PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fantasy

Rentaromon
2011-12-31, 06:45 PM
The story starts with your party entering the castle of Gol, a large castle of stone and metal. As you enter you are directed to a large dinner hall with a 50ft long table the is covered with paperwork,m artwork of the ship, and some devices that appear to be magical. At the head of the table is a large throne, and seated is a middle aged half-ork. This is King Cain, in his newest body, he seems to have a new one every few years, but he has been known to change many times in the same year, their appears to be no pattern to his transformations.

two older men are seen leaving out a side door to the room as you enter the main door, they are both old and appear to be nobles or maybe kings of the smaller city-states. Another man walks up to them as they are about to leave, they exchange a few words and the 2 older men leave, the younger man takes a seat. He and Cain say a few words quietly, something in what he said to Cain seems to have annoyed the king slightly. He is a half-elf in very polished ornate light armor.

Their are also 4 guards in the room, in full plate, one in each corner armed with large swords.

"Welcome to my kingdom, I am King Cain. Im glad you where all able to get here on such short notice. You have all been chosen by lords, kings, and nobles for your unique abilities and prestige to go on a very important mission. The 7 of you will be going up to an opening found on the machine that is above my city."

Cain stands up and starts walking to the side door.

"Im sorry i will be unable to fill you in personally on your mission but the nobles have not given me a moments piece in the last 2 weeks and i just found out they need another meeting with me. Adam will fill you in on the mission (he gestures to the half-elf), and everything else we know on the machine is among the papers on the table. Make sure you all get to know your team, we have no idea if the insides of that thing are dangerous so its best that you can trust each other up there."

With that Cain leaves, his face says he is very unhappy about having to leave, or maybe about where he needs to go. The half-elf stands up and examines the party.

"So your the team that im leading? Well take a look at the paperwork and get to know each other i guess, the ship wont be ready to take us up for another 2 hours so we can wait a bit for the mission briefing."
With that the half-elf pulls out a small book and starts reading. He does not seem that concerned about the mission.

(tell me what you want to know more about and ill give information as you look around, the mission briefing will begin in 1.5 hours.)

compilation of all info on the world so far:

The Continent of Auu, a single giant continent surrounded by an endless ocean, aside from small islands their is no other land mass. The land is broken up into many city states that go between war and peace every decade or so.

Hespera: a strong nation of man near the north end of Auu, a cold land near the tundras to the northeast.

Jotunhull: the land of cavedwellers in the ragged tundra to the northeast, in poor terms with the land of hespera.

Quezkatal: a large jungle to the south of Auu, covering a huge area but inhabited by only tribes.

Broken Isles: A series of islands past the great jungle to the south, few have entered the area. It is said to have once been home to a great civilization.

Blight: far to the west, cut off by a near impassable mountain range is the Blight, the result of evil magic upon the land. Home to countless undead horrors and giant monsters. The area has only one entrance, The Grand Door of Jah'Laarin, and it is guarded by warriors of all the city-states. The only reason to enter these cursed lands is to recover its lost secrets from long ago that none have been able to reach. The land has been quiet laity but monsters have tried to take the gate in the past.

Toorn/Foorn/Goorn: 3 small city-states to the east that are in constant upheaval. The lands have been in a insane 3 way war going on 50 years now, with no winner in sight. Outsiders are treated poorly at best and killed at worst so most people leave the lands alone. Each land is led by a now aged king, all 3 are sons of the past king of the 3 states.

Central Auu: commonly just called central, the middle of Auu is home to many small weaker city states surrounding one powerful one, the city of Gol'ric. The smaller states are all united under Gol and its powerful king Cain. The area is a center of farm and trade, and is in relatively good standing with all surrounding areas. While fighting between the smaller cities is common none have every tried to overthrow Cain, at least publicly. His power has kept him it power for 87 years now, its not know how old he really is, but he has been known to take many different bodies of different species of humanoids over the years. Gol itself is a large thriving city protected by its controlled cities and a strong standing army, military are seen commonly in the city as most are trained there. The city has many parks and fauna crisscrossing with the city, and druids keep a delicate balance between forest and city. Cain is far more powerful than any other known man, and is worshiped as a god-king, however he does not support this.

more detailed:

Hespera
To the north is the Hesperan empire. The capital city and the rest of the empire is theoretically ruled by the emperor and backed by a council of mages, though in recent times the position has shifted to the point where the emperor is little more then a figurehead.

A large portion of the Hesperan capital city is taken up by the Academy, where young people who have demonstrated a penchant for magic throughout the empire are taken to hone their abilities to better serve the empire. The most skilled of these eventually join the Mage Council itself.

Adjacent to the Academy is the Hesperan Grand Palace, where the ruling family, Mage Council-members and other assorted nobles live.

Outside of the Palace and the Academy, the nation is divided primarily into farming villages of varying sizes. Some of the larger towns may have a school of some kind, but the Mage Council generally tries to discourage citizens from becoming too knowledgeable from sources outside of the Academy.

Jotunhull
To the east is the nation of Jotunhull. If seen from the sky, it would appears that the borders of Jotunhull are far smaller then that of the other nations, but in truth this is not really the case. As it stands, more than half of the nation consists of a series of tunnels beneath the planet's surface. This fact is the cause for countless border disputes between Jotunhull and Hespera, and consequentially the two countries have never been on good terms with one another.

Jotunhull is ruled by a single king who has held the position for nearly a millennia, being kept alive by his impressive psionic abilities, and revered at an almost godlike status. However, in recent times the king has become increasing more paranoid and agoraphobic, forcing his assistant to maintain more of the smaller duties of rule.

The rest of Jotunhull is made of of a weblike network of halls and tunnels, and the majority of its citizens are artisans or miners. Of note is the fact that Jotunhull is probably the most technologically advanced of the three nations.

