PDA

View Full Version : In the Ashes of Hate (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

cantdrawatall
2011-12-26, 08:10 PM
( I will be using the Updated material in Casey's Campaign setting guide. As such some names are changed from the Burning Hate Campaign. Mainly, the former God's name is now Helirast. For any questions, consult the OC http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12434057#post12434057 . Now on with the show!)

Helirast is Dead, killed by the triumvirate at the end of the Solar War. His hate, which burned worse than any fire in the Material plane, has been extinguished by these good souls. They have risen to the higher plane, to save us from the eternal darkness. But even as they act for the good of us all, evil remains here from the fire of hate. Here, in the Ashes of Hate.

-- Nodwick 7-13

cantdrawatall
2011-12-28, 07:58 PM
(Now it is your story.)

The above passage has been plastered on the wall of a building as you enter the courtyard surrounding the Temple of the Fallen Sun, formerly the High Temple of Helirast. The high pinnacle of the tallest tower eclipses the rest of Firenze in height and architectural beauty.

The wide courtyard itself is a large garden, practically filled to the brim with nature which stands in sharp contrast to the Urban sprawl behind you. Hedges line walkways and you can spot almost every sort of plant around these parts growing in the carefully tended plots. Vegetables and fruits and berries are being picked by the young members of the Rising Sun, their white robes flitting about as they tend to their duties. Some are hanging banners, doubtless advertising the celebration taking place in a few days. What was once the Summer Solstice and a grand celebration to the former sun god is now a celebration of his defeat, Ascension Day.

Not everyone is happy though, you can hear a small group over to the side of the courtyard near a busy street shouting words over the crowd. Two are holding signs, one of which reads, "Helirast is not Dead!" and the other, "McKain is a Liar!" Another man is trying to pass out flyers, while some accept them, most ignore the group. Still others shout back heated words at the group, but the presence of a Paladin in Shining Full-Plate seems to deter anything more than words from both groups.

Beowulf DW
2011-12-28, 08:17 PM
Roderick shakes his head when he catches sight of the demonstrators.

Some people have a lot of trouble changing with the times. Helirast, McKain...Who cares as long as the sun's still shining?, he says, patting the scimitar at his side.

cantdrawatall
2011-12-29, 09:20 AM
A young woman comes up to you holding a basket of fruit wearing white robes, emblazoned across the chest with the half sun associated with those of the Order of the Rising Sun. She offers you an apple, though while small still is coated in the morning dew. Good morning to you sir! How may we help you on this fine day?

Beowulf DW
2011-12-29, 03:52 PM
Roderick smiles as he accepts the apple.

A good morning, indeed. The best way you could help me, Miss, is by telling who in McKain's name they are, he says, jerking a thumb towards the demonstrators, offering to pay for the apple shortly afterward.

cantdrawatall
2011-12-29, 05:25 PM
No No, good sir, as you try to pay, It is a gift. If nothing else keep it and give it to one who needs it more.

As to they, they call themselves Pelorites after an old name for the Usurper. They feel that he is not dead but merely slumbering, and that when he wakes he will wreak wrath against all who had ceased to worship him in his absence. This I could understand, but... the woman lets out a sigh, More than a few of their number can get violent around and toward our Order. They feel that McKain has tricked us in the Usurper's slumber, and that we are as much to blame. That is why the Paladin is on post, for both our safety and theirs.

Turning away from the protesters she grins and says, If you get a chance, come inside the Temple. It really is quite beautiful inside and for the Ascension celebration they have both Demoncleft and the Dawnstar on display.

jpj1421
2011-12-29, 06:55 PM
A halfling woman walks into the courtyard alongside a medium sized gray wolf. She is wearing a brown and green explorer's outfit with the hood up. She is wearing a longbow, arrows, a shortsword and a travelling bag. She seems to be giving the protesters a wide berth as she heads towards the temple entrance.

cantdrawatall
2011-12-29, 08:02 PM
Nymeria, as you head toward the temple entrance, you notice just how beaten and battered the exterior of the temple is. While you has seen remnants of that massive battle which took place here 8 years ago, most buildings had been mended, and even the great city wall had been under extensive repairs, with a wooded wall in for temporary fortification. It seems strange to you that they have done nothing to repair the clear damage to the temple.

Knowledge Local Check DC 10
Of course, Now you remember. You had heard of this as rumor as you were approaching the city. The Temple has been left in this state as a memorial to the fallen soldiers.

As you approach the door, there is a man standing in white robes, How may I help you little one?

jpj1421
2011-12-29, 08:17 PM
[roll0]

With a downward flick of the hand, Nymeria motions for Arya to sit. She draws the hood back to reveal a brown haired, and brown eyed woman of average looks.

I am Nymeria, a Ranger of the Wolfpack tribe. Arya and I've come to your temple to offer our services of protection and guidance to your missionaries as they explore the wilderness.

cantdrawatall
2011-12-29, 08:25 PM
(Thanks to Nat 20 you also know that many soldiers who came to attack/defend the city took up residence in the city booming the population and leading to extreme overcrowding and poverty as most were unable to find regular work.)

Thank you Nymeria, let me lead you to Brother Handel, he is in charge of such manners. As he is about to lead you in he stops and asks a little nervously, Will your wolf be alright out here alone?

Kira_the_5th
2011-12-29, 08:30 PM
Inside the temple, Dr. Vicotr stands, admiring the craftsmanship on both Dawnstar and Demoncleft.

Simply fascinating. No matter how many times I come here, the workmanship on these weapons never cease to amaze me. Perhaps I'll need to branch out soon, and learn some new tricks... If this old man still has time left. Hearing the voices of the rabble outside, the old elf sighs. Confounded whippersnappers! I'm almost old enough to remember the first war, and what they're doing is nothing new. In my day, the Theocracy would have strung them all up in the dungeons by now! Granted, we see how well that worked out in the end for them, but still...

jpj1421
2011-12-29, 08:30 PM
I'm sure she'll be fine, she can take care of herself.

To Arya
Alright Arya, I need you to stay here for a few moments, keep an ear out for my whistle.

To the Man
Lead on sir. What was your name again?

cantdrawatall
2011-12-29, 08:54 PM
To Nymeria: If you are certain, I am Robert. and he leads you into the Temple.

To Dr. Victor: The two weapons sit on a mantle, resting on a yellow cloth. The Dawnstar sits there resplendent and shinning, the only imperfection in it is a small chip along the edge. When you had first seen the blade you had asked about it, and they had said that chip was from the final blow that struck down the Usurper.

Comparatively, the halberd that laid next to it looked practically worn. You knew this one's history easily as it had such a short one. It was forged by some unnamed craftsman for the paladin order. From there it had been enchanted by practically half a dozen different enchanters as McKain had gone along his travels. For a weapon, it had lived a long life, and killed things far in excess of what it had been enchanted for in the first place. You know the clerics around here used it as a metaphor, something about rising up to challenges even if you fell you weren't capable.

Beowulf DW
2011-12-30, 12:15 AM
Roderick takes the young acolyte up on her offer and ventures into the temple, more eager to catch a glimpse of the weapons his father faced not more than a few miles away, outside the gates of the city.

Has it really been only eight years? Barely even half the time I've been on this world, and it seems a lifetime...

Roderick moves to get a closer look at the weapons.

To think that one of these mighty weapons almost made me an orphan...

Roderick smiles mischieviously, and comments, apparently to himself, "Now you see that? That's a sword."

cantdrawatall
2011-12-30, 08:34 AM
Roderick: Already admiring the weapons as you approach is a slightly elderly looking elven man in dark scholar's robes. His hair is beginning to lose a bit of color from its normal green-blond shade. He appears to be scrutinizing the weapons as you make your comments.

Dr. Victor: The young man speaks mostly to himself as he talks about the weapons beside you. He wears little to no armor to speak of and has a Scimitar at his hip. Perception DC 20 There is something odd about that blade. Craft (Weapons) DC 10 It's hilt and sheath seem something far older than what this young man should be able to acquire. (If above 20 Its older than anything you have ever seen! It has markings indicative of the 3rd age!

JP: The inside of the Temple seems a stark contrast to the outside, the surfaces polished and gleaming in the morning light. You see there are few inside other than these clerical types. Each seem to be going about with various chores. You see two others however stooping over a mantle, one in traveling gear, and the other in dark robes. Robert leads you up to a older gentleman with yellow borders to his robes. Brother Handel, this is Nymeria Wolfpack and she wishes to speak to you on business.

jpj1421
2011-12-30, 10:32 AM
Nymeria gives a passing glance at the adventurers on her way into the room, before being introduced to the Brother Handel. She raises an eyebrow at Robert's words, before turning to Handel.

Uh, yes I am Nymeria Ranger of the Wolfpack Tribe. I have come to your temple with my wolf, Arya, to employ our services as protectors and guides to your missionaries as they travel throughout the land. I imagine your missionaries are not as experianced in the wilderness and could use our help.

cantdrawatall
2011-12-30, 11:05 AM
Thank you Robert, I can handle this. With a Nod, Robert heads back to his duties.

The Wolfpack Tribe, I have heard tales of your people. Nomadic and one with their namesake animals. Mostly travel in the forests to the east? He leads you down a corridor lined with doors. What brings brings a little one this far from her pack if you don't mind me asking?

Knowledge (Arcana/Religion) DC 15You see the dim flash or twinkle in his right eye, indicative of a Detect Evil Spell. You had seen in the eyes of your father when strangers were met (assuming your father was a druid).

jpj1421
2011-12-30, 12:08 PM
Knowledge Arcana d20+1

"I've come to Firenze to see first hand the change in the Empire. I don't think it's a secret that the Nomadic people's of this continet were not well loved by the old regime...but the new order proclaims equality. I wanted to see the truth of it. I would have set out for Frienze the moment the news of Ascension reached us, but...I am the eldest child of Chief Romulus, and I had a responsibility to see my brother through his training, so that he was prepared for his birthright. When he reached adulthood, I told Father that it was time one of our pack saw what awaited us in this new world, and set out with Arya. As the temple is so important in the new order, it seemed a logical place to approach first."

Not exactly a bluff, but I figured it would be appropriate (Assuming he's human): d20+2
Arya pauses in places as she tells her story, while nothing seems to be untruthful, she's not telling the whole story.

jpj1421
2011-12-30, 12:10 PM
Knowledge Arcana [roll0]
Not exactly a bluff, but I figured it would be appropriate (Assuming he's human): [roll1]
Arya pauses in places as she tells her story, while nothing seems to be untruthful, she's not telling the whole story.

Beowulf DW
2011-12-30, 12:20 PM
Roderick gives the old elf a nod in greeting, then looks up from the weapons to get a better look at the Temple.

Perception: [roll0]

cantdrawatall
2011-12-30, 01:38 PM
Private: Handel's Sense motive [roll0]

Nymeria: He seems to buy your story. Good for us then. He smiles, We are indeed a young church and spreading the good word as far as possible in these uncertain times is our current goal. I have a map in here in my office, he leads to a door, If you could show me where your most experience is, I'm certain we must have a... He was cut off by the load crash, described below, which sounded through the hall. One moment please, and he begins to move back down the hallway toward the main chamber where you had just come.

Roderick: The inside of the temple is much as your father had described in his stories. Polished marble reliefs of various celestials adorn the columns leading up to the high vaulted ceiling. There is only one stain glass window not described to you by your father, one that depicts a rising sun, and three men standing upon it as if it was a hillock. They seem to stand triumphant, and proud, a crowd of people behind cheering.

There is a loud clatter as a platter is dropped behind Roderick and Dr. Victor. Turning reveals that the cause is a young girl no more than 12, dressed much as the rest of the Order in plain white robes adorned with the rising sun. She is looking right at you two, and she rushes forward. It is you! It really is you!

jpj1421
2011-12-30, 01:53 PM
(Assuming that we're still within earshot of the noise.)

Nymeria spins around at the sound of the clatter, and puts her hand to to her shortsword.

