PDA

View Full Version : Reserves of Strength Question

killem2
2011-12-30, 08:10 PM
As a level 2 wizard with +1 cl already, and I cast a +3 version of Reserves of Strength on a Persistent Blade spell, can I after the three rounds of being stunned, cast another reserves of strength persistent blade, and have two going at a time?

In addition should the target die before I can become unstunned, once I come to, can I spend a full round action to cast another persistent blade with the RoS boost, and move the existing one to the same target?

Also, lets say my effective caster level is.. 13 at the time cast a fireball with this feat, does it unlock the cap for say a fireball, which tops out at 10d6, and allow it to jump to 16d6, rather than 13d6?

Jack_Simth
2011-12-30, 08:19 PM
As a level 2 wizard with +1 cl already, and I cast a +3 version of Reserves of Strength on a Persistent Blade spell, can I after the three rounds of being stunned, cast another reserves of strength persistent blade, and have two going at a time?

Yes, you can... although in general, you would have been better off not invoking Reserves of Strength, and just casting the second Persistent Blade right off.

In addition should the target die before I can become unstunned, once I come to, can I spend a full round action to cast another persistent blade with the RoS boost, and move the existing one to the same target?

Nope. Persistent Blade is unusual for a spell in that it requires a standard action to redirect, rather than being the normal move action. So unless you're getting an extra standard action in a round (there are ways, don't get me wrong) you'll want to redirect the first one, and then cast the second.

Also, lets say my effective caster level is.. 13 at the time cast a fireball with this feat, does it unlock the cap for say a fireball, which tops out at 10d6, and allow it to jump to 16d6, rather than 13d6?
That is technically how it's written, although it is extremely unlikely that this is the actual intent.

killem2
2011-12-30, 08:27 PM
I might be confusing standard actions here.

So, instead of invoking RoS, I could cast 2x PBs in one round? Isn't that two standard actions?

And, if so, I can do that, but I can't tell the existing PB to move and cast the other?

dextercorvia
2011-12-30, 08:35 PM

So, instead of invoking RoS, I could cast 2x PBs in one round? Isn't that two standard actions?

And, if so, I can do that, but I can't tell the existing PB to move and cast the other?

No, you can't cast 2 Persistent Blades in a round (usually, unless one is quickened or you have a way to get an extra standard action). Those are two standard actions.

killem2
2011-12-30, 08:37 PM
I see the move one though. I just found that in the PHB spells that require some sort of need to move something to another target is considered a move action, so I see where the move then cast is better.

Jack_Simth
2011-12-30, 10:04 PM

Ah... no.

You're confusing action types.

You can have one standard, one move, one swift, and an unspecified number of free actions.

A full-round action consumes both standard and move.

By two persistent blades, I meant that instead of using a full-round action to boost your caster level by three, at the cost of losing the next three rounds, you cast Persistent Blade normally on round one, and cast persistent blade normally again on round 2. Better output that way.

Redirecting a Persistent Blade, and casting a Persistent Blade, are both standard actions - hence why you couldn't both redirect and cast another when the Stun expires.

killem2
2011-12-30, 10:57 PM
Got it, thanks :).

The only thing that I'm not sure on though, is the redirecting portion:

From the PHB, for spiritual weapon:
Each round after the first, you can use a
move action to redirect the weapon to a
new target. If you do not, the weapon continues
to attack the previous round’s target.
On any round that the weapon switches
targets, it gets one attack. Subsequent
rounds of attacking that target allow the
weapon to make multiple attacks if your
base attack bonus would allow it to. Even if
the spiritual weapon is a ranged weapon, use
the spell’s range, not the weapon’s normal
range increment, and switching targets
still is a move action.

And then again under combat:

Direct or Redirect a Spell
Some spells, such as flaming sphere and spiritual weapon, allow you to
redirect the effect to new targets or areas after you cast the spell.
Redirecting a spell requires a move action and does not provoke
attacks of opportunity or require concentration (see Cast a Spell
under Standard Actions, page 140).

Would this not apply? It uses damn near the same wording. :smalleek:

Jack_Simth
2011-12-30, 11:01 PM
It would, except that there's a pesky issue of specific trumps general.

In general, redirection is indeed a move action. In the specific case of Persistent Blade, however, as the spell text specifies it is a standard action to redirect the spell, it is indeed a standard action.

dextercorvia
2011-12-30, 11:03 PM
That is the general case, but the description of Persistent Blade determines it to be a standard action to redirect -- that is the specific case.

(Generally) A specific rule trumps a general rule in 3.5.

killem2
2011-12-30, 11:11 PM
It would, except that there's a pesky issue of specific trumps general.

In general, redirection is indeed a move action. In the specific case of Persistent Blade, however, as the spell text specifies it is a standard action to redirect the spell, it is indeed a standard action.

Oh son of a bitch, you are right. Damn! Now that makes sense! Sorry!:smallredface: