PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Theurge+ Divine Crusader

Master Thrower
2011-12-28, 02:20 AM
Hello playground I was just wondering if one was playing in a high level campaign with few books open to players, would this build be viable, assuming you took the right domain for divine crusader?

Neraphim

Wizard 5, Eldritch Knight 5, Divine Crusader 2, Mystic Theurge 8

I believe this nets me 9th level arcane and divine, although the divine side is very limited, I was just wondering what the playground thought of this build, again only with very few books open to players. (also assume no evil in the party, so no wiz/ur-priest)

Urpriest
2011-12-28, 02:24 AM
Looks viable, but you'd have to pick a good domain to get more value out of Divine Crusader than those three caster levels of Wizard would have gotten you.

Flickerdart
2011-12-28, 02:29 AM
Yeah, this works - but you don't really gain very much from your divine side, so what's the point?

Divine Crusader builds become better when:
-You have a way to get spells from other lists (Prestige Ranger and Paladin, Sovereign Speaker, Contemplative, others)
-You don't have casting in the first place, and use this casting to help your fighty stuff rather than as a primary thing (full BAB entry)
-You progress its casting using a class with class features (Ruby Knight Vindicator)

As-is, you're losing three levels of Wizard (and thus five spell slots from your highest levels and six free spells known) for MADness, three slots of the levels you lost, and two spells known of the levels you lost. So you throw away two 9th level spell slots and five spells known, waste your race on Neraph, take crappy feats to qualify for stuff, and what you get for all that effort is needing Charisma as well as Intelligence.

Little Brother
2011-12-28, 06:46 AM
Sometimes I wonder why I bothered to write that.

Bard 7/Abjurant Champion 2/Divine Crusader 2/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 8.

Lucid
2011-12-28, 07:07 AM
Afb right now, but wouldn't you be better of just going Wizard 20 + Arcane Disciple?

Psyren
2011-12-28, 08:54 AM
Sometimes I wonder why I bothered to write that.

Bard 7/Abjurant Champion 2/Divine Crusader 2/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 8.

Beat me to it. Dual 9s, SAD, both the Bard and Sorcerer lists in addition to whatever domain DC gets, and actual class features.

Palanan
2011-12-28, 09:47 AM
For those of us who are still on the slippery side of the learning curve, is there a compilation of builds like that somewhere in the Playground? "Cynwulf's Clever Compendium," or something like that?

Little Brother
2011-12-28, 09:51 AM
For those of us who are still on the slippery side of the learning curve, is there a compilation of builds like that somewhere in the Playground? "Cynwulf's Clever Compendium," or something like that?For theurges? I kinda wrote the handbook in my sig, as imperfect as it is, for a reason...

Palanan
2011-12-28, 10:12 AM
Ah. That explains your otherwise cryptic comment when you posted that build. :smalltongue:

I didn't mean just for theurges, though; I meant a more general compilation of interesting, funky builds. There are a lot of them in the Playground, and elsewhere; just wondered if someone had compiled them in a single reference.