PDA

View Full Version : Making the Peoples Fall Down - The Black Mage (3.5 Base Class)

Rapidghoul
2011-12-27, 02:30 AM
I'm back with more Final Fantasy homebrew. This time, I bring you my take on everyone's favorite guy who makes the peoples fall down (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/8/85/Blackmage-ff1-nes.png), the Black Mage (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Mage_(Job)).
Black mages are almost entirely limited to damage spells. There are a few exceptions to this, but the flavor and theme of the class is damage. Lots of it. Thus, the class concept is basically a wizard who can only cast from the conjuration and evocation schools, but doing so better than any wizard could normally do.

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/2/2d/Vivi_Ornitier_character.jpg
The Black Mage
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0 Lvl|1st Lvl|2nd Lvl|3rd Lvl|4th Lvl|5th Lvl|6th Lvl|7th Lvl|8th Lvl|9th Lvl
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|1st favored energy, black magic, ebon eye, summon familiar|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Counter blast, ebon hand|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Blast sense +1, ebon word|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Eclectic learning|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|2nd favored energy, blast sense +2, ebon blast|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Lasting damage 1/day|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Blast sense +3|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Eclectic learning|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Blast sense +4, lasting damage 2/day|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|3rd favored energy, overwhelming energy|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-
11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Blast sense +5|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Eclectic learning, lasting damage 3/day|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Blast sense +6|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|Return magic|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-
15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|4th favored energy, blast sense +7, lasting damage 4/day|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-
16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Eclectic learning|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-
17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Blast sense +8|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1
18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Lasting damage 5/day|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2
19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Blast sense +9, opportunistic casting|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3
20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|5th favored energy, ultimate cosmic power|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d4.
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Forgery, Intimidate, Knowledge (all), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Skill Points at 1st level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at each additional level: 2 + Int modifier.

Black Mage Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Black Mages are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield.

Spells: A Black Mage casts arcane spells which are drawn from the Conjuration and Evocation schools of the sorcerer/wizard spell list. You must choose and prepare you spells ahead of time.
To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, you must have an Int score of at least 10 + the spell level. The DC for a saving throw against your spells is 10 + the spell level + your Int modifier.

Bonus Languages: A Black Mage's bonus language options include Draconic.

Spellbook: A Black Mage must study their spellbook each day to prepare spells. You cannot prepare any spell not recorded in your spellbook.
You begin play with a spellbook containing all 0-level Conjuration and Evocation spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus you have, your spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell. At each new Black Mage level, you gain two new spells of any spell level or levels that you can cast (based on your new Black Mage level) for your spellbook.

Black Magic (Su): A Black Mage has particular talent to damaging spells. Whenever you cast a spell or use a spell-like ability that deals hit point damage, you extra damage equal to your Int modifier up to your caster level. A single spell only gains this extra damage once per casting. For instance, a fireball deals the extra damage to all creatures in the area it affects. However, if a 3rd-level Black Mage casts magic missile and produces two missiles, only one of them (of the Black Mage's choice) gains the extra damage. If a spell deals damage for more than 1 round, it deals this extra damage in each round.
You are treated as having a base attack bonus equal to your caster level for purposes of attack rolls for delivering spells and spell-like abilities, and you can substitute your Int modifier for your Str or Dex modifier for these attack rolls. For example, a 5th-level Black Mage with 14 Dex and 20 Int casting lesser orb of acid would add +10 to their ranged touch attack roll rather than +4, and the spell would deal 3d8+5 damage. This only applies to spells cast as a Black Mage.

