PDA

View Full Version : Superjumping

Drazik
2011-12-31, 05:15 PM
it's a long story, so i'll cut to the end.

i need to engineer a character that has the best jump skill possible. i already have max ranks in jump, the synergy with tumble, the following feats:

- run
- skill focus: jump
- leap of the heavens (from PHBII)
- acrobatic
- daredevil athlete (from complete scoundrel)

this char also has a level in sorcceror to get jump(the spell) and expiditous retreat. he has 1 level in warloc to get leaps and bounds. a level inbarbarian for fast movement.

i need help finding more things to make a super jumper. my usual group homebrews most of its items, so thats where i need the most help (i want to make this character 'official', so no homebrew.) i am open to bringing anything in to increase jumping; alternate class features, spells, abilities, feats, what ever.

please, playgrounders; you're my only hope!

ScionoftheVoid
2011-12-31, 05:42 PM
The Jumplomancer. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870138/The_Jumplomancer_-_are_you_serious) It manages a Jump check of more than +300 (by lots), and then uses this to make a crowd of people your loyal servants. The second part is optional, the important bit is breaking an existing Jump record (labeled link in the link I've given) with no magic or items. You can add anything you find to just go completely crazy with it.

missmvicious
2011-12-31, 05:52 PM
Jump is STR based, so anything that buffs STR is a good idea for your build.

And you may want to invest in a spell slot or a magic item that gives you Feather Fall, so you don't kill yourself on your way down from the heavens.

I perused the Magic Item Compendium and found some stuff on the fly that might be nice to get:

Anklet of Translocation: Technically, it's a teleport thing, but if used at the apex of your jump, it will auto-succeed at teleporting you 10' higher.

Armbands of Might: Boosts STR, so better for jumping.

Boots of Big Stepping: Another Teleport thing.

or

Boots of Jumping: Obvious reasons.

Brute Gauntlets: Again... buffs STR.

Are you making Super Mario?

Drazik
2011-12-31, 05:52 PM
thank you sooooooooooo much :smallbiggrin:
i wasn't making supermario, but i think i will now.

Inferno
2011-12-31, 05:58 PM
There's also the Thri-Kreen for a nice +30 racial to jump.

undead hero
2011-12-31, 06:48 PM
Hmm does the fall from a jump count as falling damage? That would be quite silly and it would make sense at the same time.

On one hand you have the ability (str) to jump that high so you should be able to take on the fall. A basketball player/Olympic jumper can jump higher than a normal person and land safely on the ground whereas if I dropped from that height i would sprang my ankle >.>.

On the other... Falling from 150-200 feet in the air sounds dangerous hahaha

Hirax
2011-12-31, 06:53 PM
Dragonborn is an easy +10 racial bonus. Leaping dragon stance is a tiger claw maneuver that treats all jumps as if they were running, giving you a +4 untyped bonus on all jump checks per 10' of land speed, so +12 if it's 30.' With 4 ranks, a strength mod of 4, land speed of 30,' and being a dragonborn, you could take 10 and hit a DC of 40.

missmvicious
2011-12-31, 06:54 PM
Strictly speaking, falling damage applies even from a Jump.

It's rarely enforced, but even with the Basketball player example, he's still performing a natural jump of less than 10 vertical feet. And even then, basketball players injure themselves coming down from a particularly high jump.

We're talking about a magically enhanced jump that could bump you several 100 feet in the air. When you come crashing down... it's probably going to hurt, even if you're trained to jump.

Hirax
2011-12-31, 06:54 PM
Dragonborn is an easy +10 racial bonus. Leaping dragon stance is a tiger claw maneuver that treats all jumps as if they were running, giving you a +4 untyped bonus on all jump checks per 10' of land speed, so +12 if it's 30.' With 4 ranks, a strength mod of 4, land speed of 30,' and being a dragonborn, you could take 10 and hit a DC of 40.

SowZ
2011-12-31, 07:20 PM
The trait 'quick' which improves your land speed by 10ft. at the cost of 1HP per level. Boots of Expeditous Retreat improve your land speed by 30ft. for a minute at a time with a command whenever, (unlimited uses, too!,) and only costs 2000 gold. For another 2000, you can have a ring that works the same way but instead of increasing your land speed it increases jump by 10.

Doughnut Master
2011-12-31, 09:02 PM
If you're not afraid of a little MAD you could go Factotum to get INT to strength skills. You can also dip 1 level in Marshall to get charisma to jump as well.

So if you have the levels to spare, this is actually more efficient than purely focusing on strength.

undead hero
2011-12-31, 09:22 PM
Who makes magical boots that don't stop the jump from hurting the wearer?

Oh right the same jerk that made the owlbear XD

blazingshadow
2011-12-31, 09:42 PM
there are leg grafts that give you a bonus to jump in the fiend folio. there is the item familiar feat in unearthed arcana that can give you a massive bonus to any skill you want.

Metahuman1
2011-12-31, 09:46 PM
Don't Magic of Incarnum and Tome of Magic have some stuff that boosts Jump Checks?

PHBII has rules to create affiliations, create one that gives membership benefits in the form of stuff to help your jump check.

Take the Item Familiar feat at level 3 and invest all your skill ranks into it. Then take the extra ranks it grants and assign them to jump.

Necroticplague
2011-12-31, 10:37 PM
Their are some grafts in fiend folio that give you a massive +30 stacking bonus to jump (though it decreases your speed 10 ft). Nothing rulewise stopping you from just adding an obscene number on you (after all, their grafts, not limb replacements).

Curmudgeon
2011-12-31, 11:13 PM
Nothing rulewise stopping you from just adding an obscene number on you (after all, their grafts, not limb replacements).
Actually, they're grafts which are also limb replacements, unless obtained as a prestige class benefit.
Acquiring a Fiendish Graft
There are a number of ways to acquire a fiendish graft. Certain magical devices have been discovered that enfold a creature, remove one of its limbs, dealing 6d6 points of damage, and replace the limb with a fiendish graft (or sometimes a fiendish familiar; see Fiendish Symbionts, below), restoring 5d6 points of damage in the process.
Certain prestige classes also entail the addition of a fiendish graft to a character.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-31, 11:16 PM
Be a halfling: +2 bonus. Not to mention I'm sure you can talk your DM into letting you jump higher/farther because of your very light weight.

ericgrau
2011-12-31, 11:27 PM
There's the ring of jumping or boots of striding and springing or etc. which oddly enough stacks with the spell jump or a potion of jump.

Venusaur
2012-01-01, 12:51 AM
Take Dungeoncrasher fighter sub levels and convince your DM to let you bull rush off a jump. Voila, Mario.

Endarire
2012-01-01, 02:10 AM
Hood (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood_A_Tale_of_38_Guide_to_the_ 35_Dragoon) puts Jump to good use!

SowZ
2012-01-01, 03:32 AM
Be a halfling: +2 bonus. Not to mention I'm sure you can talk your DM into letting you jump higher/farther because of your very light weight.

I think the fact that his legs are shorter would counterbalance that argument, though.

Curmudgeon
2012-01-01, 05:24 AM
I think the fact that his legs are shorter would counterbalance that argument, though.
Certainly the Hop Up and "jump up to grab something" High Jump uses of the skill are limited by the character's size (waist height and vertical reach, respectively). Those really don't help an argument that being small should boost your jump height.

motoko's ghost
2012-01-01, 05:33 AM
I think we're all forgetting the easiest way to get a jump distance measured in miles;
Wingless flight and a bluff check:smalltongue:

ScionoftheVoid
2012-01-01, 07:03 AM

You also have ten less feet of movement speed, which is a -4, total of -2 to Jump checks for being a halfling. No, halflings are not a good race for jumping even without the height limitations on certain uses of Jump.

meto30
2012-01-01, 08:18 AM
Get these boots. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg) Then never worry about falling damage again, because the safety of your expensive equipment is guaranteed! Wearer health safety is optional, but still works.

Drazik
2012-01-01, 12:18 PM
thanks a ton guys!

i'm off to the game now, to jump 100+ feet!

Greenish
2012-01-01, 01:59 PM
Get these boots. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg) Then never worry about falling damage again, because the safety of your expensive equipment is guaranteed! Wearer health safety is optional, but still works.Those are Boots of Landing from MIC. For just 500 gp, you always fall on your feet (and take two dice less damage from falling).

Morph Bark
2012-01-01, 02:38 PM
Those are Boots of Landing from MIC. For just 500 gp, you always fall on your feet (and take two dice less damage from falling).

How handy it is that you can combine that with any other kind of boots, too, as per the magic item creation rules in the DMG.

sreservoir
2012-01-01, 06:42 PM
How handy it is that you can combine that with any other kind of boots, too, as per the magic item creation rules in the DMG.

or the MIC ones!

meto30
2012-01-01, 06:54 PM
Those are Boots of Landing from MIC. For just 500 gp, you always fall on your feet (and take two dice less damage from falling).

I wasn't aware MIC had Aperture Science products! :smalleek:

I have to get my hands on that sourcebook RIGHT NOW!!

aza9999
2012-01-01, 07:02 PM
Every extra 10 feet movement speed over 30ft gives you +4 to jump.

A 1st level barbarian's bonus to movement is untyped and stacks with everything. A scout or monks movement speed is an enhancement bonus and won't stack with each other, or other enhancement bonuses.

hex0
2012-01-01, 09:22 PM
Thri-Kreen are a good choice, but for the LA +0 crowd there is the Neraph which gets +5 (amond other nice goodies). Play a Neraph leap attack charging auto-steal spelling spellthief Gish. Please?