Just for good Measure
Perception:[roll0]

Beowulf DW
2011-12-30, 01:56 PM
Feeling rather perplexed, Roderick calls to the girl, "Who? It really is who?"

cantdrawatall
2011-12-30, 02:17 PM
Nymeria, you can easily hear what is being said in the main chamber.

It is you, from my vision! Looking at Roderick, The man who dances with a blade of night in step with ages lost, and looking at Dr. Victor, and he who finds life in the dust of the dead and forgotten.

Mary, what are you doing? A priest comes up from a nearby hallway.

Brother Handel, they are the ones in my vision, I need to take them to Mother Catherine.

jpj1421
2011-12-30, 02:26 PM
Nymeria follows alongside her guide, Handal, out from the hallway into the main chamber, to watch the procedings.

Beowulf DW
2011-12-30, 04:46 PM
Though still somewhat confused, Roderick feels a twinge of apprehension. He might have simply dismissed any mention about a vision, if it hadn't described him so aptly.

Roderick looks toward the approaching priest, hoping for an explanation.

cantdrawatall
2011-12-30, 05:54 PM
Now now Mary, hold on just a second. Weren't there four in your visions?

Yes, there was the child who smelt of pine and fur... finally turning to see Nymeria, and blood. Her eyes open wide, It is her! I see, not a child but a halfling!

Handel turned to look down on Nymeria, What? Her too? The young Mary nodded earnestly. Handel sighed, It seems that we all have something to discuss with Catherine, Head of our order. Could you all follow me? As he gestured back to the hall.

Cognoscan
2011-12-30, 07:26 PM
A dark-haired woman enters into the courtyard to admire the greenery. After sitting down on a bench to rest, bird begin to gather around her. Reaching into her bags, she pulls out some feed for them. "Aren't you all looking lovely today", she says, apparently to the birds.

Kira_the_5th
2011-12-30, 07:47 PM
Checks:
Perception Check: [roll0]

Knowledge Arcana Check: [roll1]

Dr. Victor nods back to the young man who approached him sacred weapons as well. Just as he was about to turn and leave, he hears the noise behind him, and turns more swiftly.

What's all this, then? Visions and such. You must be mistaken, my dear, I've never met this whippersnapper before in my life! Well, at least I don't think I did...Come to think of it, I may have known your father. or your grandfather, anyway. Tell me, boy, what's your name? Victor says, turning from the girl to the man standing next to him and giving both a purposeful look.

I'm going to use Detect Magic to look them both over, making sure to steer clear of the relics in the room as to not burn out my retinas from magical overload.

Kira_the_5th
2011-12-30, 08:23 PM
(Fixing the derps in my previous posts)

A small black bird sits calmly on Victor's shoulder, looking inquisitively around the room.

Perception (not Profession) check: [roll0]

cantdrawatall
2011-12-30, 08:31 PM
Dr. Victor: As the others talk you focus on the Magical Auras emanating from these two strangers. At first, the Overwhelming auras of the two major artifacts next to you make it impossible to discern what is on their persons, but soon, you detect a strong emanating from the Man's Scimitar. While not a powerful as the two Artifacts next to you, this blade has more than your standard enchantment upon it. As your senses focus further, you see that they both have many enchanted pieces on them, but nothing more than adventurers tend to, save for that very powerful sword. Was he not... talking to it a moment ago, and not himself?

Fluttershy (I can't find your name Scott): The birdies eagerly feed out of your open palm, they seem to have no fear of you at all, which is to be expected after all. What wasn't expected was this wonderful garden in the center of this city. The city is so much more crowded and dirty than home, and there doesn't seem to be many nice people at all. But this garden is so beautiful and while there are still far more people her than home, they seem to be much nicer.

Beowulf DW
2011-12-30, 10:45 PM
Roderick turns toward the old man, shifting slightly, then hesitatingly says, "Usher. My name is Roderick Usher."

Beowulf DW
2011-12-31, 02:46 PM
DM: Knowledge Arcana check [roll0]

Kira_the_5th
2011-12-31, 04:19 PM
DM:
Will an appraise or Knowledge (History) check work on the sword? If so, there will be rolls below, if not, ignore them. I'm also going to make a check to see if I recognise his family name with Knowledge (History).

Rolls:
Appraise: [roll0]
Knowledge (History) (Sword): [roll1]
Knowledge (History) (Usher): [roll2]

cantdrawatall
2011-12-31, 05:43 PM
Dr. Victor: Your checks are quite successful. Long years reading old tomes in the dim light of candle has payed off for you this day. Usher, as humans go, is an ancient bloodline. Warriors by nature they have taken up more than just a family trade in it. They breed for it, much as one would breed horses. Only the greatest amongst them get the familial rites, and as such the familial inheritance. This sword must be part of of it, by the looks of it.

Really, it appears to have been made when Men were a fledgling race far back in the beginning of the 3rd age. Old runes litter the hilt in spiraling brilliance of inlaid silver and ebony. You can not make out what they say, but you think you might be able to identify the tongue if you had time and the right books. Even the leather, while well worn, must be protected as by enchanting, as it appears supple yet, even if it was tanned in a time when some gods were new. There were few races back then that could forge such a blade, and fewer still that were mortal if those old legends held true.

How this sword got from that long lost time to the hoard of House Usher, then to the hands of this young man, would be a fine story indeed.

Damn fine bit of writing if I don't say so myself *Pats own back*

jpj1421
2012-01-01, 12:49 PM
Nymeria looks a little unsettled by the outbursts.

"Well...I don't know anything about visions, but as I was already following you, I see no reason to stop now. Lead on."

As she walks, Nymeria's eyes keep flicking to the little girl.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-01, 05:29 PM
Deciding that he'd given the old elf enough time to offer his own name, Roderick decided to press the issue.

"And your name is...?"

cantdrawatall
2012-01-02, 07:41 PM
Nymeria: (I rolled a perception check for you, to see if noticed this.)

You've spent a long time looking at humans. Watching them from the shadows, learning how they move, what they can do. It was all in part for keeping your little tribe safe. Humans, namely bandits and soldiers, amongst others were your main threat. Something, about this little girl seems off. The way she holds herself, and the way she stands, you're not sure a human can do that. Its slight, but nagging.

Brother Handel clears his throat, Uh... Gentlemen? This way please. Sister Catherine was quite specific that she wanted to handle this vision personally. He continues to gesture down the hallway, politely trying to lead you down it. Nymeria, the halfling already seems to be at it's entrance.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-02, 11:31 PM
Roderick follows the priest, his look of confusion giving way to one of annoyance at his ignorance of the situation.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-04, 07:50 PM
Dr. Victor follows along without significant protest, curious as to what is going on as well.

Dr. Victor, Roderick, and Nymeria: As you head down the hallway, Mary runs on ahead and enters a door on the right at the end of the hallway, Mother Catherine! I found them, they are just as they were in my visions!

As you enter the room, you can see a woman getting up from behind a desk covered in scrolls and parchments and books. The entire place is littered with the remnants of a secretarial hurricane. Everything save for the bow hung behind her on the wall. It is unstrung, and appears to be little more than a common yew longbow, nice quality but hardly masterwork. She herself looks to be in her mid thirties to early forties, with deep worry lines on her face. She is straightening her hair, but it still looks unkempt. What is this now Mary?

Dr Victor: This is not the first time you have met Sister Catherine. As head of the temple, it had been by her good graces that you have been allowed access to the private library of the temple. That said, there are still some books you believe to be in a special collection held by none other than Bishop Brennon Harris prior to the war. As of yet, she has not allowed you access to that collection.

My visions, Mary excitedly beamed, you said when they arrived I could go on my quest! Here they are!

Turning to Brother Handel, she dismisses him with a wave. I'm sorry about the state of my office, good madam and sirs. Mary, clear off that chair for them. She pointed to a chair in the back of the office as she worked to pull two more from the wall. Weren't there supposed to be four of them Mary?

She's outside.

How do you know that?

Where else would 'One of the glen, fathered by magic and raised by nature' be?

Catherine rolled her eyes slightly and asked, Can you please go and fetch her as well then? As Mary rushes off, You'll have to excuse Mary, she's quite ambitious, but a very talented cleric of our order. As of late she has had visions, ones of danger to the east. She shuffles some paper around her desk till she finds the parchment she was looking for. She says she sees a night of smoke without flame, screaming and a loud whooshing, like that of a massive flag blowing in the wind. She also drew this, some sort of cliff, but I have been unable to track down where it is.

(Make a Knowledge Local/Geography, and JP add your bonus for your favored terrain as this is in your homeland)

Fluttershy: You are sitting there calmly feeding the birds when a young girl, no more than twelve dressed as the priestesses are, with long white robes and and their head covered with a nuns habit, both adorned with the sign of the half sun. She asks you, standing about 10 feet away as to not disterb your birds, Excuse me, are you the One of the glen, fathered by magic and raised by nature? I think I've seen you in a vision I had.

jpj1421
2012-01-04, 08:02 PM
Nymeria steps forward to look at the sketch.

"May I see that?"

Knowledge Geography: [roll0]

cantdrawatall
2012-01-05, 07:50 AM
Nymeria: You recognize the rock face. It overshadows the little hamlet of Hooper's Ferry, a crossing of the Rup river about a two days journey from here. You know that of late it has been seeing less and less travelers due to a recent spike in bandits along the road.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-05, 01:45 PM
I don't have any ranks in Knowledge local/geography, but I'll make an INT check, if you like.

[roll0]

jpj1421
2012-01-05, 02:16 PM
Nymeria's eyes light up with recognition. And then her eyebrows furrow.

"I know this place. This rockface overshadows Hooper's Ferry...a hamlet crossing the Rup river about two days from here. People don't travel there much any more because of bandits....

You say this...girl, saw this in a vision? Is it perhaps a memory, from where does she hail?"

cantdrawatall
2012-01-05, 06:01 PM
Catherines eyes narrow when you pause on the word girl. Impossible, she has lived in this temple these last 8 years, and before that in the city on the streets. Besides, these visions are not just dreams that come to her in the night. They are accompanied by manifestations. If you saw you would know.

She gets a map down from a nearby shelf, as she spreads it out on the desk, Nymeria can see that this maps is wholly inaccurate, forests in the wrong sections and entire towns either displaced or missing on the map. Hooper's Ferry isn't even labeled, but at least the road it serves is.

jpj1421
2012-01-05, 06:41 PM
Nymeria takes one look at the map and frowns.

"No, no, that just won't do."

She reaches into her bag and pulls out a map of her own, unrolling it on top of the map. This map is very precise, constructed with the utmost care and attention to detail.

Profession: Cartographer: Take a 20 +4.

She puts her finger just above the capital, and then draws a line with it to Hooper's Ferry.

"Ah, yes, here it is. "

Beowulf DW
2012-01-05, 08:43 PM
Unable to contain himself any longer, Roderick bursts out, "I still have no idea what's going on or why this even concerns me! I could, and I probably should, walk away right now. What do you even want us to do?!"

cantdrawatall
2012-01-05, 09:02 PM
Catherine looks up from the freshly laid map in front of her. She clears her throat and says, Well, we sort of want you to go there and find out what this whole thing is about. There rest of the vision is... rather vague. Her face forms a bit of a grimace as she says this. Quickly adding, We'll compensate you for your time, of course. Its just that, well, these visions aren't like a set of instructions. All we know is that we're supposed to send you to there. I know McKain believes you'll know what to do when you get there.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-05, 09:13 PM
Roderick gives a sigh of resignation, Fine. I'll be your holy errand boy, or blessed babysitter or whatever.

Cognoscan
2012-01-06, 04:27 PM
Without looking up, the woman, going by the name of Lorelai, briefly sighs and answers the young girl: "I suppose that could in fact describe me...and what would this vision entail, little lady?" She then begins to put away her feed, anticipating a lengthier interruption.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-06, 05:20 PM
Lorelai (The character formerly known as Fluttershy): Mary sits down next to you, I'm Mary. I'm one of the order of the rising sun. Some months ago, I began to have visions. Ones featuring you and three others. Right now the others are in Mother Catherine's office, and they are discussing the visions I've had. She smiles as she looks at the birds still circling the two of you. I like birds too, they are very pretty.

