PDA

View Full Version : Wow... Cyrodils justice system is made of fail.[Oblivion]

druid91
2011-12-27, 05:37 PM
Ok, now I just spent the whole day, a good 12 hours, massacreing my way through the worlds gaurd population. I'd made thousands of gold killing the gaurds, picking up their stuff, selling it, and repeating the process until the wait time between gaurds became too much and I'd move on to the next town.

By the end I had a bounty of 38,000+ gold on my head and random citizens would pick up the fallen gaurds swords and charge me themselves.

Now we come to what happens.

I stage a raid on Skingrad... doesn't go so well, I'm trapped in a corner and about to die, so I surrender. I go to jail. I go to jail for 356 days.

Now... I just MASSACRED MY WAY THROUGH THEIR NATION!!! Killing town gaurds, soldiers, and any unimportant NPC's that got in my way.... And got less than a year of jail-time.

So this experiment returns some surprising results. After jail, I lost no more skills than I do when I get caught killing one person.

So apparently I managed to invoke the old saying "one is a tragedy, a million is a statistic."

Just... wow.

Domochevsky
2011-12-27, 08:16 PM
What, you want lifetime instead? (Well, execution, really, given those numbers.) :smallwink:

Octopus Jack
2011-12-27, 08:54 PM
The justice system is very lenient, I did a similar (though not as extreme) act in Bruma where I slaughtered all the population I could due to them not letting me buy a house, so I took all of them for myself.

druid91
2011-12-27, 09:04 PM
What, you want lifetime instead? (Well, execution, really, given those numbers.) :smallwink:

Actually I was expecting them to refuse my yield and just kill me. I've had it happen before.

I'm mildly upset though, I was hoping to reach a 1,000,000 Septim bounty.

Still since I lived I can always try again.

Cespenar
2011-12-28, 12:58 PM
Ok, now I just spent the whole day, a good 12 hours, massacreing my way through the worlds gaurd population. I'd made thousands of gold killing the gaurds, picking up their stuff, selling it, and repeating the process until the wait time between gaurds became too much and I'd move on to the next town.

By the end I had a bounty of 38,000+ gold on my head and random citizens would pick up the fallen gaurds swords and charge me themselves.

And I thought I had too much time.

druid91
2011-12-28, 01:18 PM
And I thought I had too much time.

Break between semesters. :smalltongue:

Once january comes round my free time will all but vanish.

Triscuitable
2011-12-29, 12:08 AM
Reminds me of an afternoon in AC: Brotherhood. I was bored, so I pickpocketed 1000 florins off stupid Romans, then proceeded to throw them to the ground before one of them punched me. The would-be attacker also ran off to pick up free money. Then I punched a guy near a guard, he runs over, I poison him, he kills all the civvies at the money, more money down, more civvies, more guards poisoned, more carnage. Lasted until I thought my PC would explode.

Jahkaivah
2011-12-29, 12:10 AM
I did a similar (though not as extreme) act in Bruma where I slaughtered all the population I could due to them not letting me buy a house

Moral of the story: Let Octopus Jack have his house.

EDIT: That was funnier when I initially thought you said horse.

Morty
2011-12-29, 12:59 PM
I can't think of a game that had a working "justice system". They're always either too lenient or involve killing people for stealing, provided the game actually lets you break the law at will, and not all of them do. It's just the way it is, I guess.

Psyren
2011-12-31, 10:07 PM
Disproportionate punishment, criminal scum!

Octopus Jack
2012-01-01, 09:37 PM
EDIT: That was funnier when I initially thought you said horse.

I did do a less extreme killing spree when I found out people don't like it when you just take horses... It is way to easy to just slaughter people when you get bored and it opens up lots of nice things you can take, horses to ride and property to live in.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-03, 09:02 AM
The real problem with crime in Oblivion was that everybody knew when something was stolen goods, even if nobody was around when you stole it. You could ride across the map to a different town and the guards would arrest you if you spoke to them. And how does the shopkeeper know not to buy your loot?? :smallannoyed:

I remember back in Daggerfall I would steal everything in a shop during the night and sell it all back to the owner the next day! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

factotum
2012-01-03, 11:04 AM
The real problem with crime in Oblivion was that everybody knew when something was stolen goods, even if nobody was around when you stole it. You could ride across the map to a different town and the guards would arrest you if you spoke to them. And how does the shopkeeper know not to buy your loot?? :smallannoyed:

The real answer to that being that the game only keeps track of the "stolen/not stolen" status of items, not where they were stolen or who they were stolen from... :smallamused:

Cespenar
2012-01-03, 02:19 PM
Still, that same system gave way to a line of quests which I think were fun: the thieves guild fillers.

Leecros
2012-01-03, 09:00 PM
see, this is why i was perfectly happy with the Morrowind Justice System where if your bounty goes above 5,000 GP then it's the death penalty.

Of course, in Morrowind, by the time you were level...i'm going to be generous here and go with 12, the guards were nothing but fodder.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-04, 09:06 AM
The real answer to that being that the game only keeps track of the "stolen/not stolen" status of items, not where they were stolen or who they were stolen from... :smallamused:

Well... yes. I understand the technical reason for it. That was not my point. :smallannoyed:

Avilan the Grey
2012-01-04, 09:12 AM
Well... yes. I understand the technical reason for it. That was not my point. :smallannoyed:

Skyrim still does this, but also have a larger diversity in factions (the fact, for example, that each Hold has it's own set of guards). I would like a mod for Skyrim that lets you sell stolen goods in different Holds but you have to go to a fence if you want to sell it IN the Hold you stole it in. After all, the actual crime / bounty system works this way already.

Seerow
2012-01-04, 09:48 PM
Skyrim still does this, but also have a larger diversity in factions (the fact, for example, that each Hold has it's own set of guards). I would like a mod for Skyrim that lets you sell stolen goods in different Holds but you have to go to a fence if you want to sell it IN the Hold you stole it in. After all, the actual crime / bounty system works this way already.

I'd like it if you could just sell stuff to anyone as long as you weren't seen stealing it.

I mean, if I stole a flawless emerald, I have 5 others just like it in my bag. Why would they buy the first 4, then suddenly expect the last one is stolen?

Maybe an exception for unique items, but generic stuff you shouldn't ever have problems selling.