Favored Energy (Ex): At 1st level, you may select an energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic). Your extensive training grants you several bonuses to this energy type. You gain a +1 bonus to your caster level when casting spells with this energy descriptor, and the DC for these spells' saves is increased by 1. You can prepare one additional spell with this energy descriptor per spell level each day. Finally, you apply the bonus damage from Black Magic an extra time on spells that deal damage with your favored energy descriptor, effectively adding damage equal to your Int modifier up to your (now improved) caster level, doubled.
At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, you may select an additional favored energy from the list, granting a +1 bonus to your caster level, +1 bonus to the DC, extra damage equal to your Int modifier, and an additional prepared spell per level per day with spells with its energy descriptor. In addition, at each such interval, you improve the bonuses to any one favored energy. The bonus to your caster level and DC increases by an additional +1, and you add your Int modifier as bonus damage another time.
For example, a 5th-level Black Mage has two favored energies; with one they gain a +2 bonus to their caster level, +2 to the spells' DCs, and triple their Int modifier to damaging spells, while with the other energy type they gain a +1 bonus to their caster level, +1 to the spells' DCs, and double their Int modifier to damaging spells. They may prepare one additional spell per spell level each day of each favored energy. At 10th level, they have three favored energies, and they gain an additional bonus to one of their favored energies, which they can allocate to the bonus against any one of the three. Thus, the bonuses could be either +2, +2, +1 or +3, +1, +1.

Ebon Eye (Sp): You can use detect magic and read magic as the spells at will. Your caster level equals your class level.

Summon Familiar: A Black Mage can obtain a familiar in exactly the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard can. See the sorcerer description and the accompanying Familiars sidebar (PHB 52) for details.

Counter Blast (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, you can counter any conjuration or evocation spell that deals damage using any spell you've prepared that is one or more spell levels higher than the target spell.

Ebon Hand (Sp): Beginning at 2nd level, you can use mage hand and open/close as the spells at will. Your caster level equals your class level.

Blast Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, you gain a +1 bonus on Spellcraft checks to identify spells from the conjuration and evocation schools. This bonus increases by +1 every odd level.

Ebon Word (Sp): Beginning at 3rd level, you can use arcane mark and message as the spells at will. Your caster level equals your class level.

Eclectic Learning (Ex): At 4th level, you can choose to add a new spell to your spellbook that would normally be outside your area of expertise. The spell must be a sorcerer/wizard spell, but it can be from any school. The spell is treated as being one level higher than normal (for example, invisbility, a 2nd-level sorcerer/wizard spell, would be treated as a 3rd-level Black Mage spell for you). You must be capable of casting spells of the new spell's adjusted level in order to learn it.
You gain an additional new spell at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level. The spells learned in this way cannot be prepared in the extra spell slots granted by Favored Energy, even if the new spells learned have the appropriate energy descriptor, nor can they be used for Counter Blast.

Ebon Blast (Sp): Beginning at 5th level, as long as you have a spell that deals damage available to cast, you can use a standard action to fire an orb of baleful energy at your enemies. This attack requires a successful ranged touch attack with a range of 25ft + 5ft / 2 Black Mage levels. It affects a single target, allowing no saving throw and ignoring spell resistance. The orb deals 1d8 points of untyped damage per level of the highest-level spell that deals damage that you have available. This ability benefits from Black Magic's attack bonus and extra damage, but since its damage is untyped it does not benefit from Favored Energy.

Lasting Damage (Ex): At 6th level, once per day as a swift action, you may cause any creature that fails its save against one of your conjuration or evocation spells that deals damage to again take damage 1 round later equal to half the damage from the original casting of the spell.
Since this damage is not actually from a spell, it does not receive bonus damage from Black Magic. However, you do include any bonus damage applied from Black Magic when calculating the damage dealt in the next round.
At 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level, you gain one additional use of Lasting Damage per day.

Overwhelming Energy (Ex): At 10th level, you are able to augment your spells to damage enemies normally resistant to your favored energies. As a free action, the next spell you cast with one of your favored energies as its energy descriptor ignores any energy resistance of creatures affected by the spell, and affected creatures with energy immunity still take half damage.
This ability can be applied only to spells with energy descriptors of your favored energies. If a spell has multiple energy descriptors (such as a spell augmented by the Energy Admixture metamagic feat), the spell only bypasses energy resistance and immunity for your favored energies. You may use this ability a number of times for each of your favored energies equal to your favored energy bonus. For example, an 10th level Black Mage with favored energies acid (+1), cold (+2), and fire (+2) may use this ability on one acid spell, two cold spells, and two fire spells per day.
Additionally, the damage of your Ebon Blast ability improves to 1d10 damage per level of the highest level damaging spell available to you.

Return Magic (Sp): Beginning at 14th level, whenever you use Counter Blast to successfully counter a conjuration or evocation spell that deals damage which targets you, you may turn the spell back on the caster as an immediate action. Treat this ability as if using Spell Turning on the spell, but do not roll for the number of spell levels turned; the ability turns 100% of the target spell with no left over levels.