Roderick: Your sword... whatever his name is... Pipes up Don't worry young one, some of the best fights come visions. It ought to be better than the bandits and beasts we have been fighting as of late.

Cognoscan
2012-01-06, 06:28 PM
"Aren't they just?" replies Lorelai, as she charms one onto and outstretched hand. "I always expect the worst out of cities, but then I find nice places like this one. Your order has been doing a great job with the plants here too..."

She drifts off for a moment to gaze around the garden. "Oh, sorry, you may call me Lorelai. I suppose you want me to go to the office as well? I'm afraid you'll have to show me the way."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-06, 07:34 PM
Mother Catherine says we planted this garden for the good of everyone in the city. After the war, most of the old courtyard was torn up anyway, so planting was easy. Even in the worst of things, good can grow. She smiles that smile that only the true innocence of a young life can foster, Come, it is this way.

Mary leads you into the battered cathedral, past the spacious interior and polished gleam of marble. Past the two relics set on the mantle, and into the long hallway leading to the office. The doorway is open, and from the office you can hear a young man say, Fine. I'll be your holy errand boy, or blessed babysitter or whatever.

Cognoscan
2012-01-07, 12:24 PM
(Neon green is a pain to read...I'm changing her font color.)

"Um, excuse me, is this the office of...um...Mother Catherine?" She briefly glances to Mary for confirmation. "This young lady wanted me to talk to you about a vision she had. I hope I'm not intruding..." she says, letting the sentence drift off. "Oh, I'm Lorelai, by the way. Are you all also here about the vision?"

jpj1421
2012-01-08, 10:31 AM
Nymeria looks up from her map at the outbursts. She realizes she's standing on a chair to show off her map, and steps down from it.

"Ah, yes, I am Nymeria, Ranger of the Wolfpack. While I don't recommend this girl go to Hooper's Ferry, if there's to be a journey anyway, I'd rather be your hired Ranger on it. It can be dangerous out there, and I know the land. "

cantdrawatall
2012-01-08, 11:53 AM
Hooper's Ferry? Is that where the cliff is? I'm going to go pack! and Mary dashes out of the office, presumably to pack.

Catherine raises her arm as Mary dashes off, Wait! but too late Mary is off down the hallway. I was rather hoping to try to talk her out of it. Looking to Lorelai, Please take a seat, as she gestures to the last empty chair. She quickly briefs Lorelai on the visions.

Assuming you all decide to go along on this vision quest, else, well: Diplomacy Check: Screw you here is the rails, Muhahahahahahahaha!

... and so you can see, we are not sure exactly what you'll encounter when you get there. She opens a drawer and pulls out some amulets, forged of simple iron, they are holy symbols of the half sun. You are now under the employ of the Order of the Rising Sun. You are to go to Hooper's Ferry and find the true message in Mary's Visions.

Nymeria, consider this your trial mission, if you return successful there will be plenty of work for you here.

Dr. Victor, since I'm certain you put of some sort of resistance during the last segue, were it not for your current inability to post, I will let you into the private collection as reward for this mission.

Carry these with you all, if you should be in need of assistance during your travels, these will show you are friends to brothers of our faith.

Knowledge Arcana/Religion DC 15: These amulets hum slightly as you touch them. You can either see or know that should they be away from your person more than 1 hour, the magics inside them will destroy the amulet, rendering them useless. That, and they are rather trendy.

One thing on more of a personal matter, she glances at the door to see if Mary had returned, Mary is very dear to me. I found her here in the streets of Firenze during the siege and the Day of Night. she glances back at the simple bow on the wall, as if in memory. I am as much a mother to her as any in the world, and she a daughter to me. While she is a very capable cleric, one far in advance of her years, she is still my child. Keep her safe and make sure she returns to me.

jpj1421
2012-01-08, 05:52 PM
Knowledge religion [roll0]

jpj1421
2012-01-08, 05:53 PM
Nymeria takes the amulet, looks at it and understands what it is. She puts it on.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-08, 07:08 PM
Knowledge Arcana check:[roll0]

Beowulf DW
2012-01-08, 07:13 PM
Roderick accepts the amulet, dangling it before his eyes for a moment before putting it on.

"Family is a precious thing, Mother Catherine. It's the one thing in this world that should always be there for you. The girl will be safe with us," says the young magus in an almost nostalgic tone.

jpj1421
2012-01-11, 08:44 AM
Nymeria pauses for a moment.

"Perhaps I should introduce you to my wolf Arya, see if you are comfortable with her around before we head out. May I bring her in here?"

Beowulf DW
2012-01-11, 12:25 PM
Roderick raises an eyebrow and mumbles, "Halflings with wolves. What will they think of next?"

cantdrawatall
2012-01-11, 06:52 PM
(as Dr. Victor and Lorelai have been unresponsive, they accept the amulets and go off into the city to acquire supplies. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.)

Catherine looks to the halfling, Wolf? You have a wolf here in the city? I guess I should go and meet it.

jpj1421
2012-01-12, 08:42 AM
"I'll go and bring her here."
Nymeria heads out the door, and back towards the entrance of the temple.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-12, 03:55 PM
Nymeria: When you reach the door, you hear a bit of yelling outside. Get it off me! As you open the door that serves as the entrance to the temple, you can see that Arya is sitting on a man, a priest trying to calm him down as the man screams for his life. Arya seems perfectly pleased with the whole situation.

Kira_the_5th
2012-01-17, 07:48 PM
"Ah, this should prove sufficient." Dr. Victor says, finishing up packing the last few spell components into his bag. "Quoth? Would you go off and locate the others for me? Send them a message that I'll be waiting in the library when they are ready to depart."

Got it, Boss." the raven replies with a deep, croaking voice, before flying off into the sky.

Sorry for the delays, but I'm back and ready to kick into full gear!

jpj1421
2012-01-17, 08:57 PM
Nymeria runs over to Arya.

"What's going on here?"

Beowulf DW
2012-01-17, 09:23 PM
Pardon me, Mother Catherine, but I think I left some items in the inn I was staying at. Specifically, my spell components. Excuse me.

Roderick hurries out through the main entrance.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-17, 10:22 PM
Roderick steps up to the door to see a wolf nearly as large as himself sitting merrily on another man.

Oh dear, said the nearby priest, You wolf was sitting here and this man tried to remove it from the step, despite my protests. There was a bit of a scuffle and somehow its ended up like this. Please call her off, it wouldn't look good to have someone injured on the temple steps.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-17, 10:29 PM
Roderick stops and stares for a moment before some part of him thinks: Just keep walking. This is none of your concern.

jpj1421
2012-01-18, 11:33 AM
Nymeria nods at the priest.

"Come here, Arya"

Arya climbs off of the man and comes to Nymeria. Nymeria playfuly scratches the top of Arya's head.

"That was expertly done Arya, well done."

Nymeria then walks over to the man, to see if he needs any help.

"You're not hurt are you? I don't belive starting an altercation with a wolf was the wisest descion you've made."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-18, 01:24 PM
Roderick: As you are leaving the temple, before you get to the entrance, you spot Mary coming out of a doorway. Catherine, who had followed you out of her office, stops her and speaks with her in whisper.
Perception DC 25: Mary, take this. I pray that it will help you on your journey. Do not let them see your true self yet, I do not trust them. Oh Mother, everything will be alright. I pray that is so.
She takes off her head coverings and removes some sort of jewelry from her forehead. She gives it to the young girl and proceeds out to the door you are exiting.

The man on the ground seems more than irate, I'd say bringing a dangerous animal into my city isn't a wise decision, B!tch. It could have eaten me whole! Do you know who I am? A cursory glance of the man shows he wears fine clothes, with several rings on his fingers. Perception check from Roderick or Nymeria to discern more.

jpj1421
2012-01-18, 06:40 PM
Perception (+2 for Human) [roll0]

jpj1421
2012-01-18, 06:45 PM
Nymeria feels her anger creep into her soul.

"No, I don't know who you are, and I don't appreciate. All I see is a glittery jackass who picked a fight he wasn't prepared for."

She walks right up to him and pokes him in the chest and snarls in his face.

Intimidate
+2 if Human [roll0]

Beowulf DW
2012-01-18, 06:51 PM
Perception 1: [roll0]
Perception 2: [roll1]

cantdrawatall
2012-01-18, 06:59 PM
The man seems to cower from your jabs, it is quite a humorous sight for anyone outside of this, seeing a fully grown man reeling back, face grimaced from a 3 ft tall woman. Even the priest who was on the scene snickers slightly to see the man so humiliated. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. he says in a panicked voice.

Mary comes out or the temple door, she seems dressed in a traveling cloak a size or two too large for her, a large pack filled to the brim weighing her down in a way she is clearly not accustomed to. In her hand she grips a simple staff of dark wood. Otherwise she is dressed as before, in the white robes of her order. She spots the wolf heeled, just behind Nymeria. She walks over and gently strokes the wolf's thick fur. Oh isn't she just darling.

Nymeria: It is up to you as to how the wolf acts, but you should know that the wolf does not smell human on her, it is a smell it has never encountered before.

jpj1421
2012-01-18, 09:51 PM
Mary's appearance breaks Nymeria's concentration on the man, causing the anger to dissipate.

"Well sir, who are you, and what were you trying to do with Arya?"

Beowulf DW
2012-01-19, 02:17 AM
Roderick grabs his spell components and his other possessions from the room he rented, and begins to head back to the temple.

Let's see...mercury, shards of mirror...Now I just need to get that girl a cloak she won't trip over...

Kira_the_5th
2012-01-19, 03:18 AM
(That feeling when you realize three out of four party members are arcane casters...)

"Meeting at the temple, you say? Well, better meet them there, then." Victor readies his things to leave as Quoth fills him in on the details of what's going on. "Kids today with their visions and their secret jobs. Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy pilgrimage nonsense!

"Back in your day, boss, the main religion of the land was trying to kill you..."

Oh, be quiet, you. Let's just meet the others so we can get this wild goose chase over with.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-19, 08:28 AM
(Not to Worry, I'm certain McKain in all his godly wisdom wouldn't pick you unlikely lot unless the challenges presented would excel to you varied expertise) :smallbiggrin:

I am Hyrim Cooper. The priest who had been giggling suddenly stopped as his face drained of color. And I didn't mean any harm to your wolf Miss, I just wanted to look tough.

Knowledge Local DC 15: Cooper is the name of the current Chancellor of Firenze.

DC 20: His name is Carl Cooper. Most people consider him a little corrupt, but his fingers are in enough moneybags that he has won the last two elections, hands down.

DC 25: His son is Hyrim Cooper.

jpj1421
2012-01-19, 08:11 PM
Knowledge Local [roll0]

jpj1421
2012-01-19, 08:13 PM
Nymeria thinks carefully about what she says next.

"Cooper? That's the Chancellor's name is it not? Any relation?

cantdrawatall
2012-01-19, 08:27 PM
I'm his son. Chancellor Carl Cooper is my father.

jpj1421
2012-01-19, 08:40 PM
Nymeria pauses to consider this, before replying.

"Hmmm...well I am Nymeria, daughter of Chief Grey Wind of the Wolfpack. Remember that when you tell your father of this. The Wolfpack is not be trifled with any longer."

And with that, she turns her back on him and walks back to her wolf.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-20, 12:11 PM
Hyrim scampers away, if he had a tail, it would have been between his legs. I'm not sure you should have done that Miss. said the priest, still amazed at what he witnessed, The Cooper family has a lot of clout here.

(Lets fast forward a bit, where people are gathering back at the temple after preparing.)

Kira_the_5th
2012-01-21, 04:43 PM
"So, remind a senile old man again, where are we going, exactly?" Victor says, as the team meets up again in the temple. And are there any magics you need before we set out?

cantdrawatall
2012-01-21, 07:42 PM
We're going to Hooper's Ferry, Mary replies as she pushes on a small loaf of bread, shoving it deeper into the stuffed pack. There we will find the source of the smoke without fire, and find what this vision means. Looking up from her bag, I think I'll be fine. Many of the brothers and sisters have donated their equipment to me.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-21, 10:08 PM
"Yes, we can see that," says Roderick, looking with some concern at the bulging pack and hoping that it isn't a Bag of Holding. Gods knew what would happen it one of those burst.

