a candle burning in the holder. Can any of the more creative minds here help me out?

The only idea I have come up with so far is that it could be dancing... but that falls flat for me.

DracoDei
2011-12-26, 09:39 AM
Well, if he is using a full-blade it BETTER be self-propelled, right?

Also, candles are generally dimmer than torches, so how about a switchable ability to amplify the light of the candle in it to the level of a torch? Perhaps also command words to light/extinguish any candle in it.

Eurus
2011-12-26, 09:40 AM
Perhaps you could make it function like a Lantern of Revealing from the Magic Item Compendium?

Landis963
2011-12-26, 09:44 AM
Is he noble-born? If that's the case, you could have a servant spirit of some kind holding the candleholder for him. Have it be bound up in the holder, so that it's awake only when there is a lit candle in the holder. That in turn suggests some kind of lawful evil soulbinding procedures practiced by his family (esp. if the spirit automatically defers to him), so if you go this route, add some "defector from decadence" motivation to his backstory.

Thugorp
2011-12-26, 10:24 AM
Draco: As I said I already have alchemical, "Bright candles," but I like that command word to light/snuff any candle in it. hmmm... I was hoping for a little bit more than that though

Eurus: I am not sure I have the magic Item compendium(though I may...) what does a lantern of relieving do?

Laandies163: No I don't think he is(though we will see) I think I was going to go for more of a guy who wishes he were noble... a lot... and acts like he is one(though he is also humble in his own way) and that maybe part of why he became a paladin of St. Cuthbert. The only real problem I might have with this spierit thing though is that Paladins can't associate with evil people... and that includes evil spirits.

what were you thinking the spirit might do though?

The Witch-King
2011-12-26, 10:24 AM
Is he noble-born? If that's the case, you could have a servant spirit of some kind holding the candleholder for him. Have it be bound up in the holder, so that it's awake only when there is a lit candle in the holder. That in turn suggests some kind of lawful evil soulbinding procedures practiced by his family (esp. if the spirit automatically defers to him), so if you go this route, add some "defector from decadence" motivation to his backstory.

I see your logic there but I don't think it necessarily follows that his family is Lawful Evil. They could be Lawful Good. In the DC Comics universe, Merlin punishes Jason Blood for betraying Arthur to Morgan Le Fey by binding his soul to a demon and cursing him to walk the earth until his deed (basically helping to destroy Camelot) is atoned.

It might be that the laws of the land where this character comes from includes a provision that men guilty of seriously heinous deeds have their souls bound to magical objects so that they can be of service to the community to atone for their misdeeds.

You could even take it further. There could be a whole class of objects called Lightbearers that have such souls bound to them. A knowledge of the law and of the culture's ethical code is mystically implanted into the soul of the condemned prisoner and he is bound to the object with powerful magics that force him to answer questions truthfully. So the end result is this spooky candleholder that can provide you warnings if you think you might stray from the path.

The Witch-King
2011-12-26, 10:28 AM
Laandies163: No I don't think he is(though we will see) I think I was going to go for more of a guy who wishes he were noble... a lot... and acts like he is one(though he is also humble in his own way) and that maybe part of why he became a paladin of St. Cuthbert. The only real problem I might have with this spierit thing though is that Paladins can't associate with evil people... and that includes evil spirits.

He's not "associating with"--he's taking charge of a prisoner and putting him to work. Paladins can be jailors.

Thugorp
2011-12-26, 10:31 AM
Which King I am seriously liking this!!!!! A LOT.

I am thinking maybe it would be Ceicle's grandfather or great grandfather he was evil(or stupid) and because of some terrable dead was cursed to spend his time as a candle holder until he could atone for his crimes... as a candle holder(that should take quite a wile) ... but what would such an item have?

I am also liking the idea that maybe the person in the holder can only communicate/act in any way when a candle is shining from the holder.

I AM LOVING THIS SO FAR! Thank you all!

Drogorn
2011-12-26, 10:36 AM
I dealt with this by using the spell stick to attach an everburning torch to the dwarf's helmet.

Thugorp
2011-12-26, 11:10 AM
no witch king... I posted my comment just after you did yours. :-) I was hoping you could give me a bit more? :-)

The Witch-King
2011-12-26, 11:53 AM
Witch-King I am seriously liking this!!!!! A LOT.

I am thinking maybe it would be Ceicle's grandfather or great grandfather he was evil(or stupid) and because of some terrable dead was cursed to spend his time as a candle holder until he could atone for his crimes... as a candle holder(that should take quite a wile) ... but what would such an item have?

I am also liking the idea that maybe the person in the holder can only communicate/act in any way when a candle is shining from the holder.

I AM LOVING THIS SO FAR! Thank you all!

