PDA

View Full Version : DnD character's bucket list.

AustontheGreat1
2011-12-29, 12:49 PM
Got a character in need of quests for a bucket list. The idea is that he was raised on the old fashioned fairy tales and legends of heroes. During his childhood he created a list of adventures and goals to finish before he dies (unless he dies trying; which is still a victory in his eyes.) Anyway, I'm trying to fill out an impressive list and I'm looking for suggestions. Anything from traditional quests to simply awesome achievements. Hopefully everyone will have some fun thinking of suggestions and I could use some help (the list is only nine quests long so far and I'm hoping for multiple pages.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alias
2011-12-29, 01:48 PM
Beat a dragon in a drinking contest.

Have an affair with a nymph.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-29, 02:14 PM
For a lower magic feel, you can replace "dragon" with "dwarf" for the drinking contest bit.

Other options include silly things like "steal a dragon's most prized jewel" and "become ambassador to those crazy [elves/orcs/whatever]."

If you're setting up a character for a certain setting, it could be things like "Travel to the Spine of the World and come back alive!" or "Learn how to tell a changeling from an elf from a gnome conspirator."

RandomNPC
2011-12-29, 03:01 PM
My character in a friends game just witnessed magic for the first time (it just got un-outlawed three games in) and now he wants nothing more than to experience as many different magical modes of transportation as he can.

It's great, one day I'm a hired guard, I see this grayish cloud roll in at about 60 mph, and all the sudden it dips for the ground and dissipates, from the remaining mist walk out the rest of the adventuring party. That's when he started his bucket list. 1: Do that.

Glimbur
2011-12-29, 03:12 PM
Kill a God.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-29, 03:13 PM
Kill a God.

Bonus points if you end up playing something by Dragonforce or similar "Heavy Mithril" metal.

AustontheGreat1
2011-12-29, 03:19 PM
Great suggestions. I'm definitely going to use them. Thanks. A little info about the setting would probably be helpful. Sorry I left that out.

Well, the character is your basic farm boy with a heart of gold who left the family farm to be a hero of legend, fueled by the bedtime stories his father would tell his siblings and him growing up. Setting is actually high magic/high Steamtech world which is an alternate earth where magic, elves, and dragons also exist.

So far the list is

1. Ride a dragon/Slay a dragon
2. Rescue a damsel in distress.
3. Kiss a princess
4. Find a magic genie's lamp and get 3 wishes.
5. Break an evil witch's spell
6. Out drink a dragon
7. Beat a giant in a contest of strength
8. Catch a leprechaun and get his pot of gold.
9. Outsmart a devil
10. Save a village from certain destruction.
11. Liberate a kingdom from a tyrannical overlord.
12. Find a magical artifact
13. Gain the personal favor of a good deity
14. Love and be loved in return by a magical maiden (nymph, dryad, etc...)
15. Avenge a loved one
16. Steal a dragon's treasure right from under his nose
17. Create peace between two warring nations
18. Slay an evil god

That's all I've got so far. I'm looking for things with a more traditional, classical fairy-tale/Epic story feel.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I hope they keep coming.

AndrewTheLesser
2011-12-29, 03:52 PM
15. Avenge a loved one

Is it odd that my first thought reading this is that you're essentially hoping a love one will be murdered?

Radar
2011-12-29, 04:54 PM
Pose as team for a famous painter.

Win a staredown contest with a basilisk and live.

Uncover a secret evil cult.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-29, 06:55 PM
Get a magical bear (Or any other animal along those lines) as a travelling companion, close friend and advisor.

Defeat a valiant knight in a fair, non-lethal dual and earn the respect of the knight in the process.

Discover and learn a forgotten sword technique.

Giarc
2011-12-29, 07:01 PM
Participate in the forging or reforging of a legendary sword.

Ksheep
2011-12-29, 07:29 PM
Complete Scoundrel, page 156-157. That should give you plenty of ideas. Probably shouldn't use the whole thing as your bucket list tho :smalltongue:

NikitaDarkstar
2011-12-30, 01:57 AM
Well these might not be as magical as the others but oh well.

Sail the seven seas. (As in cross every ocean your setting might have.)
Visit every country in the world at least once.
Learn a rare (and difficult) language.
Get knighted! (Come on, this is a must for someone who wants to be a hero. :p)
Redeem a demon/devil/evil dragon.
Learn to play an instrument/sing/poetry. (Hey if you want to impress princesses and nymphs you might need it.)