"Here, let me help you with some of that. I have a Bag of Holding that hasn't been earning it's keep as of late. If you throw your back out trying to carry that bag, I'm pretty sure I forfeit my fee."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-21, 10:29 PM
Oh my thank you, as she pulls out some food rations and a small pot, handing them over to you to put in your bag-o-holding. It is also quite clear that her bag is simply an ordinary backpack. I guess once everyone gets here we'll get going?

Beowulf DW
2012-01-22, 12:37 AM
"I see no reason why not. We can introduce each other as we head out. I hesitate to ask this of a child, but can you defend yourself?"

cantdrawatall
2012-01-22, 11:44 AM
As she stands, pack uneasy on her shoulders, I have trained with some simple weaponry, and I brought this staff along in case some bandit or such came too close, She tamps the wooden stick into the pavers, and Sister Susan lent me this set of chain, and she's nearly the same size as I. She makes a bit of a twist and you hear the clinking of chain-mail from beneath her robes and smiles, but mostly our faith will protect us, and our brave minds and strong hearts. Where do you suppose Lorelai and Nymeria are?

Beowulf DW
2012-01-22, 11:49 AM
Roderick strokes his chin as he thinks.

"Last I saw, Nymeria was trying to get her wolf to stop using some hot-shot as a chair, just outside the main entrance. I've no idea where Lorelai went. Do you know where she wandered off to, Victor?"

Kira_the_5th
2012-01-23, 05:03 PM
I believe I saw her in town while Quoth and I were picking up spell components. the old elf says, after a moment of thought. I believe our little naturalist will be here shortly.

Read: If I don't see him tonight, I will sit Scott down tomorrow at club at the latest and force him to post. Short version is he's in that mood where you haven't posted in a few days, and are nervous about checking back in.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-23, 05:51 PM
I had seen Arya sitting on that man as well, it was quite hilarious. Upon hearing Lorelai should be there soon, Good, I'd hate to go without her. I'm sure that whatever lies ahead, it requires all of us.

I've switched Mary's text to this, to prevent confusion between her and Dr. Victor.

jpj1421
2012-01-23, 07:29 PM
Nymeria had told Arya of her suspicions with regards to Mary, and told her to keep an eye on her. Nymeria walked into the room and nodded at the group.

"I may have just declared war on the Chancellor's Family, it may be best for us to leave as soon as possible. "

Nymeria patted Arya's head.

"This is Mary, why don't you say hello?"

Arya walks up to Mary and takes a sniff.

[roll0]

cantdrawatall
2012-01-23, 07:36 PM
As Arya goes up to Mary, if takes a deep sniff and immediately dunks his head into her bag and pulls out a rasher of bacon and began to chew on the tough meat.

Cognoscan
2012-01-23, 09:18 PM
Lorelai finishes up all the errands she originally came to the city for, taking her own sweet time to enjoy all the sights of the changing city. Once she has stocked up on her supplies of herbs and other ingredients, she meanders back to meet up with the rest of the party.

"Oh dear, I do hope I haven't kept everyone waiting too long. I'm afraid I have difficulty rushing myself when doing my shopping," she says, glancing around at the party. "Are we about to head out?"

Casey was all of 100% right; I got caught up in work for a while and completely forgot to post...and then got antsy about posting after waiting so damn long. But I'm back in, and I'll try to post daily from now on (or else Casey should yell at me loudly).

cantdrawatall
2012-01-23, 10:01 PM
Arya! That bacon was for all of us! She quickly pulls the rest of her bag away from the wolf as it finishes up on the salted pork product.

Yes, let us be on our way! The young girl slings the bag up, takes up her staff and set forward a few steps before stopping, turning back and asking, Is this the right way?

Everyone: Coming up will be our first Encounter, so when would you all like to do it? I'm free after about 5ish every weekday or we could try to run it during setsucon. Until whatever time we do the encounter will be role playing of you guys leaving the city and walking in the woods on your first day of travel. There aren't any planned plot points until the encounter, but if you role-play your way into one I'll reveal it.

jpj1421
2012-01-24, 07:19 PM
Knowledge Geography [roll0]

jpj1421
2012-01-24, 07:20 PM
Nymeria sighs internally.

"No, no it's not, it's this way."

She sets off in the opposite direction Mary was heading.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-24, 07:43 PM
Oh, as Mary turns and begins heading that way, This will be amazing! I've never been on an adventure before.

Cognoscan
2012-01-25, 10:25 AM
Lorelai falls into step behind Nymeria. Glancing over at little Mary, she chimes, "I do love a good adventure. I've been on a few myself; they're always so exciting. A little scary, sometimes, but definitely exciting. I hope we can keep your first one fun."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-25, 07:33 PM
Good! and she smiles. As the group walks out of the city though the busy streets, she looks around excitedly. As she passes out the old gates of the city, she says, Usher... You wouldn't happen to know of the Usher who fought against McKain at this very gate in the siege?

Kira_the_5th
2012-01-25, 09:28 PM
"I believe I do, actually. I gave him one of my amulets just before the battle. Good thing, too, given the number of arrows flying during that battle." Victor begins to trail off as he starts to think. "He was a good man, he was. Is he still alive, I wonder?"

Beowulf DW
2012-01-25, 09:35 PM
"Trust me, he's very much alive, Victor. A bit hen-pecked perhaps, but still alive."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-27, 10:04 AM
Is he truly as Honorable in real life as he is in the texts? His battle with McKain is my favorite part! Her voice betrays her excitement as she looks expectantly at Roderick.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-27, 12:07 PM
Roderick ponders for a moment.

"Yes, Mary. He is. A righteous man, even when Gran-when his father and brothers are not."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-29, 03:55 PM
Wait... are you, she pauses and does the math, his son?

Beowulf DW
2012-01-30, 11:54 AM
Roderick pauses for a moment. He's lied before, but decides not to this time, to this child. The words would leave a bad taste in his mouth.

...Yes. His youngest, actually.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-30, 01:11 PM
Sense motive Check on Mary:[roll0]

cantdrawatall
2012-01-30, 01:16 PM
Seemingly oblivious to your pain talking about it, she says, That is so amazing! Did he train you to use your sword?

Beowulf DW
2012-01-30, 02:41 PM
Roderick winces a bit. It's hard for a child to pick up on social cues.
He taught me the basics, but as for my style itself, no, he did not teach me.

cantdrawatall
2012-01-30, 07:48 PM
Everyone:First Encounter will be at 7:00 EST on Skype this Wednesday 1st of Feb

Beowulf DW
2012-01-30, 07:50 PM
Roderick rounds on the others.

"Well, anyone else feel like sharing?"

jpj1421
2012-01-30, 08:53 PM
Nymeria turns her head to look back and says:

"I am the daughter of Grey Wind of the Wolf Pack. I came to Firenze to see if the racist the tendencies of the old regime had died out truly. Perhaps peace can be found between the peoples of the continent. Or not...we'll see"

cantdrawatall
2012-01-31, 01:14 PM
Mary seems to finally get the hint that perhaps maybe Roderick doesn't want to talk about his past. She instead seems to jump on Nymeria's new topic. That's a very noble goal Nymeria. I hope that we find acceptance for you and your kind here in Firenze.

Beowulf DW
2012-01-31, 01:48 PM
Roderick looks a bit baffled at Nymeria's words.

"I didn't even know the old Theocracy had any racist tendencies. I had believed that as long one believed what they wanted, they were content to merely lie to everyone. Then again...I never did see all that many halflings as a child...Oh, dear..."

jpj1421
2012-01-31, 09:57 PM
Nymeria looks from Roderick to Mary and back.

"Well, in the old days there would be skirmishes between my kind and the humans. Though to be honest, that has dwindle quite a bit in the past few years. And I was able to walk right up to the temple without any issues. So perhaps the times are changing."

cantdrawatall
2012-01-31, 11:25 PM
I for one can say that the Order of the Rising Sun holds no ill will toward any good natured person, whether they be of Man, elf, dwarf, gnome or halfling. Mother Catherine has told me of converts all over the land of Dawn, of every sort of race and creature. We are all brothers in faith, even if not by birth.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-01, 08:10 PM
As you leave Firenze, Lorelai seperates from your group as she needs to stop off at home to tend to her affairs but promisses to rejoin you before you make Hooper Ferry.

Along the road, you are attacked by a Dire Lion, who attempts to make you its next meal. You managed to fend it off however long enough for Dr. Victor to put it into a state of rigor mortis, allowing Roderick and Nymeria to easily finish the beast off. Nearby you find its lair where it had dragged off many a traveler.

XP and Loot:400xp each
1) Flail, dire 90 gp [57.78%, Inferior Quality] : 52gp [+]
2) Flail, dire 90 gp [94.44%, Low Quality] : 85gp [+]
3) Shortbow, composite 75 gp [114.67%, High Quality] : 86gp [+]
4) Lantern, hooded 7 gp [85.71%, Low Quality] : 6gp [+]
5) Fishing net, 25 sq. ft. 4 gp [Standard Quality] : 4gp [+]
6) Mace, light 5 gp [60%, Inferior Quality] : 3gp [+]
7) Siangham 3 gp [Standard Quality] : 3gp [+]
8) Cleric's vestments 5 gp [60%, Inferior Quality] : 3gp [+]
9) Chest (empty) 2 gp [150%, Very Fine Quality] : 3gp [+]
10) Rope, hemp (50 ft.) 1 gp [Standard Quality] : 1gp [+]
11) Divine Scroll, Hold animal {2nd/3rd} : 150gp [+]
12) Masterwork Blowgun : 302gp [+]

Gems and Jewels Breakdown
Malachite 5gp, Tigereye 8gp, Obsidian 8gp, Blue quartz 5gp, Freshwater (irregular) pearl 2gp, Turquoise 3gp, Azurite 3gp, Tigereye 4gp, Azurite 1gp
Coins(38gp)

cantdrawatall
2012-02-01, 09:27 PM
Lorelai goes skipping merrily along with her pet foxxy at her ankles. As she is skipping however, a snake, who she did not notice, leaps out and bites her ankle. She however is unaffected by the snakes poison and chams the poor misunstood creature and gives it a bit of meat and returns to her jorney. A little ways away however she sees someone who was not so lucky. Unable to find any indication of who they may be, see pays her respects, loots him, and continues to her adorable cottage. There, she takes care of her affairs that had pulled her away in the first place and begins heading on an intercept to meet once more with the rest of the group.

XP and Loot: 400 xp
1) Shortbow, composite 75 gp [70.67%, Very Cheap Quality] : 53gp [+]
2) Blowgun 2 gp [Standard Quality] : 2gp [+]
3) Case, map or scroll 1 gp [Standard Quality] : 1gp [+]
4) Masterwork Bolts, crossbow(10) : 61gp [+]

Rhodochrosite 4gp, Malachite 2gp, Turquoise 1gp
Coins(6gp)

Beowulf DW
2012-02-01, 09:58 PM
Roderick nurses his bitten arm.

"A dire lion! Less than a day's walk from the gods damned capitol! I'm going to have a very long talk to the captain of the guard when we get back. Hectic as the political situation may be, there's no excuse for allowing a monster like that to roam the forest.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-01, 10:51 PM
Hold still for a second, Mary says as she pulls out some bandages from her pack, finally digging to where they were hidden. I'll have this fixed up in a jiffy. Heal Check: [roll0]

Knowledge Nature/Local DC 15: Not even the negligent guards could have missed a dire lion so close to the main road for long. Your inspection of its lair showed only fresh kills. It has been here for only a day or two at most. Something, or someone drove it here recently, for that you are sure.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-02, 10:57 PM
"Well, that wasn't too bad. I think I could have used a few less spells against that lion. If you'd just let me scare it away, we could have avoided all of that." Victor gives a slight sigh and goes back to his book."We should get going, before anything else sneaks up on us out here."

