PDA

View Full Version : Enchantment protection?

Alleine
2011-12-30, 02:43 PM
I need a cheap and effective way of protecting a low will save barbarian from charm spells and the like. I'm aware of things like the crystal mindarmor mask, but his will save is so low that I'm not even certain it will be worth it. In our last combat he had to roll nat 20's in order to avoid getting hit with suggestion.

Unfortunately the barbarian is not in the best of positions to help himself, having spent all his feats and money on other things. As such it is up to me to come up with something using my knowledge of 3.5 and library of books to save him next time we attempt to assault a drow city. The best I can come up with, however, is a wand of Magic Circle Against Evil and draining all of its charges to keep it up on him continuously.

I've got about 25k to blow, though these are my cut of the loot so using all of it would make me sad, and party composition is Barbarian, Paladin, Warlock/Sorcerer/Theurge, and last but not least, me, a Dragonfire adept. We're all level 11-13 I think. The enchantment spells are likely coming from the source of our next bossfight so caster levels on the spells are relatively high compared to us.

Any more permanent solutions would be much appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Geigan
2011-12-30, 03:05 PM
Well if the DM had a favorite spell(ie suggestion), that he liked to throw at you you could try a spellblade from player's guide to faerun. Add 6k to your weapon of choice, whenever you get hit with that spell you negate it and redirect it on your next turn as a free action. For 15k you could get fear, confused, and stunned effects out of the way with a banner of the storms eye(MiC 150). It would also protect your friends within 20 ft. For other things you should probably just try and boost your saves further. Cloak of resistance is cheap if you didn't already have it. Mindarmor mask is 10k and stacks with the resistance bonus from a cloak. What is your current will save and what modifiers are you dealing with?

edit: Also is you concentration any good? If your group uses ToB you could grab a Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind with a Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver in it. Once per encounter replace your will save with a concentration check as an immediate action, only 3k.

Alleine
2011-12-30, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately a spellblade is a little too specific. I'm not even sure what spell WAS being used on the barbarian because I never put ranks into spellcraft, but it seemed similar to suggestion. For all I know is was an SLA.

The problem with boosting the Barbs will save is that his will is on par with my reflex, which means it's the base save only, or worse because there's no real use in pumping WIS on a barbarian. So optimistically he has a base 4 save, assuming no penalties to WIS. I'm hesitant to try boosting it because while a cloak is cheap, a +5 cloak is most of the gold I've got and won't really help him much since the save is so low to start with. The mindarmor mask is cheaper, but suffers the same problem in effectiveness due to a low base save.

Edit: Oh, that would DEFINITELY be useful. He has a massive con score, which will at the least be better than his piddly will save :P

Incriptus
2011-12-30, 03:19 PM
+3000 gp enchancement of Mindarmor = +5 untyped bonus to mind affecting spells.

My Dwarf Fighter does alright with it
+2 base +2 racial +2 wisdom + 2 cloak + 5 untyped = +13 vs some of the worse offenders.

Douglas
2011-12-30, 03:30 PM
Feats:
Steadfast Determination from PHB2 lets you use constitution instead of wisdom for will saves. Requires Endurance as a prereq, unfortunately.
Shape Soulmeld (Planar Ward) from Magic of Incarnum gives you permanent Protection From Evil.

Magic Item:
The Exalted armor special ability from Book of Exalted Deeds gets you permanent Protection From Evil for a +3 cost. +1 armor (or Bracers of Armor) with this ability would cost 16000.

Alleine
2011-12-30, 03:39 PM
+3000 gp enchancement of Mindarmor = +5 untyped bonus to mind affecting spells.

Sweet, I didn't know about that one. Thanks!

Feats:
Steadfast Determination from PHB2 lets you use constitution instead of wisdom for will saves. Requires Endurance as a prereq, unfortunately.
Shape Soulmeld (Planar Ward) from Magic of Incarnum gives you permanent Protection From Evil.

