Born on a Monday
Christened on Tuesday
Married on Wednesday
Took ill on Thursday
Grew worse on Friday
Died on Saturday
Buried on Sunday
This is the end of Solomon Grundy

However the start of what I'm going to include as a mini-adventure in a campaign I run. I'm planning on introducing an NPC called Cyrus Gold, who will go through some of the stages found in the poem, (Clues will be given about the first 3 as they can't fully happen within the PC's time frame) and then he's going to come back, my first idea was a Necropolitan Half-Giant, however Necropolitan is Humanoid/Monstrous Humanoid only. However I seem to be stumped to think of anything else that would fit as nicely. Also taking from Arkham City the weapons for his rampage, the two giant Iron balls on chain (Would a Flail cover this? or are there actually rules for it, ie. Orc Shotput as a Reach Weapon, Able to attack adjacent creatures, with a Trip/Disarm mechanic as well?)

Waker
2011-12-28, 08:02 PM
I would think making him a large Wight would probably be sufficient. As for the iron balls, a meteor hammer would work just fine (Pathfinder). Alternatively you could use weighted chains (Savage Species?).

Thurbane
2011-12-28, 08:37 PM
Corpse Creature Half Ogre?

Zeta Kai
2011-12-28, 09:46 PM
Spellstitched Zombie Troll dual-wielding morning stars?

Winds
2011-12-28, 10:50 PM
Perhaps an ogre would suffice. They meet Grundy's Arkham persona in terms of size and intellect. Perhaps a re-worked Evolved Undead template to account for him keeping that personality...or homebrew an undead of your own, since DnD's tools don't include anything quite like him. As for the weapons, flails that don't have spikes. Just have them deal blunt force damage.

TurtleKing
2011-12-29, 01:25 AM
Iron balls on a chain...sounds like a bolas to me.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-29, 06:28 PM
Wow, I totally thought Wight's were incorporeal, it has been forever since I've seen them. Any thoughts on the Base Creature? Has to be a Humanoid.

And Corpse Creature, even better, because as per the comics Grundy isn't stupid or mindless. And I do like Half-Ogre, but he is Human, How Permanent is Permanent? I'm wondering about a Permanent Enlarged Human. with a high Strength.

Hmm, Template Stacking, Permanent Enlarged Spellstiched Corpse Creature Human, Do-able? (Spell-Stitched is Corporeal Undead only, Corpse Creauture is Corporeal, Non-Undead, Non-Construct, Non-Plant) Hmm, Too Bad a Flesh Golem is a Construct, because the abilities fit Grundy perfectly. Is there a way to remove the Construct status? Because Spell-stitched Corpse Creature Flesh Golem would be, just, wow.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 06:31 PM
You want a modified Yellow Musk Creeper Zombie (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/yellowMuskCreeper.html) for starters. Folks tend to forget that Solomon Grundy was:

A. A failed Plant Elemental

and

B. Had a body composed mostly of plant and wood matter, which made it impossible for Alan Scott to properly affect him.

Edit:

You also want to give him the Soul-locked Creature template from Heroes of Horror. Solomon Grundy never stays dead for long.

ZeroGear
2011-12-29, 07:18 PM
Hulking corpse (LM) comes to mind, though If it can be something not undead, I would think Death Giant (MM3) with giant morningstars kinda comes to mind.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-30, 10:26 AM
You want a modified Yellow Musk Creeper Zombie (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/yellowMuskCreeper.html) for starters. Folks tend to forget that Solomon Grundy was:

A. A failed Plant Elemental

and

B. Had a body composed mostly of plant and wood matter, which made it impossible for Alan Scott to properly affect him.

Edit:

You also want to give him the Soul-locked Creature template from Heroes of Horror. Solomon Grundy never stays dead for long.

I didn't forget, I just didn't know about the Yellow Musk Zombie. And Soul-Locked, got it. Any other templates to add?

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-30, 12:06 PM
I didn't forget, I just didn't know about the Yellow Musk Zombie. And Soul-Locked, got it. Any other templates to add?

Well, at that point you're more or less good to go as long as you start with some kind of Giant or large creature with a high strength score and looks overall humanoid.

Solomon Grundy is big and tough and that's about as complicated as he ever gets. So you may look into boosting his strength score and getting him some Damage Reduction and there are a plethora of ways to do that. Otherwise, just stack on levels of Barbarian or any other melee class.

Thurbane
2011-12-30, 03:01 PM
Soul-locked? Never heard of that template, and I can't find it in HoH?

Pyron
2011-12-30, 03:29 PM
However the start of what I'm going to include as a mini-adventure in a campaign I run. I'm planning on introducing an NPC called Cyrus Gold, who will go through some of the stages found in the poem, (Clues will be given about the first 3 as they can't fully happen within the PC's time frame) and then he's going to come back, my first idea was a Necropolitan Half-Giant, however Necropolitan is Humanoid/Monstrous Humanoid only. However I seem to be stumped to think of anything else that would fit as nicely. Also taking from Arkham City the weapons for his rampage, the two giant Iron balls on chain (Would a Flail cover this? or are there actually rules for it, ie. Orc Shotput as a Reach Weapon, Able to attack adjacent creatures, with a Trip/Disarm mechanic as well?)

