PDA

View Full Version : Aboleth character

*.*.*.*
2011-12-28, 02:39 AM
For an upcoming campaign, my DM is running with Pathfinder's monster rules and I have chosen to play an Aboleth. While an Illithid would be better mechanically, I think the Aboleth deserve some love too. I'm thinking about running a Amphibious(LoM) Psionic Aboleth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/abolethPsionic.htm) instead of the bog standard one. Here is the better part, the campaign is also gestalt! I'd like to get some psionic might, but the aboleth savant PrC(LoM) looks very flavorful and not half bad.

All Books(3.0,3.5,PF) allowed
Level 5 starting. Since Aboleths are CR 7, I have to take the next two levels of one side as Aberration HD
Party consists of: Dwarf Ranger//Rogue, Evolved Undead Vampire//Anti-Paladin(I think), and a Homebrew race Warlock//Rogue

I was thinking:
HD7/Psywar13
Generic Spellcaster4/Meta-Physical Spellshaper1/Aboleth Savant5/Incantrix 10

umbergod
2011-12-28, 03:03 AM
For an upcoming campaign, my DM is running with Pathfinder's monster rules and I have chosen to play an Aboleth. While an Illithid would be better mechanically, I think the Aboleth deserve some love too. I'm thinking about running a Amphibious(LoM) Psionic Aboleth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/abolethPsionic.htm) instead of the bog standard one. Here is the better part, the campaign is also gestalt! I'd like to get some psionic might, but the aboleth savant PrC(LoM) looks very flavorful and not half bad.

All Books(3.0,3.5,PF) allowed
Level 5 starting. Since Aboleths are CR 7, I have to take the next two levels of one side as Aberration HD
Party consists of: Dwarf Ranger//Rogue, Evolved Undead Vampire//Anti-Paladin(I think), and a Homebrew race Warlock//Rogue

I was thinking:
HD7/Psywar13
Generic Spellcaster4/Meta-Physical Spellshaper1/Aboleth Savant5/Incantrix 10

Aboleths have 8 RHD and CR is not an accurate judge of their ECL. given that they dont have an LA, unless someone did a Savage Species calculation, I think its safe to assume their ECL is far above 8

*.*.*.*
2011-12-28, 03:07 AM
Aboleths have 8 RHD and CR is not an accurate judge of their ECL. given that they dont have an LA, unless someone did a Savage Species calculation, I think its safe to assume their ECL is far above 8

CR=ECL (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monstersAsPCs.html)

For those who don't know, Meta-Physical Spellshaper is a 3rd party PrC that allows me to apply Metamagic to spells by taking ability damage(AKA a persistent spell would eat 7 points, but the spell level isn't affected nor is the time)

Igneel
2011-12-28, 03:20 AM
Community Based Monster Class Aboleth (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9367644&postcount=408) is the only material that gives you a possible Aboleth player [edit] that I know of, but I could be wrong. Just be forewarned its a older homebrew in that later Community Based threads had a better system and balance.

Also don't forget to look into Aboleth Mucus as one of the most deadliest 'grenade/poison' weapons you can get. [Normally a 20 gp per bottle] You can throw this icky stuff and if you hit their Touch AC the victim has to make a Fort DC 19 or loose the ability to breath air for [edit II] 3 [S]mins hours, effectively starting to 'drown'. Cure Poison and similar spells don't help since its not a poison, only really finding someone to cast Water Breathing and sticking one's head into a bucket of water can save them. Since your a Aboleth, it would only make sense that you can get free bottles of this to hand over to your comrades as well as sell on the black market.

[edit III] Of course I find something else after using google... link (http://www.iourn.com/dnd/races/exotic/aboleth.htm) a 'Savage Species'-like class version. Might be worth looking into.

Cruiser1
2011-12-28, 09:45 AM
Cure Poison and similar spells don't help since its not a poison, only really finding someone to cast Water Breathing and sticking one's head into a bucket of water can save them.Easier is to just cast the spell Air Breathing (SpC) so they can breathe air again. Simulate it with a Limited Wish or Miracle if you don't have that spell known or prepared. It's unclear how a continuous effect from a spell saying "you can breathe air" combines with a non-magic continuous effect saying "you can't breathe air". Does the magic effect dominate, or does the most recently applied one take effect, in which case another application of Aboleth Mucus on the target would require another casting of Air Breathing?

Cog
2011-12-28, 02:44 PM
For those who don't know, Meta-Physical Spellshaper is a 3rd party PrC that allows me to apply Metamagic to spells by taking ability damage(AKA a persistent spell would eat 7 points, but the spell level isn't affected nor is the time)
You're playing a slimy, betentacled Lovecraftian fishmonster, and you're taking a PrC from that book?

I'm going to go hide in a corner.

That aside, unless the rest of your party is optimizing a lot more than their class combinations suggest, I think you'll get along just fine as is.

*.*.*.*
2011-12-28, 04:18 PM
You're playing a slimy, betentacled Lovecraftian fishmonster, and you're taking a PrC from that book?

I'm going to go hide in a corner.

That aside, unless the rest of your party is optimizing a lot more than their class combinations suggest, I think you'll get along just fine as is.

I know, right?:smallbiggrin:

I was thinking

Flaw-Quicken Spell
Flaw-Extend Spell
1-Persist
3-Ability Focus(enslave)
Otyugh Hole-Iron will->Quickslime
5-Ability Focus(slime)
Elder Evil- Aboleth Glyph

Any ideas for 7-20

sreservoir
2011-12-28, 06:05 PM

of course it would. can you think of a better build to use that book in?

*.*.*.*
2011-12-28, 09:24 PM
I'm trying to decide on what psywar feats I should grab, any suggestions on feats, gear, or powers/spells would be nice.