PDA

View Full Version : Did we take all of the roles?

Rossebay
2011-12-29, 01:54 PM
We have two SotAO Mystic Rangers in our party. One wears heavy armor, and by level 8 will be able to cast his spells as Mass versions of themselves. He fills the role of frontlines fighter, party buffer, and can also do healing.

The other is the skillmonkey and trapmonkey, as well as another frontlines fighter, though his utility casting is focused on himself. He keeps himself alive.

But we have a healer, utility caster, buffer, and skillmonkey/trapmonkey.

Problem is, we have 4 people playing. What other classes would do well alongside us?

CyMage
2011-12-29, 01:59 PM
You could use a BFC/Debuffer.

sreservoir
2011-12-29, 02:00 PM
keep in mind that mystic ranger is only lightning warrior lite for the first ten levels; then its spell progression just ?? away.

it might be nice to have some battlefield control, too.

sreservoir
2011-12-29, 02:10 PM
keep in mind that mystic ranger is only lightning warrior lite for the first ten levels; then its spell progression just ?? away.

it might be nice to have some battlefield control, too.

Rossebay
2011-12-29, 02:41 PM
New dilemma.

Now we have a wizard in the party, and one more player would like to play. We don't want him to feel left out, so... Please, help. We need one more class that can happily play alongside us. D:

Urpriest
2011-12-29, 02:45 PM
How are you getting the Mass-ification by the way? Homebrew/3rd party, or are you referring to War Weaver, or something else entirely?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-12-29, 02:47 PM
Ideally, you guys can all meet up somewhere "neutral" (Fast food joints, the library, some place else) and talk about it. If you can coordinate conferences online via Skype, text messaging, or others, that helps, too.

You have a lot of people doing similar (or a lot of) different things each. Just have your group chat with each other. If there's a problem after a few sessions, talk with each other and try to be civil. Running with too many people can be hard on the game as a whole, so hard capping it at 4 (or 5) people isn't bad.

TL;DR: It depends a lot on the people playing.

Toliudar
2011-12-29, 02:47 PM
A bard, a factotum, a summoning-focused caster, a dread necromancer or a blaster/archer would all dovetail nicely with the existing builds. Mystic archers are good, but they're hardly the be-all and end-all.

Rossebay
2011-12-29, 02:48 PM
How are you getting the Mass-ification by the way? Homebrew/3rd party, or are you referring to War Weaver, or something else entirely?

War-Weaver, yes.

Aaaand... I just want him to have fun without being a repeat.

sreservoir
2011-12-29, 02:51 PM
I assume you'll be playing at lower levels?

well, you're all playing tier 1 classes (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8043.0), so. cleric, druid, psion, I guess?

(try not the break the campaign too much!)

I'm partial to a spirit shaman summoner, but they get messy.

Mato
2011-12-29, 03:02 PM
You're not taking all the roles, there is this little thing called Actions that prevents that.

You're Mystic Ranger may be able to heal (who cares), buff, and fight but he can only do one real offensive action per round. Attack or cast. Let the Wizard cast during combat, problem solved.

And when level 11 rolls around the Mystic Ranger loses it's flare, maybe it keeps up with CL trading Sorcerer based gish for another level or two but it fundamentally ends at level 10, just playing for a longer duration than your class is useful will reward the other players.

Finally, SotAO Mystic Ranger is powerful. Make sure your other players pick something on par. Like Marital Adapts should still feel useful or an Anima Mage, Incantatrix, DMM spamming Cleric, etc, will still outshine you.

I'd personally recommend an all gish themed party though so everyone gets in on what ever action they want. Maybe a Cloistered Cleric / PrC Paladin 1 / Ordained Champion with Knowledge Devotion for one guy and a Wizard / Abjurant Champion / Warblade / Jade Phoenix Mage for the other. Both of which are far stronger classes later on too.

Rossebay
2011-12-29, 03:24 PM
You're not taking all the roles, there is this little thing called Actions that prevents that.

You're Mystic Ranger may be able to heal (who cares), buff, and fight but he can only do one real offensive action per round. Attack or cast. Let the Wizard cast during combat, problem solved.

And when level 11 rolls around the Mystic Ranger loses it's flare, maybe it keeps up with CL trading Sorcerer based gish for another level or two but it fundamentally ends at level 10, just playing for a longer duration than your class is useful will reward the other players.

Finally, SotAO Mystic Ranger is powerful. Make sure your other players pick something on par. Like Marital Adapts should still feel useful or an Anima Mage, Incantatrix, DMM spamming Cleric, etc, will still outshine you.

I'd personally recommend an all gish themed party though so everyone gets in on what ever action they want. Maybe a Cloistered Cleric / PrC Paladin 1 / Ordained Champion with Knowledge Devotion for one guy and a Wizard / Abjurant Champion / Warblade / Jade Phoenix Mage for the other. Both of which are far stronger classes later on too.

Yeah, I'm taking Swiftblade and Abjurant Champion later on to make use of these so called "Action" thingies.

And War Weaver's abilities make up for the actions that the buffer would have needed to take.

But that still does leave the Wizard with the main role of casting the good spells.

Is a Swordsage or Warblade going to easily outshine my melee capabilities?

killem2
2011-12-29, 03:33 PM
I don't know if it is always needed, but I would like to see area blasting abilities.

DrDeth
2011-12-29, 03:44 PM
You had no Controller/blaster. But now you have a wizard. Golden.

Does the Mystic ranger really have enuf SkP to do all the stuff necessary in a dungeon- open locks, disable device, etc? Factotum would be nice, he also is very flexible.

I’d want another decent healer. Like Mato sez, you can’t do them all at once. A full out Druid or Cleric would work well with the high powered game, but a Dragon Shaman would be perfect if one player doesn’t mind playing the support role.