Well, you could start with him being able to do the sorts of things an Invisible Servant spell can do but he should be visible. That way you get the spooky translucent ghost guy in chains kind of effect. But basically, physically, he should do things of a penitent nature. He should act like a spectral butler, pouring drinks, laying out clothes, stepping and fetching, that sort of thing. To teach the prisoner spirit modesty and humility.

And as an advisor, he would have access to all the skills he had in life but would be bound to use them according to the lawful good thinking of whoever imprisoned him. Mostly lots of "men cannot be trusted--I myself poisoned my liege lord out of ambition and pride--turn not your back upon your enemy..." kind of stuff. I can see this thing being made by an order of Paladins. I mean who else would bind a criminal's soul to forced penance by issuing warnings about what happens to you if you're evil BUT a paladin?

As for other abilities, it's really a question of what you want. I recall a variation on the old Hand of Glory (a candle made from the severed hand of an executed murderer) where it's light paralyzed the undead. You could give it some power like that to emphasize the whole "lightbearer" meme.

Thugorp
2011-12-26, 12:12 PM
I like that last bit and I defiantly agree with the characterization of the spirit as adviser thing. However I don't really like the idea the item being able to project an image of it's former self. I think that makes it to much like a hole new character(something I don't need TRUST ME!) besides a spectral butler isn't much needed on the rode(oh I may have forgotten to mention that Cecile is one of 2 babysitter characters for my P.C.s)

Thugorp
2011-12-26, 12:13 PM
On the other hand maybe makeing it so that the candle can make a semireal image of teh old guy who affects the world as a gost type thing once a week that wouldn't be so bad.

Debihuman
2011-12-26, 06:43 PM
Magic candle holders could be cool. I'm horrible about pricing items but things like this might be useful:

A candle holder that allows a candle to burn longer and burn brighter, and is not subject to winds (i.e. only the caster could blow out the candle).

Spells for such construction would include: light and control winds. Caster Level would be Druid 9th (control winds is a 5th level druid spell). Aura would be Moderate Transmutation (for the control winds). Then, it's matter of deciding how long the effects should last and ultimately the cost.

Debby

turbo164
2011-12-28, 02:37 PM
Candleholder of Holy Vigilance - While lit, the candle functions as the Detect Evil spell. If the bearer already has Detect Evil from a spell or ability, the range is extended by 30 feet. Once per day, while the candle is lit, the user may cast True Seeing.

Promethean Candleholder - Allows the user to light the inserted candle with a command word. While lit, it may ignite any number of other candles (or other small flammables, such as fuses, tobacco pipes, or loose papers) within 30 feet once per round. Once per day, the user may cast Burning Hands (caster level 5th).

Candleholder of Elegance - If placed beside a meal with a lit candle, even the humblest of trail rations become a grand feast worthy of nobility. All food and drinks become flavored as by a Prestidigitation spell. Once per day it can be used to cast Purify Water. Once per week it can be used to cast Hero's Feast.

Don't have time to stat it out, but being able to turn the candle into a Fire Elemental or Wax Golem once per day could also be cool, as they would have less personality than the excon butler, but could still carry a suitcase or polish his shoes (well...the Wax Golem at least, unless his shoes are fireproof).

Thugorp
2011-12-28, 03:02 PM
Thank you all very much. If any one has any more ideas I would love to see them. :-D

If not(or either way really) I am going to take what you guys have suggested and make one or two finished items out of them... Though I will need help with pricing. It(they) will be up buy tonight or tomorrow morning. :-)

If more stuff is posted before then I will be happy to look it over for inclusion(big woop :-) )

Razanir
2011-12-29, 10:13 PM
A candle holder that allows a candle to burn longer and burn brighter, and is not subject to winds (i.e. only the caster could blow out the candle).

Spells for such construction would include: light and control winds. Caster Level would be Druid 9th (control winds is a 5th level druid spell). Aura would be Moderate Transmutation (for the control winds). Then, it's matter of deciding how long the effects should last and ultimately the cost.

Assuming it's turned on and off with a command word, I'm estimating about 9,000 gp. It sounds high, but the tables give it a higher value- 16,200 gp based off light or 81,000 gp based off control winds. 9,000 actually sounds reasonable

The Witch-King
2011-12-29, 10:37 PM
From the 3.5 SRD:

Everburning Torch

This otherwise normal torch has a continual flame spell cast upon it. An everburning torch clearly illuminates a 20-foot radius and provides shadowy illumination out to a 40-foot radius.

110 gp 1 lb.

Given that the candle is roughly the same but only the holder can extinguish it, I'd go with the cost being say twice that of the Everburning Torch or about 200 gp.