PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Weíztros: Kingdom of Wazkroz. (W.I.P)

Kazou
2011-12-28, 04:37 PM
Ok so I'm going to start up a setting, coming up with some random ideas and adding them here. You can always suggest what should be changed/added...
Small information you need to know, the world is called Weíztros and the Kingdom this setting takes place in is called Wakroz.

You can contribute to the Pantheon and the cities... I suck at making those.

Pantheon

Currently planning using nine gods for each of the alignments.

Kingdom of Wakroz

Kingdom of Wakroz has one king and five lords ruling over the land, The five lords have their own area to rule. The kingdom sits on a large island near the mainland of the world.

Wakroz is very well developed land and has better equipment in use than the mainland, men originate from

The center of the island is a mountain, surrounding the mountain are forests and hills, one lake near the mountain which continues into a river. There are lot of mines and caves close to the mountain, so there should be plenty of exploration for adventurers. There's also a small mountainrange on the West coast of Wakroz

The currency is the normal Copper (Ship), Silver(Throne) and Gold(Crown) system used in all of the known world but has own images on the coins.

Cosmology of Weíztros

The planes are as following
1. Material Plane
2. Astral Plane
3. Shadow Plane
5. Celestial Plane
5. Underworld

Playable Races

Humans
Elves
Half-Elves
Dragonborn
Dwarves

Talk about races

Dragonborn
are quite rare on the Island of Wakroz but they are viewed as normal citizens like any other and sometimes even with bit of respect they don't get from many other places. They are usually soldiers for the Kingdom because of their abilities.

Elves Elves are quite withdrawn folk, they don't often converse with other races unless their skills are needed on missions.

Dwarves Dwarves are more social folk than Elves, they usually work in the forges, mines and in other crafty profession to make a living.

Natural Caverns

There are lots of natural caverns running underground

Ancient Dungeons

The gods have placed many challenging dungeons on the island for testing mortals, some say that the ones who complete certain amount of these dungeons alive, may ascend to divine status.

So what do you guys think so far?

Yora
2011-12-28, 04:42 PM
What is the world about?

Why wouldn't I just explore that unmapped territory beyond the next hill in any other setting?

Kazou
2011-12-28, 04:50 PM
What is the world about?

Why wouldn't I just explore that unmapped territory beyond the next hill in any other setting?

The thing is, the place is currently W.I.P... And the 'Ancient Dungeons' should give you a idea of the possible story, anyways there is currently some evil dragon problems on the mainland which the Dragonslayers' Clan are taking care of so access to Weíztros is closed... And I'm thinking of making this setting flexible enough to use random generators to give me ideas for quests and stuff, so it would be more unpredictable.

And there are other reasons, hidden legendary weapons of power... Evil dictator lord trying to manipulate his piece of land and at the same time trying to cause a rebellion against the good king of Wakroz. Sounds good enough?

Yora
2011-12-28, 04:59 PM
What I am always asking as the very first thing when someone has a new setting, is what they can tell me about the world that makes me think "please tell me more about that".
Every setting has dungeons and legendary relics, and dragons as major foes are also quite common.

Eberron is about treasure hunters in an early 20th century society. Ravenloft is about characters being trapped in small worlds right out of classic horror novels. Planescape is about a city that conects to all places in the world and the heavens and hells, where creatures from all these places come together. Those are things that make me think "Any other setting doesn't have that, this is something new".

Kazou
2011-12-28, 05:07 PM
What I am always asking as the very first thing when someone has a new setting, is what they can tell me about the world that makes me think "please tell me more about that".
Every setting has dungeons and legendary relics, and dragons as major foes are also quite common.

Eberron is about treasure hunters in an early 20th century society. Ravenloft is about characters being trapped in small worlds right out of classic horror novels. Planescape is about a city that conects to all places in the world and the heavens and hells, where creatures from all these places come together. Those are things that make me think "Any other setting doesn't have that, this is something new".

