PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Keep on Keeping on the Shadowfell IC

Luck
2011-12-28, 11:59 PM
Whatever your individual fates may be, they’ve all converged here in the city of River Watch. Strategically positioned where the north-south running King’s Road intersects with the west to east flowing Sky Eye River, the city was founded for military purposes, but now functions as a trading hub. The most notable feature of the city is River Watch Keep. It is a massive fortification consisting of a column filling the whole of the river from side to side. Two large archways cut through it to allow the river’s flow and the passage of ships. Large walkways connect the King’s Road on each shore to the Keep and lead through to the opposite sides. The “ground floor” is merely a large empty space which serves as a great bazaar for the various ships and caravans which pass through to hawk their wares. The upper levels of the keep are reserved for government services.

Physical wares aren’t the only thing to buy and sell in River Watch. Someone can be found for almost any services or task, if you can pay the right price. Though slavery is prohibited; prostitution, theft, and even assassination, are legal services to be bought and sold. Because of this, mercenary work is a hot commodity. Offering bodyguarding and protection services, the mercenary companies around long enough to earn a good reputation for their work are able to charge very lucrative amounts. Often, simply knowing that a certain company has been hired as protection is enough insurance for most merchants.

Whether you arrived here by chance, are simply passing through, or are seeking adventure, you find yourself in need of some coin. You don’t know when it happened, but you were robbed. Your purse is empty and you’re hungry and in need of a bed. Too proud to beg and unwilling to sell the few possessions you have left, you seek to sell your services as a mercenary.

Unfortunately, each company you inquire with turns you away. It’s after one such rejection that you’re approached by a human woman who appears to be in her 30s. “Hi there, my name is Margyn Staul. Are you a merc, by chance? I mean, you’re not wearing a uniform, and you’re not equipped like a merc, but you just came from that merc compound. So, maybe…” You can hear the hope growing in her voice. “…you’re a freelancer? Because I need to hire someone, but I just can’t afford what these companies are asking.” Her tone becomes more somber as she continues. “You see, I’m worried something has happened to my husband. He’s a historian, but also a bit of an adventurer. He’s gone out on these trips before, and they’ve been quite successful, but this time I’m worried he might not make it back. He always sends me correspondence from his trips, and I’ve received a few from this trip, but they’ve stopped. It’s now been three weeks since I last received anything, and accounting for delivery time, he may have been missing for a month now.” The tears swelling in her eyes are unmistakable as she tells her story.

Agreeing to assist her, she fills you in with more details. A (very) rough map is provided, highlighting a several square mile area she understands her husband, Douven Staul, to have been working in. Because she fears time is against her, she informs you that a few other freelancers have been/will be hired to assist in the search of such a large area. She will arrange lodgings for this evening at an inn on the south edge of the city, along with the other mercenaries hired. You will all head out the next morning. She explains that you will receive 50 gold pieces now and, for those mercs who return, twice that amount when her husband is returned. She also produces a contract you must sign before she pays you your 50gp and puts you up for the night.

A history check, DC 15, was rolled for you regarding the contract:

Faelean, Kholar, Nadarr:
A job’s a job. It’s no use fretting over the details.

Bjorn, Lodek, Myrmidon:
You’ve heard of how seriously contracts are taken in this city. Should you fail to live up to your end of the bargain (Finding and returning Douven), it might be wise to never return to this city.

Later, arriving at the inn, you finally meet who you’ll be working with.

Please have your characters meet and interact for the first time. When you’re ready, we’ll start the next morning when you head off in search of Douven Staul.

Hashmir
2011-12-29, 12:48 AM
Nadarr, Dragonborn Warlord
Arms crossed, Nadarr looked approvingly at the inn. It had been some time since he had last felt this good about a job. Not much time, admittedly - in fact, Nadarr took to most jobs with a sort of bounding, boyish enthusiasm. Mrs. Staul could have offered half the coin and no lodging, and he would still have ended up leading the charge, in all likelihood.

Wearing a trademark smile - no small feat for a dragonborn - Nadarr burst into the inn.

"Aha! A fine group the lady has gathered, for a fine cause! What wife should be without her husband, eh? And a scholar, at that! Come, my friends, tell me your names!"

Daftendirekt
2011-12-29, 02:01 AM
Myrmidon, Wild Elf Barbarian

Myrmidon stands in a corner, arms crossed and looking extremely uncomfortable. The city was simply not the right place for her; she'd been here only a few days and had no money, and learned quickly that you need money to live in such a place -- unnatural.

She scratches at one thigh with a foot clad in rough knee-high leather boots and shifts the harness holding her massive sword to her back, scowling at the large dragon-man.

"You're too happy," the rough-looking elf mutters, scuffing her feet on the floor in impatience.

rpgZenMaster
2011-12-29, 03:12 PM
Looking somewhat bored but not quite grumpy, Kholar smiles at the elf's comment. Out of his mouth comes a throaty voice, almost a growl.

Too happy.. hah! We should all be so cursed.

Looking like a bugbear trying to impersonate a gentleman, the bearded and heavily scarred human stands up from his chair and bows slightly.

Kholar. Let's just say I'm a wizard. I do jobs. I don't like being asked a lot of questions but I have no ulterior motives beyond the job at hand. I'm ready to move out when you are.

bahamut19
2011-12-29, 04:36 PM
Faelean - Eladrin Wizard
---------------------------------------------------------------

Faelean watched the arrival of the Dragonborn with amusement. Even after two years away from the Feywild, he was still not quite used to how different the inhabitants of the world were compared to those from his homeland.

Turning to the Dragonborn, Faelean pushed his hair out of his face and smiled.

"My name is Faelean. It is a pleasure to meet you... sorry, what did you say your name was?"

angille
2011-12-29, 05:30 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Hurrying along through the southern part of town, Lodek glances at the sky. One part of himself curses his tardiness, another knows that the storm arrives without warning and without apology.

Bursting through the door and not quite crashing through a dragonborn almost as big as him, Lodek blinks as his eyes adjust to the light in the inn.

Storm and sword! Did that woman have a checklist when she was looking for mercs? It looks like every race in River Watch is represented.

Apologizing quietly to the dragonborn, Lodek bumps and crashes his way to an empty bench.

Ha there. Ah'm Lodek. Of the Hangin' Stone clan. Ah'm sorry, Miss, I think I interrupted yer?

He gestures for the eladrin to continue.

Creed
2011-12-29, 07:58 PM
Bjorn

50 gold is a fair amount of coin, and buys a large supply of booze.
But a dwarf is prone to drink through this alcohol at an alarming rate.
The dwarf and his large shield turn from the bar to the other mercs.
They call me Bjorn! Bjorn Hammerblast, lad. Bjorn's the name, hackin's the game. And bashin'. And smashin'. And drinkin'! Don't forget the drinkin'!
The dwarf quaffs a flagon of mead and, his red beard bristling with foam, he lets out a roar of a laugh.

Hashmir
2011-12-29, 09:20 PM
Nadarr let out a tremendous laugh.

"Ha! But of course! Please, call me Nadarr."

As a goliath stumbled past him, Nadarr managed to clap a hand on his shoulder, despite being a foot shorter.

"Don't drink too fast, my friend, or you might not make it to your room!"

Going back to surveying the room, Nadarr nodded.

"Yes, I think this group will do fine. Come, let us drink before the adventure begins!"

With that, he walked over to the bar and sat next to Bjorn.

If anyone else has things to say/do, Nadarr will respond. Otherwise, he's happy to get to know each other better on the road.

bahamut19
2011-12-30, 05:55 AM
Faelean let out a soft laugh - he got this a lot outside of his home world. He was not unaware of his effeminate appearance and mannerisms. He just didn't care enough to hide them.