Opportunistic Casting (Ex): Beginning at level 19, whenever you are allowed an attack of opportunity, you may cast (and attack with) a touch spell with a casting time of a standard action or less as your attack of opportunity. This incurs attacks of opportunity just as if you had cast the spell normally.

Ultimate Cosmic Power (Ex): At 20th level, you become so skilled at using damaging spells, you are able to surpass the normal limits of such magic. Any spell augmented by your Overwhelming Energy ability deals normal damage even to creatures normally immune to that spell's energy type.
Additionally, the damage of your Ebon Blast ability improves to 1d12 damage per level of the highest level damaging spell available to you.
Finally any spell that deals damage with a max number of damage dice raises the cap by your Int modifier, up to half the normal max. For example, a 20th-level Black Mage with at least 20 Int rolls 15d6 when casting a Fireball even though the normal max is 10d6. Spells that deal damage but do not use dice or do not have a maximum number of dice are unaffected by this ability.

That's what I have so far. I think it represents the super-focused-blasty mage without completely gimping the class *coughWarmagecough*. This is meant to be a moderate-tier-2 class that beats a blasting Wizard (Evoker or Conjurer) or even a Sorcerer at dealing damage, but remains inferior in just about every other way. If you have any criticism for the class's balance or flavor, please let me know.

TravelLog
2011-12-27, 02:39 AM
I like it. I'm disappointed by a lack of Hadoken though...not to mention the whole, Insane Evil and Infinite Daggers things.

Mechanically though, it does what you want it to: be an uber-blaster. You might add a handful necromancy spells though (maybe 1 every 4 levels?), just for some variety. Or at least increase the spells known if you limit it to only Evocation/Conjuration.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-27, 09:15 PM
Well, the class does get Eclectic Learning every four levels, which would allow them to snag random wizard spells (like necromancy) by making it cost a level higher.
I'm not sure what you mean by spells known... it's a prepared caster with a spellbook like a wizard. They can have an unlimited amount of spells known. I considered letting the class get more than 2 spells for free per level, but since they're limited to only two schools, it's not terribly necessary. If you meant spells per day, you have to realize Favored Energy gives an extra spell per level per day every 5 levels. They end up having 9 spells per level before Int bonuses etc.

Lix Lorn
2011-12-28, 11:24 AM
I too was hoping for more 8-bit references, but gimme a bit to be at home to read properly. :smallsmile:

Rapidghoul
2011-12-28, 09:00 PM
The class is meant to be the general Final Fantasy class, not just the 8bit version. That said, I would love to put some more flavor in based on the character. The only problem is that the class isn't meant to be chaotic / evil aligned. Any suggestions on additions that would be fitting?
I thought about adding something like Hadoken (maybe renamed "Arcane Blast" or something) which would be a big, untyped damaging ray that ignores spell resistance which is only usable once per day, maybe 1d12/caster level at close range. I just don't know what level to put it in.

Steward
2011-12-28, 10:49 PM
Maybe you could make it so that (once a day) they can burn a spell slot to use it, and the power of the blast is related in some way to what level spell slot is used to create it. (IE a hadoken made out of a 7th level spell is much stronger than one made out of a 2nd level spell).

Lanaya
2011-12-29, 02:03 AM
Favoured energy seems somewhat abusable, at least at lower levels. A grey elf with 20 Int and favoured energy: sonic can throw around sonic snaps for 11 unsavable damage from a 0-level spell slot at level 1. I can't think of any decent low-level multi-hit spells other than magic missile, which of course won't benefit unless you use some sort of shenaniganery, but if they do exist they could also get a bit crazy.

Lix Lorn
2011-12-29, 11:33 AM
Okay.

First of all, more skill points. General concensus is that even wizards should get more skill points. 4 would prolly be best? A few more class skills might be nice too; perhaps heal? Spot and listen are generally agreed to be necessary for everyone. At the moment, /all/ they can really do is hurt things.

Abilities!
Lanaya makes a good point. Perhaps Favoured Energy should work only on 1st level and above spells?

