PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Master of Chains

Thurbane
2011-12-29, 03:25 AM
Just looking through Sword & Fist recently, and was reading through the Master of Chains PrC. Apart from some horrendous reqs (6 feats and skills that are most likely cross-class, and an alignment restriction for no apparent reason), it seems like an OK PrC for a spiked chain wielder.

In particular, the 5th level ability allows you to wield a spiked chain as a double weapon instead of a reach weapon. This would get around the TWF traditional problem of having to pay for 2 magic weapons or both ends of a double weapon.

Anyone ever used this PrC?

Cheers - T.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-29, 06:49 AM
I think Master of Chains was updated (with varying degrees of "officialness," natch) into "Exotic Weapon Master" in Complete Warrior. Not having Sword and Fist itself, I can't say much for "Master of Chains" as is.

Thurbane
2011-12-29, 06:58 AM
I think Master of Chains was updated (with varying degrees of "officialness," natch) into "Exotic Weapon Master" in Complete Warrior. Not having Sword and Fist itself, I can't say much for "Master of Chains" as is.
That would be a shame, as it's a 10 level PrC, and it's abilities are radically different to EWM. :smallfrown:

According to this list (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x), looks like you're right. :smallyuk:

Gharkash
2012-01-01, 12:12 AM
Can't say i am 100% sure, but exotic weapon master is not that much of a "master of chains". He has some tricks for chains but i doubt they can compete with the master of chains' mastery on his weapon. As a class i don't know if its actually worth the trouble, but it has a really good flavor on it. Also, ridiculous prerequisites exist on many classes, but you can always ask your DM to change some into something you both find fitting.