"Lodek, in the interest of clearing up any misunderstandings before we adventure together... contrary to how I may appear to you, I am male."

angille
2011-12-30, 11:19 AM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Lodek blinks at the eladrin a couple times, then looks down into the ale the serving wench just slid in front of him, then back at the eladrin, with a sidelong glance at the elf.

Well'n, that as may be, yer still better watch out fer them orcs and bugbears. They's more likely to pick yer out fer sport than that burly-lookin' elfmaid there.

Lodek drains half his ale, then raises it towards the dragonborn.

Friend Nadarr, Ah ain't had anythin' yet what compares ter mah clan's uisge. If'n these city buildins had 'nough room fer a man ter walk 'round, Ah'd seem a little less drunk and a touch more fearsome. Ah tell yer what!

Luck
2011-12-30, 08:45 PM
You all rest peacefully over the course of the evening, thankful you didn’t have to sleep on the streets.
Early the next morning, you’re awakened by a carriage driver. He explains that he’s here doing a favor for Margyn, and that he’ll take you as far as the King’s Road goes.

The maps you were given have you traveling south along the King’s Road and beyond, onto the Old King’s Road. From there, it is a couple of days walk to the area of interest. There seems to be a settlement marked on your maps nearby, but the map is very crude and the details lacking.

You’re dropped off in the early afternoon at the end of the King’s Road, just beyond a small farming village. It’s quite stark how the road changes from a cobblestone laid road into a dirt one, obviously lacking in upkeep. Though you can see cobblestones peeking through the troughs in the dirt made by wagons, this road has, obviously, long been neglected.

The old road passes through a lot of dense, lush forest area. It’s easy to admire nature as you travel, and you wonder why such a lovely road would go abandoned as this one has.

It’s after 3 days of peaceful travel that Bjorn first notices a structure peeking above the forest (Perhaps because he’s so short and accustomed to looking upwards :smallbiggrin:). Just as you all stop to look, chirps and barks are heard from not too far ahead followed immediately by several small creatures darting across the road before you. They’re small reptilian humanoids, carrying sharpened sticks, and are looking at you quite threateningly.

Battle!

This should be an easy fight for you guys. (I hope)

There is no surprise round, but you do not have your weapons at the ready and will need to draw them as a minor action.

Map:

The Map (docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsteV6nnoCf_dHpnTy1kb1dfNFlzOUloM2F2X0NrN UE)

Legend:

Grey: Boulder
Light Grey: Headstones of roadside graves
Light Green: Grass
Khaki color: Dirt Road
Dark Green: Shrubs/Trees
Charcoal: Rock Outcropping

Terrain and Zones:

Boulder: 5 feet high. Prevents line of sight if behind it. Climbing onto it requires a DC 15 Athletics check and costs 4 squares of movement. Once on top, boulder spaces act as difficult terrain.
Headstones: Anyone in these spaces has cover.
Dirt Road: Open Terrain
Grass: Open Terrain
Shrubs/Trees: Provide cover for those attacking from or into the area. It also acts as difficult terrain.
Rock Outcropping: Consider this an impassable wall.

Initiative:

Myrmidon: 22
Nadarr: 20
Kholer: 19
Lodek: 17

Kobolds: 11

Faelean: 9
Bjorn: 7

Other Notes: Marching order hadn't been established, so I just put the tanks up front and the ranged attackers in back.

Also, there is a chat function on the map. It's an easy way to discuss tactics without cluttering the OOC thread.

Hashmir
2011-12-30, 09:57 PM
Nadarr, Inspiring Warlord
Nadarr raised his halberd high, letting out a roar.

"To battle, my friends!"

Barreling through the rest of the party, he ran and stumbled his way through the roadside shrubbery and came face-to-face with two of the offending kobolds. Arms stretched behind him, he spat a swirling cone of ice at them.

Minor: Draw halberd.

Move: H13 to D15, crossing one square of difficult terrain.

Minor: Dragon Breath (Cold)
Attack #2 (STR+2 vs REF) - [roll0]
Damage #2 (1d6+CON) - [roll1]
Attack #3 (STR+2 vs REF) - [roll2]
Damage #3 (1d6+CON) - [roll3]

Daftendirekt
2011-12-30, 10:10 PM
Myrmidon tenses as she sees the small draconic figures emerge, and grips the hide-wrapped hilt of her sword over her shoulder. She watches a moment as Nadarr makes his way to one side, and charges the other way herself, drawing her sword and gripping it tight in both hands as she bursts forth, legs churning a battle rhythm as she charges, a bellow of blood thirst echoing from her throat.

Minor to draw fullblade. Standard to Charge from G13 to J15.

Howling Strike vs. Kobold #1.
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]+4 = 12 total damage
Standard Action | Melee weapon
Keywords: Primal, Weapon
Target: One creature
Requirement: You must be wielding a melee weapon in two hands.
Attack: 7 vs. AC
Hit: 1d12+1d6+4 damage.
Special: When charging, you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack. If you are raging, you can move 2 extra squares as part of the charge.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-30, 10:27 PM
Reveling in the spray of blood that issues forth from the first small reptilian creature, the savage elf turns and bolts towards the next one she spots, using a foot up on a nearby boulder to power her jump through the air, bringing her blade -- already dripping with the ichor and blood of a kill -- down towards her newest victim.

Killing Kobold #1 triggers Myrmidon's Swift Charge power.

Swift Charge
Free Action Personal
Keywords: Primal
Trigger: Your attack reduces an enemy to 0 hit points.
Effect: You charge an enemy.

Thus, Myrmidon charges from J15 to F21 and uses Howling Strike again.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]+4 = 17 total damage

Luck
2011-12-30, 10:58 PM
Surprised by the dragonborn bursting through the bushes, the poor kobold is unable to react quickly enough. It feebly attempts to block the wave of frost with his stick. It doesn't turn out too well as he's left standing as a frozen statue. The kobold behind him, however, was lucky enough that his friend's body blocked the torrent from freezing his as well.

With legs like a rabbit, the barbarian easily springs across the field before the kobolds can even react. Bringing down such a heavy blade upon them, their meager weapons are of no protection.

Kobolds #2, 1, and 5 are dead

Upside down kobolds are corpses. They act as difficult terrain.

There is no surprise round, but you do not have your weapons at the ready and will need to draw them as a minor action.

Map:

The Map (docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsteV6nnoCf_dHpnTy1kb1dfNFlzOUloM2F2X0NrN UE)

Legend:

Terrain and Zones:

Boulder: 5 feet high. Prevents line of sight if behind it. Climbing onto it requires a DC 15 Athletics check and costs 4 squares of movement. Once on top, boulder spaces act as difficult terrain.
Shrubs/Trees: Provide cover for those attacking from or into the area. It also acts as difficult terrain.

Initiative:

Other Notes: Marching order hadn't been established, so I just put the tanks up front and the ranged attackers in back.

Also, there is a chat function on the map. It's an easy way to discuss tactics without cluttering the OOC thread.

angille
2011-12-30, 11:05 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Watching his new comrades decimate the little lizard things with high approval, Lodek strides forth after Nadarr slowly and purposefully, while pulling his enormous axe out of its clip. Glancing down at one frozen critter, he swings his axe down at the other retched creature as a crackle of lightning travels along his skin patterns.

Bear with me as I learn about forum dice rolls...

Minor: Draw greataxe.
Move: H-14 to C-17
Standard: Valiant Strike vs Kobold 3
Attack: +7 vs AC - [roll0]
Hit: 1d12 + 4 damage - [roll1]

rpgZenMaster
2011-12-31, 02:41 AM
Having spent so much time with slow, dumb ogres in his past, Kholar is also shocked by the speed and reflexes of the other team members .. but he is quickly reawakened as the blood starts to stain the foliage.