Note that conjuration is the single most powerful school of magic. (Transmutation is joint though, IIRC), so you may want to be slightly tighter on their spell list.

Arcane Eye is a little off. For a start, the name doesn't really fit all the spells it gives. Second, they're 0-level spells, and the combined uses aren't really worth keeping track of. I'd just suggest giving them as at-wills. I don't THINk it'd cause a problem.

Familiar? Way too OP. Nerf plz. No, not seriously. xD It's fine.

Blast Sense is an awesome name. I was kinda hoping it'd be something more awesome in it's own right.

Return Magic is pretty nasty. I'm not sure if it's OP or just strong, but my instinct would be to nerf it slightly. Perhaps give it as an upgrade to Counter Magic that says when you counter it the PROPER way, you can turn it?

For Opportunic Casting, I'd suggest specifying a spell cast as a standard action or less. I'm not sure any touch damage spells exist as longer, but best to be safe.

Now, for 8bit inspired things. I'd suggest giving 3/4 BAB. Any kind of combatant should have a backup plan, yknow?

Alternatively, or perhaps as well, I'd suggest making Hadoken similar to an Eldritch Blast. Say it counts as a spell, does 1d8/2 CL damage of your favoured energy (1d6 for sonic), and is usable at will. A blaster shouldn't be at risk of running out of blast.

Hope some of this helps.

(Also my obsessive side begs you to capitalise the start of every word in the table. Please?)

Rapidghoul
2011-12-29, 02:43 PM
Favoured energy seems somewhat abusable, at least at lower levels. A grey elf with 20 Int and favoured energy: sonic can throw around sonic snaps for 11 unsavable damage from a 0-level spell slot at level 1. I can't think of any decent low-level multi-hit spells other than magic missile, which of course won't benefit unless you use some sort of shenaniganery, but if they do exist they could also get a bit crazy.
I've added the blurb from Warmage Edge that restricts the damage to once per spell, even for multiple effects like magic missile. As for the 11 damage sonic snap... yeah that is a problem.
For now, I've restricted it from affecting 0-level spells. I could instead remove the extra damage from Black Magic so that only Favored Energy grants it, but that only allows the class to get bonus damage in a much smaller subsection of damaging spells until high levels, which is not what I want to happen. Is there something else you'd recommend to fix it?

Okay.
Okay.

First of all, more skill points. General concensus is that even wizards should get more skill points. 4 would prolly be best? A few more class skills might be nice too; perhaps heal? Spot and listen are generally agreed to be necessary for everyone. At the moment, /all/ they can really do is hurt things.
Eh, yeah, I know what you mean, but they're meant to be very similar to Wizards. I just copied this bit from them. With a focus on Int, they'll regularly have 7+ skill points per level. I added a couple skills that related classes (Sorcerer, Warmage, etc.) have to make it more versatile.

Abilities!
Lanaya makes a good point. Perhaps Favoured Energy should work only on 1st level and above spells?

Note that conjuration is the single most powerful school of magic. (Transmutation is joint though, IIRC), so you may want to be slightly tighter on their spell list.
I made it level 1 or higher for now. I'm not too happy with it like this, but it works.
I know Conjuration is tied for #1, but since they only get Conjuration and Evocation (easily the worst school), they're already so far behind Wizard that I didn't feel like it was necessary to do any other restrictions. I'm aiming for something tier 2ish; strictly worse than Wizard, but still pretty powerful when doing what they need to do. Yeah, a caster with access to all Conjuration spells but no other schools could probably take on a wizard with Conjuration and Transmutation as banned schools, but hey, who would do that?

Arcane Eye is a little off. For a start, the name doesn't really fit all the spells it gives. Second, they're 0-level spells, and the combined uses aren't really worth keeping track of. I'd just suggest giving them as at-wills. I don't THINk it'd cause a problem.
Originally Arcane Eye was just Detect Magic and Read Magic. I added Arcane Mark because it has its place in a few other spells, and I just never changed the name. It was meant to mimic Duskblade's Arcane Attunement with different spells is all it really is.
I've expanded out Arcane Eye into three abilities, all with two cantrips each that are at will abilities: Ebon Eye at 1st level (Detect Magic and Read Magic), Ebon Hand at 2nd (Mage Hand and Open/Close), and Ebon Word at 3rd (Arcane Mark and Message). 6 otherwise-restricted cantrips at will isn't a huge deal (especially when you consider pathfinder gives any cantrips at will), and it gives the class a bit more usability at low levels.