Quezkatal
To refer to the jungle region of Quezkatal to the south as an actual nation is actually a misnomer, though most Hesperan and Jutunhullen citizens do not realize it as such. Actually, Quezkatal is occupied by a number of nomadic and constantly warring tribes. Traditionally, each tribe is ruled by a powerful priest or shaman, or else an uniquely strong warrior. Each tribal leader holds his ideals of a strong tribe as being those of a perfect society, and considers those who believe otherwise to be heretical, thus driving the constant war and splitting of factions.

Though the tribes of Quezkatal know little of peace, they have little to no relations at all with the other nations, and generally tend to keep to themselves. This is likely because the dense jungle plants and fierce predatory wildlife of the region can make the area tough to navigate, at least for those unfamiliar with the area.

Radmelon, Gunslinger Tegvit: Tegvit Lightsmelter (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=356214)

Acidic_Cakes, Psion Alexei: Alexei Galgoli (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=355872)

Madcrafter, Priest Araton: Seeker Araton Thayreo (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=28825)

hydroplatypus, Sorcerer Amarath: Amarath Neveran (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=355905)

Zonugal, Inquisitor Cadius: Cadius McPhire (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=356259)

Bhaakon, Alchemist Braxus: Braxus Law (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=26806)

radmelon
2011-12-31, 07:41 PM
Standing near the front is a fairly tall kilted gentleman with fairly fine clothes, and a neatly trimmed goatee. He seems to be holding a strange mechanical device. It looks like a long metal tube with a wooden bit on the end, all covered in faintly glowing runes. (You might be able to make a knowledge check to identify it, should the DM allow.) He speaks in a strong Jotunhall accent.

"Good to meet ye, Gennelmen. I been wantin to investigate this metal monstrosity for some time."

Madcrafter
2011-12-31, 09:08 PM
A tall, middle aged man with a large smile approaches the table from the side of the group. He is dressed in noble finery, and is carrying a gold topped cane. He scans the papers on the table, and addresses the group members he doesn't already know. He speaks with an accent that you can't exactly place.

"Nice to meet you too. Our neme is Eraton."

After a pause, he continues:

"Whet mekes you think thet it is even mede of metel enyweys?"

While talking, Araton is searching through his memory for anything he knows about Adam the half-elf, and scanning the pages on the table for any particularly interesting tidbits.

Possible rolls:

Know: Nobility - [roll0]
Know: Local - [roll1]
Know: History - [roll2]

Perception? - [roll3]

radmelon
2011-12-31, 09:19 PM
"Why, of course it be metal! What other material would it be? Stone is too conducive to magic to give the signiture it has, and wood is too weak. It hasn't shown responsiveness to magic, correct?"

Roll for perception:
[roll0]

Rentaromon
2012-01-01, 02:37 AM
Eraton does not recognize the Half-Elf, and this is strange as most people as powerful as him are commonly famous.

(list anything specific you are looking at among the papers, charts, diagrams, devices and ill give details.)

Among the items on the table is a small box with a glass top, inside is a shard of broken metal. Papers near the box show it to be a shard found under the machine by a soldier. It is described as incredibly hard and apparently immune to any thermal damage, so far nothing has been able to break the metal. It is also kept inside the box in fear it might be dangerous. Their are no clues as to how the piece broke off or if it truly is from the machine.

Bhaakon
2012-01-01, 02:41 AM
"hmm Braxus," mumbles the alchemist, too busy pouring over the papers to pay much attention to the others' speculation. He's particularly interested in the size of the ship, and any markings on the exterior. Much observation, but little information. I can see why they're eager to send someone in.

Finally Braxus turns to Adam, and addresses the half-elf in a version of the common tongue so generic as to reveal that the speaker had worked long and hard to scrub away any trace of an accent, "if it is not too forward, I'd like to know why you were chosen to head this mission. On such a dangerous errand, I'd like to know the qualification of all my companions, particularly the one giving directions."

perception: [roll0]

Madcrafter
2012-01-01, 04:51 AM
He wasn't looking for anything specific among the papers, just anything that stood out.
Araton opens a small notebook, pulls one of the "magical devices" towards him, as well as the glass-lidded box, and begins to takes some notes.

"Meybe it is metel efter ell." he murmurs, somewhat to himself.

He glances up when Braxus speaks.

"Yes, why don't you tell us a thing ebout yourself Edam."

hydroplatypus
2012-01-01, 01:07 PM
Amarath approaches Adam, also interested in his qualifications. She has red hair that falls to slightly below her shoulders, and green eyes. She is what most would call a great beauty, and she knows it. She is wearing a long blue dress with small emeralds around the collar and sleeves, has a necklace with a sapphire, an enchanted and jeweled headband, and a signet ring bearing her family crest.

She then says "I agree, If you are to lead us then we will need a clear understanding of your qualifications. I am sure you are qualified, as Cain wouldn't pick someone incompetent to lead us, however if we knew your abilities it would make it so much easier to know where to apply our own"

diplomacy [roll0]

Zonugal
2012-01-01, 05:55 PM
"I think ourselves to bold to seek such qualifications," speaks a wrinkled man, with a hint of a Jotunhall accent, at the edge of the table. Between peering at papers and inspecting initial reports he looks up, "The king has chosen who he will choose. I dare not impose my own doubts upon his collective insight into this issue. You know not mine nor anyone's qualifications who share our respective views or duties."

Cadius stands up from his chair and walks over to a new area of paperwork & artwork. "It may seem coy but... Take it on faith." Looking over the resources before him Cadius takes an eye to Adam, "You, the half-elf? Have you pulled upon the kingdom's engineers and artisans to figure out not only what we may interact within the ship but how to even possibly bring it down? Have you considered in which geographical direction, if we should be so diligent, to bring the ship down towards? Have you talked with the local guard as to limit any casualties from such an impact as well as to establish a base-line barrier to stop any ill-contamination?"

The aged man puts down the papers and raises his head to the rest of his newly-formed associates, "We have two hours I dictate we use them wisely."

Bhaakon
2012-01-01, 06:39 PM
Braxus narrows his eyes at the Cadius's comments, "faith is for the divine, old one, certainly you are not claiming such a status for our little company here. All the preparation in the world will be useless if we can't trust in one another's abilities in a tight spot."

Madcrafter
2012-01-01, 07:13 PM
Araton looks up from his note taking as Cadius speaks.

"End I think if the king hed much insight into the issue, we wouldn't be here in the first plece. Whet mekes you think thet moving it down is the best course of ection enyweys? It hesn't moved yet, end it might be best left where it is. I'd sey we heve to investigete some more first."

radmelon
2012-01-01, 08:00 PM
"Do we even know how big the thing be? There might not be sufficient space nearby. Und this is assumin' it's under sentient control. It might be a natural occurence." Tegvit moves over to the table, looking it over.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-01, 09:33 PM
Amarath laughs a little as Tegvit talks."A natural occurrence? I may not have payed much attention to my studies at the academy, but don't large objects usually fall downwards? It isn't even using magic or psionics to stay up. I cannot believe that to be natural."

She then turns to Braxus and says "I agree we all need to know each others abilities, and preferably a little about each other. That way we will be better able to co-ordinate what we do. As Cadius said we only have two hours, and we better use them well."

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-01, 10:46 PM
All this time, Alexei has sat quietly at the table, paying more attention to the odd bunch who had been collected there then the actual topic at hand. Hmm, now as much as he dreaded being here, it was a bit soothing to hear the Jotunhullen brogue coming from another's mouth again. It was the sort of subtle thing that you normally would not think of, but hearing his native accent was somehow relaxing. It reminded him of home.

Alexei finally snaps out of his daydream by his psicrystal rudely buzzing by his ear.

Excuse me sir, it says, making it's best attempts to be diplomatic. But perhaps now would be appropriate to bring up the idea you had earlier. This meeting is, after all, intended for the sharing of such things. And I do not know at this point how the King would react if you refuse to participate.

Alexei sighs. He was honestly hoping at this point that he would be able to sit quietly in the back without being notices, though he supposes that this may be a bit optimistic.

"Um, excuse me, but." he caughs a little for emphasis, "Considering how the object is so large...wait, strike that, we really don't know how large it is. It's just sort of a blot on any of our divination abilities, so maybe it is much smaller, and has a large field that suppresses are ability to monitor it. Wait, I am getting off point. I'm sorry. Let me start again. Perhaps it would be easier to, instead of bringing it down here for us to see, we could send some object up to monitor it? Some sort of object that we can directly divine from, and see what it sees? It seems like it would be a lot less effort."

radmelon
2012-01-01, 10:48 PM
Tegvit turns to his fellow Jotun. "How're we supposed to get up there? Most flying magic is too short-lived for such a journey."

Zonugal
2012-01-01, 11:04 PM
Cadius' eyes snap towards Braxus, "The hopeful hands of divinity carry us all, even if we ourselves do not acknowledge the assistance or journey. But beyond such matters of cold ignorance I am not one to place a foundation of trust in one's words. Trust, I have found, is born out of comradery and not a briefly surmised resume."

He takes a piece of artwork and begins to look upon it with much more relaxed eyes. With a finger pointed towards Tegvit he quickly says, "Winged Beast," before spinning his finger towards Araton, "Of course we are bringing it down. You act as if there is ultimately another consequence."

radmelon
2012-01-01, 11:09 PM
"But where would we get said flying beasties? Them that can carry a human aren't common."

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-01, 11:13 PM
Alexei snaps his fingers, suddenly more excited. "A winged beast! That's not a bad idea! We find some sort of suitably tame creature, and enhance it so that it could fly up high enough to view the object for us! Hmm, but what sort of creature would serve these purposes, do you think?"

He then adds, "It wouldn't necessarily have to carry us, at least on the first go. We could attach some object of divination to it, and view what it views. This might just be more successful then our previous attempts at remote viewing. Then again, it might not, but I see no reason not to try it first."

Zonugal
2012-01-01, 11:14 PM
"I'm sure the lovely aristocrat can manage to find or procure us such transporation."

hydroplatypus
2012-01-01, 11:20 PM
Amarath, although intrigued by the possibility of taming flying beasts seems to dislike the idea of bringing down the object.
I don't think we should try to move the object yet. I mean whoever sent it has to be nobility of some kind. Who else would have the resources to do this? And if I know anything about nobles it is that they hate it when you touch their stuff. Moving it could piss off whoever controls it. Given that they have the power to make something like this I would really like to not piss him off. That being said I like the flying beast idea. Instead of having them bring the object down, why don't we have them carry us, or some divination object up to the giant thing in the sky. Less likely to piss people off, and we still learn stuff.

Bhaakon
2012-01-02, 12:11 AM
"We are getting ahead of ourselves with this talk of landing. We don't even know if it is has controls we can comprehend, let alone use, and there's still the open question of its builders and occupants. "

Madcrafter
2012-01-02, 03:39 PM
"Or if it hes controls and occupents et ell. I'd be loeth to disrupt it if it does turn out to be e neturel phenomenon."

Rentaromon
2012-01-02, 07:58 PM
"Annnnd done." Adam closes the book.

"My apologies i was on the last few pages." He puts the book in a coat pocket and heads over to a pile of papers, at the bottom is a picture of what looks like a large boat, however instead of any sails it has a single large stone pillar covered in magical runes.