Charging quick on the heels of Nadaar and Lodek, what appear to be rippling tendrils of blood blast out of Kholar's wrists. Aimed at the Kobold, even the first few drops of blood cause the lizard creature's skin to burn like acid.

Move to B17
Minor to Curse Kobold 3
Standard to Eldritch Blast Kobold 3
Attack: Con [roll0] versus Reflex
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2](Curse)

Luck
2011-12-31, 03:37 AM
The kobold nearest Lodek must be a wily one, because he’s managed to dodge 3 separate attacks against it thus far. It decides to retaliate against the goliath by taking a jab with his crude spear. Unfortunately, his vengeance is unfulfilled. The other kobold nearby also takes aim at Lodek, as he comes screeching around from the opposite side of the rock to charge at him and manages to bury the pointed stick deep into Lodek’s leg.

Another of the creatures, armed with a sling, steps out from behind the trees. He loads his weapon with a ceramic globe he plucks from a bandolier he wears. Flinging it at the uncouth elf, it explodes on impact, covering her with a very sticky tree sap. He makes some yapping noises and then slinks back behind the boulder.

Seeming to respond to the call, more creatures come out of hiding to attack. Two more kobolds, these one much better armed, with metal swords and scaled shields, come out from behind the other boulder. They both charge at the immobilized barbarian. Despite her inability to move from harms way, only one of the creatures manages to strike true. And, a rather large lizard, about 3 feet long barrels forth from the foliage to chomp on the unsuspecting eladrin.

Kobold #3 misses, Kobold #4 hits. Lodek takes 4 regular damage.

Myrmidon is hit by the sling bullet and shielded kobold #2. She takes 13 damage, is immobilized (save ends), and is marked by shield kobold #2 until the end of its next turn.

Faelean is bitten by the drake and takes 13 regular damage

Map:

Legend:

Terrain and Zones:

Initiative:

Other Notes:Upside down kobolds are corpses. They act as difficult terrain.

bahamut19
2011-12-31, 12:46 PM
Faelean stumbled, shocked that he hadn't seen the giant lizard. It occurred to him, not for the first time, that it was quite strange to love nature when it was constantly trying new and original ways to kill him. This time, he thought grimly, it might just succeed...

He knew that he wouldn't last long in this battle unless he got some distance between himself and his enemy. Outwardly, it might look like cowardice, but the truth was that Faelean was all too aware that he was no use to anyone dead.

Raising his hand towards the sky, Faelean whispered select words of power, eyes watching the lizard closely. Suddenly, he lowered his hand, feeling a pulse of pure energy surge through his body into the ground. The power then, emanating from the ground beneath him, dispersed with a powerful crack in the area in front of him.

Without waiting to see what effect the spell had on the lizard, Faelean turned and ran in the opposite direction, stopping when he felt he was at a much better vantage point to view the ongoing battle. Bracing himself for another attack, he started to decide his next move.

Thunderwave

Target: 3x3 grid bordered by 9G and 11I

[Intelligence modifier = +4]
Attack Roll - 1d20 +4 = [roll0]
Damage - 1d6 + 4 = [roll1]
Special: target pushed number of squares equal to WIS modifier (+1)

Move to 16I

Luck
2012-01-01, 05:04 PM
Bjorn draws his weapon, moves up to the lizard, and swings his axe toward it.

minor: draw axe
Move: from G14 to H12
attack: strength of stone [roll0] vs AC
damage: [roll1]

Hashmir
2012-01-01, 06:20 PM
Looking to his side, Nadarr saw the great lizard land a vicious bite on Faelean, before the wizard managed to stumble away. At the same time, he heard a great deal of noise from the location of the elf who had charged around the next boulder. Never one to let another fight alone, Nadarr sprinted around the rocks, shouting to Faelean as he went.

"Never fear, my friend! Today, you fight with Nadarr!"

Rounding the bend, he saw the kobolds circling the immobilized barbarian, and swung his halberd low at the nearest.

"Look at me, you fiend!"

Minor: Inspiring Word targeting Faelean - he can spend a healing surge and regain an additional [roll0] HP

Move: Walk 5 squares to G18

Standard: Guarding Attack against #2

Attack - [roll1] vs AC
Damage - [roll2]
On Hit - Myrmidon gains +4 AC vs #2 until the end of my next turn

angille
2012-01-01, 06:54 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

"Bah the strength o' Kord, break your bonds!" Lodek bellows in the general direction of Myrmidon, as he stares down the kobold who stabbed his leg. The little creature hears a thunderclap in the distance and knows today is his judgement day.

Lodek raises his axe again, high above the wily creature who evaded him mere seconds ago, and arcs it down with great fury!

Minor: Divine Mettle on Myrmidon - she makes a save with a bonus equal to Lodek's Cha mod (0) - [roll0]
Minor: Divine Challenge on Kobold 4 - marked, takes 7 radiant damage when making an attack against an ally that doesn't include Lodek
Standard: Valiant Strike on Kobold 3
Attack: +8 vs AC - [roll1]
Hit: 1d12 + 4 damage - [roll2]

Daftendirekt
2012-01-02, 01:11 AM
Feeling sudden and unexplained inspiration, Myrmidon quickly tears the sticky substance away from her legs and takes a step towards the kobold that is threatening her. Raising her blade high above her head, she brings it rocketing down, spinning around quickly for another swing.

Standard action: Avalanche Strike vs. Kobold #2
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Standard Action Melee weapon
Keywords: Primal, Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: 7 vs. AC
Hit: 3d12+6 damage.
Effect: Until the start of your next turn, any attacker gains a +4 bonus to attack rolls against you.

Action Point to use Howling Strike. If #2 is still alive this also targets it. If it drops, this targets #1:

[roll2] [roll3][roll4]

Daftendirekt
2012-01-02, 01:13 AM
Using Elven Accuracy to reroll Avalanche Strike

[roll0]

rpgZenMaster
2012-01-02, 08:06 PM
Irritated the little lizard's apparent quickness, Kholar lets out a growl and again fires a burst of blood at the thing.

Kholar: HP 30, AC/F/R/W - 14/16/15/15

Minor: Curse Kobold #4

Eldritch Blast -
Attack: [roll0] vs Ref
Hit: [roll1] + Curse [roll2]

Luck
2012-01-02, 10:46 PM
Unfortunately, Faelean’s attack on the drake had no effect. And the drake took advantage of Faelean’s hastened retreat by taking another snap at him while his defense was down.

The 2nd shielded kobold wasn’t prepared to fight on two fronts. With his attention on Myrmidon, Nadarr gets an easy blow in. Then his attention shifting to Nadarr, Myrmidon easily cleaves him as well.

Both Lodek and Kholar keep pressing on the same enemy. Finally, fifth time lucky, Kholar is able to strike down the slippery kobold.

Seeing that if even Ol’ Lucky can be brought down, then he must not stand a chance, the pitiful kobold jumps back, throws his stick and runs into the bushes.

The Kobold with a sling offers him some backup in the form of another small ceramic sphere. This time hurled at the goliath. It breaks open on his chest and covers him in a slick liquid that ignites upon exposure.

The shielded kobold takes an avenging strike against the elf, and connects. Then, he too, retreats to near an ally.

The drake moves around the dwarf into a slightly better position and snaps at him, only to be rebuffed.

Opportunity attack by drake against Faelean: Hit, for 4 damage.

Kobold #3 and shield kobold #2 die.

Kobold 4 shifts to C19, throws his spear at Lodek, and misses, then walks to C24

Kobold with a sling fires at Lodek, and hit for 6 plus ongoing fire, then walks to C25

Shield Kobold attacks Myrmidon, and hits for 6 damage plus marks her, shifts to H20, then walks to I14. He triggers an opportunity attack from Faelean. Faelean misses.

The drake shifts to G12 and attacks Bjorn. The drake misses.

Map:

Legend:

Terrain and Zones:

Initiative:

Other Notes:Upside down kobolds are corpses. They act as difficult terrain.

Luck
2012-01-04, 06:13 PM
Faelean fires a Magic Missile at the kobold near him. It yelps in pain as the magical force batters him.

Bjorn brings his axe down on the drakes head, but it nimbly evades.

Initiative:

Hashmir
2012-01-04, 07:00 PM
Impressed with the ferocity of the small elf, Nadarr let out a barking laugh.

"Ha! Excellent work!"

With his help needed elsewhere, Nadarr wheeled around and moved to Faelean's side, jabbing his halberd at the nearby kobold.

"Let us end this!"

Minor: Inspiring Word - Myrmidon can spend a healing surge and gain an extra [roll0] hit points

Move: G18 to H16

Standard: Furious Smash vs shield kobold #1

[roll1] vs Fort
Damage - 4
On Hit: Faelean gains +2 on next Attack and Damage rolls vs kobold #1 before the end of his next turn

Daftendirekt
2012-01-05, 12:28 AM
Feeling emboldened by the turn of the battle in their favor, Myrmidon turns from the corpses of the kobolds around her and looks at the large lizard that stands further up the road. Skirting the small reptilian bodies, she pounces forward, bloody sword raised high as she roars in a blood frenzy.

Move: From F21 to G19

Standard: Charge to G13 and use Howling Strike.

[roll0] vs. AC
[roll1][roll2]

rpgZenMaster
2012-01-05, 02:13 AM
Kholar spies the Kobolds running. Seeing that the battle is well in hand thanks to his colleagues, he grunts and gives chase. With a growl, Kholar allows another vicious eruption to burst from his hands towards the Kobolds.

Move to C22
Minor to Curse Kobold #4
Eldritch Blast -
Attack: [roll0] vs Ref
Hit: [roll1] + Curse [roll2]

angille
2012-01-05, 10:40 AM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Glancing down at the spreading flames, Lodek smiles a crooked smile. His lithoderms sparkle briefly like diamonds and his skin looks a little... harder. His eyes follow the gruff human towards the underbrush, and spotting the little creatures hiding inside, gives chase.

Lumbering over, Lodek again raises his axe high. Thinking better of it, he lowers it for a sweeping swing. "Kord-damn shifty little bastards!" he mutters as he strikes!

Start of turn: take 5 fire damage - Lodek is now bloodied
Minor: Stone's Endurance: Gain resist 5 all UENT.
Move: to D-20
Standard: Charge Slinger

Attack: +5 vs AC (+6 MBA, +1 charge, -2 cover) - [roll0]
Hit: 1d12+4 damage - [roll1]
End of turn: save vs ongoing damage - [roll2]

Notes:
Kobold 4 still under Challenge, as I moved adjacent this turn
Kobold 4 gets an OA - not all that worried with Stone's Endurance
Not that it changes anything, but Kholar probably had the same adjustments (+1 Prime Shot instead of Charge, and -2 cover) and I assume he's got partial concealment and 3 THP (someone might've played a warlock before)

Luck
2012-01-05, 02:09 PM
After so many misses in a row from our heroes’ side, Lodek manages a solid blow.

The Shield Kobold makes some quick hops and manages to position himself behind the elf. He attacks in unison with the lizard, resulting in a brutal onslaught that leaves Myrmidon barely able to stand.

The slinger runs for it, and takes a hard hit from Lodek as punishment. He removes the last globe from his bandolier and takes aim at Kholer. The sphere bursts open against the human, immolating him too.

The normal kobold is ineffective against Lodek.

Shield kobold shifts from I14 to G14 and attacks Myrmidon. He hits for 7 and marks her again.

The drake attacks Myrmidon, and hits, for 16.

The slinger moves and shifts to A20, taking an opportunity attack of 8 along the way. He attacks Kholar for 8 plus 5 ongoing fire damage.

The normal kobold shifts to C23 and misses Lodek.

Map:

Legend:

Terrain and Zones:

Dead Kobolds: Difficult Terrain

Initiative:

Other Notes: None

bahamut19
2012-01-06, 09:49 AM
Faelean watched in horror as Myrmidon was attacked from both sides. He had to help her, but it would take more than a simple magic missile to bring either of these two down. Better to kill the weaker one than to wound the drake and leave both standing...

Wishing he'd prepared his sleep spell, Faelean raised his hand at the shielded Kobold, releasing a ball of energy hurtling towards it. He just hoped this would be enough...

Encounter Power: Force Orb

To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

There are no adjacent enemies, so no secondary attack
(I'm assuming that since the secondary attack specifies "enemies", Myrmidon is unaffected - otherwise, Faelean uses Magic Missile).

Luck
2012-01-07, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately, the wizard's aim is askew and the mighty orb of force goes flying right past the kobold.

Bjorn moves into position to flank, and attacks. He hits.

Though the drake is not bloodied, it is definitely feeling some intense pain from its wounds right now.

Initiative:

Hashmir
2012-01-07, 02:03 PM
"Get. Off. Her!"

With a roar, Nadarr sprang back and leapt halberd-first into the kobold harassing Myrmidon, swinging his weapon wildly and giving the barbarian time to duck behind him.

Move: H16 to H13 by way of I14 (to avoid AoO)

Standard: Wolf Pack Tactics vs kobold #1

Special: Myrmidon shifts to H14
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

(Action Point) Standard: Wolf Pack Tactics vs kobold #1 (if #1 is dead, then vs drake)

Special: Myrmidon shifts to I14
[roll2] vs AC
[roll3]

Daftendirekt
2012-01-07, 02:23 PM
Myrmidon holds her blade up in a defensive position, and allows herself a moment's respite as Nadarr distracts her assailants.

Second Wind to heal 7. +2 to all defenses until the start of my next turn.

Shift to I13

Luck
2012-01-09, 02:02 PM
Kholar takes a step back and glares at the stick wielding kobold. It clutches its head and slumps onto the ground.

He successfully saves vs. being on fire, as well.

angille
2012-01-09, 03:00 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

A little miffed that his last blow did not fell the creature scampering away, Lodek frowns. Then grim determination creeps into his massive features, as he says a prayer to Kord.

High-stepping over the thing Kholar just dropped, Lodek grunts as he swings his axe (yet again) at the wily little fire-slinging kobold.

Start of Turn: take 5-5 (0) fire damage
Minor: Lay on Hands, on Lodek (heal 7)
Minor: Challenge slinger (just in case...)
Standard: Charge slinger

Attack: +7 vs AC - [roll0]
Hit: 1d12 + 4 damage - [roll1]
End of Turn: save against ongoing fire damage - [roll2]

Luck
2012-01-09, 03:31 PM
Kholar and Lodek manage to clean up the last of the foes on their end of the battlefield.

Meanwhile, on the other side, the last kobold chirps as he hops out of reach them back into it again. Though this time with Nadarr sandwiched between it and the drake.. Both of them attack the dragonborn. Skillfully though, Nadarr fends off the drake and only takes a minor blow from the kobold.

Kobold shifts and moves from G14 to I14. It attacks Nadarr, and hit for 4 damage and leaves Nadarr marked.

The drake bites at Nadarr and misses.

Initiative:

bahamut19
2012-01-09, 04:49 PM
Faelean - Eladrin Wizard

Faelean sends a magic missile at the kobold, before taking a few steps back to put some distance between them.

