PDA

View Full Version : Thaelos, yet another campaign setting

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:00 AM
I got a bit bored over the holidays and started brainstorming a campaign setting. It is a WIP, and I'd appreciate your help.

I want it to be pretty loose and expandable with most D&D material, and really it's pretty generic and can be transferred to most conventional fantasy settings.

I plan to use it in a game I'm running for some friends. I haven't quite figured out their antagonists, I'm between drow and undead. I actually started writing this campaign after reading Krimm Blackleaf's Nation of the Dead (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2279940), which is really awesome.

Tell me what you think!

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:01 AM
In the beginning, Thaelos (Tay-los) was a playground for the Old Ones, the beings who wrestled the planes into a semblance of order from the primordial chaos. Taking a portion of the infinite depths of the elemental plane of Water and layering it upon a section of the cavernous plane of Earth, warmed by the smallest bit of elemental Fire, they warped and molded their creation into a sphere, placing a thin layer of Air on top. A tiny soap bubble in the vast expanses of the planes, it was toyed with then forgotten.

The Old Ones, now commonly referred to as the Titans, were ____ of ineffable motive and thought. Many assume them mad from the ____ of their creations. Relatively little is known about the Titans, for only myths and legends remain to teach us of them. Their earliest creations, gibbering creatures that still roam the depths of the earth, are certainly mad and reasonless. Only these horrors know how long the Titans tinkered with Thaelos before disappearing to unknown pursuits, and they are in no position to tell us. Their most notable (and numerous) extant creation, the illithid, are also the most rational and insidious. Deep underground, they worship their elder brains and perverse gods, lurking and plotting incursions to the surface.

Above the ground, long after the Old Ones departed, other forms of life have emerged and flourished. The gods claim that they were unintended side effects of the Old One's creation of sentient life, and unlocked the secrets of creation on their own. The most prominent races are Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, although many other species exist.

Just over twelve hundred years ago, the Drow revealed themselves to the surface dwellers. Their first foray onto the surface was a massive invasion several hundred years after their inception. After building a large empire deep underground, they slowly moved upwards, colonizing new areas, displacing ancient civilizations, tapping spots of magical power, and building their might. When they finally reached the surface they swarmed across all of Thaelos, killing thousands and destroying nations. All the races became embroiled in the Drow War, and the wounds created by that war are still healing. The powerful magics of the Drow coordinated and facilitated a synchronized and deadly assault. Information divined and gathered by Drow Clerics and Illithid spies identified weak points. Drow wizards teleported strike forces to assassinate powerful leaders across the world, and wave after wave of warriors emerged from the underdark like ants from the depths. The initial strike was massively successful and left the surface confused and beheaded. The war waged on for several years after, with a hastily mounted resistance barely able to survive. The death toll was massive, and all of civilization almost collapsed in the first two years. Gradually the remaining nations were able to pull together and mount a strong offense, pushing the Drow back beneath the surface and closing off their tunnels. Thaelos was left to nurse her wounds and try to move on, but the war will never be forgotten.

The terrain of Thaelos is extremely varied. The main continent is ____, a vast expanse of rolling hills, deep forests, and high mountains. Named the cradle of civilization, it is the largest land mass on the planet, extending far to the north and south. The far north is tundra and taiga, inhabited only by nomadic tribes and a few small dwarven colonies. Much of the land is unclaimed or has been abandoned since the Drow Invasion. The only nation of note is Rhontu, an insular outpost of humans whose only import is slaves and only export is metals.

The land further south is a mix of boreal forest, rocky coast, and cold plains known as the Desolates. The east side of this area is known for its cliffs and fjords, and is claimed by ____, a pragmatic nation of hearty souls. This area is known for its plain but beautiful woodwork and masonry. It's capitol, Cliffside, is perched high above the sea and is a major foundry of magical artifacts and warforged. Further west is the expansive First Forest, Lörvalrossan in elven, still populated by descendants of the original wood elves. The thousands of hectares of forest are unknown to all but the elves who live there, and it is dangerous to leave the well worn trail which leads north to south. The west side of the continent is much more forgiving, foothills which slope gently down to the ocean. The rocky soil is unforgiving, and agriculture is tough. A large number of half-elves have live in this region, most of them unable to bear living with their full blooded kin any longer. The area is known for its natural hot springs and extensive network of caverns, many of which lead to the underdark.

