PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Multiple Dungeon Masters

Chronologist
2011-12-31, 12:01 AM
Normally, I would never consider running or playing in a game with multiple dungeon masters, but here's the thing: I'm burned out. Of the 10 or so people I know who I invite to game, I am the only person any of them considers to be a competent dungeon master. As such, they always want me to run the game, and I'm tired of it. It's fun, but I want to play for a while, and aside from these people, there are very few other players in the area willing to participate in a game.

Unfortunately, they're all pretty terrible dungeon masters (or so they claim).

So, rather than give in or give up, I've decided to start a round-robin D&D game.

The game will be at my house every saturday afternoon to mid evening. Every night, a different player will have prepared an adventure, or a continuation of the current adventure, for everyone to play. There are only 5 rules for DMing.

1) Respect the materials of previous DMs. If they said or did something, you have to respect their decisions in the story and roll with it. If they made the villain of the dungeon a Lich, you can't make him a dragon instead because you think it's cooler. If you use a previous DM's NPC, ask him for permission to use it and to see its stats.
2) You can't run your character when you DM. Your character is indisposed at the time. He still gains experience points as though he was part of the group, however. BUT! You can't allow your character to gain access to any item you give the party when you are DMing.
3) Use published materials in the game, not stuff you make yourself. Of course, if you want to change a rule or mechanic in the game, you can propose the idea to everyone, but the rest of the group has to approve of it before you use it.
4) Don't be a jerk. Everyone is trying to have fun, and you should present a challenge, but don't pull arbitrary rulings, kill characters for no reason, or insert something ridiculous or out of context. You can add your own atmosphere to the game when you run it, but please respect the tone and context of the game.
5) Everyone DMs once, in order if at all possible, until everyone has gone only once. Then we start again, trying to go in the same order if possible. This means that every player must DM at some point, but only once every 5-8 weeks, probably.

Since we're playing Pathfinder, everyone will start between level 3 and 6, as voted on by the players. In order to allow DMs to introduce new material into play, I'm letting every player/DM choose one sourcebook outside of the Pathfinder printed material and include it in the campaign, and to (if they want to) create a race, some miscellaneous equipment, and other odds and ends for the game. Me, I'm including a sourcebook that allows rudimentary technological devices, and I'm making a race of techno-goblins much like the World of Warcraft d20 race.

I'd run the first session to establish the framework. I figure I'll try and start the group as a band of wandering adventurers going from town to town in search of ancient ruins. The actual session would start on a miserable rainy afternoon as the group finds one of these (presumably untouched) ruins after hearing rumors about it from a nearby town. Since I'm using the technology book (which, by the way, any other player can use if they want to, just like I can use their books for my material), I figured a jaunt into a small non-functional outpost for an advanced civilization (which happens to contain a few minor pieces of technology, as well as some Construct guards and vermin) would be a good test of ability for a low-level group. Like a Dwemer/Dwarven ruin in Skyrim, sorta, only grey iron instead of golden metal.

So, what do you think? I figure this method allows everyone to play, while occasionally giving them license to change the way the story is going and try out cool new ideas. With 6-hour game sessions, we can get quite a bit of material done. The rules seem fair enough to me.

onemorelurker
2011-12-31, 01:56 AM
If at all possible, I think you should ask people to try to have their adventures last only one session. If DM A's session ends with the party halfway through a dungeon that she designed, then B might feel unfairly pressured to continue that dungeon, even if he'd rather be running something else.

This is easier said than done, obviously, especially with new DMs. But I don't think it would hurt to figure out how many encounters (of whatever kind) the party can usually make it through a session, and use that as a guideline for how much stuff each DM should include in their adventure.

The way you deal with the PCs of the DMs seems very sensible to me, especially since you've got a big party anyway. The only thing I worry about is that it'll lead to DMs not putting in good treasure because they don't want to have the only PC without shiny new gear. I'm not really sure how you'd deal with that, though...

Kol Korran
2011-12-31, 02:09 AM
- A few thoughts: instead of everyone running a session, i suggest everyone running a small adventure, which may run for a session or a bit more, since you can't really tell if people will finish this leg of the campaign in the allotted time. if the current DM knows that the party will finish his adventure at about early-half of the next session, he tells the DM to prepare.

- it's easier for DMs to plan that way, and laos- people will rely mostly on their own material, and characters won't "disappear and reappear" in mid adventure...

- having many Dms also mean that long term plot is hard to achieve (since then everyone will know about it) and the adventures will be (mostly) independent from one another, though that is quite cool.

- since some of these are either reluctent or (to their words) incompetent DMs i suggest you direct them to various threads that improve DMing, such as the Alexandrien pages or this excellent guide in the sticky section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474)

- be prepared for not that great adventures. this means you guys will need to work on positive criticism, and people need to be patient. otherwise this will fall out.

now to what you wrote

1) Respect the materials of previous DMs. If they said or did something, you have to respect their decisions in the story and roll with it. If they made the villain of the dungeon a Lich, you can't make him a dragon instead because you think it's cooler. If you use a previous DM's NPC, ask him for permission to use it and to see its stats.

a very good rule, but as i mentioned before- this will be made so much easier if each one runs a short adventure.

