PDA

View Full Version : I need A winter Hoodie.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-12-28, 04:51 PM
I've never really been a big fan of big winter jackets, and it doesn't get that cold where I live, but I still need something warm. I was looking to invest in a good warm hoodie for the winter season, as It seems like a perfect alternative to A winter jacket. I tried shopping around On online clothing stores, but most don't have reviews, and tend to be well less than helpful.

So does anyone have any suggestions for nice very warm hoodies?

Mauve Shirt
2011-12-28, 05:48 PM
You might try L.L. Bean? They're a bit pricey, but their clothes are quality and their hoodies are warm.

Artemis97
2011-12-28, 06:49 PM
I'll second LL Bean. The one I ordered from them is lined with a soft fuzzy material and thicker than a normal hoodie's fabric, so it stops the wind nicely.

Tirian
2011-12-28, 07:12 PM
Yeah, you can't go wrong with L.L. Bean or Lands' End when it comes to clothes for surviving winter. I also have to testify that I'm sitting at the keyboard wearing an Old Navy polar fleece thingie* that I got for Holiday and am thrilling in the plush luxury.

I'd advise you toward the other end of the layering scheme, though. You don't take off a hoodie the way you do a jacket, so do you really want to be "wearing the same thing" all winter? I prefer a nice set of silk long underwear -- they breathe magnificently so you don't notice them inside but you can survive outside even when it dips below freezing with at worst a hat or a pair of gloves. You can get those at any athletic store you like or probably the aforementioned L.L. Bean and Lands' End.

* What do you young people of today call a hoodie that doesn't have a hood? I'd call it a sweatshirt, but it's got a half-zipper. For crying out loud, these modern times frighten and confuse me.

Vacant
2011-12-28, 08:22 PM
I would say sweatshirt if I needed to be specific, but in general would refer to it as a jacket.

Nix Nihila
2011-12-29, 02:21 AM
* What do you young people of today call a hoodie that doesn't have a hood? I'd call it a sweatshirt, but it's got a half-zipper. For crying out loud, these modern times frighten and confuse me.

A cardigan, perhaps? I believe the distinction is that cardigans are a subtype of sweater which opens in the front, whereas sweaters that don't are called pullovers.

thubby
2011-12-29, 03:25 AM
theres no substitute for going to a store and trying the stuff on.

the hoodie started as an item marketed to those who worked outdoors. if you want one thats durable, cheap, and warm, go where you'd expect to find someone who works outdoors shopping.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-12-29, 05:37 AM
Generally, despite their poor taste, stores like Hollister and American Eagle have amazingly warm and comfortable hoodies.

Also, a cardigan is a very specific type of sweater. It's open in front, with a large V-neck and buttons that only go up half-way. It's not really a winter-friendly sweater, and is used in the same way a preppy v-neck usually is. Example:
http://leopardprintcardigan.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cardigan-for-men.jpg

Nix Nihila
2011-12-29, 12:08 PM
I realize I didn't offer any suggestions in my last post. LL Bean is good, as is Old Navy, but I'm going to second the idea of just going out and trying something on.

Also, a cardigan is a very specific type of sweater. It's open in front, with a large V-neck and buttons that only go up half-way. It's not really a winter-friendly sweater, and is used in the same way a preppy v-neck usually is. Example:
http://leopardprintcardigan.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cardigan-for-men.jpg

While they often look like that (especially if we're talking men's cardigans), by definition, any sweater with an open front is a cardigan.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-12-29, 03:58 PM
I checked out LL bean and think I found something perfect. Thanks a lot for the help!