PDA

View Full Version : A New Synnibarr is coming soon!

JupiterPaladin
2011-12-31, 10:13 PM
In the last year my obsession with bad RPG books landed me into a somewhat regular contact with Raven C. S. McCracken himself! He is in fact revamping the World of Synnibarr and it will be a series of 7 books this time. He plans to start alpha-testing next week. I'm hoping this one fares a little better but I doubt it will, but that won't stop him from trying! I can't promise any spoilers or anything at this time, mainly because work will prevent me from being part of the playtesting :smallmad:

On a side note, Raven is a lot nicer than I thought he'd be. He is rather eccentric, and communicating with him seems surreal at times, like we're on different planets or something! To me that's a good thing. He's definitely having a good time no matter where he goes :smallwink:

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-01-01, 03:05 AM
To quote the famous RPG motivational poster: man what.

Though to be honest, I still don't get the joke it was communicating. All I saw was a picture of a bear with lazer eyes and a shellfish shooting fire and flying. Are those things common in this Synnibarr?

Totally Guy
2012-01-01, 04:46 AM
I looked this up.

It's in RPG.net's bottom 10 games (http://index.rpg.net/index.phtml?type=Worst&count=50&page=1). Ouch!

Yuki Akuma
2012-01-01, 06:56 AM
To quote the famous RPG motivational poster: man what.

Though to be honest, I still don't get the joke it was communicating. All I saw was a picture of a bear with lazer eyes and a shellfish shooting fire and flying. Are those things common in this Synnibarr?

Yes.

Unironically looking forward to Synnibarr 2.0.

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2012-01-01, 11:49 AM
I might actually be persuaded to help play test this.

Lateral
2012-01-01, 11:54 AM
It's in RPG.net's bottom 10 games (http://index.rpg.net/index.phtml?type=Worst&count=50&page=1). Ouch!

Wait, I can't make heads or tails of that list. (Also, if I'm reading it correctly, Synnibarr is number 11, and FATAL is only 5, with a Pathfinder splat in last. That doesn't make sense.)

kaomera
2012-01-01, 12:00 PM
Wait, I can't make heads or tails of that list. (Also, if I'm reading it correctly, Synnibarr is number 11, and FATAL is only 5, with a Pathfinder splat in last. That doesn't make sense.)
It's based on numerical user ratings. A lot of stuff at the bottom of the list just has very few / no ratings yet.

horseboy
2012-01-02, 01:43 PM
I actually got a letter from him once. He sent me a free module. He seemed cool, but crazy.
Maybe he'll get a good editor this time. Believe it or not it had a good idea, but there's just whole chunks of stuff missing that makes you go "Wait, what? Where did this come from? Where's the rules for these?"

Less Weed, more editing and it might be good.

JupiterPaladin
2012-01-03, 08:26 PM
horseboy - Raven is indeed crazy, no doubt about it. It used to be an arrogant crazy though, which has turned for the better into more of a party guy insane, you know, the fun kind! He's a lot more personable than he once was, and has also taken refuge in the silliness that elevated Synnibarr to it's legendary bad status in the RPG world. How he is changing the new version is a mystery to me so far, but he has indeed learned to accept criticism and embrace it. Just yesterday he was groaning about how the new illustrator messed up his bears with laser eyes! He wanted to capture the infamy it has risen to. I see this all as positive change for him and I'm excited to see what he comes up with next!

Diskhotep
2012-01-04, 12:54 AM
In the last year my obsession with bad RPG books landed me into a somewhat regular contact with Raven C. S. McCracken himself! He is in fact revamping the World of Synnibarr and it will be a series of 7 books this time. He plans to start alpha-testing next week. I'm hoping this one fares a little better but I doubt it will, but that won't stop him from trying! I can't promise any spoilers or anything at this time, mainly because work will prevent me from being part of the playtesting :smallmad:

On a side note, Raven is a lot nicer than I thought he'd be. He is rather eccentric, and communicating with him seems surreal at times, like we're on different planets or something! To me that's a good thing. He's definitely having a good time no matter where he goes :smallwink:

That is incredibly awesome. Synnibar has always been one of my guilty pleasures, and I even ran a short campaign of it that sadly collapsed under its own weight. If he ever needs any free proofreading, I'll be happy to offer my assistance (though like you, my time for playtesting anything as of late has been stolen by work and child).

Nerd-o-rama
2012-01-04, 09:36 AM
horseboy - Raven is indeed crazy, no doubt about it. It used to be an arrogant crazy though, which has turned for the better into more of a party guy insane, you know, the fun kind! He's a lot more personable than he once was, and has also taken refuge in the silliness that elevated Synnibarr to it's legendary bad status in the RPG world. How he is changing the new version is a mystery to me so far, but he has indeed learned to accept criticism and embrace it. Just yesterday he was groaning about how the new illustrator messed up his bears with laser eyes! He wanted to capture the infamy it has risen to. I see this all as positive change for him and I'm excited to see what he comes up with next!

So basically he's Andrew W. K.?

horseboy
2012-01-04, 04:05 PM
So basically he's Andrew W. K.?

Hmm, yeah, I could see that. An Andrew W. K. that LARPed.