At Will Power: Magic Missile

Move: I16 to I22

Creed
2012-01-09, 09:57 PM
Bjorn

Hey! You! Come 'ere you sniveling snake! I'll make me a pair of boots of ye' hide, mongrel! I'll roast ya and have ya with a mug of mead once I'm done hackin' ya'!
The angry dwarf launches himself at the drake, hacking away at it furiously.

Mark the Drake with Nature's Wrath
Attack with Strength of Stone

Gain 4 Temporary HP

Daftendirekt
2012-01-09, 10:23 PM
The savage, frenzied elf renews her attack after her moment of respite, swinging her bloody blade in a vicious arc at the small reptilian creature in front of it. Saliva flies from her mouth as she snarls at it, her feet are planted firmly on the ground, and her eyes are full of anger.

Standard Action: Howling Strike [roll0] vs. Shield Kobold 1 for [roll1][roll2] damage.

Hashmir
2012-01-10, 03:24 PM
Distracted by the bouncing kobold, Nadarr spun around and swung his halberd low, hoping to catch the creature across the belly.

Standard: Wolf Pack Tactics

[roll0]
[roll1]
(This is really just a basic attack; Myr can move to H12 or H14 if she wants to for some reason.)

Luck
2012-01-11, 09:37 PM
Nadarr finished off the troublesome kobold with his low swing.

Kholar moves into position for a clear shot at the lizard. He fires an Eldritch Blast that hits it square on.

Initiative:
Kholar: 19

angille
2012-01-12, 01:09 AM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Looking around at all the fallen kobolds, but still hearing sounds of battle to the north, Lodek braces himself and crashes through the underbrush. Sensing an opening in the drake's defenses, he attempts to crush it between his axe and the loudmouthed dwarf!

Ah didn't miss the whole shindig, did Ah?

Move: to D-16
Charge: to G-13

Attack: +6 (MBA) +1 (charge) +2 (CA from flank) vs AC - [roll0]
Hit: [roll1] damage
Free: ponder a charging At-will for 2nd level retraining

Luck
2012-01-12, 01:25 AM
Lodek's senses must be faulty if he thinks bringing his axe against the dirt road is an opening in the drake's defenses.

Regarding the goliath as a non-threat for the moment, the drake continues its attacks against the dragonborn, the one responsible for felling the last of its masters. Its bite is quick and vicious as it rips into Nadarr's scales.

The drake attacks Nadarr, and hits for 10 damage.

I'm going to call this battle at the end of this round. Hopefully, Faelean or Bjorn can deal the killing blow before then.

Initiative:

bahamut19
2012-01-13, 01:05 PM
Faelean - Eladrin Wizard

Encouraged by the death of the last kobold, Faelean fired a magic missile towards the drake.

To Hit: [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Luck
2012-01-13, 02:12 PM
And with that, the wizard slays the last of the aggressors. The pleasant road is now stained with blood and small corpses dot the landscape. It is midday, and the structure that caught your eye before, still stands above the canopy. Now that you have time to breathe, it looks to be just a simple stone tower with a sloped roof.

What do you do?

Hashmir
2012-01-13, 03:25 PM
After checking behind the boulders for any more wily ambushers, Nadarr planted his halberd in the ground and surveyed the field.

"Fine work, my friends! And you, elf - I like your style. Hit them hard and fast. Probably don't even need the rest of us!"

Nadarr laughed, a bit of condensation forming in the air before his mouth.

Presumably, we take this time for a five-minute Short Rest. If anyone wants to check the bodies for useful stuff, go for it. It's just not really Nadarr's thing.

Daftendirekt
2012-01-13, 03:31 PM
Myrmidon plants the tip of her sword's blade in the ground, leaning heavily upon it and breathing hard, one hand on a gash in her side.

"Help is appreciated, for once..." she says with a wince. "Never seen a big lizard like that before."

angille
2012-01-13, 04:17 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

"Never seen a big lizard like that before."

"Ah ain't neither. 'Less yer count this guy!" Lodek exclaims as he slaps Nadarr on the back. He steps over to the nearest boulder and leans against it, pulling a rag from his pack. After wiping the soot from his armor, Lodek starts methodically cleaning his axe.

"Dunno what these little lizards were thinkin', tryin' to take out-" Lodek stops briefly, does a head count, and continues. "-six mercs who're armed ter the teeth. Ah reckon we otter clean up, or worse might happen ter the next group of fellers."

Assuming the short rest, same as Hashmir - Lodek spends a surge to be at 28HP, and regains encounter powers.

Hashmir
2012-01-13, 11:11 PM
Nadarr looked up at the tower. He spoke slightly softer than usual, though his heavy consonants were clearly audible.

"It is strange, is it not? Perhaps they felt they were forced to."

Raising his voice, he banged the ground with his polearm for emphasis.

"It can be no coincidence that this tower is only now visible. Let us make for it shortly!"

Spending 1 healing surge to return to 20/26 HP.

Luck
2012-01-15, 12:05 AM
Continuing along the road, the forest soon breaks. The rutted Old King’s Road leads to the foot of a broad hill that holds a walled village, likely the very one that was marked on your maps. The village is nestled in the southern foothills of the Cairngorm Peaks. The walls are weathered stone topped by defensive palisades.
Small thatched homes stand around the town, each fronting a small piece of farmland or pasture. Beyond the farms to the west and south lie dark woods, and to the east, tall mountain peaks.
The tower you seek seems to be near the center of the town and juts high above the outer walls, to be seen from quite a distance away.

The gates to the town stand ajar and two guards are stationed outside of it. As you approach, they greet you, “Welcome travelers to the town of Winterhaven. You may find lodging just within, at Wrafton’s Inn. Market Day is the day after next, though you may still find some business in the market square tomorrow as well. Please enjoy your stay.”

Here's a layout of the town, sorry if it's a bit small. (http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H61SGLxJyjo/TxJZ1-5T3NI/AAAAAAAAAUA/H9cj8B92i9w/s576/winterhaven.png) Pretend the road leads to the north, not the south. (Because you came from the north.) The Inn is #2 and the tower is #6.

Daftendirekt
2012-01-15, 12:13 AM
The wild-looking elf looks around suspiciously at all the townsfolk as they move down the main thoroughfare. She wrinkles her nose at all the strange smells wafting from the market, and stays close to her party members -- strange as well they may be, at least they were semi-familiar. Her hand strays to her sword hilt occasionally.

Hashmir
2012-01-15, 12:27 AM
Before moving through, Nadarr walked closer to one of the guards.

"My friend, you seem to have a problem with kobolds. We were attacked not far down the road."

Luck
2012-01-15, 12:38 AM
The two guards exchange glances with one another. One of them then regretfully replies, "Yes, we do have a kobold problem."

angille
2012-01-15, 02:17 AM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

"Boy, Ah tell yer what! This little lady -" Lodek's huge palm urges Myrmidon forward. "- done took out three o' them critters lickity split! We's in the area on other business, but don' yer worry none 'bout sendin' guards with us or nothin'."

He raps his knuckles on the stone wall. "Them little things ain't gonna get through this though." Lodek's eyes settle on the farms and homesteads outside of the walls. "Oh."

Hashmir
2012-01-15, 12:13 PM
Frowning, Nadarr rubbed his chin.

"Hmph. I have no love for brigands. Tell me, how long has this been going on?"

