PDA

View Full Version : Will saves: do they get any love?

sengmeng
2011-12-27, 03:03 PM
Is there a class feature similar to Evasion which allows half damage with a successful Will save?

Zaq
2011-12-27, 03:08 PM
It's called Mettle, and it works on both Fort and Will. Hexblade is the easiest way to get it, but there are other ways as well.

Incanur
2011-12-27, 03:17 PM
Just to be clear, evasion gives zero damage with a successful Reflex save and mettle does the same for Fort and Will saves. Were you thinking of improved evasion?

erikun
2011-12-27, 03:46 PM
There is also an Improved Mettle, which grants the "half" effect on failed Fort/Will saves and no effect with a successful save. And by "half", I mean whatever the result of a normal successful save would be - meaning nothing happening, in most cases.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-27, 05:59 PM
There is also an Improved Mettle, which grants the "half" effect on failed Fort/Will saves and no effect with a successful save. And by "half", I mean whatever the result of a normal successful save would be - meaning nothing happening, in most cases.

I thought Mettle does not work on Will negates/partial spells.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-27, 06:01 PM

Source? I've heard this before but yet to find any proof of it existing in 3.5 proper.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-27, 06:07 PM
I don't think Improved Mettle exists. Mettle allows you to negate any Fort or Will partial with a successful save, so Improved Mettle would allow you to take the partial on a failed save-- which means you're almost immune to just about anything with Fort/Will partial.

Pathfinder has Stalwart, since Mettle isn't OGC, and Improved Stalwart of which I am aware of precisely one way for a character to obtain.

Morph Bark
2011-12-27, 06:08 PM
Source? I've heard this before but yet to find any proof of it existing in 3.5 proper.

Hexblade 3, Crusader 12 and Pious Templar 1 get it. They may have some differences between them though. Goliath Rogue 2 gets it in place of Evasion, but only for Fort saves.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-27, 06:10 PM
Hexblade 3, Crusader 12 and Pious Templar 1 get it. They may have some differences between them though. Goliath Rogue 2 gets it in place of Evasion, but only for Fort saves.

I was commenting more on the "Improved" bit, vary than regular mettle.:smalltongue:

gkathellar
2011-12-27, 06:13 PM
In the official material, I appear it only appears post-epic.

FMArthur
2011-12-27, 06:17 PM
I cannot even imagine how awful this game must get in post-epic play. :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2011-12-27, 06:28 PM
I was commenting more on the "Improved" bit, vary than regular mettle.:smalltongue:

Ah, carry on then. :smalltongue: The only time I've heard of Improved Mettle was with regards to an Epic PrC.

sengmeng
2011-12-27, 06:29 PM
Thanks all. I thought Mettle was only Fort saves, hence my confusion.

Greenish
2011-12-27, 08:36 PM
Thanks all. I thought Mettle was only Fort saves, hence my confusion.Depends on the version.

I've seen references to an item that grants Imp. Mettle, but can't seem to track it down.

Keld Denar
2011-12-27, 08:42 PM
MIC. Its in the back, part of one of the item sets.

EDIT: Or at least I thought it was...maybe Complete Champion?

Greenish
2011-12-27, 08:52 PM
MIC. Its in the back, part of one of the item sets.Yeah, I thought so too, but couldn't find it either.

[Edit]: Yeah, C.Champ. page 142, Tabard of Valor.

Hirax
2011-12-27, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I thought so too, but couldn't find it either.

[Edit]: Yeah, C.Champ. page 142, Tabard of Valor.

Could a UMD check fool the item into thinking you were below half hit points? Activate blindly seems like it would be the most applicable check?