PDA

View Full Version : Mitigating Aging penalties [3.PF]

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 12:16 PM
Other than playing an Undead, a Dragonwrought Kobold or Reincarnate cheese, is there any way to mitigate the -6 to physical stats if a PC wishes to start out at a venerable age category (to both net the mental bonuses and to play a "BAOM" or "COC")?

Alleran
2011-12-29, 12:27 PM
Druids have Timeless Body.

You can also become immune to aging somehow. There are a couple of methods, I think.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 12:33 PM
Druids have Timeless Body.

You can also become immune to aging somehow. There are a couple of methods, I think.

Timeless Body doesn't rid you of the aging penalties you already accrued though.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-29, 12:52 PM
Well, assuming you're starting at venerable to get those tasty tasty mental stat bonuses, age resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/age-resistance) is on almost everyone's spell list.

sreservoir
2011-12-29, 01:05 PM
if PsU is allowed (it's basically a translation of XPH psionics to PF, it should be!), you can have xp-less true mind switch.

or, really, just psionic sandwich into something unaging.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 01:06 PM
Well, assuming you're starting at venerable to get those tasty tasty mental stat bonuses, age resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/age-resistance) is on almost everyone's spell list.

You'd need the Greater incarnation for Venerable, but that's an option I was unaware of. Thanks.

TheLooker
2011-12-29, 06:12 PM
Ahh, the timeless question of immortality with imposingly hardened and old looks. Who doesn'5 want to be a ripped grandpa? Well, other than the obvious lichdom, there is a dry lich (sandstorm) and the totally awesome spell in the book of vial darkness that is called Steal Life, which makes you younger the more you cast it, so it is arguably taking away the negatives while also giving you the bonuses (of course you have to be evil and have human prisoners you're willing to turn to mush). Now to be good and live long, I believe the Saint template gives you longevity, although I might be wrong (book ofexalted deeds). Maybe drinking deity blood or something...:smallwink:

Rubik
2011-12-29, 06:34 PM
Wild shape, Polymorph (Any Object), (Greater) Metamorphosis, (True) Mind Switch, the body leech, becoming a construct or undead (partial, with Con), possession (as a ghost), and anything else where you either change shape or steal someone else's body.

Also, become an elan or a dragonborn.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 06:36 PM
Also, become an elan or a dragonborn.

That doesn't mitigate aging penalties (the Elan at least; I can't remember Dragonborn off the top of my head.)

Rubik
2011-12-29, 06:47 PM
That doesn't mitigate aging penalties (the Elan at least; I can't remember Dragonborn off the top of my head.)Dragonborn turns you into a young adult regardless of what you were before.

Both descriptions of elans (as a race and as a monster) say that newly-created elans are 'adults'. That's a term under 'starting age', and is referenced as 'young adult' elsewhere.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 06:49 PM
Both descriptions of elans (as a race and as a monster) say that newly-created elans are 'adults'. That's a term under 'starting age', and is referenced as 'young adult' elsewhere.

Then you start out as a young adult Elan. But Elans still take the -6 to Physical stats and +3 to mental stats per normal as they age.

Rubik
2011-12-29, 06:51 PM
Then you start out as a young adult Elan. But Elans still take the -6 to Physical stats and +3 to mental stats per normal as they age.I don't believe you ever specified 'must mitigate forever'.

It's valid for what you asked, even if it isn't what you wanted.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 06:57 PM
I don't believe you ever specified 'must mitigate forever'.

It's valid for what you asked, even if it isn't what you wanted.

It's not valid at all, since you just specified a base race that has no maximum age category alongside a +0 LA template.

They make mention that Elans are "created" and not "born" but there is no actual "Elan template", so Elans just fall under similar conditions as the Warforged and Killoren.

Unless you meant use something like Reincarnate to become an Elan, but there are far other suitable targets for such methods that don't directly require DM fiat to work.

Rubik
2011-12-29, 06:59 PM
It's not valid at all, since you just specified a base race that has no maximum age category alongside a +0 LA template.

They make mention that Elans are "created" and not "born" but there is no actual "Elan template", so Elans just fall under similar conditions as the Warforged and Killoren.

Unless you meant use something like Reincarnate to become an Elan, but there are far other suitable targets for such methods that don't directly require DM fiat to work.Except that you're the same person underneath, even if you can change everything else. It's kind of like super-Psychic Reformation where you can change out class levels and your race, except it resets your ECL to 1 and your race to elan.

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 06:59 PM
Except that you're the same person underneath, even if you can change everything else. It's kind of like super-Psychic Reformation where you can change out class levels and your race, except it resets your ECL to 1 and your race to elan.

But is there any actual way to become an Elan outside DM fiat?

Rubik
2011-12-29, 07:02 PM
But is there any actual way to become an Elan outside DM fiat?Polymorph, Metamorphosis, master of many forms, (Greater) Mind Switch, etc. That's about it.

cattoy
2011-12-29, 07:03 PM
Age Resistance? (UM)

Alleran
2011-12-29, 08:26 PM
Timeless Body doesn't rid you of the aging penalties you already accrued though.
It can. Start as an adult, make sure to get Timeless Body before you reach middle age. Or start at a high enough level that you'd have Timeless Body anyway, but that only happens in high-power games.

Little Brother
2011-12-29, 08:39 PM
Be a Druid? Wildshape is pro that way.