PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to try cosplaying and need ideas.

PowerGamer
2011-12-30, 08:20 AM
I've always liked anime and dreamed of going to a convention. I was supposed to go last year but couldn't. I'm a tall thin person who needs an idea for an inexpensive cosplay where I can create most of what I need. Limited because I have no sill in metal or leather. I do on the other hand have lots of cardboard!

So please post ideas, links, tips, anything that could help

Thank you

--Edit--

I'm a guy in his teens. You name it I've read it or scene it... I like to many things to choose just one.. I also have dark brown hair, and wear contacts or glasses...

Dr.Epic
2011-12-30, 11:47 AM
Um, could you tell me what you're like to play? Kind of vague. Really, just go with something you'll like going as.

PowerGamer
2011-12-30, 03:05 PM
Sorry to be so vague... I just like so many different shows that I couldn't pick just one character... Some favorites of the top of my head

Zero (code geass)
Edward (FMA)
Akuto Sai (demon king daimon)
Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)

the list goes on and on...

Viera Champion
2011-12-30, 03:09 PM
Oooo! Zero would be tons of fun!

Dr.Epic
2011-12-30, 03:10 PM
Edward (FMA)

Well you said you're tall so I'm not sure about that.

Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)

You need a talking, winged cat.:smallwink:

PowerGamer
2011-12-30, 04:46 PM
zero would b fun... But I need the helmet. I know people who sew so clothes is no issue.

Yes ed is a height problem so I thought Al but all that armor will be hard to make

stuffed animals make great flying cats

Viera Champion
2011-12-30, 05:10 PM
You could try to do a massless Zero. Go dressed up Lelouche. Find some red contacts.

Pokonic
2011-12-30, 05:15 PM
If you buy contacts, get a Sharingan one for giggles. With the right cloths, apperently it makes a fine backup costume.

Recherché
2011-12-30, 06:18 PM
I know people who sew so clothes is no issue.

Not to discourage you but . . . that aspect is likely going to be a lot harder and more expensive than you realize. For starters, patterns aren't available for most cosplays, so you either need to get lucky and find a commercially produced one that's close enough or have a very good seamstress/tailor who can draft their own patterns.
Once you get past that we move on to another issue. Expense. Materials to sew your own cosplays are not cheap. Materials and wig for the Vaarsuvius costume in my avatar cost me around $160. That's not counting any type of labor or shipping, just fabric, notions and wig. Vin (from mistborn) cost around $70 to make and I was able to scavenge a lot of that stuff from thrift stores. Blue (from Wolf's Rain) was around $45 if you don't count the pieces I reused from previous costumes, if you count those it comes closer to $65. Seseri (from ESPGaluda) ended up at more than $175. Mireille (Noir) is at $60 and counting.
The third problem is time; sewing my costumes takes a lot longer than you would think. Vaarsuvius was easy at just over three weeks. Seseri and Vin took two months each.

Not all is lost though, there is a great resource for cosplayers hiding in plain sight, thrift stores. Many is the time that I and other cosplayers I know have wandered into a thrift store with a bunch of reference pictures and have come out with the basics of a costume. While you're unlikely to find Zero premade in a thrift store you could probably be able to scavenge Akuto for a reasonable amount of money in only a few visits and Natsu's pants and scarf should be findable, and making the overskirt and vest wouldn't be too hard. One more to consider is that thrifting the 9th, 10th, and 11th Doctors are usually pretty easy. One of my friends managed to make an entire 11th Doctor in 3 days with a little help from thrift stores.

A few more things to make note of: wearing costume contacts for more than an hour or two can be rather uncomfortable and this place is your friend http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/showcat.php/cat/14.

PowerGamer
2011-12-30, 09:24 PM
Thank you Recurrence for the advice. Yes I know materials are costly and so is labor. I think I'll pass on the doctors... Contacts get expensive when buying prescription. I'm trying to avoid wigs if possible.

Thank you for all the help so far.

Pokonic I don't understand why I'd buy *sharingan eyes even for giggles

Recherché
2011-12-30, 09:43 PM
No problem, if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me; I've been cosplaying for more than a couple of years and if I don't know how to do something myself I can probably point you in the right direction at least. Anyways I can get the dislike of contacts, it took me till last year to finally make the jump and start ordering them. That said they aren't as expensive as you might think especially if you already wear contacts and have a prescription. The prescription versions aren't any more expensive, though they can be harder to find. What I don't get is the dislike of wigs; they're comfortable, long lasting and not actually all that expensive. Taking away wigs would take away over two thirds of the characters I cosplay. Its just kind of limiting especially given how weird anime character's hair can get.

PowerGamer
2011-12-31, 07:13 AM
I don't dislike contacts at all. I use them almost daily. I just don't understand why I'd buy sharingan instead of geass ones.
I don't dislike wigs either, it's an added cost that I may not need if I have enough hair.

