PDA

View Full Version : Do as my lord commands! [PF]

Strormer
2011-12-30, 01:12 AM
Right, so we're starting a PF game and I'm dm'ing and playing the healer of the group. I wanted him to be a little different from the normal cleric so in addition to healing excessively I want him to fling around a little mind control/coercion magic. I remembered from 3.5 there was a cleric domain for the Dracolyte PrC called the Domination Domain. It seems to be fine for a normal cleric to have access to it as it provides power roughly even with other domain power levels. My questions are these:
1) I know that PF has done away with XP costs in spells so what would be appropriate to replace the 500XP cost of Monstrous Thrall (a stupid powerful level 9 spell).
2) What granted powers should I give the domain.
3) Is this a good idea? It doesn't add too much that the cleric doesn't already have access to and it fits the character's theme, but I'm not completely sure. If you don't like this, any suggestions?

The last piece of information that I want to share is that every player has one powerful magical item (or similar) that is unique to them and, while it may have combat applications, doesn't grant an overt power boost. The item that my cleric will have, which is actually a story tool, is a small dagger I'm calling the "oathblade." It has the ability to cast Lesser Geas on any willing creature without a saving throw, due to the willing thing, as well as Geas/Quest once per month using the same rules, but with the exception that no more than one creature can be under the Geas/Quest spell at any given time while any number of creatures can be under Lesser Geas at any given time.

Bhaakon
2011-12-30, 01:27 AM
Monstrous Thrall was already changed in the 3.5 Spell Compendium to drop the XP cost (and lower the duration to 24 hours/level).

Also, the Charm Domain does most of the same things as the Domination Domain, with the benefit of being Pathfinder RAW.

Curious
2011-12-30, 01:28 AM
The Charm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/charm-domain) (Love (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/charm-domain/love)) Domain does a pretty good 'mental domination' thing.

Strormer
2011-12-30, 01:45 AM
I looked at the charm domain, but I thought it came across as too "pretty." I want straight up, terrifying presence type feel. I could re-fluff it, but I knew about the other domain so I figured I'd see what the playground thought.
I think I want the level 8 granted power to be frightful presence just as the bestiary describes it, but I'm not sure if that's too powerful or not.

Strormer
2011-12-30, 03:54 AM
Here's what I've built so far:
Domination Domain
Deities: Iomede, Abadar, Asmodeus
Granted Powers: You exude strength and a presence so severe that those around you recoil in fear.
Eyes of Authority (Su): At 1st level the cleric gains a gaze attack which can be used as a standard action a number of times equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier. The targeted creature makes a Will save versus 10 + ½ your cleric level + your Charisma modifier. If the save is failed the target is dazed for 1 round. If the save is successful the target cannot be affected by the cleric’s gaze attack for 24 hours. This gaze attack cannot be used as a passive attack, but must be a targeted attack action.
Aura of Domination (Su): At 8th level the cleric gains the frightful presence ability as per page 300 of the Pathfinder Bestiary. As a swift action you may exert your presence as an aura with a range of 30ft. The DC to resist is 10 + ½ your cleric level + your Chrisma modifier. This aura may be active for a total number of rounds equal to your cleric level. The rounds do not need to be consecutive, and you can dismiss the aura at any time as a free action. Each attempt to use this ability consumes 1 round of its duration, whether or not any creatures succeed on its save to resist the effect.
Domain Spells: 1st – Command, 2nd – Enthrall, 3rd – Suggestion, 4th – Dominate Person, 5th – Command, Greater, 6th – Geas/Quest, 7th – Suggestion, Mass, 8th – True Domination, 9th – Monstrous Thrall

The spells are either already PF RAW or easily upconverted. I'm more looking for opinions on the Granted Powers.