Skill check, if it's relevant.
[roll0]

Luck
2012-01-15, 12:36 PM
The guard is uneasy to reveal more, but does so anyhow, "We’ve always had a few in the area, but they’ve really been growing more bold in recent months. Our militia is only ten strong. We keep the town secure, but don't have the resources to move beyond it. I've heard some of the outlying farms have had livestock go missing, probably because of them, too." Both guards appear depressed and defeated with this news being made public. It's obviously not something to be proud about.

bahamut19
2012-01-15, 04:49 PM
Faelean - Eladrin Wizard

Faelean stood, running his fingers through his hair, trying to decide which question to ask first. He decided that the Kobolds were the more pressing problem at hand, although giant lizard interested him far more.

"You say that there have always been a few kobolds around the area. Where do they usually attack from, and more importantly do the increased numbers you've been experiencing come from the same places?"

He stepped forward eagerly with a gleam in his eye, getting caught up in the excitement. Unable to stop words from pouring off his tongue in a rush, he went on.

"And what about lizards? It might just be a coincidence but... well, it would be fascinating if it wasn't - I've never seen a creature like that. It would be quite something if they were working together someh..

..Sorry, I apologise for my enthusiasm. It must seem insensitive considering what a town such as yours must suffer through with kobold attacks. But it is interesting."

He took a breath, rephrasing the question.

"When we were attacked by kobolds they had a giant lizard with them - have you ever heard anything like that?"

Luck
2012-01-15, 05:46 PM
Perhaps overwhelmed by the barrage of questions, the guards simply shake their heads.

There's likely more knowledgeable persons than a simple gate guard in this town.

Hashmir
2012-01-15, 11:15 PM
Taking pity on the poor guards, Nadarr nodded sagely and turned towards the entrance. On a hunch, he asked one last question.

"Say - what is that tower? We saw it from some distance."

Luck
2012-01-15, 11:43 PM
The guard responds frankly, "An old sage calls it home."

Hashmir
2012-01-15, 11:57 PM
After commanding the guards to ask him for a drink, should they happen to see him while off-duty, Nadarr eyed his companions.

"That tower sees much, and a sage even more, yes? I would speak with this man. Perhaps you will get to see entire books full of lizards!"

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-16, 06:41 PM
Kholar - Human Warlock

"I think we are forgetting that we risk our lives for gold and adventure, while these poor guards risk theirs only to keep their friends and families safe. It is their job to kill such monsters, true, but also their hope never to have to risk life and limb to do so." Nodding to the distant tower, Kholar continues. "Seeking a sage for answers seems like the wise thing to do. Though do not expect a straight answer from a sage. Theirs is a world of mystery and secret knowledge, most do not wish to share either willingly, and we cannot assume he will not outright lie to us for his own ends. I am not motivated in such ways, but I understand the ways of the world are not as disciplined as my own."

Daftendirekt
2012-01-16, 10:32 PM
Myrmidon nods her head begrudgingly, and speaks.

"The shaman of my tribe often spoke mysterious truths that saved all of us. Perhaps this sage is the same sort."

Creed
2012-01-17, 07:13 PM
Bjorn

The rowdy dwarf spits.
Never was one for trustin' soothsayers, but it can't hurt to give it a shot!

Luck
2012-01-17, 08:37 PM
You make your way to the tower to speak with the sage.

The tower is easily the tallest structure in the town, probably six stories tall. The stone it is constructed of is old and weathered. A sturdy wooden door on the south side is the only entrance. Small windows pierce the tower with irregular spacing. A small hole beside the door has a piece of rope coming out of it.

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-17, 09:20 PM
Kholar - Human Warlock

Kholar fingers the rope, hesitating to pull it. "Shouldn't he know we are coming? I mean, he has a commanding view of everything and all? Oh well, I bet oracles have doorbells too." He pulls the rope hard, hoping that it rings a bell rather than set off a trap. "I have a good feeling about this place. Nobody has tried to shoot, stab, bite, or burn me in a while."

Luck
2012-01-18, 01:22 AM
The rope offers some resistance when you pull it, and springs back when you let off of it. However, you don’t hear any signal or alarm from it. After several moments of waiting patiently, you look up to see an old man leaning out of the upper most window.

The man is bespectacled, with an untrimmed (though not unruly) grey beard, his grey hair frames his face, and he wears a simple frock. With a hint of annoyance in his tone, he calls down in a raspy, yet loud, voice, “Well? Why should I talk to you?”

Hashmir
2012-01-18, 02:09 AM
Nadarr chuckled. The man sounded as though he spent every waking minute being pestered by others. Perhaps he did, at that!

"Well met, my friend! We seek a scholar by the name of Staul, who has disappeared nearby. He has no fine tower, but he is sorely missed! With such a view as yours, perhaps you know something of this, yes?

"If gratitude does not sway you, of course, we can offer coin and service. What say you?"

[roll0]

Luck
2012-01-18, 01:02 PM
"Hmmm." he grumbles, before continuing, "I'm not about to conduct a conversation shouting down from a tower. Nor do I want to climb all the way down and then back up again just for the sake of you." He steps back, away from the window, and you can no longer see him.

angille
2012-01-18, 01:15 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

"So... what's that mean? Ah don't know whether ter barge in, walk away, or stand back waitin' fer summin' ter fall."

Lodek stares up at the vacant window, waiting for... he's not sure what.

Luck
2012-01-18, 02:19 PM
After waiting a few minutes and discussing what to do, the tower door flies open. The old sage step out and closes the door behind him. He pays you no heed as he walks past, towards the inn. Just before entering he stops and turns to you, “Well? I thought you wanted to talk.”

Hashmir
2012-01-18, 06:16 PM
The suddenness - and grumpiness - of the old man caused Nadarr to burst out laughing after a beat or two.

"To the inn, then! As they say, good drink makes good company!"

Luck
2012-01-19, 01:16 AM
It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the dimmer light of the inn. “Oh!” exclaims a female voice, “So, there are new faces in town after all, and friends of Valthrun no less. I’ll have dinner up in just a minute then.”

As things come into focus you’re able to place the voice to the human female behind the bar. Also in the inn you see a couple waitresses, and female elf sitting at the bar, and the old sage, Valthrun, now seated at a table and lighting a pipe. He motions with his finger for you to join him.

“Yes. I remember a man named Staul. He was very interested in a dragon burial site. There is a place to the south that has been associated with an ancient dragon, but I told him I have no first-hand knowledge of the truth of such legends.” A waitress comes by and puts piping bowls of stew in front of everyone. She begins to ask if anything else is needed, but Valthrun shushes and shoos her away before she has the chance. He continues to talk and begins eating. “Nonetheless, I directed him to the south. I haven’t seen him since.”

angille
2012-01-19, 07:55 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Lodek draws up a couple chairs and digs into the stew with gusto. Though he's listening carefully to every word the sage is saying, he knows he's not the shiniest sword on the rack. Unless directly asked, Lodek's generally going to keep the grilling to a minimum.

Hashmir
2012-01-19, 08:41 PM
"Ha! I said the learned sage would know, did I not?"

As he grabbed the bowl in one hand and downed it with a single tremendous gulp, he wrapped an arm around Faelean.

"My friend here also wanted to know if you had any pictures of big lizards!"

Daftendirekt
2012-01-20, 12:56 AM
Myrmidon scoops up one of the bowls off of the table and chows down with gusto, scraping every last bit of stew out of it before tossing the empty bowl back onto the table. That done, she leans up against the wall near the table, shifting her sword around so it isn't digging into her back, and tries to follow the strange conversation.

Luck
2012-01-20, 02:46 AM
Valthrun pauses mid bite and looks up at Nadarr. He squints his eyes slightly and stares at him a moment, stew dripping down his bearded chin. "What the hell are you talking about?!"