Asthix
2011-12-31, 09:53 AM
this was so fun to do and kids absolutely cannot stop paying attention to you.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8574/sbigpicturepile136.jpg

PowerGamer
2011-12-31, 03:15 PM
this was so fun to do and kids absolutely cannot stop paying attention to you.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8574/sbigpicturepile136.jpg

I'm sorry but who and what show is this from?

Recherché
2011-12-31, 04:05 PM

Monster in the Darkness from Order of the Stick would be my guess. I don know that pic insipired the MitD in my OotS cosplay group.

Anyways, I've never been able to find Geass contacts,but Sharingan ones are comparatively easy to get. (Why are all the good animes too obscure for people to make contacts of?)

PowerGamer
2011-12-31, 10:16 PM
The monster from Oots would make sense (I have yet to catch up on it...)

As for geass contacts I have a link somewhere... (going through favorites... dum dee dum dee dum...)
Here we are. No idea how reliable this site is. I had a phaze before I got contacts and this is just one of the fruits of hours spent on Google.
Link (http://www.createibeauty.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=139) This is the best that I've found for geass contacts thus far. And I get one pair!!! ( If you've ever heard off Scalera contacts (spelling), they are about $100 just for one contact)

And as for finding the contacts of good animes. Let me know what your looking for and I can scrounge up something.

Viera Champion
2011-12-31, 11:54 PM
Also, I demand pictures of this when you do it.

OoTLink
2012-01-01, 06:16 AM
Cosplay is pretty darn expensive, but so are the conventions really so meh whatever :D I was hoping to see someone cosplaying Vaarsuvius here and.. yea.. woohooo!

PowerGamer
2012-01-02, 01:47 PM
Yes it's expensive, but it's also fun. As for a Vaarsuvius, I think Recherche's avatar is a cosplay of the elf wizard

PowerGamer
2012-01-09, 05:43 AM
Due to circumstances, I will be working on an Altair cosplay with a different color scheme. Reason being that I can also use it to Larp in. Think of a black and red Altair

Dr.Epic
2012-01-09, 02:07 PM
Cosplay as the the Invisible Man and simply don't go to conventions. It's genus! I kind of want to do this at my school's Halloween party. Sign up for the costume contest as the Invisible Man and simply not show up when they call my name. :smallwink:

thubby
2012-01-09, 03:14 PM
i've cosplayed exactly once in my life, and the simplest thing we came up with was me as pip (hellsing) (http://hellsing.wikia.com/wiki/Pip_Bernadotte) and the rest of them as alucard, seras, and... whats judas priests name?

JonRG
2012-01-09, 09:16 PM
Father Alexander Anderson. :smallbiggrin:

I've always wanted to cosplay, but I tend to feel very out-of-shape when I contemplate it. Also, I'm lazy and it's expensive.

Nibleswick
2012-01-10, 02:01 AM
The more work and time you are willing to put into it the less expensive it gets. I'm working on a suit of Mandalorian armor right now, I'm about twenty dollars in and it should take maybe forty more if take my time.

Mando Knight
2012-01-10, 02:54 AM
The more work and time you are willing to put into it the less expensive it gets. I'm working on a suit of Mandalorian armor right now, I'm about twenty dollars in and it should take maybe forty more if take my time.

...How? The way that comes to mind is to do it like the 501st and the Star Wars films, with vacuum-formed plastic, and I don't know how you could bring that down to $60...

PowerGamer
2012-01-10, 05:31 AM
Dr Epic- Funny, but the point is to go to the event.

Nyarai- I'm in the same situation as you are.

Nibleswick- As much as I want to do the work, I lack skills, experience, and somethings the right tools.

(Sorry for the failed response set up. I cant do multiple quotes on my touchpad)

Nibleswick
2012-01-10, 08:14 PM
The tools I'm using are a dremel, scissors, a pocketknife, disposable paintbrushes, sandpaper, and popsicle sticks.

the Helmet I'm making out of cardboard coated with auto body fiberglass and resin.
The armor I'm making out of foamed PVC sheet (you can get it at sign printing shops, they might have scraps that they would be willing to give you for free)
The other parts I'm going to the local thrift shops to see what I can find that would work.

And when I started I had never done anything like this before. Oh, and I'm doing it in a university dorm.

Mostly I just stumbled across the Madalorian Mercs Costume Club (http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?action=forum) and started looking at their tutorials and other resources and thought, "Even I could do that." and so, here I am.

My Helmet Build thread. (http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=43893.msg610342#msg610342)
My armor build thread (http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=43245.msg600894#msg600894) I haven't done much with my armor in a while cause it's going to wait till my leg is healed up.

PowerGamer
2012-01-11, 03:29 PM
That is very resourceful. I hope your leg heals fast. I truthfully had to look up what a mandalorian merc was... I feel stupid for not knowing. I applaud you oj this task.

