PDA

View Full Version : Strange Error

Tanuki Tales
2011-12-29, 02:18 PM
I was trying to update one of my homebrew just a little while earlier and I noticed that the pages took forever to load. Used to this I just hummed away, waiting, when a strange thing happened.

The screen went white and then gave me something like "DNS error, site Giant in the playground doesn't exist" and then kicked me over to a version of the Yahoo search engine with that displayed at the top and two hits shown (one for GiTP main page and one for the homebrew subforum).

Refreshing brought no results but hitting back and refreshing seemed to.

It's done this twice to me (and I didn't think to take any screen shots) in the last 30 minutes. And strangely it posted one of the posts I had been writing but didn't bump the thread higher up the forum and didn't change the last post time stamp to match said post. And when I go to try and delete the post so I can just repost it, it won't delete it (I've sent a report concerning at least that).

Anyone else getting this?

Yora
2011-12-29, 04:27 PM
The post being there but not showing up properly is a common error. To fix it, just add a new post to the thread, which sets everything allright. Then you can just edit the new post and click on "delete post" and everything is as it should be.

With yahoo search showing up, I assume it's something with your browser. Probably a toolbar or something like that.

Zherog
2011-12-29, 04:30 PM
The post being there but not showing up properly is a common error. To fix it, just add a new post to the thread, which sets everything allright. Then you can just edit the new post and click on "delete post" and everything is as it should be.

I could be misremembering, but something in my mind is saying that Rawhide has asked folks not to do this, as it can cause other problems in the database.

Snowbody
2011-12-29, 06:23 PM
I was trying to update one of my homebrew just a little while earlier and I noticed that the pages took forever to load. Used to this I just hummed away, waiting, when a strange thing happened.

The screen went white and then gave me something like "DNS error, site Giant in the playground doesn't exist" and then kicked me over to a version of the Yahoo search engine with that displayed at the top and two hits shown (one for GiTP main page and one for the homebrew subforum).

Refreshing brought no results but hitting back and refreshing seemed to.

This is almost certainly an issue with your ISP or your personal computer. There are two issues:
1. Giantitp.com was not found
There's a system called "DNS" that maps website addresses (such as giantitp.com) to the actual computer that is responsible for it. Each time you visit a new webpage your computer asks a server at your ISP for this information. Your computer may or may not hang onto this information for a while. It looks like yours isn't. Most of the time, your ISP is giving correct information, but some of the time your ISP's server seems to be forgetting as well -- the request is failing.
2. You're sent to Yahoo
A lot of ISPs intercept failed requests and send them to a search engine. The search engine pays money to the ISP to do this.

So you need to complain to your ISP about this.

The Bushranger
2011-12-29, 06:53 PM
It's an ISP issue. Sometimes when my DSL goes down, when it comes back up, at first it's only "halfway back"; some websites it'll work fine on, others, it claims doesn't exist.

The fix is to yell and scream at your ISP over the phone. OK, it's not really a fix, but it will make you feel better about it. :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2011-12-29, 08:10 PM

With yahoo search showing up, I assume it's something with your browser. Probably a toolbar or something like that.

Please do not do this. Doing this will only make the problem worse. Please wait for it to resolve itself.

Roland St. Jude
2011-12-29, 09:12 PM

Please do not do this. Doing this will only make the problem worse. Please wait for it to resolve itself.I would like to add, to all non-staff posters looking to be helpful and respond to Board Issues inquiries, please don't unless you are completely certain of your answer. Speculation and incorrect answers have a way of being remembered as much or more than the later correction.

Asta Kask
2011-12-30, 07:06 AM
So the cure is patience, patience, patience... Ok, I can live with that.

Yora
2012-01-04, 02:33 PM
I just discovered the reverse: Post shows up, but thread doesn't show new posts.

Douglas
2012-01-04, 04:04 PM
I just discovered the reverse: Post shows up, but thread doesn't show new posts.
That's the other common error we're getting due to server capacity problems. I've seen it reported in this forum many times, and we're stuck with it until and unless either the server gets upgraded (last I remember on that is that ad revenue hasn't been reliably high enough for the upgrade they really want, so they're looking into alternatives) or site traffic goes down.