PDA

View Full Version : Things you never got to do in a campaign

Aemoh87
2012-01-01, 06:24 AM
So I have ran a campaign I have written about 2 and a half times now, and I am about to run it one more time. But I was wondering what were some of the things Gitp wishes it had done/faced in a campaign. Lemme know so I can spice this run up (yes is has all been for different groups).

Kalegkos
2012-01-01, 06:36 AM
I am kinda new in D&D ((playing about 1,5 year)). What i would like to face in a campaign is lots of action. And i am not talking about never ending battles with stupid monsters. Smart action battles. For example that i have to find tricks to win the opponent so i have to think, not just raw damage until it falls down. And by tricks i don't mean the wizard only trying to find if it's weakness is fire or electricity :P Also i'd love to be part of some funny events. Recently my party had to race with horses. Spice it up for them. Make them do some funny, exciting old-fashion quests but with little changes. Give them as a quest to rescue the princess and the princess is an ogre but they didn't know it ((Shrek staff :P)). I am not mentioning the need of the epicness because i think that you already have added that into your campaign. I don't know if that's any helpful. Have a nice holidays!

Hirax
2012-01-01, 06:42 AM
I've given several characters ranks in forgery, including one for a game I'm joining hours from now, but I never get a chance to do anything with them.

Aemoh87
2012-01-01, 06:52 AM
I've given several characters ranks in forgery, including one for a game I'm joining hours from now, but I never get a chance to do anything with them.

Forgery is actually really important in my campaign. And there are alot of NPC's with ranks in it (especially to spot it). But a good forgery that only sees a couple eyes is always a amazing tool... but over use it and it's likely to fail eventually.

But to do almost anything you need papers, also there are lots of restricted access areas that you need papers to get into. The papers aren't always hard to obtain, but sometimes it's nice to have papers with someone else's name on it instead of your own.

meto30
2012-01-01, 08:11 AM
I have a strong affinity for political intrigue and civil strife, but as most of the players are not as history(politics)-savvy as I am they tend to miss a lot of subtle clues and hooks I drop into seemingly ordinary scenes (yes, I am the DM). For instance the current civil unrest in the Kingdom of Cormyr over the succession issue was foreshadowed by multiple events from months ago, such as the letter the party discovered back then, from Warmaster Du Pont(head of the local Church of War) to another cleric of War, regarding the lower ranking clergyman's stance on the 'issue at hand', mentioning the current regent's decision to remain neutral in an ongoing war between Chondath and Chessenta (which, although the party was unaware of this because of their not gathering any information on the subject, was somewhat unpopular with the nobility). The party did not dig deeper back then, reasoning that they had other more important things to do. Now that the situation is degrading rapidly (with some fearing actual civil war in the Kingdom) the party has to resort to more drastic options. This isn't the only intrigue hook the party is missing or had missed in the campaign, and I'm not angry about that or anything (the way the party choses to play is their business, and I as DM should comply, yes?) but I'd really love to involve all those plots of subtlety in the game.

Little Brother
2012-01-01, 08:21 AM
Have a game involving little but assassinations and politicy-stuffs.

Or just have a real opportunity for me and some of my friends to go all-out crazy.

CTrees
2012-01-01, 08:59 AM
Played a Githyanki. They're my favorite race, but it's just never happened, mostly due to not being approved.

jackattack
2012-01-01, 09:07 AM
In every game I've ever played, the DM only ever uses creatures that can challenge the PCs singly or in small groups, and never uses creatures again once they are outclassed by the PCs.

I'd really like a chance to see how far my character has come by facing something that challenge him a few levels ago, whether in a (hopefully) really short combat where he faces the same number as the original encounter or in a large combat where he faces numbers to pose an actual challenge.

If the game started with a fight with a small band of goblin bandits, let the party mow down a goblin army later in the campaign.

If an owl bear gave them problems early in the campaign, let the party dispatch one quickly and easily several levels later.

This will give your players a good sense of how far they've come, which can sometimes get lost if the DM is doing a really good job of balancing encounters.

Yora
2012-01-01, 09:07 AM
I never got to fight a dragon. Ran two dragon fights as a GM, but never faced one as a player.

Geigan
2012-01-01, 09:13 AM
I never got to finish my conversations with Tharizdun. He seemed like such a nice fellow and we only got to talk a couple times before the campaign ended.:smallfrown:

I've never had a character I'd planned to go mad, actually take the plunge off the deep end. The campaigns just never went long enough for it. Circumstances just killed our sessions so they never got off the ground. Ah well, I suppose sanity will just have to do.

I realize with great shame that I have never personally set something on fire. I've ordered it, suggested it, endorsed it, set up circumstances conducive towards it, cheered it on, but I have never actually initiated combustion myself. How can I call myself an adventurer?!:smalleek:

HunterOfJello
2012-01-01, 09:15 AM
Play more than 1 session that I wasn't DMing

AspectOfNihil
2012-01-01, 09:23 AM
I've always wanted a proper recurring boss, the sort that not only can challenge the party and have a decent chance of coming out on top but that also has multiple escape routes.