My problem is my black Altair needs to be multi purpose. It's main purpose is use in Dagorhir battle games (a form of larp). The clothing is the easier part on this matter. Problem is the leather components. To count as armor it has to be a certain thickness, and that leather gets expensive. I also have no tools or experience for it so I need to ask friends for help with a price tag. This is going to be great when it is done, but expensive (estimating +$100)

Knaight
2012-01-11, 03:36 PM
Your initial idea of Zero should be relatively easy to do. Among other things you can heat PVC, fold it, and cut it. That and some paint is almost all you need to make the helmet, though you do still need the actual semi-transparent mask - which probably isn't that difficult to achieve. I'd go with PVC with two holes cut in it, and then a semi-transparent film (something along the lines of gels used in theater lighting) over the entire mask area, shrunk via heating with a blow dryer.

Note that my information is second hand. My involvement with theater was as a technician and not a costumer, and I don't personally cosplay.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-11, 04:01 PM

How did you not recognize that as a member of this forum?:smallconfused:

Nibleswick
2012-01-11, 07:08 PM
That is very resourceful. I hope your leg heals fast. I truthfully had to look up what a mandalorian merc was... I feel stupid for not knowing. I applaud you oj this task.

My problem is my black Altair needs to be multi purpose. It's main purpose is use in Dagorhir battle games (a form of larp). The clothing is the easier part on this matter. Problem is the leather components. To count as armor it has to be a certain thickness, and that leather gets expensive. I also have no tools or experience for it so I need to ask friends for help with a price tag. This is going to be great when it is done, but expensive (estimating +$100)

Ah, I see. That case If there is a Cabellas or Ranch and Home or other such store near you that would be the best place to look for leather cheep. You can usually find a quarter piece fro around twenty-five dollars.

Alternatively: Poke around here. (http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sr_tc_2_1?node=12897151&ie=UTF8&qid=1326326129&sr=8-2-tc)
For tools most of what you need are sewing supplies, a really sharp knife, and one of these. (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Belt-Watch-Punch-Puncher/dp/B000VSRS1K/ref=sr_1_16?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1326326143&sr=1-16) In some ways it's even easier that sewing. This also might be handy. (http://www.amazon.com/Leathercraft-For-Amateurs-ebook/dp/B005UNYD7I/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1326326129&sr=8-12)

PowerGamer
2012-01-12, 05:55 AM
Knaight-- I feel dumb for not knowing pvc comes in shapes other than pipe... Gods Im so clueless. And never have tried that before... As for the transparent part, thats a good idea. I know about gel ( I get the theatre experience from down in the pit :D ). This idea sounds promising.

Dr. Epic -- I dont know how I didnt recognize it...

Nimbleswick-- I hear theres a leather shop not far from my house. I've never been there though. As for tools, I can barrow tools from people I know that have them, and probable get help from them at the same time

Knaight
2012-01-12, 10:35 AM
Knaight-- I feel dumb for not knowing pvc comes in shapes other than pipe... Gods Im so clueless. And never have tried that before... As for the transparent part, thats a good idea. I know about gel ( I get the theatre experience from down in the pit :D ). This idea sounds promising.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a large pipe turned out to be functional for the helmet, given the design. As for heating it - use an oven. I don't remember the exact temperature.

Nibleswick
2012-01-12, 04:05 PM
Around 200 degrees works. Actually about any temperature will work if you are careful. One of the nice things about pvc is that if you mess up shaping it you can just heat it up and try again.

Knaight
2012-01-12, 05:47 PM
Around 200 degrees works. Actually about any temperature will work if you are careful. One of the nice things about pvc is that if you mess up shaping it you can just heat it up and try again.

Which unit of measurement are we using? Fahrenheit and Celsius are somewhat different to say the least.

Nibleswick
2012-01-13, 12:51 AM
Fahrenheit, basically the lowest setting on most domestic ovens. Or a heat gun works well also.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-01-14, 09:18 AM
Ooo, can we get work in progress pictures?
I'm that person who always plans to cosplay and starts costumes but just...never finishes them.
Right now, I've got parts and pieces for a Sailor Mars cosplay, Kagome (although, this one I've had for so long, I can no longer fit in it), a femme Doctor Horrible, and a femme Tenth Doctor.
This year I plan on adding to the list with Kanaya, dog-tier Jade, and Drunk Mom Lalonde, all from Homestuck :smalltongue:

PowerGamer
2012-01-14, 12:48 PM
There will be progress pictures. Bases on money, time and priorities, the Altair like cosplay/garb is the choice I'll stick will. Zero next year maybe. This is going to be a sort of colaberation project because I have no skills at making things, only designing in theory. So ill post what ever I can once I start. I have like 5 sketches already, just need to talk to my friend who will actually sew it so we can pound out some details. Yay!! I will lost tomarrow if I have time

PowerGamer
2012-01-18, 05:49 AM
Ok, plan is to go out this weekend and buy the fabric for the black Altair... I have no idea on the cost at all and it's bugging me. Oh well. My friend is being nice and is working for $10/hour. I'm so ready for this