PDA

View Full Version : Skirmish without Scout?

Rossebay
2011-12-29, 08:55 PM
So, I'm trying to build an SotAO Mystic Ranger that goes into Swiftblade, and I'm realizing that I'm going to fall behind in melee damage output at later levels.

Then I noticed Swiftblade's Skirmish-type bonuses, and now I want to know, is there any way to get Skirmish without sacrificing any ranger levels? I mean ANY way? Substitution levels, racial abilities, etc.?

Yuki Akuma
2011-12-29, 08:57 PM
I'm afraid you'll probably just have to dip a level of Scout and then take Swift Hunter to let your Ranger levels count towards Skirmish progression.

gkathellar
2011-12-29, 09:26 PM
You can get Skirmish without scout, but you can't get it without giving up any ranger levels, and Scout is the most practical way to do it.

If you're really devoted to Skirmish, try Scout 3/Mystic Wildshape Ranger 8/Swiftblade 9, with Swift Hunter and SotAO. That'll get you Fleshraker form, which can make Skirmish quite valuable through the use of leaping pounce.

I'm afraid you'll probably just have to dip a level of Scout and then take Swift Hunter to let your Ranger levels count towards Skirmish progression.

You need at least 3 levels of Scout to get Swift Hunter, IIRC.

Manateee
2011-12-29, 09:26 PM
Step 1. Polymorph into a Tirbana Slayer (MM4 MM5) before you level up.
Step 2. Take Swift Hunter.
Step 3. Use ghost levels to maintain Skirmish progression.
Step 4. Duck the oncoming DMG.

hex0
2011-12-29, 10:05 PM
You need at least 3 levels of Scout to get Swift Hunter, IIRC.

You could also do a build that used Dragon Devotee instead of Scout...but that would mean not being a Ranger (most likely). If your DM allowed you to take +1 existing class instead of +1 sorcerer, it may be more viable than Scout though. :/

Darrin
2011-12-30, 08:39 AM
Then I noticed Swiftblade's Skirmish-type bonuses, and now I want to know, is there any way to get Skirmish without sacrificing any ranger levels? I mean ANY way? Substitution levels, racial abilities, etc.?

There is a way to get Skirmish without Scout, but it will cost you some Ranger levels. 4 levels of Highland Stalker (which is essentially Ranger with Skirmish) lets you take Swift Hunter, and you can fill out the rest of your levels with Ranger.

To get into Highland Stalker, you need some Ranger levels (sounds like you got that covered) and either Skirmish or Sneak Attack as a class feature. So start with Ranger 4, toss on a level of Simple (Sneak Attack) Fighter or a dip into Ronin, take Highland Stalker 4, pick up Swift Ambusher at ECL 9, and finish off with Ranger +11. (Actually, I think Highland Stalker 6/Ranger +9 gets better Skirmish damage). Here's a sample build:

Ranger 4/Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Highland Stalker 4/Ranger +3/Highland Stalker +2/Ranger +6
Race: Human, Azurin, Strongheart Halfling, Frostblood Orc/Half-Orc
Feats:
1) Travel Devotion, PB Shot, Track
2) Rapid Shot
3) Precise Shot, Endurance
6) Improved Rapid Shot
9) Swift Hunter
11) Manyshot
12) Greater Manyshot
15) Improved Skirmish
18) Travel Devotion, Improved Precise Shot

TWF might look something like:
Feats:
1) Travel Devotion, Combat Reflexes, Track
2) TWF
3) Craven*
4) Endurance
6) Staggering Strike*
9) Swift Hunter
11) Improved TWF
12) Double Hit
15) Improved Skirmish
18) Robilar's Gambit, Greater TWF
* = assumes taking Sneak Attack Fighter early, switch to Power Attack/Oversize TWF or Improved Unarmed Strike/Snap Kick according to personal tastes.

Mystic Ranger delays your combat style a level, but is mostly the same:
Feats:
1) Travel Devotion, PB Shot, Track
3) Rapid Shot, Precise Shot
4) Endurance
6) Improved Rapid Shot
9) Swift Hunter
12) Manyshot, Greater Manyshot
15) Improved Skirmish
18) Travel Devotion
19) Improved Precise Shot

You could cut out the Sneak Attack Fighter level and try something like Ranger 16/Highland Stalker 4 by picking up Sneak Attack with Martial Study + Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance, but Swift Ambusher comes in very, very late. Your Initiator Level isn't high enough to pick up Assassin's Stance until ECL 10, but you don't get a bonus feat until ECL 12. So you don't qualify for Highland Stalker until Ranger 12, you don't have Skirmish 1d6/+1 AC until ECL 16, and can't take Swift Ambusher until ECL 18. And before Curmudgeon chimes in, there's also the issue that Assassin's Stance may not strictly be considered Sneak Attack as a "class feature".

If all you're after is more Skirmish damage, then there are better ways to get that than Ranger levels, namely Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4. You can actually get it up to 10d6 with Improved Skirmish, just about on par with a Rogue 20 or Daring Outlaw build. Finish off with a dip into Spellsword and you wind up with 6th level Sorcerer casting, although that may not measure up well to all those lost Mystic Ranger levels.

GnomeGninjas
2011-12-30, 08:44 AM
I don't know if this helps but the racial substitution level for halfling monk gives skirmish.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-30, 01:47 PM
To get into Highland Stalker, you need some Ranger levels (sounds like you got that covered) and either Skirmish or Sneak Attack as a class feature.
You could cut out the Sneak Attack Fighter level and try something like Ranger 16/Highland Stalker 4 by picking up Sneak Attack with Martial Study + Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance
Sneak attack from a feat isn't sneak attack as a class feature.

Darrin
2011-12-30, 01:55 PM
Sneak attack from a feat isn't sneak attack as a class feature.

Oh, don't worry. I made sure to out-ninja you at the end of the second-to-last paragraph.