The land below the Desolates is much more gentle and forgiving. The First Forest gives way from pines to deciduous trees to mighty redwoods. It is here that the High Elves have established their kingdom. Vertallorven covers the huge area that encompasses the lower reaches of the First Forest all the way to the eastern coast, crossing mountains, valleys, hills, and shore. The former capitol, nestled where the forest just begins to thin, was all but destroyed by the Drow, including the first College of Magic. Grim magic called by the elves to defend their homeland still animates all who perish in the area to defend the ruined city and hungry ghosts haunt all who come near. To the west are the steep Spined Peaks, the ancestral home of the Dwarves. These mountains are rich in ores and gems, and Dwarves and humans alike live, craft, and trade in cities carved directly into the stone of the mountains.

Further south still is the __Fantasy name for equator?__, where the terrain yet again changes. Forests give way to jungles and mangroves, plains to savannah, and rocky coast to thousands of miles of beaches. It is here that the First Empire of Man was formed, although now all that is left are the 13 city states. The most populous region on the continent, the space between nations has been reconquered by monsters, and only the most traveled routes are safe enough not to require protection. At the tip of the continent is a massive jungle, swampy, hot, and teeming with all sorts of life. The humans say they haven't colonized it because the ground is too swampy to support their grand architecture, but really it is because they don't want to start a war with the orcs who live there.

The coasts of Thaelos are dotted by a number of small islands, many of which were untouched by the Drow War. Some are uninhabited, others only small outcast or savage villages. A few are pirate havens or island nations. The largest island, ____, located just above __the equator__ is one of the few untouched elven nations, and their University is renowned for its ancient library and magical studies.

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:02 AM
== Races
=== Elves
The first denizen of the surface were the elves, created by ((god of elves and forest)) before recorded history. Over the ages they have progressed from primal forest-dwellers to an ancient, proud race. The first elves were created of and for the forest. __GOD__ created them to expand the forests of the world, to tend to the oldest of the groves, and to protect the balance of nature. However, as time progressed, various factions started to grow in their ranks. The race gradually split, goaded by the emergence of the other races into the wood elves, seeking to fulfill their original goal, and High Elves exploring other pursuits. Since then, more __splits__ have occurred, leading to the diverse variety of races found now.

==== Wood Elves
Few wood elves remain on __continents__, and their domain has been reduced by the expansion of other races. Still deeply in tune with nature, they haunt the forests of Thaelos, enforcing their rules and defending it against those who seek to defile their woods. Their culture is primal, eschewing arcane magic in favor for divine. Their cities, located high in the trees, serve as look out points and forts. Many an incursion from the underdark has been defeated by a precise strike by these elves. They favor paths which bring them closer to the forest and their gods: rangers, scouts, druids, shaman, and clerics.

==== High Elves
The so called "High Elves" are the descendants of the Wood Elves, those who decided that they wanted to pursue endeavors other than defending their ancestral home. Moving out of the forest, they claimed the __Light forest??__ as their domain and began to build their civilization. Thousands of years later, many of their original cities still stand. They were the first race to take arcane magic and expand upon it, transforming sorcery into wizardry and establishing the precedence of modern spellcasting. Most High Elves dabble in magic, or take advantage of their dexterity and litheness, choosing the path of the wizard, sorcerer, archer, or rogue.