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-20, 11:14 AM
Kholar - Human Warlock

Kholar lets the rest of the group do the talking. He idly plays with a small spark of fire in the palm of his hand, concentrating to move it from finger to finger without singing himself.

bahamut19
2012-01-21, 06:43 AM
Faelean -Eladrin Wizard

Faelean had kept quiet until now, preferring to keep his tongue after his previous outburst. This time, he kept somewhat more control over his words.

"We were attacked by kobolds earlier. they had a giant lizard with them - we haven't seen anything like it. It may just be a coincidence, but it it's not... well, that's quite interesting isn't it? Do you know anything about the kobold attacks in the area that might explain this?"

Diplomacy roll if necessary:

[roll0]

Luck
2012-01-22, 01:58 AM
"Well, that does at least make more sense than "pictures of lizards". Kobolds have always been around this area, but I don't know anything about attacks involving them. I also don't know what kind of creature you may have seen. The nearest lizards of any notable size are found in the mountains, and they're somewhat uncommon. IF there was a giant lizard down here in the forest, that might be something worth investigating."

Hashmir
2012-01-22, 02:11 AM
"A fine beast it was, and no mistake. Big as a man, and took damn near all of us to take the creature down. But the kill belongs to this tiny fellow!"

Nadarr's grip on Faelean held fast, rocking the Eladrin back and forth as he spoke.

Daftendirekt
2012-01-22, 02:18 AM
Myrmidon finds it hard to concentrate on what the sage is saying with the extremely odd behavior of the elf and the dragon-man right in front of her. She crosses her arms and fixes her dirty face in a stern expression, though, and resolutely looks at the old man.

angille
2012-01-24, 09:24 AM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

The goliath's eyes move slowly back and forth between the swaying Nadarr/Faelean pair, the obviously uncomfortable Myrmidon, and the sage of stew.

"Aright, so's Ah'm not the shiniest apple on the tree, so lemme see if'n Ah got all this straight. Them lizards? Don't come outta them hills much. Them kobolds? Hurru... Harras... Botherin' the farmsfolk. Staul? Dragonny place ter the south."

He takes a deep breath as he sets his bowl down and addresses the party with a sweeping glance.

"We's got a contract, folks. Ah says we get directions ter this draggony place and do Mrs. Staul some good. If'n we come back an' them militia lack strength o' numbers but have strength of arms... Jus' maybe we do 'nother good turn." His eyes light up and his grin goes wide. "'Cause Ah do like splittin' them kobolds!"

Luck
2012-01-24, 10:27 PM
The old man furrows his brow as the goliath speaks, straining to understand. When the sound finally stops pouring from its mouth, Valthrun stands up from the table. He fishes his pipe out of his pocket and begins smoking it again. Looking everyone over one last time, he makes his way towards the exit. Stopping at the door he says, "For a sage I sure say "I don't know" a lot, but I'm going to say it again anyway. I don't know what you think you'll find here in Winterhaven, but if you find Douven, let me know. You know where to find me." And with that, he opens the door, blinding you with the light that pours into the dim inn, and vanishes.

You all sit in silence for a moment before being interrupted by the lady innkeeper. "I hope you enjoyed you meal! Can I get you folks anything else? A cool drink, a warm bed, a second helping?"

Daftendirekt
2012-01-25, 12:50 AM
"So... we're going south?"

Hashmir
2012-01-25, 01:27 AM
"A direction I have always favored!"

Standing up, he bowed to the innkeeper.

"I would have them all, but for the threat of daylight's passing. Hold them until night falls, and see them well received."

tigerusthegreat
2012-01-28, 12:24 AM
Kholar - Human Warlock

As soon as the sage leaves, Kholar starts as if waking from a deep sleep. Yawning, he turns to the others. "Sorry, think I fell asleep there...where are we going?"

bahamut19
2012-01-28, 11:48 AM
People were weird this side of the Feywild. Faelean liked the dragonborn, but felt distinctly uncomfortable being rocked back and forth like that, and was glad when he was let go.

"South, I think" he said, turning to Kholar. "It seems Staul was looking for a dragon burial site around that way."

Luck
2012-01-28, 01:27 PM
To the south certainly does fall within the search area provided on your maps. And so, you and the others hit the road once again. The Old King’s Road continues south and would undoubtedly be the fastest way to travel, considering the only alternative is to forge your own path through the thick forest.

You’ve been traveling for several miles on the worn road and the sun is now getting low on the horizon. Your journey brings you to an old, though quaint, covered bridge spanning a small river. The timbers creak under your weight, but there are no signs that it might give way. Admiring the view of the setting sun on the water, and thinking about setting camp for the evening, you’re caught off guard when war cries suddenly break the serene moment.

From the underbrush, several small figures dart from hiding places. They are similar to the creatures you fought earlier, but four of them carry longswords and shields, and two others are armed with spears.

Perhaps his connection to nature had something to do with it, or perhaps his large ears, but, only Faelean catches warning and is quick enough to react before the creatures move in to attack.

Battle 2:

The adventure dictated perception checks (DC 25) to spot the ambush. But, you are all naturally very unperceptive and could never hit this mark. So, I set it at DC 20 instead.

Faelean is the only one who made it. He can act during the first round.

I was thinking of doing a more traditional initiative this time around, but, it turned out all of the kobolds individually rolled initiative between 13 and 6, so, even with a standard initiative, they’ll all be acting together again. And, several of you rolled the same initiative, and can, of course, act in any order among yourselves. I just don’t want anyone getting confused on whose turn it is, trying to determine who has acted and who hasn’t. Input is welcome on how I should handle this.

Map:

The Map (docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsteV6nnoCf_dEYyalhIaVR1RmUtSV9wRm1BTHgzM EE)

Legend:

Grey: Rocky Shoreline
Brown: Covered Bridge
Dark Blue: Deep Water
Light Blue: Shallow Water

Terrain and Zones:

Rocky Shoreline: Acts as difficult terrain
Covered Bridge: Open Terrain
Shallow Water: Difficult Terrain
Deep Water: Difficult Terrain. An Athletics Check (DC 15) must be made when entered and at the beginning of each turn you start in deep water. Failure means your character has been swept away by the current and is pushed 3 squares to the left, or until other terrain is encountered. If pushing in this way would move your character onto shallow water or shoreline, it will leave your character in that space and prone.

Initiative:

Surprise:
Faelean
Kobolds

Myrmidon: 18
Bjorn: 18
Nadarr: 18
Faelean: 13

Kobolds: 12

Kholer: 4

Other Notes: There's no railings on the sides of the bridge.

bahamut19
2012-01-30, 06:31 PM
Faelean - Eladrin Wizard

Faelean was fortunate enough to be watching the nearby wildlife when he glimpsed movement behind a bush.

"Kobolds!" he cried to his companions, as he lifted his arm towards the nearest of them, sending a magic missile flying towards it.

Keeping his nerve, he glanced about the surrounding area, and his fears were immediately confirmed. "It seems they have us surrounded. Let us inform them of their mistake."

Magic missile on Kobold 4

To hit (-2 for cover included) [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Luck
2012-01-30, 07:19 PM
Faelean’s hastily thrown missile misses its intended target and lands on some obstructing foliage.

The kobolds charge in, engaging both sides of the bridge.

The brown kobold charges Kholar, catching him before he can react. A relatively light wound, but the aggressor takes advantage of the confusion and is able to dig his stone spearhead deeper into the human’s side.

Kobold #4 charges at the wizard who struck first. His longsword tears through the Eladrin’s robes, leaving a mark he won’t soon forget.

Kobold #3 charges the dwarf, while kobold #2 engages the goliath. Yet another kobold closes in, but is just too slow. Both Bjorn and Lodek are sliced by the disciplined strikes of these small cutthroats.

