PDA

View Full Version : Bastard Swords

piraterum
2011-12-27, 05:55 PM
Just a question regarding the weapon,

Its a martial weapon used two handed, and an exotic weapon used one handed,

Would a Large Bastard sword count as a two handed weapon that my medium fighter could use?

and would i still receive the -2 for using a weapon sized to large for the character?

I'm just looking for a big sword that isn't the greatsword.

Thanks.

deuxhero
2011-12-27, 05:58 PM
I don't see why you would not get a penalty.

Telasi
2011-12-27, 06:03 PM
You could use a Large bastard sword two-handed, as per normal for oversized one-handed weapons. Since it'd have to be a one-handed weapon for you to be used that way, you'd need the EWP to qualify, and you'd still be taking the oversized penalty. There's exactly no benefit to using it that way, in other words.

piraterum
2011-12-27, 06:07 PM
Yea, I thought that was gonna be the case.

The extra damage was nice, but I guess power attack with a greatsword will do.

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-27, 06:16 PM
There are several ways of wielding large bastard swords one handed in the system... but as a rule, they all suck, and the extra damage tends to suck, too. The way the math of the system works out is that, in about 90% of the time, the actual damage of the weapon is mostly irrelevant if your goal is to 'deal lots of damage', what actually matters is that you wield it two handed and that it isn't considered a Light weapon and that you power attack with it and stack power attack multipliers and charge damage multipliers.

Read this if you are interested in the various ways of being competent at melee in D&D:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026

Telasi
2011-12-27, 06:17 PM
Try a falchion, if you really want a big sword that isn't a greatsword. It's a pretty good weapon overall, imo. Assuming 3.5, you can make it keen, add some X Bursts or other crit effects, and pick up weapon crystals (to bypass crit immunities) to make the expanded crit range work for you. Just an alternate suggestion.

AspectOfNihil
2011-12-27, 09:14 PM
Go for EWP: Fullblade, for all intents and purposes, it's a large Bastard Sword that Medium Creatures can use.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-27, 09:24 PM
Yea, I thought that was gonna be the case.

The extra damage was nice, but I guess power attack with a greatsword will do.

Power attack will always be the best option to increase a melee character damage output, size increases are meaningless unless you are really milking the system (see the King of Smack for a comparison)

Strormer
2011-12-27, 11:37 PM
Go for EWP: Fullblade, for all intents and purposes, it's a large Bastard Sword that Medium Creatures can use.

The most obnoxious thing I've ever done was a character using two fullblades made for large creatures. I forget the feats I used to pull it off, but it was stupid as I was basically pulling some anime crap swinging around two swords the size of VW bugs.

Knaight
2011-12-27, 11:49 PM

It's also a 3.0 item. That said, there are a bunch of non-greatsword options, not the least of which are the falchion and elven courtblade.

AspectOfNihil
2011-12-27, 11:50 PM
@Strormer, you and me both man, but replace character with Thri-kreen and two with four :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, my DM hates Thri-kreen now

I used Strongarm Bracers, EWP, and Oversized TWF(Refluffed for MWF at DMs approval), worked Beautifully, the guy was nasty as all hell. The fact he had Power Attack, Pounce, and Sneak Attack meant that if he got a surprise round, you were dead.

You can do some nasty things with Fullblades, but by far the simplest is Just proficiency, get one sized for a huge creature, get Strongarm, then watch and laugh as you power attack with a 12 foot long sword.

I love this game :smallamused:

NOhara24
2011-12-28, 08:07 AM
The most obnoxious thing I've ever done was a character using two fullblades made for large creatures. I forget the feats I used to pull it off, but it was stupid as I was basically pulling some anime crap swinging around two swords the size of VW bugs.

My character now uses one fullblade made for large characters. Whenever he kills something with it I like to think that instead of cutting them in half, it makes the same sound as a deer getting hit by a train. Same result too.