Personally, I wouldn't get hung up on the this-and-that of templates or specific monsters. You're the DM, it's within your right to tweak the rules. If you want to make a Necropolitan Half-Giant to represent Solomon, then do it.

Although I am familiar with his history in the comics, Solomon Grundy is a taken on the classical Frankenstein monster. So, I start out making him a simple flesh golem. That gives him healing from lightning and make him really tough. If you want, you can swap his construct traits for undead traits, give him INT 3 (and feats) and make him a little stronger if desired.

Finally for his iron balls, I would use the stats for a spike chain but change the piercing damage to bludgeoning. That'll give you reach and trip capabilities. Oh, maybe add the Shocking enchantment for an extra +1d6 elec damage.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is: I doubt that there is going to be a D&D monster or template that faithfully represents Solomon. So, instead of combing the monster manual for a perfect fit, find out what abilities/traits you want him to possess and go from there.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-30, 03:32 PM
Soul-locked? Never heard of that template, and I can't find it in HoH?

Page 47. It's more a fluff block that talks about what it does to a creature then a straight template.

Crasical
2011-12-30, 03:34 PM
Take a look at the Dwarven Dorn-Dergar. It's a pathfinder weapon, on the SRD. Pretty much exactly what you describe, an iron ball on a chain.

Lord Tyger
2011-12-30, 03:37 PM
Not helpful statwise, sorry, but it's noteworthy that some forms of the Solomon Grundy rhyme elaborate on the days.

Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday,
Christened on a stark and stormy Tuesday,
Married on a gray and grisly Wednesday,
Took ill on a mild and mellow Thursday,
Grew worse on a bright and breezy Friday,
Died on a gay and glorious Saturday,
Buried on a baking, blistering Sunday.
That was the end of Solomon Grundy.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-30, 03:51 PM
I guess the point I'm trying to make is: I doubt that there is going to be a D&D monster or template that faithfully represents Solomon. So, instead of combing the monster manual for a perfect fit, find out what abilities/traits you want him to possess and go from there.

Musk Creeper Zombie+Tiefling+Something to bump them up one size category.

Then it's all about how tough you want Grundy and how powerful you want him to be.

Musk Creeper Zombie+Half-Troll+Half-Minotaur+Tiefling+Soul-locked Creature. Make him not tied to the Creeper and make him intelligent.

Boom. Only a few small things need to be fiated and the rest are tools provided by Wizards of the Coast and Paizo.

Thurbane
2011-12-30, 05:58 PM
Page 47. It's more a fluff block that talks about what it does to a creature then a straight template.
Ah, OK thanks. :smallwink:

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-30, 11:14 PM
Personally, I wouldn't get hung up on the this-and-that of templates or specific monsters. You're the DM, it's within your right to tweak the rules. If you want to make a Necropolitan Half-Giant to represent Solomon, then do it.

Although I am familiar with his history in the comics, Solomon Grundy is a taken on the classical Frankenstein monster. So, I start out making him a simple flesh golem. That gives him healing from lightning and make him really tough. If you want, you can swap his construct traits for undead traits, give him INT 3 (and feats) and make him a little stronger if desired.

Finally for his iron balls, I would use the stats for a spike chain but change the piercing damage to bludgeoning. That'll give you reach and trip capabilities. Oh, maybe add the Shocking enchantment for an extra +1d6 elec damage.

You make an excellent point. Flesh Golem did look to be the absolute closest to Grundy. I was just hoping I could find something in the rules that could work.

Take a look at the Dwarven Dorn-Dergar. It's a pathfinder weapon, on the SRD. Pretty much exactly what you describe, an iron ball on a chain.

It doesn't list Damage, However with a few feats worth of investment I can have him Dual-Wield them.

Crasical
2011-12-31, 10:01 AM
It doesn't list Damage, However with a few feats worth of investment I can have him Dual-Wield them.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

Then Ctrl+F for 'Dorn'. It's 50g, 1d10 damage, Exotic 2-handed, x2 crit, Reach, 15lb weapon.

I'm not sure -why- the PF SRD doesn't put the relevant stats on the actual page for the weapon itself, but it's all on the main weapon page.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-12-31, 10:50 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

Then Ctrl+F for 'Dorn'. It's 50g, 1d10 damage, Exotic 2-handed, x2 crit, Reach, 15lb weapon.

I'm not sure -why- the PF SRD doesn't put the relevant stats on the actual page for the weapon itself, but it's all on the main weapon page.

Ah, thank you., oddly enough, that's close to what I would've put it at, just x2 crit instead of x3 (Things that smash well, smash hard)