PDA

View Full Version : Good bacon cupcake recipe (resolved)

danzibr
2011-12-27, 09:29 PM
A year or two ago I had some awesome, awesome bacon cupcakes. Unfortunately, I have no idea who made them. My wife loves bacon (and cupcakes) and I was hoping to make her a nice treat. I'm a terrible chef (well, I'm not a chef) but I can follow directions. I was looking around online and found quite a few bacon cupcake recipes.

Does anyone have any they have tried and would suggest?

KenderWizard
2011-12-28, 01:59 PM
What in the world is a bacon cupcake?!

danzibr
2011-12-28, 02:38 PM
What in the world is a bacon cupcake?!
A cupcake with bacon in it. It's not made of bacon or anything. The one (or two or three) I had was maple-flavored with little pieces of bacon on the top (though larger than bacon bits) and bacon in the middle.

Pika...
2011-12-28, 07:56 PM
Part of me (my stomach probably) feels Something Tasty+Something Tasty= Something More Tasty, but another part of me (my brain) thinks those are two flavors who should not wed.

I wonder who is right. :smalleek:

danzibr
2011-12-28, 09:03 PM
Part of me (my stomach probably) feels Something Tasty+Something Tasty= Something More Tasty, but another part of me (my brain) thinks those are two flavors who should not wed.

I wonder who is right. :smalleek:
I guarantee you the bacon muffins I had were really good. The bacon flavor is not overpowering. It goes really well with the maple flavor.

On a side note, I'll probably randomly try one of the recipes I found online and report my findings.

Pika...
2011-12-28, 09:22 PM
Why not try the top two or three recipes you find, and compare them?

danzibr
2011-12-28, 09:30 PM
Why not try the top two or three recipes you find, and compare them?
Yeah, that's a better idea. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to cooking.

danzibr
2012-01-01, 11:46 AM
Success! I used this recipe (http://bacontoday.com/maple-bacon-cupcake-recipe-2/) and the cupcakes turned out well. To be honest, they're kind of ugly, but I think I know how to fix it. If you want bacon cupcakes, I totally suggest the linked recipe with the following changes:

another 1/4 cup of self-rising flour
a small bit more milk (to compensate for the increase in flour and due to the fact that mine were a bit crumbly)
use a lot more bacon (I used 3/4 of a cup and it was about right)
wait to apply the frosting (mine melted a bit and looked ugly)
only cook for 15 minutes (also depends on your oven, though)

Still, they were tasty. For all you bacon lovers with a sweet tooth, I suggest bacon cupcakes.

KenderWizard
2012-01-01, 12:44 PM
I am fascinhorrified. Are these cupcakes not very salty then? If it wasn't for the fact that I can't eat wheat and I don't like bacon, I'd just solve this by baking some and seeing what they tasted like!

I thought it was going to be something like Breakfast Muffins: bread base, bacon around the outside, cheese in the middle, egg on top. Breakfast, in a convenient muffin shaped parcel! (I make them with gluten free bread and no bacon for me, but I make the proper ones for others)

factotum
2012-01-01, 04:53 PM
I am fascinhorrified. Are these cupcakes not very salty then?

Salt and sweet actually goes together rather well--someone bought me a packet of fudge with sea salt at Christmas, and the combo worked far better than I thought it would!

danzibr
2012-01-01, 07:37 PM
I am fascinhorrified. Are these cupcakes not very salty then? If it wasn't for the fact that I can't eat wheat and I don't like bacon, I'd just solve this by baking some and seeing what they tasted like!

I thought it was going to be something like Breakfast Muffins: bread base, bacon around the outside, cheese in the middle, egg on top. Breakfast, in a convenient muffin shaped parcel! (I make them with gluten free bread and no bacon for me, but I make the proper ones for others)
Not salty at all. The recipe calls for a tiny pinch of salt, that's it. It's definitely more sweet than anything. Really, imagine a maple cupcake with some bacon flavor/aftertaste (the sweet overpowers as you're eating a bit, but you definitely taste the bacon after a few chews).