Magic Item:
The Exalted armor special ability from Book of Exalted Deeds gets you permanent Protection From Evil for a +3 cost. +1 armor (or Bracers of Armor) with this ability would cost 16000.

Sadly the barbarian has used all of his feats on other things :smallannoyed:

Exalted Bracers of armor would be amazing though, I forgot you could up stuff on Bracers of Armor. Thank you!

Geigan
2011-12-30, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately a spellblade is a little too specific. I'm not even sure what spell WAS being used on the barbarian because I never put ranks into spellcraft, but it seemed similar to suggestion. For all I know is was an SLA.

The problem with boosting the Barbs will save is that his will is on par with my reflex, which means it's the base save only, or worse because there's no real use in pumping WIS on a barbarian. So optimistically he has a base 4 save, assuming no penalties to WIS. I'm hesitant to try boosting it because while a cloak is cheap, a +5 cloak is most of the gold I've got and won't really help him much since the save is so low to start with. The mindarmor mask is cheaper, but suffers the same problem in effectiveness due to a low base save.

Edit: Oh, that would DEFINITELY be useful. He has a massive con score, which will at the least be better than his piddly will save :P

Well a 4 is a bad start, but it's not that hard to get something workable off of. Mind armor mask for 10k, resistance cloak +3 9k, mindarmor armor enchant +5k. That'd be an +11 vs most things and +16 vs 3 effects a day which should cover the main boss. It's not invulnerability but it's certainly a fighting chance versus the worst that that boss will probably be capable of.

Question though, why is it your responsibility alone to take care of another player's character? The fact that he hasn't spent his own gold on these things is sort of troubling, and the fact that if it's considered a party problem makes it odd that you're the only one contributing to solve it.

deuxhero
2011-12-30, 04:07 PM
If the barb is getting enchanted into attacking the rest of the party, it is a party problem. TC spending his own money isn't quite as clear cut as buying a Pearl of Power for that all day buff you want, but...

Alleine
2011-12-30, 04:16 PM
Question though, why is it your responsibility alone to take care of another player's character? The fact that he hasn't spent his own gold on these things is sort of troubling, and the fact that if it's considered a party problem makes it odd that you're the only one contributing to solve it.

Because I'm viewed as knowledgeable, and I have the books to look through. Couple that with usually not spending all my gold means I have also tend to lend it to people who need a few extra thousand. Everyone else spends money about as soon as they can get it, while I hoard it in case I need it later. He's also not the best optimizer, hence not having taken any precautions against this sort of thing.

Geigan
2011-12-30, 04:27 PM
Because I'm viewed as knowledgeable, and I have the books to look through. Couple that with usually not spending all my gold means I have also tend to lend it to people who need a few extra thousand. Everyone else spends money about as soon as they can get it, while I hoard it in case I need it later. He's also not the best optimizer, hence not having taken any precautions against this sort of thing.

I guess the hoarding wealth fits a dragon themed class then.:smallwink:

Anyway the RotDM should be a nice quick fix. Add a MW tool if your DM will allow it for an easy +2. More expensive would be 10k for a third eye concentrate for another +10, though at that point you might be better off boosting will saves directly since the concentration check would only cover one effect per encounter. Which do you prefer?

Alleine
2011-12-30, 04:39 PM
Something constant and long lasting is my preference, so I'll probably go with the mindarmor mask + mindarmor enhancement, or the bracers of armor + exalted enhancement if the guy has room for them.

Keld Denar
2011-12-30, 06:18 PM
He's a barbarian, which means he'll probably be raging. You can't make Concentration checks while raging. No check, no Moment of Perfect Mind.

Sorry, that option won't fly.

Glimbur
2011-12-30, 09:07 PM
If you could squeeze out a feat, I am a big fan of Mad Foam Rager from PHB II. It lets you delay an effect on you for one round while you rage. Sometimes it's just long enough.

