PDA

View Full Version : [SR] Sleep Madness and Simsense

LibraryOgre
2011-12-29, 10:02 AM
So, about 2am, when I couldn't get to sleep, even with the Zyrtec in me, I had a thought:

Could you make a simsense recording of someone sleeping, and use that as a sleep aid?

Like, the consumer buys this program, lies down in a comfy chair, turns it on, and more or less lets someone else's restful sleep overtake them?

Would that work, given simsense as we know it?

And can one of you fraggin' drek-heads invent it, please? :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2011-12-29, 03:31 PM
So, about 2am, when I couldn't get to sleep, even with the Zyrtec in me, I had a thought:

Could you make a simsense recording of someone sleeping, and use that as a sleep aid?

Like, the consumer buys this program, lies down in a comfy chair, turns it on, and more or less lets someone else's restful sleep overtake them?

Would that work, given simsense as we know it?

And can one of you fraggin' drek-heads invent it, please? :smallbiggrin:

I imagine that the sensory impressions from dreams would translate to simsense about as well as normal senses do, so I expect this wouldn't work. It would, however, allow you to record your dreams. Duuuuuuude.

Sorry to hear about the insomnia. Sucks. :smallfrown:

BudgetDM
2011-12-29, 05:02 PM
I'd say, maaayyyybe if it was hot sim. I actually looked thought the core and Augmentation for any cyber- or bioware that effected sleep and only found one. A sleep regulator, which lets a person operate on three hours of sleep.

horseboy
2011-12-31, 04:37 PM
Don't they already have some sort of "put you out" booth in 4th or something? I seem to vaguely remember something about it in that Mastercard inspired attempt at fluff.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-31, 04:59 PM
Could you make a simsense recording of someone sleeping, and use that as a sleep aid?I don't see why not.

I'd say, maaayyyybe if it was hot sim.Bad idea; you don't want to sleep in hot sim, it would fry your neural pathways. Plus, it's supposed to be, like, a super-intense sensation and all. :smalleek:

It'd be like trying to fall asleep after taking caffiene or other stimulants.

Using a DNI like the trodes, et cetera, would probably work best.

BudgetDM
2011-12-31, 11:39 PM
Bad idea; you don't want to sleep in hot sim, it would fry your neural pathways. Plus, it's supposed to be, like, a super-intense sensation and all. :smalleek:

It'd be like trying to fall asleep after taking caffiene or other stimulants

I had intended to add, "Which would cause more problems than it solves", to the end of that but I guess I forgot. :smallredface:

Reluctance
2012-01-01, 03:56 AM
I'd actually suspect that the same dampeners that keep cold sim cold would keep a simdeck from actually putting a person to sleep. The ability to have your emotions and state of consciousness affected to that degree is something that most normal citizens would want a hardware block on. Doubly so since moodchips are one of the noted types of BTL.

Most people would just take sleeping pills and be on with it. A few would simsense out distractions and create a restful environment around them to ease things along. And those trying to eke out every ounce of productivity would alternate days of using drugs/sim to stay up all night, and using drugs/sim/natural exhaustion to get a full night's sleep. All of which, once you ignore the simsense, have easy modern-day analogues.

Joran
2012-01-09, 06:06 PM
Sleep is a very interesting biological phenomenon and I don't think we truly understand it. If you adhere to the "sleep is when we consolidate our memories" theory, hot sim sleep could have a weird side effect. You might remember someone else's day... or just have a weird feeling of deja vu or suddenly find your hands doing something you don't expect.

I'd think with the technology in Shadowrun, a simple "induce sleep cycle" drug or device would be possible, no hot-sim required.