Familiar? Way too OP. Nerf plz. No, not seriously. xD It's fine.
I see wut you did der.

Blast Sense is an awesome name. I was kinda hoping it'd be something more awesome in it's own right.
What were you thinking it would do? It's meant to emulate the Warmage's Evocation Sense (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x), giving the Black Mage more synergy with countering blast spells. What would you suggest adding to make it more awesome?

Return Magic is pretty nasty. I'm not sure if it's OP or just strong, but my instinct would be to nerf it slightly. Perhaps give it as an upgrade to Counter Magic that says when you counter it the PROPER way, you can turn it?
It still requires readying an action, passing the Spellcraft check, and losing a prepared spell. Even so, I made Counter Magic work only for damage spells, that way Return Magic only affects damage spells. Not a huge nerf (since most Conj/Evo spells that target enemies would deal damage), but more accurately representing the mastery of damage spells instead of the mastery over two schools of magic.

For Opportunic Casting, I'd suggest specifying a spell cast as a standard action or less. I'm not sure any touch damage spells exist as longer, but best to be safe.
This is copied almost directly from an epic feat (spell of opportunity I believe). I didn't want to improve it too much since they're getting an epic feat at pre-epic levels and without any prerequisites.

Now, for 8bit inspired things. I'd suggest giving 3/4 BAB. Any kind of combatant should have a backup plan, yknow?
Maybe so, but they're meant to be purely arcane powered. Black Magic raises BAB for delivering spells, which is really all a wizard should really need BAB for. If they need a back up plan, they have Teleport or Summon Monster X. I don't want to risk pushing them into Gish territory.

Alternatively, or perhaps as well, I'd suggest making Hadoken similar to an Eldritch Blast. Say it counts as a spell, does 1d8/2 CL damage of your favoured energy (1d6 for sonic), and is usable at will. A blaster shouldn't be at risk of running out of blast.
While I agree a blaster shouldn't be at risk of running out of blast, they get a pretty ridiculous amount of spells per day with Favored Energy.
In any case, I wrote Hadoken in as Ebon Blast. It works as a reserve feat, allowing sort of an at-will lesser orb spell. I've always liked reserve feats (for a while I even gave the class bonus reserve feats), so I like how it works. Only problem is that it makes Hadoken weak and at-will rather than powerful and once per day. Still, I like how it worked out. Because of the addition of the spell-like abilities and the blast, I removed one of the uses of Lasting Damage.

(Also my obsessive side begs you to capitalise the start of every word in the table. Please?)
That's my preferred way as well, but it's not how they do it in the books. I tried my best to match the official format as closely as possible.

Other minor adjustments include making Black Magic affect all attack rolls for delivering spells and working for spell-like abilities, fixing a couple link errors, grammar, etc.

Lanaya
2011-12-29, 03:23 PM
For now, I've restricted it from affecting 0-level spells. I could instead remove the extra damage from Black Magic so that only Favored Energy grants it, but that only allows the class to get bonus damage in a much smaller subsection of damaging spells until high levels, which is not what I want to happen. Is there something else you'd recommend to fix it?

I think the main problem is the scaling - there's nothing wrong with getting 11 damage from a level 0 spell slot at level 20, since it's just a waste of actions at that point. Perhaps making the maximum bonus damage black magic can deal equal to your class level? So a level 1 black mage with 12+ Int would deal 1 extra damage on any spell, or 1+1=2 bonus damage on their favoured energy type, with 14+ Int they deal 2 or 4 bonus damage at level 2, etc. You still get powerful unsavable damage, but no instant kills from level 0 spells against level-appropriate enemies.

Lix Lorn
2011-12-29, 04:30 PM
Eh, yeah, I know what you mean, but they're meant to be very similar to Wizards. I just copied this bit from them. With a focus on Int, they'll regularly have 7+ skill points per level. I added a couple skills that related classes (Sorcerer, Warmage, etc.) have to make it more versatile.
Should be fine.

