PDA

View Full Version : What would the FR gods do

Akisa
2011-12-26, 10:16 PM
So I was thinking of starting a campaign based on the world where my last D&D game took place (homebrew). It had it's own gods, but we ended up plane hopping and eventually we set up a permanent gate between Neverwinter in FR and a Metropolis in the homebrew world. I don't much about FR gods but which one would attempt to spread its influence into the new world in the most aggressive manner?

oblivion6
2011-12-26, 11:01 PM
hmm. i think i would go with bane or grumsh.

Morithias
2011-12-26, 11:34 PM
All of them. From what I've gathered over my years of studying Faerun Lore is that the gods of the forgotten realms are parasites claiming to be gods who half the time won't get off their own ass and do their job (That god in NWN2 who wouldn't do his own job cause apparently it was the job of the god THAT HE BLOODY REPLACED anyone?). They would invade attempt to slaughter your homebrew gods and go "Everyone hiel us or else you get sent to eternal torture in the concentrati- I mean wall of the faithless".

Yanagi
2011-12-26, 11:50 PM
Aggressive meaning "vigorously," "enthusiastically," or "violently"?

Vigorously, as in, pushing to acquire new followers very quickly:
Cyric
Shar
Lathander
Kossuth
Bane
Helm

Enthusiastically, as in, devoting resources to mission work and other ways of communicating the faith:
Ilmater
Helm
Lathander
Tyr
Bane
Torm

Violently, as in, willling to do anything to coerce worship:
Bane
Cyric

The first group are the gods that, by their descriptions, have the most enthusiasm for expanding their congregation, and have followers that actively proselytize. The second group are the ones that have the resources and the network to set up the institutions of a faith in a new region: that is, their churches have money, men, and labor to devote to established the faith someplace new (in the case of the good gods, by outreach programs and charity; for the evil ones, by throwing their weight around and compelling awe). The third set have no problem dragooning people into worship, which gives them an advantage in terms of speed of setting up shop.

Who'd get there first is a bit variable on how you view "The Rules" on gods moving about: do they have power in the new realm prior to having an established base of devotees, or can they cross over themselves and start tossing about miracles to catch people's attention? Can they send their outsider servitors (devas, extraplanar critters) through this portal?

My personal guess is that the fastest adapters would be Cyric and Lathander: the former being that perfect mix of crazy and grasping, the latter having that blend of altruism and optimism that permits spontaneity. The guys who would develop the most thorough campaigns of recruitment would be the more calculating deities, Bane, Kossuth, Helm.

Addendum: if expansion into the new realm requires priests/clerics to go forth and bring the word, then geography would be a bigger determining factor than attitude.

oblivion6
2011-12-26, 11:59 PM
i would of suggested cyric but i was under the impression that he worked in more subtle ways