Pokonic
2011-12-30, 04:55 AM
Awaken several woodland animals, for the hope that you can retire in Narnia.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-30, 12:26 PM
Fight an undead horde

Slay a dragon

Rescue a princess

Defeat an evil wizard

Retrieve a legendary sword long forgotten

QuidEst
2011-12-30, 01:22 PM
This is a great idea! Should make for a very interesting character.

1. Insult a king to his face.
2. Start or stop a war single-handedly (I don't think you should limit it to just bringing peace).
3. Outsmart a sphinx (I've got a good riddle for this).
4. Not an item for the list, but a recommendation that you read "Lazarus and the Dragons" (or any of several variations in different cultures, which contains some excellent examples of how to pull some of these off. For instance, the hero wins a contest of strength with a dragon by challenging him to crush a stone until milk comes out. The dragon, of course, grabs a boulder and crushes it into tiny gravel. The hero takes a block of cheese and, with great show, presses on it until milk comes out. (Thanks to tuggyne for catching my incorrect source.)
5. Be immortalized in song or statue (no, having a staring contest with Medusa does not count).
6. Journey to and return from the underworld. Classical Hades is preferable, but not necessary.
7. Win the heart of an elf lady. May overlap with various princess obligations.
8. Get out of death, fate, or some such thing by playing incredibly beautiful music. From the sound of his upbringing, he's probably a bit of a Bard anyhow.
9. Meet a [insert lost race of choice].
10. Destroy an evil artifact.
11. Be a Chosen One.

Starscream
2011-12-30, 03:12 PM
* Eat a dragon steak, aboleth sushi, or illithid calamari.

* Have a golem or mindless undead under your command. Give them a tube of Sovereign Glue. On your command, they must spread the glue on themselves and then run up and hug your enemy.

* Chariot race. The kind where someone inevitably has spikes on their wheels.

* Have a sword fight with a pirate. He should have a peg-leg and an eyepatch. If he doesn't let him live, but make sure you leave him in such a state that he will have a peg-leg and eyepatch when he inevitably comes looking for revenge.

* Give a beholder a black eye.

* Locate the Hand of Vecna. Use it to pick your nose.

* Appear on wanted posters. Collect as many as you can find, and use them to impress the ladies.

* Get a big pile of gold. Use strength enhancing magic to allow yourself to swim in it like Scrooge McDuck.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-30, 03:13 PM
Destroy ancient, evil-aligned, thousand-year-old relic

Avenge father's murder

Pokonic
2011-12-30, 03:16 PM
Trick a god to give you stuff, then run off.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-30, 03:18 PM
Duel a pirate captain on his ship during a fierce thunder storm

Alf Brandybuck
2011-12-30, 04:30 PM
1) Own a chariot pulled by flying bears
2) attend Valhalla upon his death
3) Drink with tyr
4) scam loki out of some gold (close but no cigar)
5) get his own custom built katana
6) take a Nymph as a wife
7) get his eyes enchanted (blue one is, green ones is not)
8) Rule his own kingdom
9) slay orcus and make a goblet out of his horn
10) find his grandfather John Brandybuck

Pokonic
2011-12-30, 04:53 PM
Convince epic level wizerd that he is his own father, tell him he mind-wiped himself.:smallbiggrin:

jguy
2011-12-30, 07:19 PM
I had a guy whose whole existence was towards one thing. He wanted to put a Great Wyrm into a headlock. Didn't matter if he died right after, that was what he wanted to do more than anything.

TuggyNE
2011-12-30, 08:27 PM
4. Not an item for the list, but a recommendation that you read "Farmer Giles of Ham", which contains some excellent examples of how to pull some of these off. For instance, he wins a contest of strength with a dragon by challenging him to crush a stone until milk comes out. The dragon, of course, grabs a boulder and crushes it into tiny gravel. Farmer Giles takes a block of cheese and, with great show, presses on it until milk comes out.

But that's... that's not from Farmer Giles at all! That's from the old fairy tale of Lazarus and the dragons, the same leatherworker who wrote "With one stroke I have taken forty lives!" on a belt*.