I made it level 1 or higher for now. I'm not too happy with it like this, but it works.
I know Conjuration is tied for #1, but since they only get Conjuration and Evocation (easily the worst school), they're already so far behind Wizard that I didn't feel like it was necessary to do any other restrictions. I'm aiming for something tier 2ish; strictly worse than Wizard, but still pretty powerful when doing what they need to do. Yeah, a caster with access to all Conjuration spells but no other schools could probably take on a wizard with Conjuration and Transmutation as banned schools, but hey, who would do that?
Heh.

Originally Arcane Eye was just Detect Magic and Read Magic. I added Arcane Mark because it has its place in a few other spells, and I just never changed the name. It was meant to mimic Duskblade's Arcane Attunement with different spells is all it really is.
I've expanded out Arcane Eye into three abilities, all with two cantrips each that are at will abilities: Ebon Eye at 1st level (Detect Magic and Read Magic), Ebon Hand at 2nd (Mage Hand and Open/Close), and Ebon Word at 3rd (Arcane Mark and Message). 6 otherwise-restricted cantrips at will isn't a huge deal (especially when you consider pathfinder gives any cantrips at will), and it gives the class a bit more usability at low levels.
Ah, shiny.

What were you thinking it would do? It's meant to emulate the Warmage's Evocation Sense (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x), giving the Black Mage more synergy with countering blast spells. What would you suggest adding to make it more awesome?
I'm not sure what I expected. Some kind of elemental affinity with explosions? I'm a silly person.
'Wait! My blast sense is tingling!'

It still requires readying an action, passing the Spellcraft check, and losing a prepared spell. Even so, I made Counter Magic work only for damage spells, that way Return Magic only affects damage spells. Not a huge nerf (since most Conj/Evo spells that target enemies would deal damage), but more accurately representing the mastery of damage spells instead of the mastery over two schools of magic.
Good point. It's probably fine.

This is copied almost directly from an epic feat (spell of opportunity I believe). I didn't want to improve it too much since they're getting an epic feat at pre-epic levels and without any prerequisites.
My suggestion was to make it weaker. As written, if there was an uber powerful touch spell with a five minute cast time you could just use that, I was suggesting only allowing those with a standard action cast.

Maybe so, but they're meant to be purely arcane powered. Black Magic raises BAB for delivering spells, which is really all a wizard should really need BAB for. If they need a back up plan, they have Teleport or Summon Monster X. I don't want to risk pushing them into Gish territory.
Eh, fair enough.

While I agree a blaster shouldn't be at risk of running out of blast, they get a pretty ridiculous amount of spells per day with Favored Energy.
In any case, I wrote Hadoken in as Ebon Blast. It works as a reserve feat, allowing sort of an at-will lesser orb spell. I've always liked reserve feats (for a while I even gave the class bonus reserve feats), so I like how it works. Only problem is that it makes Hadoken weak and at-will rather than powerful and once per day. Still, I like how it worked out. Because of the addition of the spell-like abilities and the blast, I removed one of the uses of Lasting Damage.
Oh, shiny, that works.

That's my preferred way as well, but it's not how they do it in the books. I tried my best to match the official format as closely as possible.
The books are stupid and they should feel stupid! :smallyuk::smallbiggrin:

Rapidghoul
2011-12-29, 05:27 PM
Perhaps making the maximum bonus damage black magic can deal equal to your class level?
I considered something like that, but I felt it was too limiting at low levels. I settled for caster level rather than class level, so a level 1 Black Mage with 20 Int casting Sonic Snap only deals 1 extra damage, but if they chose Sonic as their 1st Favored Energy they deal 4 extra damage since their caster level is increased by 1 (which even a Warmage can do at level 1).

I'm not sure what I expected. Some kind of elemental affinity with explosions? I'm a silly person.
'Wait! My blast sense is tingling!'
I considered adding something like a bonus to your saves if you can identify the spell, but that would create the problem of rolling excessive amounts of dice every single round. I do like the spidey-sense theme though; just complicated for a simple idea.

My suggestion was to make it weaker. As written, if there was an uber powerful touch spell with a five minute cast time you could just use that, I was suggesting only allowing those with a standard action cast.
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying to expand the options to any spell with a standard action cast, not specify touch spells with standard action cast. I'll amend that.