"This is how we are getting up to the machine; The Opulen, a ship reinforced to carry and control that massive load stone in the center. I wont lie to you it took a good deal of money to get that thing here so don't go blowing that ship up."

Adam walks over to the throne, running a hand along the armrest.

"As for my qualifications, lets just say Cain doesn't have a choice in the matter. The Lords of the Central states voted me to lead this mission. But dont worry, i'm a skilled fighter and mage, not that i expect anyone in this party needs my protection. But i would gladly give it if anyone needs me."

His eyes turn to Amarath for just a second.

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-02, 09:53 PM
Alexei blinks. "Well. That makes things a bit more simple then expected." He pauses and thinks for a second, "Might you explain a bit about its diagnostics? I would rather not have to worry about it suddenly failing to work when we get close to the object and then it sending us crashing back down to the surface at lightening speed."

radmelon
2012-01-02, 10:06 PM
"Indeed, I am quite curious as to how it works. Engineerin' is somewhat a hobby of mine. It's how I keep old Nákvćmni here working." Tegvit motions to the strange device he carries.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-02, 10:43 PM
Amarath listens intently to what Adam says trying to figure out Cain's political situation. She thinks {If Cain cannot choose the leader of such an important expedition then his position must be weaker than he has led Hespera to believe.}. She focuses back on Adam, completely oblivious to his glance.

She then says "Ah, so that is how we are getting up there. Now as you have presumably been involved longer than us do you have any idea what to expect? Has the object done anything since coming here?"

Rentaromon
2012-01-03, 01:29 AM
"For what was spent to get Opulen up and running it better work. It was made in a rush so we will be on its second flight, the first will be its delivery here."
A smile crosses his face.
"But don't worry i have confidence in its builders."

"As for the machine it has done nothing, and no spell has been able to pierce its outer shell. However from some less efficient spells we have observed the outer edges of the object and seen many moving pieces, as well as what the mages assume is a door. Wait we have a sketch of it.....here."

(note this shows the general shape and size, it does not glow nor are their as many artistic random pieces on the outside. If anyone can find a better picture of a ship about the same size and shape we can use that.)
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/rentaromon111/skyline-20101020042205509_640w.jpg

Bhaakon
2012-01-03, 08:59 PM
Braxus looks at the drawing, but doesn't study it in great detail. We'll be seeing the real thing soon enough.

Instead he turns his attention to the odd metallic sample supposedly broken from the ship (if it even is a ship). "I'd like to get a closer look at this, if you don't mind me breaking open the seal. I think I might be able to identify it, or at least learn more of its properties, with an alchemical examination. If the material itself is dangerous, it's better to find out now than when we're surrounded by the stuff."

It's not really described as part of the craft (alchemy) skill, but I think it's fair to use my alchemical kit to try to figure out some properties of the substance: is it vulnerable to acid or alkaline, is it really a metal or not, is it flexible or brittle, is can it be scratched by a diamond, etc. The type of things you'd do in a high-school chemistry class. if not, then don't let Braxus unseal it.

alchemy check [roll0]

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-03, 09:11 PM
Alexei grins madly. Now we're getting somewhere. He guestures towards the salvaged piece of the object. "Do you mind if I can take a look at that?"

Manifesting Object Reading

Assuming that I can examine the object for a full 6 minutes, this is what I am able to learn:

1st Minute Last owner’s race.

2nd Minute Last owner’s gender.

3rd Minute Last owner’s age.

4th Minute Last owner’s alignment.

5th Minute How last owner gained and lost the object.

6th+ Minute Next-to-last owner’s race, and so on.

radmelon
2012-01-03, 10:07 PM
"When you be done with that, may I take a look a'it?" says Tegvit as the others examine the specimen. "I might be able to figure out more aboot it."

Knowledge Engineering:
[roll0]

See if I can think of possible uses or origins.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-03, 10:13 PM
Amarath looks at the object curiously, however knows that she is unqualified to find out anything about it. Good thinking Alexei, your psionics will certainly find out something useful. you too Braxus, more info is always good.

She then says to Adam, Tegvit and Cadius Now there are obviously a lot of politics going on behind the scenes here. I mean Adam already admitted that he wasn't chosen by Cain. Now I will attempt to fill you in as best I can on what I know about the political maneuvering going on. I expect you to do the same in return.

Hespera has always had the nobles vying for power, however this object has caused the balance of power to shift. The major noble families are panicing as this could potentially threaten their dominance. The minor families see it as an opportunity to gain status. I am from one of the minor families, and with the major families concentrating on thwarting each other my family was able to send me due to my magic, and diplomatic training.

How are the politics of this expedition working in your cities?

radmelon
2012-01-03, 11:22 PM
"Weel, the king was of course greatly interested in such a strange occurance. I have a bit of a reputation as an adventurer, so he sent me. I'm not sure what he'll want with it though, he's gotton stranger as time passes."

Rentaromon
2012-01-03, 11:30 PM
"Its not up to me if you can open the container, feel free to examine that chunk of metal all you want." Adam does not seem very concerned with the metal.

Alexei attempts to learn more about the objects past, but nothing happens, the spell has failed.

Tegvit's engineering is unable to determine anything new about the object, its a solid piece of metal, not much else he can do.

Acids and other chemicals appear to not effect it, its smooth cool surface feels just like steel, it is not flexible at all, and even a diamond does not scratch it, it should be noted it did no damage to the diamond as well.

Braxus notices his hands feel slightly...off after holding the stone, even with gloves. No one else felt strange afterwords, even when holding it for 5 minutes bare handed. The strange feeling goes away after flexing the hand for a short time.

roll perception if 25 or more open this, 28 for braxus:
Adam was watching braxus the entire time he was testing the metal, however he hid it well and showed no emotional responses to any 1 test.

