PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Bear Warrior dmg

ignayshus
2011-12-29, 07:01 PM
Variants:
Barb (City Brawler, Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy)
Ranger (Champion of the Wild, Wildshape, Distracting Attack, Voice of City)
Fighter (Dungeon Crasher)

00. Human: Power Attack
01. Barbarian: Imp UAS, Great Fortitude, TWF(UAS only)
02. Ranger: Track
03. Ranger: Superior UAS
04. Ranger: Endurance
05. Ranger: Imp Bullrush
06. Fighter: Shock Trooper, Leap Attack
07. Fighter:
08. Bear Warrior:
09. Bear Warrior: Steadfast Determination
10. Bear Warrior
11. Bear Warrior
12. Bear Warrior: Great and Small
13. Fist of the Forest:
14. Nature's Warrior:
15. Fighter: Improved Natural Attack (claw)
16. Fighter: Combat Expertise
17. Fighter:
18. Fighter: Improved Trip
19. Fist of the Forest:
20. Fist of the Forest:

uas - 2d6 (superior) > 2d10 (fist of forest) > 4d8 (large)
claw - 1d8+6 (large) > 2d6+6 (imp na)

Not sure if I'm calculating this full attack correctly, assuming level 20, bear form (not raging, not huge), strength in bear form 40(or +15), full power attack from AC:
Unarmed 33/28/23/18 (4d8+15str+20pa) each
Off-hand 33 (4d8+15str+20pa)
Claw 30/30 (2d6+6+15str+20pa) each
Bite 30 (2d6+12+15str+20pa)

Also what's a good damage benchmark for a low magic game where ToB classes are rare, because if I'm calculating this correctly it seems way over the top.

Gandariel
2011-12-31, 03:34 AM
I think you have too many attacks.. what exactly is your "off hand" attack? (Especially since it mentions that there's no such think as an off'hand unarmed attack)
Also are you sure you can use unarmed strikes in bear form?

Anyway at level 20 ubercharger builds are doing more than that:
Two-handed weapon for Much more Power Attack damage, charge on a mount with a Valorous lance for multiplied damage, also Frenzied berserker i think adds more...

I'm not posting the exact numbers because i don't know them :P
anyway it was more than one thousand..

Also why Combat expertise and trip? you don't benefit much from that(no reach weapon)

candycorn
2011-12-31, 03:42 AM
I think you have too many attacks.. what exactly is your "off hand" attack? (Especially since it mentions that there's no such think as an off'hand unarmed attack)It says that there is no off hand attacks for MONKS.

However, unarmed strike is a weapon. You may not select that weapon as both main hand and off hand, any more than you could use a single longsword for both.

Also are you sure you can use unarmed strikes in bear form?Any form can use unarmed strike.

Note, however, that using shock trooper requires you charge. If something's above you, you can't charge it (since any flight other than perfect maneuverability moves up at half speed, and half speed prevents charging).

If you can't see it at the start of your turn, you can't charge it.

If you can attack it with 5 feet of movement only, you can't charge it.

If you provoke an AoO, and it trips or grapples you, so much for your charge.

In other words, charge is a fragile mechanic, especially at high level.

Add on that most creatures at level 20 will have at least 40 AC, and your power attack will not really be usable outside of charge. And that's the vast majority of your damage.

Gandariel
2011-12-31, 08:02 AM
It says that there is no off hand attacks for MONKS.

However, unarmed strike is a weapon. You may not select that weapon as both main hand and off hand, any more than you could use a single longsword for both.

Any form can use unarmed strike.

Ops, sorry, i didn't know that...
it just didn' make much sense that a bear would punch you and then punch you again (in a different way) and then claw you..
Well it's D&D i guess

Greenish
2011-12-31, 08:54 AM
However, unarmed strike is a weapon. You may not select that weapon as both main hand and off hand, any more than you could use a single longsword for both.Except when you can. Such as when you take the City Brawler barb ACF from Dragon Magazine that specifically allows you to TWF with unarmed strikes (and unarmed strikes only).

If it's the ACF I'm thinking off.

Regardless of the confusing rules, Snap Kick (ToB feat) would be better, though. For unarmed, it works much like TWF, but there's no ambiguity, and it works on all attacks, not just full attack.