PDA

View Full Version : Examples of Unintentional Brilliance

Toliudar
2011-12-30, 03:54 PM
In a text-based game environment, the mis-spellings and grammatical flops that we're all prone to are usually glided over without comment. Sometimes, though, they're either so common (the Rouge base class, for example) as to generate ire. And sometimes, they lead down an interesting new pathway.

I just saw a thread for an antie-paladin, which immediately made me want to create a paladin character who was kindly, served tea, and then kicked some serious evil butt. You know, an auntie paladin.

Does anyone else have these moments - when the unintended text overshadows the main throughline of a conversation and lead you down an unexpected and new path? Stories?

Doorhandle
2012-01-01, 03:56 AM
Well, I imagine the crimson pimpernel would be a pretty rougish/roguish type...

Velaryon
2012-01-01, 04:50 AM
Well, in a Star Wars RCR campaign a few years back, one of the PCs had a dual-phase lightsaber, so he wrote "4 meter reach" down in the weapon entry. When I went to read it later, his handwriting was kinda bad so it looked like it said "4 meter roach." A good laugh was had by all... and then the next session the GM had actually statted up a 4 meter roach monster, and we were attacked by a few of them in the lower levels of Coruscant. They were terrifying.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-02, 10:36 PM
One of the guys in my group is notorious for typos. He makes character sheets for his games using a spreadsheet software. Needless to say, this has led to hilarity on numerous occasions, but I think my favorite typo was "marital strike" in place of "martial strike."

Dimers
2012-01-02, 10:41 PM
One of the guys in my group is notorious for typos. He makes character sheets for his games using a spreadsheet software. Needless to say, this has led to hilarity on numerous occasions, but I think my favorite typo was "marital strike" in place of "martial strike."

Prerequisite: weapon proficiency (ball and chain).

Extra_Crispy
2012-01-03, 03:41 AM
In an old D&D game of mine a the group found some magic items. Specifically a potion of SPEED, a DWARF thrower axe, and a wand of RESURRECTION. This one player recorded the items on a party loot page as

A potion of Sped (it had already be used)
A darf thrower axe (so i made up a little fuzzy creature called a darf that this axe threw)
A wand of residue. (the wand that was the bane of all the bath houses in the world)

tribble
2012-01-03, 04:42 AM
In an old D&D game of mine a the group found some magic items. Specifically a potion of SPEED, a DWARF thrower axe, and a wand of RESURRECTION. This one player recorded the items on a party loot page as

A potion of Sped (it had already be used)
A darf thrower axe (so i made up a little fuzzy creature called a darf that this axe threw)
A wand of residue. (the wand that was the bane of all the bath houses in the world)

Now I want an axe that throws dwarves. :P

Killer Angel
2012-01-03, 04:53 AM
This requires a little premise: english is not our native language, but we play almost always with english books. This usually is not a problem, but sometimes we have funny results...
In italian, "piton" is very similar to "pitone" (python).
So, once there was this new player, with its new 1st lev. character, pretending his fighter was accompanied by a trained phyton. When we asked "a phyton? how did you get one?", he pointed the table of goods and services, saying "here! it costs only 1 sp!".

The Random NPC
2012-01-03, 11:32 AM
Now I want an axe that throws dwarves. :P

Cursed item, functions like the dwarven thrower, only it throws the dwarf and causes extra damage to him.

Jay R
2012-01-03, 11:43 AM
My favorite is the one that other game companies started believing. The first edition of D&D was, frankly, an illiterate mess with no proofreading. One of the stats for monsters was supposed to be the percentage chance that it was in its lair. But in the table, this was listed as "% in liar".

So when the Arduin Grimoire came out, from another company, every monster had a percentage chance that it would lie to you.

Rockphed
2012-01-03, 06:01 PM
Back in 2007 someone posted about how their group got enslaves by some lichens. A couple of posts later, someone wrote the following.

Consider, "FEAR ME, ADVENTURING FOOLS! FOR I AM THE TIMELESS LICHEN, GUARDIAN OF THIS TOMB!"

Adventurer: "Did sickly green stain just speak?"

Adventurer 2: "It didn't just speak, it yelled."

Adventurer 3: "Naw, that was more of a manifesto. You don't yell manifestos."

Lichen: "FEAR MEEEEEEE-"

Adventurer 2: "Shut up, moss."

Frankly, a talking Lichen is pretty standard for D&D. I'm surprised there aren't more of them.

Vacant
2012-01-03, 06:07 PM
One of my friends apparently does not know the difference between "patrician" and "partition." This is promising to lead some glorious developments to the economic system in the game.