==== Drow
The origins of the Drow are unknown to most. To most they came from nowhere, emerging suddenly from the underdark to terrorize the surface. The true story of their creation is known to very few; it was the illithid who captured and enslaved a number of elves, bringing them deep into the subterranean world of the underdark. Whether they escaped or were let free is unknown, but a number of elves were trapped, lost and ____ deep underground. Slowly but surely they changed into the twisted parody of the wood elves they started as. Their transformation was quickened by a group of mind flayers who took an interest in their forsaken outpost, and ensured their descent into madness. While they were united for the time before their invasion, they have split into differing nations, often at war, since. They favor twisted parodies of their parent race, rangers, dark clerics, and even barbarians.

=== Dwarves
Dwarves, a race nearly as ancient as elves, are also found across Thaelos. Borne of the mountains, they are sturdy, resolute, and stubborn. They take pride in their craftsmanship and were the first engineers. Although humans have given them a run for their money in pure ingenuity of creation, the dwarves are still known for perfection of their work. They are also a major economic force, for they have amassed huge stores of gold and precious gems mined from their domains, and are known for their mercantile savvy.

Dwarves all over the world are nearly the same, some say they are too stubborn to ever change. Almost as old as the elves, they have built a solid and enduring culture, favoring hard work, duty, and faith. The term "steady as a dwarf" is a common saying in Thaelos, and they are proud of this distinction from the other races. They were hit hard by the Drow invasion, and many of their ancient homes were destroyed or defiled, infiltrated from below. Even now their numbers haven't recovered. Many Dwarves are fighters, artificers, or clerics.

=== Human
The race of Men also has its roots in ancient times, although they have come to power somewhat recently. Originally little more than animal, they roamed the plains of Thaelos for millennia before achieving sentience. The elves suspect that they were uplifted into prominence by a God (how else could such a base creature become the most populous race on the planet), but this has never been confirmed and humans relegate this to typical elven superiority. No matter what prompted their transformation, it has allowed them to dominate much of Thaelos. Their firm grasp of magic, cooperativity, and extreme adaptability has allowed them to spread further than any other civilization can claim.

Anthropologists of all races agree, the key to human success has been their drive to expand coupled with ambition and a short lifespan. Capped at 100 years, they have made more progress in 80 generations than elves or dwarves have made in 300. Human wizards boast that while elves created magic as an art, they have advanced it as a science. While Dwarven handiwork is worth more, human ingenuity has led to the dome, mill, and irrigation. This is not without a cost. Human history is one of bloodshed and strife. The First Empire of Man (a ruthless totalitarian dictatorship) was shattered by the Drow War, but in the centuries since, countless new nations have been formed (and often disappeared). Humans have recovered better than any other race since the Drow invasion, and now their influence is larger than ever.

=== Orc
It is thought that Orcs are a distant cousin of Humans, although both sides would argue vehemently against this. Not nearly as successful, their primary territories are the jungles of Thaelos. Brutal but fair, they ____ power and have a strict code of honor. Few in number, they have maintained their supremacy of the jungle through tactical knowledge, martial force, and a fair amount of cunning.

There is little worse to an Orc than to bring dishonor to his name. Fierce fighters, an Orc is engrained from birth into Khanto Perito, literally the Way of Glory. The least numerous of the civilized races, their jungle home is dangerous and even more wild than the deep forests of the elves. Their empire is built upon strength and ____ to their code. They are given little credit by the other races, but they are organized, dedicated, and wily. They were the least affected by the Drow invasion, the few raids able to make their way into the jungle were quickly defeated and strategies devised by the Orcs were instrumental in the ____ which won the war. Orcs tend towards marital prowess, fighters, barbarians, and martial adepts as well as divine casters such as shaman or favored souls.

=== Warforged

=== Dragonborn

=== Monekypeople

=== Planetouched
==== Tiefling
==== Aasimar

=== Add a psionic race or two?

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:03 AM
== Nations
=== Rhontu - dwarves mistrust as they are a competitor for metals. Something insidious is going on. (Inspiration: magical North Korea)

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:04 AM
== Sources of power
=== Arcane
=== Divine
=== Psionics
=== Binding
=== Martial Maneuvers
=== Incarnum?