*He had, of course, merely hit a bunch of flies at once.

Razanir
2011-12-30, 08:45 PM
3. Outsmart a sphinx (I've got a good riddle for this).

By any chance is the riddle "What have I got in my pocket?"

hushblade
2011-12-31, 07:00 AM
Complete Scoundrel, page 156-157. That should give you plenty of ideas. Probably shouldn't use the whole thing as your bucket list tho :smalltongue:

Beat me to it.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-31, 08:11 AM
Begin all quests in an inn.:smallwink:

QuidEst
2012-01-01, 10:37 PM
But that's... that's not from Farmer Giles at all! That's from the old fairy tale of Lazarus and the dragons, the same leatherworker who wrote "With one stroke I have taken forty lives!" on a belt*.

*He had, of course, merely hit a bunch of flies at once.
You're right! Sorry about that, it's been quite some time since I read either, and I mixed the two up. Thanks for catching that! I'll go back and edit my original.

By any chance is the riddle "What have I got in my pocket?"
No, I expect that would get you a very unhappy sphinx on your hand.
Set up an agreement with the sphinx that if she answers wrong (or doesn't answer), you get what it is you want. Otherwise, she gets to eat you. (Or whatever the penalty is.)

Pose the following riddle:
"Nothing more and nothing less
Than what you're about to guess."

The answer is "wrong." Getting the correct answer is still guessing "wrong," and anything else is wrong.

The most common incorrect answer is "the answer." This doesn't work, because if the guess is anything else, than it's not the answer.

Wyntonian
2012-01-03, 07:56 PM
Begin all quests in an inn.:smallwink:

Impossible. All inns have an infinite number of dark, smokey corners with shifty, hooded men in them. You could never get to them all.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-01-04, 04:15 PM
Impossible. All inns have an infinite number of dark, smokey corners with shifty, hooded men in them. You could never get to them all.

I think he meant begin every quest you get in an inn. Not begin every inn quest ever.

Angry Bob
2012-01-04, 04:24 PM
I have player in my group who builds otherwise diverse characters, but every single one has the item "Sleep with the hottest woman in the setting" on their bucket list.

He tried it in my campaign with his pixie sorcerer. She turned out to be a vessel the Quori were grooming to assume the mantle of the Dreaming Dark's Exarch in the prime material. Still counts, I guess.

Radar
2012-01-04, 04:24 PM
I know! You could be the shade guy in the corner giving quests to other adventurers! :smallbiggrin:

It actually might a be fun and profitable.

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-06, 09:06 PM
Fall in love with a male or female of a race besides human.

Raise my dragon hatchling.

Successfully resolve problems with my Diplomacy stat.

Vknight
2012-01-07, 09:51 AM
Seduce a Goddess

Trick Giants into giving me lodging

Free souls trapped be a Merman

Fight a Irish Fairy.

Become a master of divine and arcane magic

Take on the Githyanki

Fight a Death Knight

Wear a Lich's Phylactery as a necklace

DarkEricDraven
2012-01-08, 08:54 AM
Take on the Githyanki

What is so special about the Githyanki?

Rankar
2012-01-08, 08:51 PM
While standing wreathed in flames, chaos, and destruction say, "your best wasn't good enough" to your opponent.

Become a myth in your own age.

Become a Dragon.

Become a God.

Start a tavern of infinite dark corners of plot hooks.

Make out with a Gibbering Mouther.

Cause and or prevent a extinction level event.

Choke a Choker

Eat a gelatinous cube filled with Pineapple.

Duel a Balor and defeat it single handed.

Journey to the ends of the Abyss and return.

Depose an evil monarchy.

Have a spell made permanent on yourself.

Do all of this as a bard.

Vknight
2012-01-08, 09:10 PM
What is so special about the Githyanki?

...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Githyanki yeah there.

Get a Mindflayer to not want to eat your brain

Charm a succubus/dragon or other powerful creature

Ksheep
2012-01-08, 09:41 PM
Commission a new Gnomish invention… and have it work without blowing up in your face.

Understand how said Gnomish invention works and fix it if it breaks down.

Riverdance
2012-01-09, 02:10 PM
Kill an epic level wizard with an epic level rogue pvp. After thoroughly humiliating him. As he did to me last time I tried.

This is unrealistic.