Well... Not everbody likes to have massively unique setting.. I want to built something traditional D&D you know? And you can suggest some ideas if you want, this can be a collab setting too...

And what did D&D mean again? DUNGEONS & DRAGONS... It's hard to find a setting without those two in some kind of shape or form. I can add just about anything to this setting, I think it would be a bit of Industrial era setting, always loved it... But never hardcore steampunk with it's flying ships and stuff...

Zap Dynamic
2011-12-29, 10:51 AM
Having a sandbox setting can be a lot of fun, but there's a worldbuilding continuum between sandbox and detail. If I had to map it out, it might look something like this:

Completely Open: This setting is literally a blank canvas for the players to create as they play, whether through the aid of random tables, or just collaborative storytelling.
Mostly Open: The world has a little structure, i.e. "This is a world inspired by Ancient Greece." Otherwise, players have agency to create what they will.
Neutral: This setting is a little more constricted, i.e. "Ancient Greece where the kings are all dragons and the economy revolves around paying them homage or being eaten. Every town has a shrine or guild devoted to this purpose, and the players are members of these organizations, responsible for mining old dungeons for lost treasure."
Somewhat Structured: Here, there may be a list of organizations (governments, religions, guilds, etc.) that run the world, as well as major players in these organizations. The world probably has a somewhat detailed history, and the GM is likely to have a clear vision for the story.
Highly Structured: This world has all of the above, and is rarely more than one step away from railroading. Oftentimes, the GM knows exactly the story he wants to tell, but the good ones are still open to player agency.

Obviously, that's a dumbed-down list. There are plenty of degrees on this spectrum, and I've glossed over a lot of the details. That said, what kind of world are you interested in building? If it's one of the more open worlds, you're going to have to do less worldbuilding, and generate more random tables.

Either way, I think one of the most important things for a world to have is possibility. There has to be a story that can take place there, whether it be exploration, mystery, conflict, or any of a wide array of other options. What are your stories going to be about?

Kazou
2011-12-29, 12:54 PM
Well... It really depends on the players what they want, look at my other posts on this topic and you should get a little info on the setting... I'm currently trying to think what works better, Industrial age or Late medieval? And yeah, I would be building the world as the game proceeds. Anyways, ignore the typos I made in the first post(Mostly the name typo), I was damn tired when I wrote it but I can't resist working when I'm tired, I get more ideas that way.

I would say that the genre of the world would be the classic Heroic mixed in with some Dark fantasy.

Zap Dynamic
2011-12-29, 01:15 PM
Well... It really depends on the players what they want

In that case, I think you should be asking your players for help in creating the setting. I love collaborative worldbuilding, but what it seems like you're saying is "I want to make this world ahead of time" and "I want to create this world on-the-fly" simultaneously.

Kazou
2011-12-29, 01:25 PM
In that case, I think you should be asking your players for help in creating the setting. I love collaborative worldbuilding, but what it seems like you're saying is "I want to make this world ahead of time" and "I want to create this world on-the-fly" simultaneously.

It's more like "I want to make the bare bones of this world ahead of time and then let the players participate by coming up with ideas.". It's like that because I would be able to be more flexible with stuff.

Zap Dynamic
2011-12-29, 01:33 PM
Gotcha! Sorry for my confusion.

In that case, one of the things I'm a pretty big fan of doing is having the Neutral deity be "actively neutral." For example, maybe the neutral deity's adherents are staunch advocates of balance in all things, and they actively seek to pull down both good and evil forces in the name of balance.

Kazou
2011-12-29, 01:53 PM
Gotcha! Sorry for my confusion.

In that case, one of the things I'm a pretty big fan of doing is having the Neutral deity be "actively neutral." For example, maybe the neutral deity's adherents are staunch advocates of balance in all things, and they actively seek to pull down both good and evil forces in the name of balance.

Hmm... I don't know how to work with this kind of deity, I'm way too used to Pantheons like the Greco-Roman and Norse pantheons.