PDA

View Full Version : Building a bookworm character

hydraa
2011-12-29, 04:44 PM
I am going to be starting a new game soon and want to play a bookworm type of character. I am looking at playing a Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge?

The game will start at level 1 and I will be using a gray elf with elf generalist and perhaps domain wizard

Using two flaws I was looking at the first level feats being
<these are all 1st level only feats>
Collegiate Wizard,
Spellcasting Prodigy,
Precocious Apprentice

Will trying to advance both classes gimp both sides (I had originally thought about going the wizard route only but decided what to look at what a dual book caster would look like)

Geigan
2011-12-29, 05:28 PM
Well wizard archivist is typically one of the best sorts of theurges in that it's SAD so you at least don't have to worry about splitting your stats. You hit on the typical Theurge problem right off there though. A theurge that tries to get in as the designers apparently intended will gimp itself in comparison to normal casters by making itself fall too far behind in both of it's casting progressions to be anywhere as useful as a straight caster in either. Typically this is solved through early entry into your dual casting progression, living with being less powerful than your typical caster, or just not playing a theurge. There's also a very nice guide on theurges explaining various tricks and options here (community.wizards.com/forumhandler?t=860220).

Eldest
2011-12-29, 05:30 PM
Similar idea, not quite finished yet (I think). (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224999)

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-29, 06:20 PM
I'd abandon one side of that. Remember, an Archivist can already get every spell ever... no need to add Wizard or Mystic Theurge to that, you know?

Manateee
2011-12-29, 06:27 PM
When optimizing literacy, Scholar's Touch is key.

Will trying to advance both classes gimp both sides (I had originally thought about going the wizard route only but decided what to look at what a dual book caster would look like)
Basically, yes. Even with advancement trickery, you have better things to do with your levels/feats.

Psyren
2011-12-29, 07:11 PM
I'd abandon one side of that. Remember, an Archivist can already get every spell ever... no need to add Wizard or Mystic Theurge to that, you know?

This. I'd rather have Dread Secret than spells I can already get, even more of them.

Gavinfoxx
2011-12-29, 08:16 PM
Will trying to advance both classes gimp both sides

Yes, instead, look at the many, many, many, many ways an Archivist can get access to wizard/sorcerer spells... there are LOTS of ways...

IdleMuse
2011-12-29, 08:24 PM
Offtopic slightly, but I bet a Wizard||Archivist gestalt would be fun. What everyone else above is saying is true though in normal D&D, be a straight Archivist and don't worry too much about TO cheese; you're already very powerful and theurging won't help without some pretty complex shenanigans which will more than likely be vetoed by a DM in a real game.

hydraa
2011-12-29, 08:26 PM
i had seen the handbook and it is helpful. just wanted to specialize a bit on it.

it appears that really the only advantage wizard would give is spell slots, a couple more bonus feats (and a familiar). Archivist gives all the wizards skills plus heal,diplomacy, gather info, and search along with 2 more skill points per level

so probably the best at this point would be arch 11/wiz 1/MT 8 with early entry if i was to include wiz

dextercorvia
2011-12-29, 09:59 PM
If you aren't going Wizard until then, I would just skip it. Some extra 1st level spells at level 12? A couple of extra 5ths at 20? I'll pass.