There's a Mind Vault or something like that in MiC. You can ignore a mind effecting thing in exchange for being dazed on your next round. It hurts, but it beats killing the party.

As an aside, suggestion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/suggestion.htm) isn't generally strong enough to make you attack your own party; that is typically not reasonable and obviously harmful.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-30, 09:18 PM
Protection from Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEvil.htm)would protect against Charm Person and Dominate Person.

Augmental
2011-12-30, 09:31 PM
I'm no optimizer, but I'm pretty sure that based off the rules for making magic items in the SRD, you could make a command word-activated custom item that can cast polymorph as a 7th-level caster once per day for 10080 gp. I don't know any monsters that would grant Enchantment immunity and still be able to use manufactured weapons, though; I'll leave that for others to figure out. If this doesn't work by RAW, feel free to point it out.

Tenno Seremel
2011-12-30, 11:00 PM
There is a Psychic Bodyguard psionic power in Hyperconscious that allows you to make Will saves for target (1 hour/level). You might want to grab some item based on that thing.

Infernalbargain
2011-12-31, 01:00 AM
Well if he doesn't mind being undead, I believe necropolitan will give him a nice batch of immunities that include mind affecting.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-31, 05:31 AM
Well if he doesn't mind being undead, I believe necropolitan will give him a nice batch of immunities that include mind affecting.
Yeah, but it's not so good for tanking as you lose your Con Bonus to hitpoints, are destroyed at 0 rather than disabled, and since you lose your Con all your barbarian abilities, which is a lot of them, based on Constitution take a beating as well.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-31, 03:12 PM
How about the spell Mineralize Warrior (Underdark) ?

The subject of the spell gains the mineral warrior template, and has to 'serve' the caster for a year and a day.
If the barb gets enchanted and told to attack the party, the theurge who cast Mineralize Warrior can then say: "No, you will not attack Me, Bob, or James."

Alleine,
It's nice that you're helping out the party like this. But I hope they're paying you back when you do this. Unless of course your character really is an altruist.

items:
-Crystal of mindcloaking. MiC 25. It's a competence bonus, so it stacks with the standard cloak. 500,4000, and 10000 gp.
-Mindarmor (MiC 13). 3/day 1 round, untyped +5 to will saves. Costs 3000gp
-There's agility and stamina enchantments. I don't see one for wisdom, but it should exist.
They provide 1/3/5 resistance bonuses to reflex and fort. Does not stack with cloak of resistance. But they're a lot cheaper a cloak. 500 for +1. 4500 for +3. And 12500 for +5. (Synergy enchantments require you to buy the lower level ones before you buy the stronger ones.)

Madara
2011-12-31, 03:20 PM
Well, assuming the real problem is that he's attacking the party. You could take him down with a grease spell, since he can't make balance checks while raging. Either way, I think this might help Frenzied Bersterker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77537)...not exactly the same, but it will provide options for upping the will save, and taking down an out of control party member.

Alleine
2011-12-31, 04:02 PM
Alleine,
It's nice that you're helping out the party like this. But I hope they're paying you back when you do this. Unless of course your character really is an altruist.

Ah well, it's all a moot point now. We all got wiped. Fortunately the Barbarian was not the cause of it. The barbarian had enough for a cloak of resistance +5 and I bought him the crystal mindarmor mask. This was enough to keep him from murdering us, but massed archers + 2 young adult deep dragons doing breath weapon strafing runs ended up killing us. :/

Thanks for the help anyway guys. Now I have something to reference the next time a party member decides to play a BSF.

As for my character's motivations, all of my characters tend to be very interested in staying alive. And keeping everyone else alive is a great way to facilitate my continued existence :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2011-12-31, 04:11 PM
Sorry it ended like that. Good luck on next game.

It's why I try to take two [exalted] feats for my clerics when I can. A free rez in the event of a TPK is pretty good.