PDA

View Full Version : Nook, what is it good for?

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-30, 04:35 PM
For Christmas the "big gift" from my parents was a Nook Color to me and my siblings.

I really, really want to like and appreciate and use this gift, since it obviously cost my parents a pretty penny, but I'm just not sure if there's anything I can use it for.

I don't read as often as I nearly should, and I've got plenty of paper books sitting on my bedside table that need reading when I do. I can't remember the last time I've actually bought a book that wasn't One Piece or Fairy Tail manga (even though I read the scanlations, supporting the franchise and all that). Even then, I'm broke after the holidays, so I can't afford much.

I've taken a look at the apps section. The only games I could find were Angry Birds (bleh) and some other forgettable stuff that didn't hold any interest for me.

Is there anything I could actually use this thing for besides a paperweight? I don't want to hurt my mom's feelings and end up not using it or asking to return it. If I could actually use it as a legitimate drawing tablet (something I desperately need at the moment) that'd be something, or maybe some actually worthwhile games? I don't know, I'm at a loss.

Mauve Shirt
2011-12-30, 04:40 PM
Break it, install Android, use it as a tablet computer. It's not going to be a drawing tablet, I'm afraid.

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-30, 04:57 PM
Break it, install Android, use it as a tablet computer. It's not going to be a drawing tablet, I'm afraid.

Well, it doesn't have to be a drawing tablet. I'm just looking for general possible uses for Nooks is all.

Liffguard
2011-12-30, 05:08 PM
If you're short on cash to buy ebooks with then there are plenty of free public domain ebooks floating around.

Weezer
2011-12-30, 07:06 PM
Sadly, if your not going to be using it to read, there isn't all that much use for a device that is primarily an ebook reader. So my first suggestion is get reading :smallamused:
There are plenty of great books in the public domain, project Gutenburg has tens of thousands of them (legally of course) in good quality and a variety of formats, so even if money is tight you'll be able to find something to tickle your fancy.
The next best suggestion I can think of is what Mauve Shirt said, try jailbreaking it and loading android on it. Then you'll have a good quality tablet for general use.

CrimsonAngel
2011-12-31, 10:21 PM
I play music on it while I sleep.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-01-01, 08:37 AM
Second on Project Gutenberg. Remember that public domain classics are still CLASSICS.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-01, 09:00 AM
B&N also has a good deal of classics for free, and others for $.99.

Reluctance
2012-01-01, 10:31 AM
Check the android market (http://market.android.com) to see if there's anything you'd like if you do end up rooting the whole thing. I'm sure there are drawing programs, although I can't guarantee price and quality.

Otherwise, use it as a basic tablet computer. More portable than a laptop, and easier to grope for if you just woke up and don't want to get up out of bed. The E-reader function is honestly secondary. Keeping that screen lit works at cross purposes from having extended read sessions.

KenderWizard
2012-01-01, 12:49 PM
I don't know about Nook specifically, but my partner has an ereader and my chief use for it is to satisfy my newspaper habit when I can't buy the Irish Times (mainly when we're visiting his family in America, or on holiday). Get a subscription to a good newspaper or Time magazine or Nat Geo or some publication that interests you. It doesn't take as much time and energy as reading books because you can skim or just read the short, interesting articles, and you'll suddenly be really well informed!

Mazeburn
2012-01-02, 11:50 AM
Not sure about all the differences between Nook and Kindle, but I've taken to using my Kindle for D&D info. Way less distracting than having a laptop at the table, and less bulky than the actual books. Also works for DMing, you can just convert your documents to PDF. They're also great for reading comics and manga, though it's sometimes hard to find versions for it.

Rawhide
2012-01-02, 12:18 PM
I'm going to second the fact that there is a veritable tonne of free books out there. Project Gutenberg is one such source but the official Nook channels should also have some.

Don't forget that it also supports Wi-Fi, making it a handy portable internet device.