Adam walks over to a desk on the back wall and pulls out a wine bottle and multiple glasses.
"Here, a drink to our success. One of my own inventions, my favorite brand of wine mixed with a healing potion, we want everyone at 100%."
He takes a drink, after filling his,and adds a bit more in.
"Ahh love that taste."

Rentaromon
2012-01-03, 11:34 PM
Amarath looks at the object curiously, however knows that she is unqualified to find out anything about it. Good thinking Alexei, your psionics will certainly find out something useful. you too Braxus, more info is always good.

She then says to Adam, Tegvit and Cadius Now there are obviously a lot of politics going on behind the scenes here. I mean Adam already admitted that he wasn't chosen by Cain. Now I will attempt to fill you in as best I can on what I know about the political maneuvering going on. I expect you to do the same in return.

Hespera has always had the nobles vying for power, however this object has caused the balance of power to shift. The major noble families are panicing as this could potentially threaten their dominance. The minor families see it as an opportunity to gain status. I am from one of the minor families, and with the major families concentrating on thwarting each other my family was able to send me due to my magic, and diplomatic training.

How are the politics of this expedition working in your cities?

"I will say that most of the lords in central are glad i'm going up there, and i will be giving them all a full report."

Madcrafter
2012-01-04, 01:25 AM
Araton is busy scribbling notes this whole time, hardly noticing when the metal shard's box is taken from the table in front of him. However, he watches with interest while it is being tested.

Perception - [roll0]

"Thet would be e velueble meteriel, if one could hervest some more of it. Herder then diemond, probebly megic resistent or shielding; someone could meke e fortune. It definitely tells us ebout the ebility of those who mede this thing, if it is not neturel."

Bhaakon
2012-01-04, 02:02 AM
"Most fascinating," murmurs Braxus as he flexes his fingers to relieve the odd feeling, "exceptionally strong, durable, and completely nonreactive. And this strange sensation--you're sure you didn't feel it? With these properties, I shudder to imagine what forces conspired to rip it from the craft."

hydroplatypus
2012-01-04, 09:46 AM
Indead, whatever caused this to fall from the craft must have been quite powerful. A demon perhaps? a very old dragon? I'm not sure that even they could harm it. If the objects owners can craft than they must really be powerful.

radmelon
2012-01-04, 10:18 AM
"Aye, that's very strange. I can't make heads or tails out of it. Good wine, though."

Perception:
[roll0]

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-04, 03:36 PM
After several minutes of concentration, Alexei clutches his head and rests against the table.

"That was...unexpected..." He says, still gasping for air, "There was nothing. No history, no background, no nothing. I mean, Even with some stray rocks, you can at least pick up some trace elements left by someone who had passed them recently. Or something. But here, there was just nothing. It's like a great big black pit. Same as the thing in the sky."

Perception: [roll0]

Oh you have got to be kidding me...

Madcrafter
2012-01-04, 06:08 PM
"If you don't mind us teking e look et thet es well."

Araton mutters a short spell, takes the shard of metal and presses his ring to it after a few moments.

Casting Detect Magic, concentrating for 3 rounds, then using the ring to try and place an Arcane Mark (invisible, picture of his real face) on the metal and see what happens. He'll take a quick look around and at the others as well with the detect magic up, just 'cause.

Zonugal
2012-01-04, 07:18 PM
Looking towards Amarath, "Politics? I can't be offered to add any insight there, not my domain strictly speaking."

Cadius sits back and watches as the others examine the properties of the mysterious metal. Without place his hand on it he scans it with his eyes and wonders if he was seen any such item within the darkness he so frequently journeys.

Knowledge: Arcana - [roll0]
Knowledge: Dungeoneering - [roll1]
Knowledge: the Planes - [roll2]

Rentaromon
2012-01-04, 08:41 PM
Amarath is unable to remember anything about the metal, being a small piece of black metal that is nonreactive to just about anything would seem like something that would be well covered or at least mentioned in some book. Strange.

Detect magic on the item fails,not just doesn't detect magic but it fails. Arcane mark also fails.

(If you have anything else you want to know or anything specific that might be among the documents you want to look for just say so. If everyone is ready we will move on the the next "scene".)

Madcrafter
2012-01-04, 08:55 PM
"Thet is most unusuel. Eny megic so fer thet hes touched it hes feiled. It would be most enlightening to find out how it was creeted."

He tries casting another spell, with the metal shard in hand.

Casting some cantrip, just to see if the metal cancels it if it isn't included in the area of effect.

OOC stuff:
I'm fine with moving on. Araton has already glanced over the papers on the table and found nothing of significance, so I don't know if that is true or if there is really no good information there. (Maybe I just havn't thought to ask)

radmelon
2012-01-04, 09:26 PM
OOC
Yeah, lets move on.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-04, 10:29 PM
Amarath looks around as everyone focuses on their preparations and says Adam, before we begin our individual preparations for the journey will you tell me what supplies we are bringing. It might be helpful to know what we have at our disposal. If it turns out to be inhabited do we have any gifts for their representatives? Also if the object turns out to be hostile in nature what precautions are we taking?

As she waits for her answer she looks through the papers to determine if the local wildlife have changed their patterns in response to the objects presence.

knowledge nature
[roll0]

OOC

Well of course I failed to notice anything with perception, I think I auto-fail.
detect magic failure is interesting though.
And ya, I would prefer these questions answered, but then we can move on

Rentaromon
2012-01-05, 12:48 AM
Any attempt to cast a spell on the metal continues to fail, or not target or damage it.

