PDA

View Full Version : Thought Excersize

Keegan__D
2011-12-27, 12:33 AM
You get 20 units of ECL 1 of any combination of races, no classes (use RHD standard for race), and you have 1,000gp to spend. 3.5, any source except savage species.
10ft high by 5ft wide walls cost 50gp.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0
Races available
The terrain is fields of grass, no trees or cover.

The goal is to defeat two other factions with the same rules. Don't worry about flavor.

sonofzeal
2011-12-27, 12:54 AM
11 Adamantine Body Warforged armed with Glaives.

4 Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds with Draconic Rite of Passage to gain Sleep 1/day.

5 Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds with Draconic Rite of Passage to gain Color Spray 1/day.

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-12-27, 01:22 AM
20 warforged with the run feat. Run away from the fight. Wait one thousand years. Return to finish off any survivors.

Alleran
2011-12-27, 01:45 AM
Pazuzu-Pazuzu-Pazuzu with a bunch of kobolds.

sonofzeal
2011-12-27, 02:18 AM
Pazuzu-Pazuzu-Pazuzu with a bunch of kobolds.
Unfortunately, making the knowledge check at lvl 1 without the appropriate Knowledge class skills might be difficult, especially if we're using racial base stats or even the Elite array. We're looking at a max of 2 ranks, +1 int if you put your highest number in there, +3 from Skill Focus, and +3 to a single Kobold from a custom item for 900 gp. Our best bet is to have one Kobold make the check while everyone else performs Aid Another actions. They have an 85% chance of success on the Aid Another, so that's about 16 success for +32, and that gets us there with room to spare, especially since skill checks can't be critfailed even on a nat1.

However, even going this route is no guarantee for victory. The OP hasn't stated how far apart the teams start. If it's within a couple hundred feat, there's decent odds a blitz could take you out before you could actually leverage Pazuzu-Pazuzu-Pazuzu into a victory.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-27, 02:32 AM
20 whisper gnome rogues, all with masterwork hide and move silently tools, crawling on their stomachs in the grass with their heavy crossbows.

sonofzeal
2011-12-27, 02:36 AM
20 whisper gnome rogues, all with masterwork hide and move silently tools, crawling on their stomachs in the grass with their heavy crossbows.
You're up to about 3000 gp that way. The limit's 1000. :smalltongue:

(edit) Also, no class levels.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-27, 02:38 AM
20 Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds with Draconic Rite of Passage(lesser orb of XXXX) led by a master strategist named tucker:smalltongue: all with acid and alchemists fire,etc etc

sonofzeal
2011-12-27, 02:42 AM
20 Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds with Draconic Rite of Passage(lesser orb of XXXX) led by a master strategist named tucker:smalltongue: all with acid and alchemists fire,etc etc
Draconic Rite of Passage costs 100 gp each. You can complete it on ten of them, but the other ten can't. Also, this leaves you no money for acid or alchemist's fire. :smalltongue:

motoko's ghost
2011-12-27, 02:45 AM
Draconic Rite of Passage costs 100 gp each. You can complete it on ten of them, but the other ten can't. Also, this leaves you no money for acid or alchemist's fire. :smalltongue:

Damn,skip the rite for 10 of them, drop the acid/fire and have them all named tucker, that should still be just as powerful:smalltongue:

Keegan__D
2011-12-27, 03:04 PM
The teams start in the corners of a 100x100 grid. Off grid is acid bath or something.

I love the Warforged waiting game and the dragonwraught sleep.

Me and two friends did this. I chose all water orcs with battleaxes (should have done guisarmes), studded leather, and Imp Initiative.
One chose a mix of elf archers and orc/goblin melee. They were overtaken quickly. The last went with wood elves with 6 on walls, 5 behind the walls, and the rest in front. He lasted quite a while (not taking part in the first battle), but eventually dropped with 4 of my orcs remaining.

Donkeys (8gp each) were considered greatly, but we weren't certain how to make them fight.

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-12-28, 02:10 AM
20 lesser wildren with longbows and enough arrows to finish the fight. Tactics are:

1: Burrow into the ground
2: Move to an unoccupied corner of the battlefield
3: Shoot enemies
4: Repeat
5: Profit?

sonofzeal
2011-12-28, 02:15 AM
20 lesser wildren with longbows and enough arrows to finish the fight. Tactics are:

1: Burrow into the ground
2: Move to an unoccupied corner of the battlefield
3: Shoot enemies
4: Repeat
5: Profit?
After 20 Longbows, you're looking at NEGATIVE ten thousand arrows. The gold limit for this is pretty darn harsh.

Curious
2011-12-28, 02:19 AM
20 Warforged Dragonborn with the Heart Aspect, all taking Wild Cohort.

Varil
2011-12-28, 05:07 AM
Hmmm.

10 dwarves with a tower shield each(-300 gp)(used as cover for them and the halflings), using javelins(4 each), but only if the enemy has no ranged weapons. (-40 gp)

10 halflings armed with 10 javelins each.(-100 gp)

Arm each dwarf with 2 bags of marbles(~-10 gp?)

Equip everyone with a suit of studded leather(-500 gp)

One random dwarf will get a use activated 1 time use item of Cobra's Breath(from Complete Arcane, using the magic item creation rules from the DMG).

As for feats....good question! If we're using the "elite array" then Shape Soulmeld : Mantle of Flame for everyone.