The last kobold, wearing a skull over its own, remains distant. But, with a wave of its spear, a sphere of energy shoots through the air, past Kholar and landing square in the back of Nadarr. It bursts on impact, leaving a painful burning in its wake.

Kholar takes 8 damage

Faelean takes 7 damage and is marked by kobold #4

Bjorn takes 6 damage and is marked by kobold #3

Lodek takes 6 damage and is marked by kobold #2

Nadarr takes 7 acid damage

Hashmir
2012-01-30, 08:02 PM
"A mistake they shall not have a chance to repeat!"

As Faelean bent double from the sword wound, Nadarr whirled about and swung his halberd just over the wizard's head at his attacker. Finishing the spin, he converted the momentum into a roll that brought him to Bjorn's side - where he let loose a blast of frozen air at the shielded kobolds.

Standard: Guarding Attack vs Kobold 4

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]
On hit: Faelean gains a +4 power bonus to AC vs Kobold 4 until end of my next turn

Move: Shift to F17

Minor: Dragon Breath at G18 to [I20

[roll2] vs Ref
[roll3] vs Ref
[roll4] vs Ref
[roll5]

Daftendirekt
2012-02-02, 12:46 PM
Seeing that they are surrounded, Myrmidon pulls forth her massive sword and charges at the nearest kobold, snarling viciously. She drags the blade's edge along the ground as she runs, bringing it up in a wicked uppercut.

Move Action: Draw fullblade.
Standard Action: Charge to I19 and use Howling Strike vs. Kobold 1.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1][roll2]

Luck
2012-02-02, 08:15 PM
Bjorn

The rowdy dwarf readies his axe and smashes down towards one of the kobolds while the bridge splinters and springs up to stab from below.

Minor: draw weapon
Free: Mark kobolds 2 and 3
Standard: Earth Spikes on kobold #2
Attack: [roll0] vs AC

Luck
2012-02-02, 08:23 PM
Only Nadarr is able to harm any of the kobolds, thus far. His point blank burst of frost chilled the nearest most target, but the other were able to evade.

These kobolds are proving just as slippery as the last bunch.

angille
2012-02-03, 10:01 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

"Boy-o, these Kord-damn things sure do sneak up right quick, huh?" Lodek quips as he unsnaps and whips over his axe.

"By Kord's Strength!" the imposing goliath bellows as, seeing a chink in the kobold's armor, swings his axe through the little thing!

Minor: Draw weapon.
Minor: Divine Strength - +4 damage on my next attack this turn
Standard: Piercing Smite against Kobold 2

Attack: +6 vs Reflex - [roll0]
Hit: 2(W) + Str damage (plus Divine Strength) - [roll1] and Kobolds 2 and 3 are marked

Evidently, Bjorn and Lodek will probably want to separate themselves in the marching order in the future.

Luck
2012-02-07, 07:44 PM
Faelean uses his thunderwave to try and make some more room.

Kobold 4:
attack: [roll0]

spear kobold:
attack: [roll1]

damage: [roll2]

Luck
2012-02-07, 08:20 PM
Kobold 1 shoves Myrmidon, trying to depose her of her spot on the narrow bridge.

Bull Rush Attack: [roll0] vs fortitude
On hit, make a saving throw to avoid falling
Saving Throw: [roll1]
If failed, athletics check to swim
Athletics: [roll2]

Kobold 2 pounds his shield and swings his sword at Lodek.

Attack: [roll3] vs AC
Damage: [roll4]
On hit, marked

Kobold 3 slams his shield against Nadarr with the aim of knocking the dragonborn off blanace..

Bull Rush Attack: [roll5] vs fortitude
On hit, make a saving throw to avoid falling
Saving Throw: [roll6]
If failed, athletics check to swim
Athletics: [roll7]

The Spear kobold attacks Kholar with another jab of his pike.

Attack: [roll8] vs AC
Damage: [roll9]

Kobold 4 moves back in to engage with the wizard Faelean again and launches an attack.

Attack: [roll10] vs AC
Damage: [roll11]
On hit, marked

The Skull Kobold fires an acid orb at Bjorn.

Attack: [roll12] vs reflex
Damage: [roll13]

Map:

The Map (docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsteV6nnoCf_dEYyalhIaVR1RmUtSV9wRm1BTHgzM EE)

Legend:

Grey: Rocky Shoreline
Brown: Covered Bridge
Dark Blue: Deep Water
Light Blue: Shallow Water

Terrain and Zones:

Rocky Shoreline: Acts as difficult terrain
Covered Bridge: Open Terrain
Shallow Water: Difficult Terrain
Deep Water: Difficult Terrain. An Athletics Check (DC 15) must be made when entered and at the beginning of each turn you start in deep water. Failure means your character has been swept away by the current and is pushed 3 squares to the left, or until other terrain is encountered. If pushing in this way would move your character onto shallow water or shoreline, it will leave your character in that space and prone.

Initiative:

Myrmidon: 18
Bjorn: 18
Nadarr: 18
Faelean: 13

Kobolds: 12

Kholar: 4

Other Notes: There's no railings on the sides of the bridge.

tigerusthegreat
2012-02-07, 08:33 PM
Kholar-Human Warlock

Kholar smirks at the kobold ahead of him. He yells something in a dark language, the malice of an evil being of the nine hells focusing on the kobold. Stepping backwards, Kholar grasps his hand forward, gesturing to that kobold with a grin. A hand of shadow reaches out to grab at the kobold.

Minor: Warlock's Curse on the kobold at G14
Move: Shift to G16
Standard: Diabolic Grasp (Encounter): [roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]
Hit: damage plus I shift the target 3 squares. Shifting him F14, E15, then sweep him under the bridge F15

Luck
2012-02-07, 10:02 PM
Kholar drops the helpless kobold into the river as it shrieks in protest.

It struggles to keep it's head above the water and is quickly swept away before managing to frantically grasp onto rock.

Hashmir
2012-02-07, 11:32 PM
"Brilliant work, my friend!"

Nadarr laughed approvingly at the magics surrounding Kholar and Faelean, with lightning and shadow sending kobolds flying. He ducked back to finish the creature that had been flung from he bridge with an extended one-hand thrust of his halberd.

Move: Shift to F16

Minor: Inspiring Word on Faelean (can spend a healing surge and gain an extra [roll0] HP)

Standard: Wolf Pack Tactics vs spear kobold

[roll1] (+1 Dragonborn Fury, +1 Combat Advantage against prone target)
[roll2]

angille
2012-02-12, 05:01 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Glancing back and forth at everyone falling off the bridge, Lodek notes, "Well shucks, mah granny coulda made a better bridge than this!"

His armor shifts slightly as he bulks up slightly. The kobold on his left hears a distant crack of thunder when Lodek glares at him, but is granted a slight reprieve when the goliath attacks his buddy instead!

Minor: Stone's Endurance - resist 5 all UENT.
Minor: Divine Challenge on Kobold 1 - marked and takes 7 radiant damage if he attacks my ally without attacking me
Standard: Valiant Strike on Kobold 2

Attack: +9 vs AC (+6, +1 per adjacent enemy) - [roll0]
Hit: 1d12+4 damage - [roll1]

Totally OOC: hello everyone?

angille
2012-02-12, 05:05 PM
Lodek - Goliath Paladin

Lodek swings his bloody axe back up to a new attack position, chuckles menacingly, and fixes his stare on the kobold carrying his Divine Challenge.

Lodek's greataxe is a high-crit weapon: 26 damage?

Luck
2012-02-12, 08:12 PM
The gore from the splattered kobold bathes the other nearby kobolds in blood and gore. They uneasily look at each other for strength in how to overcome such an intimidating foe, or wondering if fleeing is the right thing to do.