It was easy to find papers on the effects on life. The largest one is the large shadow now covering many farms, farmers in the area have been raising prices in response causing more problems. Animals however seem to not be effected at all, and birds have been observed even landing on the machine. There is also paperwork covering birds with spells cast on them to see inside, but once the bird got close the spells stopped working.

"The Opulen is not perfect, we cant carry much. Im not sure about gifts of peace are the best idea, if anything is on board it has not tried to contact anyone in 2 weeks, i think its abandoned or just broken."
Adam pauses for a second before going over to the table and grabbing a small paper and looking over it for a second.
"I was told that something was going to be brought with us on the trip, but i have no idea what orichalcum is."

Knowledge Arcane 20 or History 17:
Orichalcum is an old rare metal that is very malleable until heated allowing for beautiful sculptures and intricate pieces to be made strong; created in ancient times only a small amount exists still unheated. It is said to have strange magical properties. Its creators are lost to history.

(Last call before we move on)

Bhaakon
2012-01-05, 01:18 AM
"We can pour over these scraps of information forever without learning anything concrete. The sooner we get aboard, the sooner we find answers. Hopefully."

OOC
lets go.

Madcrafter
2012-01-05, 01:58 AM
"Orichelcum is e kind of metel, old end very rere, no one knows how to meke it enymore. Do you know if the orichelcum we ere bringing elong hes been treeted or not, or whet it is intended to be used for?"

Rolls

Know: Arcana - [roll0]
Know: History - [roll1]

Just barely made it...

OOC
I meant he casts a spell with the metal in his other hand, not targeting it in any way, to see if just holding it impedes spellcasting at all.

Zonugal
2012-01-05, 08:54 AM
Well...

OOC

If my natural 20 in Knowledge: the Planes brings nothing I will vote in agreement to move the story along.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-05, 10:53 AM
Rolls

arcana
[roll0]
history
[roll1]

Indead that Orichalcum is certainly interesting. If it is unheated it could be worth a fortune. How did Cain or the council or whoever did that arrange for it?

OOC

aside from this question fine with moving on

Rentaromon
2012-01-05, 12:31 PM
[COLOR="Navy"]
OOC
I meant he casts a spell with the metal in his other hand, not targeting it in any way, to see if just holding it impedes spellcasting at all.
(Unless you are targeting it in your other hand no, your able to cast spells while in contact with the small shard of metal. I should mention that casting a cantrip that does damage at it like a small fire works, but deals no damage.)

Next part in just a second...

Rentaromon
2012-01-05, 12:53 PM
the main door opens and a middle aged man says the Opulen has been spotted, but there is a small problem, people think it is from the machine in the sky and are panicking.

"What? It looks nothing like the machine! Ok i guess we need to get out there." Adam downs the last of his drink and heads out the door after the man. (im assuming you all follow)

As you get outside you see a large crowd of people gathering around the ship, and the crew of the ship don't seem to know what to do. One man in a uniform who is probably the captain is trying to talk the crowd down but it doesn't seem to be working. Some are just looking on, some are claiming they saw monsters on it, others are claiming the crew are monsters in human skin.

"How about we just get on and leave, we dont have the time to deal with this right now." Adam looks very annoyed by what is going on.

Madcrafter
2012-01-05, 01:18 PM
"Unless you reelly went them to stert penicking when we ectuelly do go to the object, perheps it'd be best if we speek a few words to them to try and celm them down." He gives a glance to Amarath.

He takes a good look at the ship and its crew.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-05, 03:20 PM
Amarath looks at Araton and nods, saying "I'll see what I can do, but I doubt that the whole group can hear or see me from here. Lets see if we can get to the Opulen first. Everyone will be able to see and hear me from there.

She then approaches the crowd and yells "People, We are representatives of the great king Cain, let us get to the device you are interested in, and we will explain what is going on." She hope that enough of the crowd will part to allow the group to get to the Opulen.

diplomacy
[roll0]

edited for grammar

Bhaakon
2012-01-06, 05:46 PM
Braxus hangs back from Aramath, crowd control (at least the non-violent kind) being outside his skill set. Instead, he tries to slip into the mob unnoticed and work his way towards the Opulen.

stealth [roll0]

radmelon
2012-01-06, 07:46 PM
Tegvit tries to maneuver through the crowd.
Acrobatics:
[roll0]

Rentaromon
2012-01-06, 08:59 PM
Some of the guard comes out and starts pushing back the crowd, they get angry but so far nothing physical has started yet. Suddenly a scream, a man is trying to make his way past the crowd with a sword.

He screams out: "I saw it! I saw what you are! You wo.. GAHH!" Hes stopped as a green beam strikes his hand knocking the blade to the ground. You look to see it was Adam, a faint green glow disappearing from his hand. In seconds he is tackled by 2 guards and dragged off.

Finally the crowd makes enough room for you to get on board. Adam quickly gets up the ladder on the side and tells the captain to get the crew ready.

Spellcraft 17 to identify adams spell:
The spell is similar to burning disarm, however it seems to be a unique form of it. He also cast it without any vocal component. This version of the spells seems to need to be aimed at the target.

Perception 30 or 24 if you made the spellcraft check, check is 2 easier for braxus:
The green beam passed through another mans shoulder just slightly to hit its target, and the man did not seem to notice at all. It was quick, its possible you where incorrect.

Madcrafter
2012-01-06, 11:14 PM
Araton climbs on board and takes a look at the crew.

Spellcraft - [roll0]
Perception - [roll1]

Sweet deal!

radmelon
2012-01-06, 11:22 PM
Tegvit also climbs aboard. He heads to the bow and looks over the crowd.

perception:
[roll0]

hydroplatypus
2012-01-06, 11:39 PM
Amarath walks calmly through the parting crowd, and climbs into the Opulen. She goes to the edge of the shy-ship to the area where she can see the greatest part of the crowd and begins speaking in an attempt to calm them.

In a voice that is extraordinarily friendly and calming she says "People, I know you are afraid due to the recent arrival of the object in the sky. You see your leaders have done nothing to tell you about what is going on, and you wonder if they still have the power to protect you from the dangers of the world. I am here to tell you that these thoughts are absolutely wrong. Here with me, at the request of your great and powerful king Cain are representatives from Jotunhull, the council of Central Auu, and I myself represent Hespera. This group that you see before you represents the three greatest powers in the world, working together in an unprecedented manner. With all three of the greatest nations in the world united in purpose how can you doubt that you are safe? We are being sent up to the object on a mission of great importance, to examine the object so as to better protect people like you. With all of the greatest powers working together how can we possibly fail in our goals?"

Saying this Amarath pauses, and begins speaking with even more passion, clearly showing her devotion to the mission, and her respect for the common people. "To those of you who feel that you must do your part during this amazing event mindlessly attacking anything that flies is not what you should be doing. There are many better ways to help your city and your people. Whenever there is a crisis people forget that it is not a city's rulers that keep it running, nay it is the common people. If you doubt me think of this; if no one forged swords, how would an army defend it's people, if no one grew food the city would starve. Therefore you will serve your city better by plying your trade, and doing it well. If you still feel the need to do more train to fight, so that if someone does harm you, you are not a mindless rabble, but a well trained fighting force! "

Amarath then goes back to speaking in a calmer voice, saying "Now this device here is not related to the object, but was commissioned by the great king Cain in order to better study the object, and thus there is no need to fear it. The expedition I am a part of will be leaving shortly and we must make preparations, so please go about your buisness as you were before this sky-ship appeared."

Amarath then tries to gauge how much of an effect her speech has had, while maintaining a stance that implies absolute confidence and ability.

diplomacy
[roll0]

spellcraft
[roll1]

I automatically fail perception checks > 18, so ya...

Zonugal
2012-01-07, 01:19 AM
Cadius stands back and watches Amarath speak to the crowd. He once could anchor great faith onto her words but that part of him had long died. All he knew now was a hatred for the crowd that looked upon him & his new associates. He climbs aboard the magical vehicle and looks into the crowd.

He sees young men and weakened faces. He sees hopes and fears aligned. He sees it all.

And he hates all of it.

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 01:48 AM
We've gotten aboard, just take off and forget those superstitious peons, Braxus mumbles to himself as Amarath tries to pacify the crowd.

While his verbose companion attempts to tame the mewling masses, Braxus searches out the Opulen's other cargo: the orichalcum. The alchemist can't pass up the chance to see the rare substance in its unhardened state, and is particularly keen to know just how much of the stuff is aboard.

spellcraft [roll0]

perception [roll1]

Rentaromon
2012-01-07, 11:05 AM
The crowd seems to have calmed down after the speech, most disperse and go back to what they where doing beforehand.

"Good job Amarath, if their are living things up their I think you should be our speaker. Just remember that anything dangerous up their might not want to talk."

Braxus finds 2 open chests on the deck, one is filled with random bits and pieces of artwork, machine parts, and weapons made from treated orichalcum, unfortunately most of the weapons are broken or ceremonial. The other has chunks of untreated orichalcum, not a lot but at least 15 pounds.

The ship starts to slowly float up, then quickly starts shooting up for a second jarring everyone on board and almost knocking one of the crew members off the side, then it starts going slowly again.

"My apologies, the Opulen is not perfect yet." The captain says with a slightly worried face.

Ignoring the jarring of the ship Adam asks the captain about why they are taking orichalcum up to the ship.

"Ahh yes, well when we where using birds to try to Scry on the machine in the sky we found that one carrying a small ring made from orichalcum was able to get much closer before the spell failed. Just as a precaution we are taking as much treated and raw orichalcum as we where able to get in such a short time."

The ship is now much higher in the sky and the crew is carefully watching and adjusting strange controls around the large rune covered stone in the middle.

It should be noted that all of the crew and the captain are human, white, male, and around the same age. The crew are all wearing the same coats with a purple cog on the back, the same symbol is on the captains outfit.

radmelon
2012-01-07, 12:32 PM
"So, how long do ya think it'll be before we're there?"

hydroplatypus
2012-01-07, 02:55 PM
Amarath smiles at Adam's praise, and says "Me doing the talking sounds like a good idea, after all I am a trained diplomat. And I am aware of the possibility that they are hostile, although the magic immunity of the object may be a problem if we get into a fight."

She then pauses and thinks for a few seconds, and says "Hey Adam, you obviously have magical ability, but I was wondering about it's source. Are you a wizard, a sorcerer perhaps, a Magus? or something else entirely?

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 03:16 PM
Braxus's face goes slack as the captain explains his cargo, and he cuts into the conversations with a disturbingly calm voice, "you mean to say that you think this ship, this magical, flying ship, may fall out of the sky once we get close, and that this substance is our only protection? If we'd been warned of this, I'd have taken other precautions."

Zonugal
2012-01-07, 04:18 PM
Cadius chuckled to himself before turning towards Braxus, "If it is any ease on your heart, you'll likely not even feel any pain upon smashing into the ground."

Rentaromon
2012-01-07, 04:54 PM
Amarath smiles at Adam's praise, and says "Me doing the talking sounds like a good idea, after all I am a trained diplomat. And I am aware of the possibility that they are hostile, although the magic immunity of the object may be a problem if we get into a fight."

She then pauses and thinks for a few seconds, and says "Hey Adam, you obviously have magical ability, but I was wondering about it's source. Are you a wizard, a sorcerer perhaps, a Magus? or something else entirely?