== Gods

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:05 AM
Reserved for great justice

Overshee
2011-12-30, 12:06 AM
Reserved, although this may be a bit ambitious.

Machinekng
2011-12-30, 12:25 AM
I like the idea of using Drow as antagonists.

Their prescene and the Drow War should shape many things on Thaelos.

A related idea, during the Drow war, Drow war parties and raiding parties popped out of the ground everywhere, and tunneling under the enemy's feet was one of their primary stategies.

Need to take out a fortress? Tunnel into it. Better yet, make a giant sinkhole and collapse the whole thing into the ground.

This gives me another idea, look to the Locust from the Gears of War setting, an enigmatic race that also one day suddenly emerged from the earth to ravage civilization.

How well are the overworlders prepared for a another drow incursion? Are they paranoid, or are they lax?

How do the Illithids now relate with the Drow? Are they still on good terms? If not, maybe the Illithids see the Drow as a failure, with their constant in-fighting, and are now looking for a new stock to corrupt and use as servitors(i.e. Humans. Inspiration: Mass Effect 2) Maybe the Illithids want to do things more subtly this time around, and conquer civilization from within. What are their motivations anyway?

What's the tech level? It seems standard High Medieval from your post.

Campaign threat:
-A charismatic leader has begun to unite the Drow.
-The Illithids have begun to kidnap thousands in order to bred a new army of conquest.
-The Drow, after failing to conquer the surface, began to expand downwar, and they dug too deep...
-Due to drow tunneling, large sections of land sometimes collaspe into the underdark, and the PCs' adventuring base is next if they don't do anything.
-A tyrant is trying to broker an alliance with a Drow nation. For their help in conquering his enemies, they get a free foothold on the surface.

Overshee
2011-12-30, 01:09 AM
Drow and Illithid are some of my favorite creatures, and I really love the underdark.

The war was a long time ago, and I was imagining that most nations have become at least somewhat more lax. I haven't written up my nations yet (honestly I think I need to make a map to help me wrap my head around it, which means it won't happen till I get home back to my real computer), but most at this point will probably be pretty vulnerable.

Tunneling under castles and fortresses are exactly the tricky tactics I'd imagine the Drows to use!

I think the Drow were a pet project of the Illithid that started as a sadistic little diversion and became quite a promising prospect. The Illithid were barely involved in the invasion but if I do choose to use the Drow as the primary antagonists the Illithid will be much more involved. They will first attempt to unify the Drow, first by coercion then by force. I don't think the Illithid would want to reveal themselves quite yet, at least not until the Drow bring them more slaves. Their motivations aren't rational. I would think that they just hate everything and everyone, and probably want to enslave them ore better yet drive them all mad.

I definitely want my players to discover that the Drow were created by the Illithid.

Tech level is standard High Medieval, although I think Magic has flourished and allows a fair bit of 'technology.' I was also imagining airships because they're cool, if I can figure out a way to work them in

Thanks for the campaign ideas, I particularly love the last one!

Machinekng
2011-12-30, 01:24 AM
Other iddeas.

The dwarves, being long-lived, stubborn, and good engineers, have created a secret 'Drow-proof' stroghold somewhere. It would essentially be a lead-lined mountain with enough stockpiles to last for months, along with possessing an arsenal of magical weaponry. Too bad the dwarves forgot where it is. (Not having maps that lead to its location, while conductive to hiding it, is less than conductive in getting to it.)

I think the dwarves would be the most paranoid about the Drow, since the Darves have an innate connection to the earth, and the drow come from beneath it.

Maybe sometime after the Drow War, therewas a schism in Dwarfdom in how to deal with the drow. Some dwarves wanted to fortify their homes against another attack, whle other Dwarves wanted to migrate to someplace inaccessible to the Drow. Those who left became nomads, seeking a fabled paradise that the Drow cannot touch. The Nomad Dwarves have taken to nautical ship building in order to facilitate their wanderings, and have also began to build airships as a sure-fire way to escape the Drow.