PDA

View Full Version : Might&Magic Heroes VI

Ninjaman
2011-12-30, 07:10 AM
I thought we needed a thread for this. It is about everything Might&Magic Heroes VI related: tactics advice, fan art or it could even be used to exchange usernames and play together in-game.

My M&M H VI name is: Ninjamanhammer

warty goblin
2011-12-30, 07:02 PM
I generally like Heroes VI, the mechanics feel nicely developed, it looks pretty, and the art style gets the right amount of stylized fantasy without being ridiculous. My only real complaints are that 1) the stupid cursor keeps flickering, and 2) it's nearly impossible to protect your squishier stacks during tactical battles. Enemy movement is fast compared to the size of the map, and the lack of any sort of zone of control means that most battles involve my foes beating the snot out of my archers/healers despite my best efforts. I think Disciples III got the speed/map size balance down a little better, since there it was usually hard to break through, but archers were somewhat less powerful.

Ninjaman
2011-12-31, 05:14 AM
Try using reinforcement on your archers.

But i don't really have that much problem defending my archers, they will come into melee at some point though.

Morty
2011-12-31, 08:20 AM
2) it's nearly impossible to protect your squishier stacks during tactical battles. Enemy movement is fast compared to the size of the map, and the lack of any sort of zone of control means that most battles involve my foes beating the snot out of my archers/healers despite my best efforts. I think Disciples III got the speed/map size balance down a little better, since there it was usually hard to break through, but archers were somewhat less powerful.

I've only played the demo, but I noticed that too. The AI focuses almost entirely on archers and casters, and it's much harder to protect them than in the previous games, it seems.
As for the game itself, it wasn't bad. I'm somewhat ambivalent about the assorted mechanical changes - some are good, others I'm not so sure about.

Cespenar
2011-12-31, 08:59 AM
Having the Tactics skill goes a good way for protecting your archers and healers.

Also helping are the Heal and Regeneration spells. In every campaign ever.

warty goblin
2011-12-31, 10:25 AM
Having the Tactics skill goes a good way for protecting your archers and healers.

Tactics helps a lot, but I can't help feeling that the lack of ways to restrict enemy movement in general decreases the tactics considerably. Flying for instance feels mostly pointless instead of powerful, because all of my dudes can already go pretty much wherever they want.

Ninjaman
2011-12-31, 11:19 AM

I always have Tactics 2 and either one of the spells before lv 10. Reinforcements are great too.

I've only played the demo, but I noticed that too. The AI focuses almost entirely on archers and casters, and it's much harder to protect them than in the previous games, it seems.
As for the game itself, it wasn't bad. I'm somewhat ambivalent about the assorted mechanical changes - some are good, others I'm not so sure about.

I like most of them, but i hope that they will include multiple upgrades for creatures in an update or expansion. I would like to see Tears/ blood upgrades for every creature.

Tactics helps a lot, but I can't help feeling that the lack of ways to restrict enemy movement in general decreases the tactics considerably. Flying for instance feels mostly pointless instead of powerful, because all of my dudes can already go pretty much wherever they want.

I feel it helps in battles with many stacks, terrain, and sieges.

Vitruviansquid
2011-12-31, 10:56 PM
I must say, after playing King's Bounty where typical units needed 3 turns to get across the map, this game feels like everyone's zipping around the map on crack. Even in HOMM 5, I remember how it took forever for slow units like Squires to get across the map.

Ninjaman
2012-01-01, 06:17 AM
I must say, after playing King's Bounty where typical units needed 3 turns to get across the map, this game feels like everyone's zipping around the map on crack. Even in HOMM 5, I remember how it took forever for slow units like Squires to get across the map.

Wich is wierd since the map is the same size and stacks have the same move. Unupgraded orcs have 3 i think.

Zen Master
2012-01-01, 08:16 AM
I must say, after playing King's Bounty where typical units needed 3 turns to get across the map

That's one of the reasons I stopped playing King's Bounty. That, and the fact that I found it far too grindy - as in, if takes too long to build up for forces needed to win battles. A single map could take hours on end. Of waiting.

Vitruviansquid
2012-01-01, 08:38 PM
I believe the initiative system in HOMMV made certain slow units even slower, since they got fewer than the average number of turns.

edit: Pit Fiends/Lords are the laziest *******s ever. :smallmad:

KingofMadCows
2012-01-01, 09:32 PM
Most creatures in Heroes 1 through 4 weren't that fast either.

Ninjaman
2012-01-02, 06:24 AM
I believe the initiative system in HOMMV made certain slow units even slower, since they got fewer than the average number of turns.

edit: Pit Fiends/Lords are the laziest *******s ever. :smallmad:

Propperbly.
And what is your problem with Pit lords?

Mx.Silver
2012-01-02, 06:57 PM
That's one of the reasons I stopped playing King's Bounty. That, and the fact that I found it far too grindy - as in, if takes too long to build up for forces needed to win battles. A single map could take hours on end. Of waiting.

AKA 'Disciples Syndrome'

Propperbly.
And what is your problem with Pit lords?
They have low initiative, one would assume.

Ninjaman
2012-01-03, 04:02 AM
They have low initiative, one would assume.

The fiends have 45. That is quite good. And they also have 7 speed and can teleport. And hatefull retaliation and that hit everyone fire spell are just nasty. Also immunety to mind spells is very good, and i can't have it's morale decreased, which means you won't fin it stuck becourse of despair.

Vitruviansquid
2012-01-03, 09:46 AM
That comment was made in reference to HOMMV Pit Fiends, who had the same initiative as Horned Overseers (IIRC) and terrible speed to match.

I'm not saying they were a bad unit overall (in fact, they beat the hell out of most other tier 6 units in my opinion), but they were lazy as all get out.

Ninjaman
2012-01-03, 10:16 AM
That comment was made in reference to HOMMV Pit Fiends, who had the same initiative as Horned Overseers (IIRC) and terrible speed to match.

I'm not saying they were a bad unit overall (in fact, they beat the hell out of most other tier 6 units in my opinion), but they were lazy as all get out.

Oh, yea they were slow. But they were casters back then, and tribes of the east also made you able to rush.