Beowulf DW
2012-02-02, 11:39 PM
"How exactly would you have scared that beast away, Victor?" inquires Roderick.

"You aren't exactly the most physically imposing elf I've ever seen."

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-03, 12:39 AM
"I just induced rigor mortis in a creature while it was still alive to feel it, and you question my ability to be scary? I'm slightly impressed with your nerve, Usher."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-03, 11:41 AM
Now now gentlemen, as Mary finishes tying off the bandage, Lord knows I was scared by your spell there Doctor. While it makes me feel a little better that you are at least on our side. Please tell me you have never risen a man's body in an unnatural way for your own purposes.

Dr. Victor: I would like to remind you that you are curious of his weapon.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-03, 02:05 PM
"Everything's relative, Victor. My father's story about a great lizard commanding a Griffon during the final battle of Firenze-that was scary. Rigor mortis loses some of its luster next to that."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-03, 02:21 PM
You mean a Roc, not a Griffin, Mary quickly corrects, "And lo the Roc was strewn upon the ground as it's soul left the mortal coil, arrow piercing its heart." Nod-53:54 She does a quick double tap of the symbol on her chest as she finishes.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-03, 02:34 PM
"Thank you, Mary," says Roderick as he wipes the blood off his blade. "I never studied many bestiaries or religious documents, and neither did my father. I imagine that a roc and a griffon would be the same to his eyes."

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-03, 05:25 PM
"Of course not, Sister Mary." Victor replies with a slightly offended gaze. "As I mentioned earlier, I am not that kind of necromancer, thankyouverymuch. Besides, even if I were, do you suspect the old theocracy of Sol Invictus would have allowed me to get this confoundedly old? As for you, Usher, Mary here is correct. That blasted bird such a nuisance. Would you believe an old man if he told you that thing was always drunk? The dwarf that owned it stored his beer on the beast's back, and look at me, tottering on like an old man. Anyway, Usher, I noticed during the battle you have a bit of talent with the arcane arts yourself. Would you care to let an old elf help you with your studies tonight? There are a few things I thnk I can teach a youngster like you about magic. Besides, I have some questions I think only you can answer."

Beowulf DW
2012-02-03, 06:23 PM
"I'm always prepared to receive some help with my studies, Doctor. I'm self-taught in that particular area, and as you may have noticed, my spell repertoire isn't as extensive as other magi. And of course, knowledge must be repaid with knowledge," says Rodercik, somewhat more eager than normal.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-05, 11:35 AM
Good, now we're getting along well! Mary smiles widely, Just like in my tales! Now we can go off and fight evil and save innocents and everything!

Beowulf DW
2012-02-05, 12:08 PM
Shall we continue until nightfall and pitch camp, then?

cantdrawatall
2012-02-05, 02:06 PM
Despite the irritating cheerfulness of Mary keeping you company, you all manage to not strangle her till late evening. As the sun sets, Lorelai catches up with the rest of the group, and camp is set up.

Mary sets about unfolding the tent cloth for the small tent she dug out of her heavy pack. She inserts poles and ties lines, regularly consulting the paper she had scribbled directions upon. Insert pole A into grommet B and set into... Why did I write these like this?

Everyone: I'd like to remind everyone that I want to try to run another encounter at 7 on Wednesday the 8th of Feb. Please voice any concerns or say your alright with it in the OC

Beowulf DW
2012-02-05, 04:36 PM
"Here are your cooking pot and rations back, Mary. Late me know if you'd like me carry them tomorrow."

After camp has been set, Roderick approaches Victor.

"Doctor Victor, you mentioned some questions earlier. And I'm eager to compare notes with you." Roderick is trying to appear dignified, but it's clear that he's eager to discuss arcane matters.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-05, 04:40 PM
Thank you, Roderick. Once I get this mess setup, I'll make us some supper. Mary then goes back to tying a rope to a peg.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-06, 04:30 PM
Ah, yes. Thank you for reminding me, Roderick. Here, come with me for a moment." Once the two are in a reasonably private place, with a decent light source, Victor begins to speak again. "Roderick, during our encounter with the lion, I noticed a few strange things about your fighting style. First, where did you learn to use magic, may I ask? If I am to help you learn, I must first make sure you can understand the notes I have. Ideally, I'll be able to teach you a thing or two which will come in handy. On the matter of the battle itself, a few questions were raised in my mind. The first concerns your general strategy during the scuffle, while the second, I must admit, is not magical, but still falls under the purview of my studies. Anyway," the doctor sighs. "The first thing I noticed was your choice in spells. You chose to try and dazzle the lion, at point blank range. I do not mean to insult you, but why would you choose so reckless a spell to try and cast. A dazzled creature is less accurate, but no less powerful. If I could take a look at your spellbook, perhaps I could point out a more useful spell to have cast under those circumstances. Being a mage of any kind requires being able to pick just the right spell for the job, and doing that incorrectly could potentially lead to disaster, as you saw earlier. The second question I have concerns your sword. I am aware of warrior-mages such as yourself. After all, I fought on the same field as the magus Merrick, before he became part of the Triumvirate. But that's irrelevant. My point is, I've never seen a sword like that in all my many, many years. That sword is far older than anything that new looking should have a right to be. I've been enchanting for years, and even enchanted swords aren't that new looking after 150 years. Would I be able to, under your supervision, of course, research that sword, to see what sort of strange new magics it possesses?"

cantdrawatall
2012-02-06, 05:54 PM
Roderick: Ethelred speaks to you via telepathy, I don't want to be researched. I've told you what you need to know and I'd rather the rest remain where it should be, in the past.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-06, 07:32 PM
Roderick takes a second to consider.

"As to your first question, I learned to use magic from my family's library. I am the runt of litter, Victor. Among my family, I am considered unusually small and weak. Well, we Ushers have a saying, "If you're not strong, you'd better be smart." That mostly pertains to outsmarting your opponents, but I took it a step further and made my knowledge into a weapon. I don't have formal training in the arcane arts, so I'll be the first to admit that there are gaps in my magical arsenal that a normal sword-mage would not have. Under the circumstances I should probably have cast Shield instead, but it did not occur to me at the time. For that, I stand duly chastised. Roderick pauses to bow to Victor, and to take a breath. "In the future, I shall endeavor to look before I leap. As for the sword...No, you may not research it. That would be disrespectful to Ethelred. I'd be happy to tell you what I know of, though, if you are interested?

jpj1421
2012-02-06, 10:12 PM
Knowledge Nature: [roll0]

Nymeria had been helping set up the camp quietly, while Arya prowled around the camp.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-06, 10:15 PM
Nymeria:What was the knowledge Nature check for?

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-06, 10:31 PM
"I suppose that will have to do, for now. If you're not comfortable with me poking around your possessions, that is entirely respectable. It doesn't behoove me to make enemies of people I seem to be forced into traveling with for the time being. Anyway, let us compare spellbooks. Our styles of casting, in the end, are very similar, and so I think we can be most helpful to each other.

OoC: We both use several touch spells, me through Reach Spell and you through Spellstrike, and we can trade spells nearly openly. As long as the spell exists on both our lists, we can trade. I have a few more tips on casting in general, but that will take much longer than I have to type out right now, now I'll discuss them later. Also, consider the Arcana which lets you learn wizard spells once we hit 6th, it might be useful depending on what we have.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-07, 12:32 AM
"I meant no offense, Victor. That sword has been in my family's armory since the founding of the Usher line. I hope you understand."

If the links aren't posted in the out of character thread, I can post my spell list here, if you like. If I understand the rules for magus spells correctly, I can learn any of your spells, so long as they're in the magus spell list as well. You can probably learn any spell of mine.

jpj1421
2012-02-07, 08:33 AM
Nymeria:What was the knowledge Nature check for?

It was for the February 1st one..it had been awhile but I decided to do it anyway.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-07, 11:14 AM
Nymeria:Oh alright, I forgot I had even posted that as no one had gone for it.

Mary finishes setting up her tent, or at least it is mostly set up, its a little saggy, but no matter. She picks up the Small Iron pot and draws some water from a nearby stream and places it over the small fire. Soon, the water begins to boil as she adds in dried beef and some sprigs of herbs and vegetables. The smell soon begins to waft of a stew being brewed. She hums to herself as she cooks.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-08, 10:04 PM
During the night, Nymeria looks in on Mary's tent and discovers her true form. Then they are attacked by Bandits. a short Skirmish later, 6 dead bodies, 2 run aways, and 4 prisoners. In addition they find the bandit's cache and discover they were the reason for the Dire Lion earlier.

1) Half-plate Armor 600 gp [113.17%, High Quality] : 679gp [+]
2) Shuriken (5) 1 gp [Standard Quality] : 1gp [+]
3) Backpack (empty) 2 gp [Standard Quality] : 2gp [+]
4) Lock, Simple 20 gp [110%, High Quality] : 22gp [+]
5) Mirror, small steel 10 gp [60%, Inferior Quality] : 6gp [+]
6) Sap 1 gp [Standard Quality] : 1gp [+]
7) Barrel (empty) 2 gp [Standard Quality] : 2gp [+]
8) Case, map or scroll 1 gp [Standard Quality] : 1gp [+]
9) Backpack (empty) 2 gp [Standard Quality] : 2gp [+]
10) Dagger, punching 2 gp [150%, Very Fine Quality] : 3gp [+]
11) Arcane Scroll, Haste {3rd/5th} : 375gp [+]
12) Masterwork Javelin : 301gp [+]

Red spinel 52gp, Rhodochrosite 4gp, Obsidian 10gp, Blue quartz 10gp, Turquoise 1gp, Turquoise 1gp
Coins(77gp
Treasure(1395gp)
+ Gems & Jewels(78gp)
+ Coins(77gp)
= 1550gp
450xp

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-09, 09:32 PM
"If I may have everyone's attention for a moment, please?" Victor says the next morning, looking over a small scroll of parchment. "Last night, I took inventory, and we seem to be coming into a fair bit of treasure as we travel into town, to the point where we need to devise some method of splitting up the loot. Personally, I propose an even five-way split, to be divided once we arrive in the next town, and any towns we travel to thereafter. Is this acceptable to everyone? Furthermore, I would like to make a proposal. As I've mentioned, m stock and trade is the creation of magical amulets, accouterments, and other assorted knick-knacks, and as you are all my traveling companions for the time being, I extend to you all an offer; Whenever we arrive in town, if you have any magical items you need to buy, ask me first! I can give you a quote, provided I can actually make the item, at around 55% of what the shops in town will sell it for. 45% of that cost goes into actually making the item, so I can't go any lower than that. The other 10% is a commission charge, which can also be donated to. That money goes towards buying new scrolls, which in addition to adding to the list of items I can reliably create, adds to what I can do in combat as well to help everyone else out. Mary, I believe You said something last night about a Handy Haversack? That can be easily made for, shall we say 1100 gp once we get into town?"

Beowulf DW
2012-02-10, 12:26 AM
Roderick looks up from his spellbook, A five way split sounds just fine to me. And thank you for the offer, Victor. I'll certainly keep it in mind.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-10, 08:55 AM
Oh Doctor that would be splendid, assuming of course that my share has enough for that. I've never really had to worry about money before, all of whatever I made before went to the order.

She then turns her attentions to the prisoners, smacking the side of the iron pot stew had been cooked in the night before, she calls out, UP AND ATEM! The prisoners, who were asleep up till now, would have jumped if they had not been bound together and gagged. Good Morning! Some battle last night, wasn't it? You are now our prisoners, and are going to be turned into the guard in Hooper's Ferry for the crime of Highway robbery! If you become more trouble than your worth, I'm going to let my friends do away with you as they wish. Also don't bother trying to run, Arya here is much faster than you are. I apologize, but we didn't bring enough food to feed you today as well, but Hooper's Ferry is less than a day's march and I'm sure you'll be feed in the jail cell. Does everyone understand? The prisoners all nod, Good! Lets help you all up and get underway, shall we?

jpj1421
2012-02-10, 03:19 PM
In the dark of the night, Nymeria had confided with Arya as to what she had seen in Mary's tent. For now Nymeria did not know what to do with her knowledge and didn't know the rest of the group well enough to confide in them. For now she would go about here business and keep and eye on Mary.

