PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying an Earth Elemental

FearlessGnome
2011-12-27, 09:30 AM
Heya. I'm DMing a game, and the party's druid has an earth elemental as an elemental companion. Now, for battles and such I'll let the player direct it on his own, but it just returned from scouting, and as it's intelligent, I'd like to be able to write more than just "It informs you that x and y." So how do I play a small Earth Elemental?

Psyren
2011-12-27, 10:18 AM
I'd get colorful when it relays information. For instance, you could have it refer to every living creature it spies on as "meatbags" or "fleshlings."Have it suggest gliding or burrowing past obstacles, whether or not the party is capable of this mode of movement. And have it criticize the party for being soft.

And give it a gravelly voice :smalltongue:

AugustNights
2011-12-27, 10:29 AM
Can it speak?
You could have a lot of fun with roleplaying it's actions in attempts to explain things if it cannot.

gkathellar
2011-12-27, 10:31 AM
Perhaps an open disdain for the other elements? A hatred of water, fire and especially wind.

Psyren
2011-12-27, 10:31 AM
Can it speak?

Earth elementals speak Terran. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#earthElemental) They're a bit taciturn though.

If nobody in the party speaks Terran, he could end up being a sort of rumbly R2-D2.