"Ive had a bit of training in all sorts of magic. I learned most of my magic from some strange folks deep in Quezkatal. Im not exactly sure what to call it."

The machine is getting closer and closer, 400ft away and no problems......350....300, still good.

Braxus's face goes slack as the captain explains his cargo, and he cuts into the conversations with a disturbingly calm voice, "you mean to say that you think this ship, this magical, flying ship, may fall out of the sky once we get close, and that this substance is our only protection? If we'd been warned of this, I'd have taken other precautions."

"Well we flew right under the thing and the ship still worked, we should be ok." The captain seems to be convincing himself as much as Braxus.

"By the way you should all bring some small pieces of the stuff with you when your up their, might let you effect the machine with spells.

radmelon
2012-01-07, 05:27 PM
Seeing the machine loom closer, Tegvit tries to get a good look, then grabs a chunk of orichalcum.
Perception:
[roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 05:49 PM
Braxus watches the alien ship loom larger as his hands cranks back his crossbow with practiced skill. He reaches into his pack and draws out a bolt with an odd-looking mechanism on the end--a spring loaded grappling hook designed to expand once clear of the crossbow--and loads it in his weapon after tying it off to a length of silken rope (the other end tightly secured to a hook on his harness).

"Good advice, captain," he mumbles, grabbing the hilt of a broken orichalcum blade--one of the larger chunks he can find--and jamming it in his belt.

Madcrafter
2012-01-07, 07:30 PM
"Good thing we cen fly todey." Araton mutters to himself. He wanders over the orichalcum and takes a chunk of the untreated material, placing it in a pocket.

He sits down on the deck and pulls out his notebook, and begins sketching the object. His clothing morphs from the fine outfit he was wearing into a bezainted tunic over a sturdy shirt and pants, the cane turning into a staff; all more suited for the potential dangers that they might find inside.

He glances over at Braxus as he prepares the grappling bolt. "Ere we going to be needing those to get inside? Or ere you just going to heng on to it if the ship sterts to fell?"

Using his hat to look more prepared. He's actually just wearing some quality travelling clothes and a cloak.

Madcrafter
2012-01-07, 07:33 PM
I guess it can't edit in a roll.

Perception (at the ship) - [roll0]

Rentaromon
2012-01-07, 08:29 PM
(for safety sake the captain says you should all grab a thing of both, ill assume you all do. If you want to specify what made item you would like just know it was made to make art and ceremonial items so anything that matches.)

radmelon
2012-01-07, 08:44 PM
In that case Tegvit grabs what looks like a spiral pendant and puts it on, so that it rests against his skin.

hydroplatypus
2012-01-07, 09:24 PM
Amarath walks over to the orichalcum crates, looking a little nervous. She tries to avoid thinking about their situation, and the chances of the ship falling out of the sky. She tries to maintain conversation with Adam while taking several random chunks of orichalcum from the crates, in order to distract herself from their predicament. She places a 1 piece of each in her bag of holding, and one of each type in her pockets.

"That is exceedingly interesting. Usually the tribes don't like outsiders too much, how did you get them to trust you enough to teach you magic?"

She then sees Braxus tying rope to his crossbow bolt/grappling hook, and takes her crossbow out of her bag. She proceeds to tie her rope around a bolt, just in case. She knows it won't be as effective as Braxus' grappling hook, but it must be better than nothing.

Bhaakon
2012-01-07, 10:43 PM
Braxus shoots an annoyed glance at Araton. "Going down with the ship is for captains and cargo, and I'm neither," he says as he picks up a fist-sized nugget of the unfired orichalcum and stuffs it in a pouch.

Madcrafter
2012-01-09, 02:37 PM
Araton appears unfazed by Braxus's retort, it seeming to be the response he was expecting. Seeing no negative reaction to Amarath taking multiple pieces of orichalcum, he gets up and takes a few more pieces himself, putting two in his bag and another in his pocket.
"Never, hurts to be prepered." he says, and quietly after "Or to bring back a few samples."

He puts his staff away in his bag and pulls out a light crossbow instead.

3 more pieces, two treated, one untreated (for a total of four).

Zonugal
2012-01-09, 03:05 PM
Cadius grabs himself two nice ornate, orichalcum items and places them deep into the pockets of his armored coat.

"I don't want to be a drowned cat," spotting Araton pulling out a light crossbow, "But I don't think some bolts are going to provide much offense up in there. If anything it may register as hostile intent to any operator we may stumble upon."

Madcrafter
2012-01-09, 05:59 PM
"Ehe! I em merely prepping my own method of escent, seeing as the others are doing the same." He pulls a grappling bolt of a slightly different design from Braxus's out of his bag with a flourish. "Or es our friend over there put it, ensuring I become neither ceptein nor cergo. Felling from greet heights is not en experience I like to repeet often."

hydroplatypus
2012-01-12, 04:44 PM
Amarath looks at Araton and seems amused by what he had just said. After a small laugh she asks in an innocent sounding voice So you have fallen from great heights before? how ever did you survive?

Madcrafter
2012-01-12, 10:40 PM
"Only e few times, end it wes elweys megic thet got me out. Mind you, it usuelly tekes megic to get into such e situetion in the first plece. The first time I hed e friendly witch doctor with me, we were felling out of e ruined tower, end I wes lucky he knew feether fell. Second time I hed e fly spell hendy. The third wes the result of e bed teleportetion eccident, end it wes the worst. I remembered I hed e summoning spell though, end meneged to cresh lend my gient bet on the side of e mountein. Took me two weeks to get beck to civilization."

Bhaakon
2012-01-13, 05:44 PM
Braxus smiles to himself as he turns toward the looming ship. It's a good thing he used 'bed' teleportation, or that could have ended badly.