The next morning:
"Yes, a 5 way split will be more than acceptable."

As the prisoners are being woken up:

Nymeria leans into Arya and say:

"Alright, time to put on your angry face, for the prisoners."
This was not the first time Nymeria and Arya had human prisoners at their disposal, and so this has been plaid out many atime in the best. Arya put on a snarl and started pacing back and forth next to prisoners. Nymeria would go to the front to guide the group onward, while looking back to check on the prisoners. Her hand would never leave the hilt of her shortsword.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-10, 03:28 PM
Roderick begins putting the spoils from their battle into the chest that was found with the dire lion, getting ready to cast Floating Disk to carry the chest to transport it to Hooper's Ferry.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-10, 05:13 PM
As they begin moving, the prisoners shuffling along the dirt path, Mary tries to walk near Nymeria, Arya is such a smart wolf, how long have you two been together, if I may ask?

jpj1421
2012-02-13, 11:10 AM
Nymeria her head to look at Mary as she spoke. She wondered if there was any downside to giving that information to this...thing. After a moments thought she says:

"Arya and I have been together since she was born. About 2 years now."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-13, 02:36 PM
Nymeria's veiled answer give Mary pause for a moment. Then she says, You... don't like humans much, do you? Why is that? What did we do you you? The last question doesn't insinuate that humans are innocent of accusation, but is instead genuine in asking what had been done.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-13, 04:08 PM
"It probably has something to do with the theology that ruled these parts for the better part of half a century." Victor says tritely, Quoth fidgeting anxiously on his shoulder. "After all, the halfling peoples were largely marginalized, even after the Day of No Sun."

I'm going to make a Knowledge (History) check to see what happened to the Dwarves since the fall. After all, the fourth member of the Triumvirate was a dwarf who abandoned the cause halfway through the battle.

[roll0]

cantdrawatall
2012-02-13, 06:17 PM
Dr. Victor:Dwarves? They are a bunch of rotten cowards they are. Only one decided to help when the whole world was in danger, and he ditched as soon as the trouble started. (LOL nat 1)

Beowulf DW
2012-02-13, 06:35 PM
Half a century? We really need to establish a timeline here guys.

jpj1421
2012-02-14, 03:08 PM
Nymeria lifts her eyebrow at Mary's response, before nodding at Victor's response.

"For as long as I can remember humans have been hounding my people. At best they were trying to forcibly convert us to their region, so we too can kneel to their God. At worst, they were trying to anhilate or enslave. In between were opportunists looking to profit. Our traditions require us to be constantly on the move, but we were encouraged to do so as no location was safe for us for that long. So no, I don't like humans very much. "

Beowulf DW
2012-02-14, 03:26 PM
Roderick focuses on the disk and the loot floating before him, trying to avoid looking at Nymeria.

Knowing my family's history, we may have been involved in campaigns against the halflings.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-14, 03:35 PM
Well, I for one am sorry for what we have done to you. While I'm not sure what we have done in this past age will ever be able to be forgiven, that doesn't mean I won't do everything in my power to help you. Her words carry a strange weight, one you are utterly unfamiliar with. It's... strangely comforting, even if you don't believe a word she says.

If you'll excuse me, I mean to give a stern lecture on the meaning of redemption to our new traveling companions. She pulls out her ever present holy book, and proceeds to start to lecture to the bound and gagged prisoners shuffling along beside you all. Good Sirs! I am Mary of the Order of the Rising Sun, and as we shall be traveling for many hours yet, I thought I would take this opportunity to talk to you all about a topic you'll be very familiar with once you are given over to the guard in Hooper's Ferry, rehabilitation.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-14, 03:52 PM
Roderick suppresses a moan and silently begins praying for a moment.

Merrikari, I've never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. But please let your old friend know that one of his clerics is now perpetrating the most vile of tortures upon our captives, and on me.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-14, 04:12 PM
Mental note: Victor thinks to himself as he looks back at Mary's rambling. Pick up a scroll of Silence once we reach Hooper's Ferry. Until then, may the great goddess of knowledge protect me...

cantdrawatall
2012-02-15, 11:13 AM
Mary's preaching continues to rattle on, despite whatever silent prayers you make to your respective gods. And so you continue at a steady pace through the woods and as twilight begins to envelope you all, you know Hooper's Ferry is soon to approach.

Everyone:Here comes another encounter, I was expecting more dialogue in the travels, but that seems to have petered out. I hope its not too soon, but I hope we can do this encounter tonight, Wednesday the 15th of February at 8 pm.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-16, 09:41 AM
Arriving in Hooper's Ferry, you find the hamlet being destroyed in a mysterious fog by a dragon. Battle ensues and it is discovered it is slowly turning into a litch of sorts due to a shard of a powerful artifact. After Chopping off the limb of the dragon, peace was obtained.

And so we return to the game shortly after the dragon has flown off into the night.

Mary stands by the severed limb of the dragon, holy symbol out and keeping any random villager away from the disgusting shard. If you listen, you can hear her pray.

DC 20 Perception: Mckain, I see now why you sent us, over another. Another would have done their best the vanquish the dragon outright, slay an innocent for the act of this abomination. Give us the strength oh lord to protect others from its harm, and shield it from those that would use it. Amen.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-16, 03:34 PM
Once accommodations for the night have been settled, Victor sets himself in his room, getting to work on the upgrades being made for Roderick. After a while, however, the chest seems to call to him, and he sets aside his work for research. "There. Not too difficult an upgrade. NOw to see if I can get more information on this shard..."

A few careful applications of Mage Hand later, the shard sits on a small table at the inn, and Victor sets to examining it. After a few moments, however, Victor sits up and calls over to the room Roderick is staying in.

"Roderick, would I be able to bother you for a few moments to watch the chest with the shard in it? I just realized something that, while not directly useful in discovering its properties, will help keep the shard from falling into the wrong hands. I'll be back in just a moment."

Closing the chest and leaving it with his capable companion, Dr. Victor heads back out into town in search of a merchant selling scrolls, aiming to pick up a scroll of Arcane Lock. Once his errand is done, Victor sets down once again to examine the shard.

So yeah. I figure locking the chest with magic would be a good idea. So, I'm going to see if I can buy a scroll of Arcane Lock (2nd level abjuration) as well as a Superior (or whatever the best lock I can get is) lock to cast it on. This totals out to about 300 gp. Afterwards, if I can get a roll on figuring out more about the shard, that'd be great.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-16, 05:38 PM
Roderick agrees to watch the shard for Victor. While the good doctor is out and about, Roderick again consults with Ethelred.

"I didn't think things would be quite so complicated. Destroying a dracolich, or saving a dragon from becoming one is comparatively straightforward, but now...You've never discussed your past with me, Ethelred, beyond telling me how Great-Grandfather found you, and I've respected your wishes. But there can be little question that this shard is made from the same material as you. So I'm forced to ask...What this thing did to that dragon...Could you do that to me?"

Ethelred has ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) soooo...I make a knowledge check...WITH MY SWORD!

[roll0]

cantdrawatall
2012-02-16, 06:12 PM
Nonsense Boy! You're more than enough of a caster to have felt that aura pulsing off this thing. Even if our physical constructs are of the same substance, our arcane matrices are entirely different. That's like saying you and that dragon are one and the same so soon you'll be shooting acid breath, simply for you are both made of flesh. I have not told you of my past for a reason, and I must ask you to trust me that you'll prefer not knowing it. Now, we are friends and comrades, I let you know of myself for I felt potential in you boy, more than any of your bloodline for a hundred years. My past matters not in that. With you, I again know honor in battle.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-16, 07:50 PM
"Hmm...An excellent point, my friend. I'm humbled by your confidence in me, and I hope that I may continue to bring honor to you," says Roderick, bowing slightly to the sword that has been both mentor and companion to him.

"Tomorrow, we'll need to discuss our next course of action. There are no truly safe places for something like this, but I'd imagine that Mother Catherine will want to keep this sealed away."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-16, 08:16 PM
Indeed, I'm not expert when it comes to matters of faith, but if anyone would know what to do with it, it'd be her.

Suddenly, there is a cry upstairs, one of a young girl, one that sounds awfully familiar.

Speak of the demon! Seems somethings up with the cleric!

jpj1421
2012-02-17, 08:19 AM
Nymeria and Arya were in the main room of the inn, both feeling uncomfortable. Sleeping indoors would be odd experience. And so Nymeria was drinking ale and giving nasty looks to people who were disaproving of the wolf's presence. She was also contemplating a confrontation with Mary before the night was out. Hearing the cry, Nymeria and Arya leaped to action and began running towards the noise.

Perception:[roll0]

Beowulf DW
2012-02-17, 09:54 AM
Roderick starts toward the door, then remembers the black metal on the table. Thinking quickly, he empties his bag of holding, places the bag at the edge of the table, then uses a sheathed Ethelred to nudge the shard into the bag. Roderick then ties the bag to his belt once more.

With the shard thus secured, Roderick runs toward the young cleric.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-17, 11:13 AM
Nymeria is first to reach Mary's room, by virtue of being closer and not having to stash artifacts of power.

The door easily opens, Mary having not locked it. The girl is sitting up in the bed in the small room, her crimson hair flailing wildly as if by a gale, yet the air is still. She opens her eyes and stares at you, but they are glowing pure white light in the darkened room. As she speaks, it is with the voice of a man, loud and powerful.

A dire game in the castle of black. Men march to battle. The beast sits behind a puppet of greed, upon a throne of ivory bones. Fuel added to embers that can not be dowsed. Pelorian steel on both sides. Trust your senses, fear not. Good hearts beat true.

With that she suddenly collapses back down onto the bed, seemingly fast asleep.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-17, 04:46 PM
"Well I'm not getting any sleep, tonight," says Roderick over at Nymeria's shoulder.

"Now I see why she keeps that hat on. Her hair's an absolute mess."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-17, 06:24 PM
Roderick:Make a perception check, DC 25 considering the mad events: Mary has a row of small sharp red horns emerging from her forehead. Knowledge Arcana/Planes/Religion DC 20:She is not human, Mary is a Teifling!

Beowulf DW
2012-02-17, 06:32 PM

Beowulf DW
2012-02-17, 06:40 PM
"Should we wake her up, Nymeria? Do you think she's all right? I forfeit my fee if she's hurt."

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-18, 05:48 PM
Victor hums to himself as he casually walks back into the inn after picking up his shopping. Setting the lock down on the table, he turns around to find Roderick missing from the room. "Now where'd that boy run off to?" Victor says, scanning the room before noticing the other minor difference to the room. "Wait a minute...Where's that blasted shard?! Don't tell that boy's done something idiotic with it! WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS HAPPENED HERE?! I SWEAR THAT BOY'S GOING TO GET THE MAGICAL ASS-CHEWING OF HIS SHORT, FEEBLE LIFE WHEN HE GETS BACK HERE!

cantdrawatall
2012-02-18, 05:52 PM
A certain old elf's shout from downstairs wake Mary as she tosses a bit and opens her eyes to see Roderick and Nymeria silhouetted in the doorway. Oh... hello? Whats wrong?

Beowulf DW
2012-02-18, 07:07 PM
"Well, little lady, if I had to guess, I'd say that you have received a prophecy from McKain. That's what drew Nymeria and I to your room. And that shouting is undoubtedly Victor, probably assuming that I've done something with the shard," says Roderick, holding up the Bag of Holding.

With that, the young magus walks out of the room, drawing Ethelred in the hope that the sight of a scimitar in such close quarters will go some way to deterring any "magical ass-chewing."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-18, 09:52 PM
Oh... Well write it down, and tell me about it in the morning. She then yawned loudly, it had been a long day for her after all.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-19, 03:26 PM
Well this seems like a good point to hand out chapter experience:

Dr. Victor:Roleplay 100xp
Discovered plots 200xp
Peaceful Solution to dragon 50xp
Total: 350xp

Roderick:Roleplay 100xp
Discovered plots 100xp
Total: 250xp

Nymeria:Roleplay 100xp
Discovered plots 200xp
Total: 350xp

Lorelai:Roleplay 100xp
Total: 150xp

And so ends the Fog and the Ferry, tune in for the continuing adventures in The Traitor of Blackwall... Right now!

