PDA

View Full Version : apply an elf to this

leegi0n
2011-12-29, 11:28 AM
I'm going to create the following build: Cleric 4/Crusader 1/bone knight10/Ruby Knight Vindicator5.

In the story, there is an evil deity who has always had it out for elves (except the drow) and his followers have declared an unofficial genocide on them. I want to create a legion of the above build, but NEED to build it around some variant of elf. They are elves as a mockery against all other elves. They can be twisted, distorted, disgusting versions...just not undead.

Is there any one variant of elf (high, moon, wood, wild, etc.) that would work best for the above build. I know that elves are not ideal for such a build, but I have to incorporate them as such.

suggestions?

CTrees
2011-12-29, 11:39 AM
Well, if you like going Tolkien-style? Orcs.

Alternatively, apply fiendish, (non-epic) pseudonatural, or some other template (things that make creatures aberrations would be good, I'd think) to a normal form of elf, and just fluff it as an evil, corrupted version. Isn't there a bizarre half-slime template?

Flickerdart
2011-12-29, 11:41 AM
A melee build with some CHA dependency? Most Elves hit either Strength or Constitution, both of which you need. Aquatic Elves are +Dex/-Int, so while they don't penalize you, they don't boost anything either - and in full plate you're not going to be doing much swimming. Painted Elves from Sandstorm have the same stat modifiers. Snow Elves (Frostburn) are +Dex/-Cha. The only elves that will help you hit harder are Wood Elves (+Str +Dex/-Con -Int) but they're also squishy, so it's up to you whether you want your guys to hit for a little more or soak a little more damage. All the Half-Elves have no ability score modifiers, so you might just want to stick with one of those.

leegi0n
2011-12-29, 11:44 AM
A melee build with some CHA dependency? Most Elves hit either Strength or Constitution, both of which you need. Aquatic Elves are +Dex/-Int, so while they don't penalize you, they don't boost anything either - and in full plate you're not going to be doing much swimming. Painted Elves from Sandstorm have the same stat modifiers. Snow Elves (Frostburn) are +Dex/-Cha. The only elves that will help you hit harder are Wood Elves (+Str +Dex/-Con -Int) but they're also squishy, so it's up to you whether you want your guys to hit for a little more or soak a little more damage. All the Half-Elves have no ability score modifiers, so you might just want to stick with one of those.

good idea. good, good idea.

Telonius
2011-12-29, 12:10 PM
I'm going to create the following build: Cleric 4/Crusader 1/bone knight10/Ruby Knight Vindicator5.

In the story, there is an evil deity who has always had it out for elves (except the drow) and his followers have declared an unofficial genocide on them. I want to create a legion of the above build, but NEED to build it around some variant of elf. They are elves as a mockery against all other elves. They can be twisted, distorted, disgusting versions...just not undead.

Is there any one variant of elf (high, moon, wood, wild, etc.) that would work best for the above build. I know that elves are not ideal for such a build, but I have to incorporate them as such.

suggestions?

Mockery against all other elves? Half-Elf. :smallbiggrin:

If you want to boost the casting stat, Wisdom is a hard one to get. I can't seem to find any Elf subraces that grant it (which is weird in itself). There are a couple templates that could get it for you. Half-Fey and Wendigo, both from Fiend Folio, are +2 and +4 LA templates respectively. Wendigo would probably be a better thematic fit, but the level adjustment is awful. If you could brew up a Savage Progression for either one, and get the bonus in one level, it might be worth it. But not otherwise.

I think you'd probably be better off with just going with Wild Elf. It doesn't penalize your Strength or Charisma (which is at least mildly useful to a Cleric), and everybody can use a little extra Dex.

elvengunner69
2011-12-29, 12:18 PM
Well, if you like going Tolkien-style? Orcs.

Alternatively, apply fiendish, (non-epic) pseudonatural, or some other template (things that make creatures aberrations would be good, I'd think) to a normal form of elf, and just fluff it as an evil, corrupted version. Isn't there a bizarre half-slime template?

Or as someone mentioned half-elves -- or even a Numenorean human race (ie Aragorn and to a lesser extent Faromir/Boromir).

Darrin
2011-12-29, 12:23 PM
They are elves as a mockery against all other elves. They can be twisted, distorted, disgusting versions...just not undead.

Maybe try Hellbred (Fiendish Codex II) + pointy ears?

hydraa
2011-12-29, 01:27 PM
I think there is a Dwarf/Elf in one of the third party books out there