PDA

View Full Version : St. Trinian's: What the heck did I just watch?!

Newman
2011-12-27, 08:31 PM
... This was incredibly fun. It shouldn't have been. It really really should trigger all my Moral Guardian fibres... but instead it left me giggling helplessly. Anyone else seen that movie?

Also, we have two (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171084) RP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223079)'s here...

pita
2011-12-28, 06:50 AM
I... really like the trailer, and Mischa Barton is kind of one of my favorite actresses... and I'm one of those few people who likes Russel Brand (I understand he's irritating, but he was great in Forgetting Sarah Marshall)... and Colin Firth and Lena Headey are perfectly good additions to anything.
I will endeavor to track down this film.

Manga Shoggoth
2011-12-28, 06:00 PM
... This was incredibly fun. It shouldn't have been. It really really should trigger all my Moral Guardian fibres... but instead it left me giggling helplessly. Anyone else seen that movie?

I've seen all 6 St Trinian's movies (not that they ever made a 5th movie, you understand) as well as seen most of the original Searle cartoons.

As to the "Moral Guardian fibres" - the originals were considered far more racy at the time than the remake is today.

I put off watching the 2007(?) remake as I was afraid it wouldn't stand up to its predecessors. As it turned out, I thought it was an job excelent reimaging (going for gangs based on stereotypes rather than using the old 4th/6th forms and not showing Flash Harry as a spiv). For heaven's sake, I don't even like Russell Brand, and mostly enjoyed him in the film (although I did think that his version of Flash Harry shouldn't have been wound round Kelly's thumb like that).

It even had a number of shout-outs to the original films and the original drawings, and I must say I much preferred the Joyce Grenfield replacement character in the remake.

If you are interested, the full list of films are:

The Belles of St Trinian's (1954)
Blue Murder at St Trinian's (1957)
The Pure Hell of St Trinian's (1960)
The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery (1966)
The Wildcats of St Trinian's (1980) Nope. Never happened. Nothing to see here...
St Trinian's (2007)
St Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold (2009)

Newman
2011-12-29, 02:37 AM
"Where did we go wrong, George?"

That woman is like Dumbledore without an actual sense of morality and without a McGonagall to actually instill discipline...