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-20, 02:09 AM
"There you are!" Victor says to Rodrick as he steps back in the room. "Where did you run off to? Is the shard safe? We can't just go galavanting around town with an unholy relic capable of spontaneously creating Dracoliches! Now where were you?"

jpj1421
2012-02-20, 09:38 AM
OOC: Sorry, sorry, I should have posted something when I saw the prophecy.

Nymeria upon hearing the prophecy immediately grabs a seat, reaches into her bag and pulls out her map making implements. She begins furiously writing down everything she can remember being said. OOC: Whatever check you think I should make Greg.

Nymeria then had a thought.

"Perhaps I should keep watch over little Mary here, in case any prophecies happen again between now and morning. Arya and I can stay here the night."

Perhaps it would be a good time for a confrontation.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-20, 10:23 AM
Roderick looks Victor in the eye, feeling somewhat insulted.

"I didn't go 'galavanting' (sarcastic air quotes) anywhere, Victor. I heard Mary cry out, so I emptied my bag of holding, put the shard in there, and took it with me so that I would be able to keep an eye on it."

At this, Roderick upends the bag over the table the shard was resting on, and begins gathering up his possessions.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-20, 08:58 PM
Welp, Thank you for offering to watch over me tonight, Nymeria can see her bury her head in the covers, But I'm almost certain that there won't be any more prophesies tonight, soooooooo...

jpj1421
2012-02-20, 09:36 PM
"Oh I see, that's understandable it must be very tiring channeling the word of the Gods. "

Nymeria puts her implements back in her bag, and stands up. She flashes a hand signal at Arya, who grows tense and wary.

"And besides, I imagine you wouldn't want me sticking around and seeing your true form. You wouldn't want anyone to know you're not human."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-20, 09:52 PM
There is a long moment of silence. Mary sits up and adjusts the lantern so there is more light. For the first time you can see her clearly in the light of the lantern. How long have you known? Her voice seems fearful, her eyes wide and looking straight at you.

jpj1421
2012-02-20, 09:55 PM
Nymeria makes sure the door is secured shut, before answering.

"I've suspected since the moment I laid my eyes on you. I've watched humans, I've studied human, I've fought humans and I've killed humans. You didn't...look right. I confirmed it last night when I looked in your tent last night before the attack. Before you ask, I've not told the others...yet. What are you and why are you hiding yourself?"

cantdrawatall
2012-02-20, 10:20 PM
She looks visibly relieved when you say you haven't told the others.Mother Catherine never told me, but I always knew I was something shameful. She looks away from you, I am a teifling. The unnatural pairing of a demon and a human. Mother Catherine found me in the gutter when she was invading Firenze on the Day of Darkness. I was in the arms of a dead woman, presumably my real mother, struck dead by an errant arrow. She speaks almost clinically, as if this is a dead fact. But I am not like what the texts say! I try to be good! I don't want to be bad. Please don't tell the others, I don't want them to think badly of me. You lot are my friends. She gives you a face filled with worry, which is unintentionally cute.

jpj1421
2012-02-20, 10:30 PM
Nymeria takes this all in, and thinks about the implications. She gives Arya the stand down signal.

"Let me see your true form, I only got a glimpse beforehand."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-20, 10:49 PM
Mary nods, and stands up. She carefully hoists up her nightgown to reveal a thick scaled tail. It's base begins just below the small of her back. It is as thick as her thigh, and quickly tapers off at mid calf. It is covered in shiny red scales, much like a snake and of the same hue of her horns. It twitches gently as she moves, she clearly is unused to people seeing her undressed. Her horns, which you can see rim her whole head are largest at her forehead, and range between an inch and half an inch in length. The smaller horns are easily hidden in her bright red, shoulder length hair. The rest of her is exactly as a human child would be for her age, the beginnings of womanhood and just barely leaving childhood, save for just how pale she is. You are unsure if this is due to her sheltered life or a symptom of her race.

jpj1421
2012-02-20, 10:58 PM
Nymeria gives one quick look and nods. Another being that would be hated by the humans, for being what? Different from what themselves. She gestures for Mary to lower the nightgown. She steps forward and tossles the girl's hair.

"Never ever be ashamed of who you are. And never listen to what humans...or others have to say. They're prone to crying out because of their own hatreds, and nothing to do with yourself. I should know."

Nymeria looks down at that, before coming back up to look Mary in the eyes.

"I won't tell the others, that's up to you. But no more secrets from me, alright? "

She gives Mary a quick hug, before heading out of the room, with Arya at her heels.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-21, 02:14 PM
"Well, sorry if I offended you, but that thing you're carrying is serious business!" Victor says, looking over to Roderick. "We can't be too careful when dealing with it. Now then, what is wrong with Mary, may I ask, that she needed help? Is everything OK? After that, care to help me try and crack this thing's secrets?"

Beowulf DW
2012-02-21, 03:25 PM
"Mary had some kind of prophecy. McKain spoke through her, I think. She couldn't remember a thing herself, so I wrote it down for her."

Roderick hands over a small slip of paper with the prophecy hastily written down.

"Mary's fine now, if a little tired. Not many girls that age face down dragons, after all," says Roderick as he pulls up a seat.

"Victor, I don't think that we can learn any more about this shard just by examining it, and the longer we keep it with us, the more danger we'll be in. We need to take it back to the temple. Mary will be safe, the shard will be secure, and we'll be able to research this matter more thoroughly. How about we just call it a night, and set out tomorrow morning?"

cantdrawatall
2012-02-21, 05:40 PM
Mary, quite frankly, was shocked. Nymeria, the one who she had felt warmed up the least to her, had found out her greatest secret, and accepted her fully for it. Even a few moments after Nymeria left the room, Mary stayed standing there. For once in her life, or at least since she had discovered what she truly was, Mary felt okay with who she was. Its was good, strange, but good.

Thank you McKain... you have always looked out for me. With that whispered prayer, she got back into the bed and was soon asleep.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-22, 08:25 PM
It is at Breakfast the next morning when Mary finally takes a look at her own prediction. Men march to battle? And this talk of a beast, what... or who do you suppose that is?

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-22, 11:23 PM
"I do not know..." Victor says as he eats. "In any case, the Shard has been locked securely away, for now. I doubt anyone will be able to access it without our permission, given how heavily it's now warded. Now, may I see that prophecy again?"

Black Castle...Throne of Bones... What could these mean, I wonder... Victor sits in thought for several moments, trying to recall what these places could be.

I'm going to attempt Knowledge (History) on both the Castle of black and the Throne of Bones, seeing if I can get any info on what places in Mausarus would be called those.

Castle of Black: [roll0]
Throne of Bones: [roll1]

cantdrawatall
2012-02-23, 08:23 AM
There have been many metaphorical thrones of bone even in your lifetime, but no Historical accounts of literal ones spring to mind.

The Castle of black however reminds you of tales of a walled city which saw many a bloody battle during the taking of the Noon by the Dawn. The local rock is a dark, almost Obsidian granite, and this tough stone was used to construct walls and a twin towered keep. The city's name is that of Blackwall, aptly titled you surmise. It has however ceased to be a armed fort since the joining of the two provinces of Noon and Dawn, and even with their current separation, the peace between them is such that it is only manned as much as any town is. Hardly a Throne of Bones there. It will take a Knowledge Geography to determine its location, DC 15.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-23, 11:44 AM
Roderick looks up from his breakfast, his mouth still partially full as he says,
"A throne made of bones sounds rather ominous. I still think that we should return to the capital to deliver the shard and do some research. I don't want to march right into a situation without at least some idea of what to expect."

Beowulf DW
2012-02-23, 11:47 AM
Also, Knowledge rolls to see if Roderick knows anything about the Throne of Bones. Just taking a shot in the dark, here. An extra skill check never hurt anyone, right?

Knowledge Dungeoneering: [roll0]
Knowledge Planes: [roll1]

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-23, 05:22 PM
"I agree with your idea to return Firenze, Roderick, but not your idea to leave the Shard there. We don't know who this "beast" is, or his "puppet of greed." Excepting us, of course, given that McKain probably wouldn't have given us the prophecy if we were the ones plotting against him. Anyway, I don't think it wise to leave the artifact of doom just lying around with strangers.

That said, going to Firenze does seem to be a good start. I have no idea what "the throne of ivory bones" means, as there's certainly no literal thrones of bones at least in recent memory. As for the castle of black, however, there is the town of Blackwall. I'll need to do a bit of research back in a larger city if we're going to get there, however, unless one of you already knows the way.

Lastly, I think it prudent for us to perhaps buy a wagon and mule before we depart, or at the very least, as soon as we can procure one. If we're going to be traveling, we may as well do it in relative comfort and speed. If we each pitch in 12 gold pieces, we can get the basic wagon and amenities."

Beowulf DW
2012-02-23, 05:46 PM
"We wouldn't be leaving the shard with strangers, Victor. We'd be leaving the shard in the protection of the Paladin Order. My older brother, Cain, is a paladin. If we explain the situation to him, I'm sure he'll see to it that the proper precautions are taken."

Roderick finishes his breakfast and wipes his mouth.

"As for the wagon, I'll happily pitch in 12 gold if it means giving Mary a break. I worry about the effect that such exhaustion may have on a girl her age...Her health is a part of her safety, after all, and I don't get paid if she's not safe, you know..."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-23, 06:43 PM
I don't really need to ride, I can walk. ... But it would be nice to be able to get around easier. I'll add to the wagon fund. I think we should give the shard to Mother Catherine. She'd know what to do with it, maybe even be able to tell us a way to destroy it? She is the head of our order after all.

jpj1421
2012-02-23, 07:18 PM
Nymeria and Arya come downstairs late and a little crankily, not being used to being indoors for sleeping. Nymeria orders a breakfast for herself and Arya, and sits down at the table with the others.

cantdrawatall
2012-02-23, 07:43 PM
Mary smiles when she sees the small woman come over. Nymeria, do you know of a city called Blackwall? (DC 15 Knowledge Geography) We think that is the place the prophesy was talking about.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-26, 09:46 AM
"We're also doing a little collection for a wagon and a mule, Nymeria. Should make it easier for us to get around, though I'd understand if you don't want to donate. You ride Aria most of the time, after all."

jpj1421
2012-02-27, 07:49 PM
Nymeria smiles at Mary.

"Hmm, let me think about that a moment. "

Knowledge Geography [roll0]

She turns to Roderick first.

"That sounds fair, it's for the good of the group. Whatever's necessary. "

cantdrawatall
2012-02-27, 08:05 PM
Nymeria: Blackwall is more of a castle than a fort, you people have been near it a few times in their travels and once or twice did raids on the outlying towns in the old days. It is Black as its name indicates and is built on a rocky hill in a wide valley at a bend in the Ueb River. It has a low wall surrounding the city proper with a Keep at the top of the hill. The river borders it on the north side and once it acted to keep people from crossing the river at a large bridge in the town. The fort was built originally as a defensive point against what would become the Noon Province and then as a staging point for the invasion. Ever since then it has been peaceful and only kept with a skeleton guard.

jpj1421
2012-02-27, 08:07 PM
Nymeria repeats what she knows.

"So, do we think this is the Black Castle from the prophecy we heard?"

Nymeria asks as she quickly eats her food.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-28, 09:44 PM
"As far as I know, it's the only "castle of black" of note on the continent. I could be wrong, but I have no reason other than standard degree of error to think that."

Beowulf DW
2012-02-29, 11:49 AM
"We still don't have exact details, though. We were thinking of going back to Firenze to find for information. I like to at least have a description, or maybe a layout of the fort and its environs."

cantdrawatall
2012-02-29, 08:56 PM
Roderick: Nymeria can draw a map of the town that seems very accurate thanks to the Nat 20.

I'm for heading back to Firenze, I would like to consult Mother Catherine both on the shard and the new prophesy.

