PDA

View Full Version : I Think I'm a Burning Head (Burning Wheel Gold)

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-01-01, 01:21 AM
Well, guess what somebody got from Santa? :smallcool:

I devoured Burning Wheel Gold in a mere day, and then went back to reread sections, again and again. I burned up (yes, I'm even using language like that now) a character whilst watching Firefly, and was struck by the realization that, in a mere hour and a half, I'd created something rife with more potential conflict and plot juicyness than I'd ever made before.

I've just burned up (and there is a reason I use that terminology...it's a very different process from most character creation nowadays) a character to play in a PBEM game, and yet again, I've created someone filled with awesome plotness and potential conflict, particularly with fellow party members.

Yes, I do admit that there's a lot of rules oddness, but it makes a whole lot more sense the more effort you make to understand the Burning Wheel mindset...and it's really incredible, when you get there. Am I saying that BW is the ultimate game to end all games? Of course not. It's a very particular style of RPG, a style of RPG that fits exactly with what I think I've been seeking. It's pretty sweet.

I might also add that, out of all the games which put off an air of pretentiousness, this is by far the most approachable, and it's easily the one which has earned the right to be pretentious. If I dare say so...it's managed to capture the magic that I first saw in RPGs, paging through a copy of Decipher's LOTR RPG in a bookstore.

Any other Burning Wheel fans out there?

Totally Guy
2012-01-01, 04:33 AM
I'm a big fan of the game. I've even flown out to New York to meet Luke and his team.

I'm impressed you read through it so fast. My brain would have exploded!

As for any advice, I'll reiterate something the book mention but with my own emphasis: The first 70 pages are the most important, understanding task/intent, say yes, let it ride, helping rules, beginners luck and artha is really important. Build your understanding on those things.

When I first read it, I tried to understand Fight and Duel of Wits and I tried to build my knowledge on them. This is a painful process.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-01-01, 09:55 AM
I'm a big fan of the game. I've even flown out to New York to meet Luke and his team.
NICE! Some day, I'd love to meet Luke at a con or something.

I'm impressed you read through it so fast. My brain would have exploded!
Ha, well...I suppose that having read the preview (Hub and Spokes) that Luke had up on his website did help. But, thanks! I just sorta gunned through it, and fell in love with the lifepaths and Emotional Magic. And, admittedly, I skimmed Fight, Duel of Wits, and Range and Cover the first time.

As for any advice, I'll reiterate something the book mention but with my own emphasis: The first 70 pages are the most important, understanding task/intent, say yes, let it ride, helping rules, beginners luck and artha is really important. Build your understanding on those things.

When I first read it, I tried to understand Fight and Duel of Wits and I tried to build my knowledge on them. This is a painful process.
Indeed. I've been reading those over and over again. I love how modular Burning Wheel seems to be, especially because I intend to run it for people here, and being able to slot in more and more of the rules as we go along is a definite boon. (For example, starting with Bloody Versus and sliding into Fight.)