If not...hmm. Toughness(you heard me!) for the dwarves, point blank shot for the halflings.

They'll call themselves "The Kneecappers"

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-12-28, 11:20 AM
Okay, slight change to my last strategy. 5 longbows, 14 tower shields, 1 periscope, and lots of arrows. All on lesser wildren, who pop out of the ground a distance away from their enemies to shoot them, and then disappear back into the ground.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 12:08 PM
Elite array for stats or non elite?

Also, do I get feat(s) for being level 1?

Action points?

16 Water Orcs
Feat: Powerful Charge(+1d6 on charge).
1 Glaive each(128 g total)
1 Javelin each(16g total)
Studded Leather Armor(400g total

4 Water Orcs
Feat: Point Blank Shot(since ineligible for Weapon Focus).
1 Flail each(32g total)
6 Javelins each(24g total)
Chain Shirt(400g total)

In addition, each members has two of each free item listed in the phb, such as slings.

Total members: 20
Total gold expended:1000

I'm happily willing to actually fight it out with these guys, if anyone's up for it. I have avoided looking at the entries of others in case this becomes a thing.

Knaight
2011-12-28, 12:17 PM
Each unit is given 50 gp, a free club, and a free sling. The 50 gp is then spent on hirelings, which are also each given a free club and free sling.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 12:25 PM
Each unit is given 50 gp, a free club, and a free sling. The 50 gp is then spent on hirelings, which are also each given a free club and free sling.

Hmm. It's what, 1 gp per day per hireling? So, if you only want to win the two battles...that's a lot of hirelings.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-28, 12:46 PM
You're up to about 3000 gp that way. The limit's 1000. :smalltongue:

(edit) Also, no class levels.

I didn't do the math :smalltongue:

K, scrap the MW tools, and give them light crossbows and leather armor.

Knaight
2011-12-28, 12:51 PM
Hmm. It's what, 1 gp per day per hireling? So, if you only want to win the two battles...that's a lot of hirelings.

I thought it was 1sp. Either way, it works out well.

Keegan__D
2011-12-28, 12:52 PM
I forgot about it, but hirelings are banned.

Elite array, and the racial HD gives you a feat.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 12:57 PM
I thought it was 1sp. Either way, it works out well.

I think that's the NPC classed rate, and the gp is the PC classed rate...wasn't sure which he was using, but either way is a rather large swarm.

Oh well, looks like no hirelings. Can't say I'm surprised.

Knaight
2011-12-28, 12:59 PM
I forgot about it, but hirelings are banned.

Mule Army then. 125 mules should be plenty, particularly given that the donkey stats are applicable, and aren't half bad.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 01:08 PM
Mule Army then. 125 mules should be plenty, particularly given that the donkey stats are applicable, and aren't half bad.

Given the handle animal checks to urge these things forward...I'm pretty ok with that. They've got a complete lack of ranged options.

dextercorvia
2011-12-28, 03:51 PM
I'll take 100 Incarnate Construct(SS) Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Unseelie (Dragon) Kobolds(RotDWE), each with the Wild Cohort feat for 100 Riding Dogs.

I'll think a bit about their equipment.

5 minutes after I posted this, I realized it was Illegal. I was going to use Effigy Creature, but that has LA-, and then promptly forgot about becoming a Construct before taking IC.

Togath
2011-12-28, 08:31 PM

what racial hd?, If a creature possesses only a single hd and also possesses an int of 3 or higher they gain a class level instead.

sonofzeal
2011-12-28, 08:50 PM
Elite array for stats or non elite?

Also, do I get feat(s) for being level 1?

Action points?

16 Water Orcs
Feat: Powerful Charge(+1d6 on charge).
1 Glaive each(128 g total)
1 Javelin each(16g total)
Studded Leather Armor(400g total

4 Water Orcs
Feat: Point Blank Shot(since ineligible for Weapon Focus).
1 Flail each(32g total)
6 Javelins each(24g total)
Chain Shirt(400g total)

In addition, each members has two of each free item listed in the phb, such as slings.

Total members: 20
Total gold expended:1000

I'm happily willing to actually fight it out with these guys, if anyone's up for it. I have avoided looking at the entries of others in case this becomes a thing.
I'd be willing to take you on, if we could find a venue that wasn't too complicated.

Marthinwurer
2011-12-28, 10:34 PM
I'd be willing to take you on, if we could find a venue that wasn't too complicated.

I would love to do this. Maptool would be a very good option for this, and I would be happy to set up some time this weekend.

Edit: What about Flaws?

motoko's ghost
2011-12-28, 10:45 PM
20 half-orcs with greatswords, putting their highest two stats into str&con.
not very tricky but 2d6+3-5 dmg should let them one-shot any others in this challenge:smalltongue:

sonofzeal
2011-12-28, 11:09 PM
I would love to do this. Maptool would be a very good option for this, and I would be happy to set up some time this weekend.

Edit: What about Flaws?
I was assuming no Flaws, non-elite array. Any objections?

Rowan Arquest
2011-12-28, 11:31 PM
I'll take overpowered creatures for 2000 Alex.

What creature that has a fractional HD, will still easily beat HD 1 creatures.

What is house cats.

Correct.

If flaws are allowed I would like to throw in some Incarnum cheese...

Marthinwurer
2011-12-29, 12:33 AM
I was assuming no Flaws, non-elite array. Any objections?

How about one flaw and NPC array?