Beowulf DW
2012-02-29, 10:46 PM
"Well, let's see if we can get that mule and cart, and we'll head back in style," Roderick gets up and starts heading for the door.

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-01, 02:01 AM
"Indeed. I'll go wake up that lazy witch of ours. Here's my share of the money, so we can buy that cart, and her's as well. I'll get the money from Lorelei once I wake her."

Cognoscan
2012-03-01, 02:11 AM
When Victor comes into wake up Lorelai, she lazily wakes up and stretches, before seeing how high the sun is already in the sky. Startled, she jumps from bed. "Oh dear, I seem to have horribly overslept. I didn't miss anything, did I? I'll start packing right away!"

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-01, 09:45 PM
Nothing of terrible importance, Lorelei. We're going to be leaving this town in an hour or so, once Roderick procures transport for us. If you'd like to chip in, you can pay him or me 12 gold pieces. Short version of what is going on; We received another prophecy, so we are returning to Firenze to drop off Mary and the shard, and doing some research.

cantdrawatall
2012-03-02, 09:30 AM
You all leave Hooper's Ferry soon after Lorelei eats. Roderick, with the collected gold, is easily able to locate a Light Wagon and horse. It isn't the prettiest wagon, with faded and peeling green paint, but it is sturdy and looks more than capable for your purposes. The horse, which goes by the monicker Buttercup, is a mottled grey mare and seems to be very tame. While buttercup doesn't seem to like Arya at first, causing Arya to have to ride downwind of the mare in the beginning, between Nymeria and Lorelei, Buttercup becomes accustomed to the wolf soon enough.

On your way out, you lead some guards back to the prisoners who are still tied to the same tree you had left them at the night previous, luckily the night wasn't a particularly cold one, though they are more than a little bitter about being left behind. (Now with the loose ends tied up, we can get back to the story, unless anyone objects)

The ride back is uneventful as the primary bandit group of these woods were either captured, killed, or ran off no more than a night ago. As you start to approach the city proper once more you see something quite uncommon in these past eight years, men doing drills in the fields surrounding the gate. Some in uniform and proper armor are leading what looks to be a ragtag militia in pike drills, while Archers perform target practice off to the side. It looks like Firenze is raising an army.

Beowulf DW
2012-03-02, 03:24 PM
Roderick views the drilling formations with some apprehension.
"You don't form commoners into militias without good reason. This does not bode well."

cantdrawatall
2012-03-02, 03:34 PM
Mary seems flabbergasted, We were gone for four days! How can we be going to war in less then four days!

Beowulf DW
2012-03-02, 07:27 PM
"Well, with the advances that so many clerics and other spell casters made during the war, I'd imagine that magical means of communication have become a bit more prevalent. For all we know, one could start a war in a day. What a modern and ever-changing world we live in."

Roderick suddenly realizes that he's been thinking aloud, and tries to reassure Mary.

"This is all probably just a show of force. There are probably several dignitaries on the ramparts watching the proceedings. I'm certain there won't be a war."

Roderick tries to sound confident, but he can't help but recall the prophecy about men marching to battle.

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-03, 12:21 AM
"Well," Victor says, observing the men as they prepare for combat. "At least there's one good thing to come of this. Business will be booming."

jpj1421
2012-03-04, 01:34 PM
Nymeria pulls Arya to a stop and looks at the marching men with a look on her face as though she had bitten into a sour apple.

"Perhaps one of you humans should as the commanding officer what's happened since we've been gone. Depending on who Firenze is at war with, I am hesitant to march back into the capital."

Beowulf DW
2012-03-04, 03:32 PM
"You are concerned that Firenze has gone to war with your people, Nymeria? If that was true, they would be training light cavalry, not foot soldiers. Nomadic tribes are too mobile to combat any other way. Besides, if that was the case, the Temple and the Paladins would surely put a stop to it."

cantdrawatall
2012-03-04, 03:56 PM
Perception Check DC 18 Down on the plain, you spot a familiar Nun training a group of Archers. You see Catherine demonstrating the stance and firing an arrow, finding dead center of the straw stuffed bulls-eye.

Beowulf DW
2012-03-04, 06:01 PM
Perception (sooo putting some points into this next chance I get) [roll0]

In case you're wondering, the +2 is coming from having a Black Blade on my person.

jpj1421
2012-03-04, 06:31 PM

"Not my people specifically, but in times of war those that fall in the "Other" category are prone to being on the receiving end of violence. People aren't always so discerning when they're angry or scared."

Beowulf DW
2012-03-04, 10:23 PM
"An excellent point. All too often those who suffer the most are the ones caught in the middle of conflicts-the outcasts. Half-orcs, half-elves and such. Those are the ones we need to protect the most, I suppose."

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-05, 07:46 AM
Perception Check: [roll0]

jpj1421
2012-03-05, 01:13 PM
I do see Ms. Catherine over there training Archers, she should be able to vouch for us.

Nymeria points in the direction of the training Archers.

Beowulf DW
2012-03-05, 01:26 PM
Roderick starts slightly at the mention of a cleric training an army. "What?! Where? Oh. What's she doing with a bow?" Roderick looks to Mary for an answer to his last question.

cantdrawatall
2012-03-05, 02:13 PM
Mother Catherine wasn't always a cleric. says Mary as she too sees Catherine down on the field. She was a lieutenant in McKain's personal troops during the siege, and personally lead a battalion of archers. She hasn't fired an arrow in anger since the war, but I know she does train some of the other clerics from time to time. Perhaps she offered her training for these men. Mary begins to go towards her foster mother, taking care not to get in the path of any drilling militia.

Beowulf DW
2012-03-05, 02:18 PM
Roderick hops off the wagon and follows Mary. Looking back at Victor, he says, "Should we bring the shard, or save that conversation for later?"

jpj1421
2012-03-05, 02:54 PM
Nymeria directs Arya to follow Mary.

cantdrawatall
2012-03-07, 10:17 AM
Catherine draws back another arrow. She sights down the shaft, takes a slow breath, then releases it. The arrow streaks across the range and impales itself deep in the straw, coming to rest half an inch from her first arrow. Remember, she says to the assembled soldiers, You have to aim higher than your intended target as well as ahead of their movements. In battle, your targets won't be sitting still.

Mother Catherine! Mary calls as she approaches. Catherine turns to the young girl and holds her in a loving embrace.

Men, take some time and practice your shots, I'll be back soon to check on your progress. Catherine takes the bow and tucks it over her shoulder, a move that seems fluid and practiced. Was your adventure a success?

Beowulf DW
2012-03-07, 05:29 PM
Keeping a slight distance from such a tender moment, Roderick calls out, "That depends on how you define success, Mother Catherine. We're alive and safe, but it seems that our adventure is not yet over."

Roderick puts a finger to his lips and motions for Mother Catherine to approach the wagon with him.

"Mary helped us face a dragon. She was very brave."

cantdrawatall
2012-03-07, 06:39 PM
Catherine moves up to the wagon with the others. A Dragon! she looks about and tries to quiet herself, You faced a dragon?

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-08, 01:17 PM
"A burgeoning Dracolich, to be precise." Victor says as he joins the group talking. "But all the same, she was quite helpful. Saved this old man's life, for one. Anyway, we're here on delicate business, would we speak for a moment?"

cantdrawatall
2012-03-08, 01:37 PM
Brother Maynard! Catherine called to a nearby man dressed in the Order's attire, Take over this group of archers for me. I have urgent matters to attend to. Turning back to you, We can talk in the temple. It'll be a private a place as can be at the moment.

Mother, Mary asked as you all begin to enter the city, Why are these men training?

Beowulf DW
2012-03-08, 05:09 PM
"I think that's something we're all worried about, really."

cantdrawatall
2012-03-08, 08:31 PM
Word came two days ago of a walled city to the north on the border of Noon. They have united under their former Mayor and declared themselves their own kingdom, separate from the Dawn. Chancellor Cooper has declared this an act of aggression and the Order has been swamped assisting the militia. They plan to march tomorrow. I had wanted to send an envoy there to sort out this insanity before it got to bloodshed.

Why didn't you ask some adventurers, or the Paladins to go?

The adventurers have been lured by the promise of plunder, and much of the Paladins have been roped into this too. They consider it an affront to the faith. You see, the man they follow goes by Maccabee McKain, and he claims to be Willem McKains heir.

Dun Dun DUN!

jpj1421
2012-03-09, 01:58 PM
"A man claiming to be the heir to the last God King? There will be many who want to follow this man...I can see why the Chancellor is in a rush to put an end to it. "

cantdrawatall
2012-03-09, 02:27 PM
McKain had no son, and even if he did, he had no kingdom to inherit. He gave this country over to the people, for them to rule as we saw fit. No one man rules Dawn now, not even the chancellor has supreme power.

jpj1421
2012-03-09, 03:32 PM
Nymeria thinks about that for a moment.

"I have a feeling that some that are dissafected will find that irrelevant. People believe what they believe, especially if they find that belief comforting. If there's enough suffering and enough fondness for McKain, that can be very powerful. Belief does that. "

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-09, 04:47 PM
"This is a delicate situation, Mother Catherine. I'm not entirely convinced that war and subjugation is the right way to go about this. Now, don't get me wrong, should it come to war, my business will be booming, and we can speak of perhaps equipping some of the troops with protective amulets, but that is neither here nor there. What young Nymeria here says is true. There is quite some fondness for McKain. Anyone who claims to be his scion would be making a bold claim indeed. he has convinced people that he is worthy of being followed, and a government who stamps down this insurrection immediately, no matter how absurd his logic, will likely be seen as oppressive by the general populous. There is something this man has which he is using to convince people that he is truly McKain's heir, and I have a sinking suspicion I might know what it is. Once we are safe behind closed doors, I feel I can show you. myself."

Beowulf DW
2012-03-09, 05:18 PM
"McKain's heir...Well, that is rather troublesome. While Willem McKain had no children or siblings that I know of, he certainly had cousins. My family is related to the McKains, albeit a very distant relation."

Roderick casts a long look towards the field, and begins to mumble a bit, "Considering who...he'd certainly want to...Mother Catherine, where are the Paladins massing? There's someone I need to speak to."

cantdrawatall
2012-03-09, 05:21 PM
I feel Chancellor Cooper has acted rashly by so quickly bringing up arms. I'm not sure the Chancellor really knows what is going on up in Blackwall, and intends to be in a possession of power when he reach es the city. I don't agree, I feel that this could be better settled before we bring down the hammer, so to speak. I have, however, no power to oppose him. The church has a duty to help these men when they march to war, regardless of the reason for it.

To Roderick's inquiry, I believe the Paladins are drilling to the north side, over there, she pointed, near the yellow tent. While some of the more experienced paladins have dispersed to train the regulars, those there should be able to direct you further.

Roderick, I assume you'll want to find your cousin, so time to split the party. Mary is going with Catherine.
The streets of Firenze seem emptier than usual, and you are able to quickly get to the temple. You enter Catherine's office and she latches the door. Now what is it that was needed to be discussed behind closed doors?

Beowulf DW
2012-03-09, 05:45 PM
His brother, actually, Cain Usher. I'll let you know how I planned his character in a PM.

"Thank you, Mother Catherine. Victor, if you need me, send Quoth to fetch me. I'll either be with the paladins, or on my way to the temple."

Roderick talks and moves with a nervous energy he hasn't shown before, as though a maelstrom of dread and eagerness were now on the loose within the young human.

Roderick makes his way to the tent.

Kira_the_5th
2012-03-10, 08:58 AM
"Of course, young Roderick. Now then, Sister Catherine, if we may take our leave into more private chambers. There are delicate matters to discuss, ones which may greatly influence the issues of this little war." Victor follows the priestesses onward. "As for you, Nymeria, Lorelei, what are your plans while we're here?"

jpj1421
2012-03-12, 07:58 AM
"I don't know, I suppose I was just going to explore the city a bit, but if we're going to talk about the war, I'll...wait....Lady Catherine, did you say Blackwall? The rebellion is in Blackwall?"
Nymeria's brows furrow as she thinks of the implications. Maybe something quite worse than originally thought was going on.