2) You can't run your character when you DM. Your character is indisposed at the time. He still gains experience points as though he was part of the group, however. BUT! You can't allow your character to gain access to any item you give the party when you are DMing.

quite reasonable. The DMs should prepare for the present group, be aware of that. a lack of a serious healer, skill monkey or the like can seriously affect play. DMs should accomodate (at least partially)

3) Use published materials in the game, not stuff you make yourself. Of course, if you want to change a rule or mechanic in the game, you can propose the idea to everyone, but the rest of the group has to approve of it before you use it.

this i do not fully agree with. the overall general "how the world works" i can agree with, but i love to tweak monster, magic items and perhaps special locations and the like, and these often help create amongst the best moments in the game for the players. it's also one of the things i enjoy as a DM. and it's nice to really surprise players every so often

what i think you may worry about is balance, or a DM falling in love with their creation and making it inappropriate to the game. i suggest you tell the other DMs to seek advice on issues of balance and the like in these forums or similar ones.

4) Don't be a jerk. Everyone is trying to have fun, and you should present a challenge, but don't pull arbitrary rulings, kill characters for no reason, or insert something ridiculous or out of context. You can add your own atmosphere to the game when you run it, but please respect the tone and context of the game.

that is a very good rule, and stands to common sense. however, you players must agree what is "the tone and context of the game" to begin with. different groups plays in different styles. all of you make sure you're on the same ball park.

5) Everyone DMs once, in order if at all possible, until everyone has gone only once. Then we start again, trying to go in the same order if possible. This means that every player must DM at some point, but only once every 5-8 weeks, probably.

i suggest you keep this up till you see who might like DMing more (you only need about 2 more i think to prevent burnout) and let the rest just be players. some people don't like it. period. and they give a crappy experience when DMing. the few more dedicated DMs then rotate, perhaps running longer adventures.

I'd run the first session to establish the framework. I figure I'll try and start the group as a band of wandering adventurers going from town to town in search of ancient ruins.
before you decide, remember that the others will need to build up on your general background, so it would be wise to talk with everyone and see what kind of backdrop they want for the group- perhaps they don't want dungeons and relic hunting, preferring wilderness or politics or a war campaign? talk it out with everyone.

So, what do you think? I figure this method allows everyone to play, while occasionally giving them license to change the way the story is going and try out cool new ideas. With 6-hour game sessions, we can get quite a bit of material done. The rules seem fair enough to me.

you have a plan. i hope my advice helps somewhat. finding DMs dedicated enough that give a good play is not that easy, but DMing is a learned set of skills, so it's quite possible.

the most important advice i can give is for everyone to give a positive experience for the DMs as well, as it's their early tries and they need to have fun at this as well. give feedback, about what worked, what was fun, and what can be improved.

good luck! :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2011-12-31, 07:46 AM

These are basically word for word the rules I used in the last group where we did round robin. It worked fine for six months or so until a coupla people had to move away, and the group shuffled off to do other things. I believe my char made it to level 14(albeit after a char change at level 3).

It's a pretty great way to get people into DMing. I suggest you keep a stack of adventure modules of appropriate levels around, just in case someone has a brain lock, or wants some help or whatever. They're a good tool for new DMs to use for assistance.

Also, structure the plot such that doing different things every so often feels normal. For our group, we were all members in a thief's guild. We all knew each other naturally then(even if we decided to bring in new chars), there was a set of communally useable friendly NPCs for various notable chars in the guild, we had a ready made way to sell off items of just about any sort, and if someone was DMing/absent, there was no difficulty explaining why their char was not present(off learning spells/selling loot/sleeping off hangover/spending money wildly/etc).

Yahzi
2011-12-31, 08:42 PM
When we did this, the party had a boat. So we would sail from island to island, and whoever was DMing, their characters would stay on the boat.

It worked out really well. Especially well, considering we were all evil. At one point I and another character conspired to rob the party of their gold; and then when a new DM took over, we had to let him in on the fact that we had robbed his character. He was a great sport; he did not out us, but he did get rather frustrated when he pointed out significant clues and the rest of the party ignored them. :smallbiggrin:

Dsurion
2012-01-01, 06:58 PM
Also, structure the plot such that doing different things every so often feels normal. For our group, we were all members in a thief's guild. We all knew each other naturally then(even if we decided to bring in new chars), there was a set of communally useable friendly NPCs for various notable chars in the guild, we had a ready made way to sell off items of just about any sort, and if someone was DMing/absent, there was no difficulty explaining why their char was not present(off learning spells/selling loot/sleeping off hangover/spending money wildly/etc).Wouldn't mind hearing more about this...