The books are stupid and they should feel stupid! :smallyuk::smallbiggrin:
INORITE?!

Also, Ultimate Cosmic Power now improves Ebon Blast's damage die from d8 to d12. The ability essentially empowers most damage spells at this level, so increasing the die by 1.5 seemed fitting (even though this is slightly less than giving it x1.5 dice).

Lix Lorn
2011-12-29, 05:37 PM
Also, Ultimate Cosmic Power now improves Ebon Blast's damage die from d8 to d12. The ability essentially empowers most damage spells at this level, so increasing the die by 1.5 seemed fitting (even though this is slightly less than giving it x1.5 dice).
Very cool. Maybe let them choose to make it an energy attack? That way they'd get bonus damage, but would be doing typed damage, which is easier to stop.

KainelWyst
2011-12-29, 05:50 PM
Win. I giggled like a school girl when the utter awesomeness of this class first hit me.

I dig it. In fact, I want to play it, should I find a decently permissive dm.

Epic win, really.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-30, 02:28 PM
Very cool. Maybe let them choose to make it an energy attack? That way they'd get bonus damage, but would be doing typed damage, which is easier to stop.
I considered putting in something about Favored Energy on Ebon Blast, letting them change the damage type... but I don't know. It's really meant to just represent pure arcane power they can shoot at things. It trades versatility and power to ignore SR, saving throws, and energy resistance/immunity. I might end up changing it still. Just not sure for now.
Also, I made Overwhelming Energy increase Ebon Blast's die to d10. This way it scales up with the class, and it makes sense that something called "Overwhelming Energy" would do that.

Win. I giggled like a school girl when the utter awesomeness of this class first hit me.

I dig it. In fact, I want to play it, should I find a decently permissive dm.

Epic win, really.
Glad you like it! :smallbiggrin: If you do manage to play it, please let me know how it works out! I'd love to hear playtesting stories.

Drynwyn
2012-01-06, 08:54 PM
Looks good, but 3 things.
Lasting Damage seems a little not-a-black-Mage's-idiom, and not that useful. Maybe replace it with sudden Metamagic?
Secondly, as written, each Favored Energy after the first gives an additional spell slot per level for anything, not just that energy descriptor- even as I think it's intended, it's 5 extra slots per spell level at 20th. Might want to consider making it a slot that can be filled by a spell with any Favored Energy's descriptor.
Thirdly, only conjuration and evocation, while it works in most cases, leave's out a couple good damage spells, most notably Disintegrate. I might say that it's conjuration, evocation, and any Sorceror/wizard spell whose only effect is to deal damage.

Rapidghoul
2012-01-06, 11:01 PM
Looks good, but 3 things.
Lasting Damage seems a little not-a-black-Mage's-idiom, and not that useful. Maybe replace it with sudden Metamagic?
It's all about damage. As I explained, it's from Master Specialist's Major Evocation Esoterica, the capstone of the prestige class. It's actually very similar to having Sudden Empower Spell a scaling number times per day by spreading the damage across two turns. PLUS you can Empower the spell with the actual metamagic feat again for even more damage. Very useful for a blaster.

Secondly, as written, each Favored Energy after the first gives an additional spell slot per level for anything, not just that energy descriptor- even as I think it's intended, it's 5 extra slots per spell level at 20th. Might want to consider making it a slot that can be filled by a spell with any Favored Energy's descriptor.
The class is intended to have one extra spell slot for each energy type per level per day, so that at level 20 you'll have 4 spells from anywhere in your spellbook, 1 acid spell, 1 cold spell, 1 electricity spell, 1 fire spell, and 1 sonic spell per level. The example describes it as such. I reworded the description to hopefully make more sense.

Thirdly, only conjuration and evocation, while it works in most cases, leave's out a couple good damage spells, most notably Disintegrate. I might say that it's conjuration, evocation, and any Sorceror/wizard spell whose only effect is to deal damage.
Hence: Eclectic Learning. Adding in random spells that only deal damage is really messy and complicated. Disintegrate is probably the biggest exclusion from the spell list, but really there are enough damage spells that even trump that for Black Mage. And, again, there's always Eclectic Learning. The class abilities that enhance your damage are all specifically left open to apply to any school in case someone does use Eclectic Learning to learn something like Disintegrate.