I've always liked the thought of having to neutralise escape routes before the combat even starts. For example collapsing a secret tunnel or destroying the other half of a teleportation circle. This would also give a way to familiarise the PCs with the villain when they may be too low level to face them and perhaps even find weaknesses.

Rimeheart
2012-01-01, 12:44 PM
I have yet to actually finish a campaign....

Daftendirekt
2012-01-01, 12:59 PM
Things you never got to do in a campaign

We have never gotten a campaign to the awesome conclusion the DM had planned out. We always have to end early for some reason, or get tired of it and start a new one.

EDIT: doh, ninja'd by rimeheart. :smalltongue:

Kol Korran
2012-01-01, 01:01 PM
i mostly Dmed and rarely been a player, but a few things i'd like to try perhaps:
- a mostly politics and intrigue game (though D&D is VERY ill suited for that.
- pirate game.
- mobsters game (not Team Evil For the slaughter... more like sopranos)
- a game from the "uncivilized" humanoids point ofview (hobgoblins and their ilk mostly)
- a planescape game done well (oh how i wish... :smallfrown:)
- something involving lots of Aberrations- Aboleht or Illithids as the main antagonist (i saw a mind flayer only once)
- i'd love to face a beholder... haven't yet.
- Pathfinder's kind maker, or any well built exploration and kingdom building game.

needless to say i'm in the process of trying to explore some of these possibilities as a DM. :smallamused:

lord pringle
2012-01-01, 01:04 PM
Some intrigue involving seelie and unseelie fey.

FMArthur
2012-01-01, 02:10 PM
Never got to be a master with an apprentice via Leadership, die to save him/her and then continue playing as the apprentice. I've always thought that would be really great. Especially if I made the apprentice something potentially stronger but weaker just because of its lower levels - like the master is a ninja and the apprentice is a swordsage. It's a very easy archetype to follow, really, but I've just never gotten around to it.

Madara
2012-01-01, 02:10 PM
Evil campaign, take over the world....it'd be awesome :smallannoyed:

Doktor Per
2012-01-01, 02:43 PM
I'm still waiting on a chance to do a wagon train battle, across several different wagons and carriages. Carts crashing, flipping over, kicking dudes off the roof of a carriage, off the bridge and into the river. Jumping at high speeds, killing the bad guy's horse, it crumbles in front of the black carriage, flying up into the air.
Baron Badfrey Vilain flies out, takes like 9d6 falling damage from a cart crash, but still chunky enough to fight the also beaten to a pulp heroes.

That would be pretty ballin'.

Daftendirekt
2012-01-01, 03:23 PM
I'm still waiting on a chance to do a wagon train battle, across several different wagons and carriages. Carts crashing, flipping over, kicking dudes off the roof of a carriage, off the bridge and into the river. Jumping at high speeds, killing the bad guy's horse, it crumbles in front of the black carriage, flying up into the air.
Baron Badfrey Vilain flies out, takes like 9d6 falling damage from a cart crash, but still chunky enough to fight the also beaten to a pulp heroes.

That would be pretty ballin'.

That sounds effing awesome.

Aemoh87
2012-01-01, 07:05 PM
I have a strong affinity for political intrigue and civil strife, but as most of the players are not as history(politics)-savvy as I am they tend to miss a lot of subtle clues and hooks I drop into seemingly ordinary scenes (yes, I am the DM).

There is a very political nature to this campaign as well as a large aspect of who does the party want to associate with and who do they want to distance themselves from. There are also no clear allies or enemies. Everyone has their own motives and goals, and sometimes if the party wants helps from one it means giving into their goals.

Have a game involving little but assassinations and politicy-stuffs.

Or just have a real opportunity for me and some of my friends to go all-out crazy.

It is set in a metropolis where thieves guilds have sectioned of the city each governing it's own territory as it sees fit. Assassinations and sabotage are amazing. The civics is also being commandeered from the current government by a shady merchants guild. Some one is bound to get Assassinated/politic'd

I never got to fight a dragon. Ran two dragon fights as a GM, but never faced one as a player.

I really wanna include one but I don't know where. But I have never faced one either in several years of playing.

Play more than 1 session that I wasn't DMing

I weep for you.

I've always wanted a proper recurring boss, the sort that not only can challenge the party and have a decent chance of coming out on top but that also has multiple escape routes.

The boss for this one is amazing! So the BBEG is a huge and complex orc army that almost appeared out of nowhere. The sweet part is it is lead by a sword of everlasting glory (villain design handbook from kingdoms of kalamar) who only wants to destroy the metropolis. Its neat because there is no way the party gets it the first time, most likely they will sell the sword :) In the end of the campaign the sword will manifest itself as a massive zeitgeist (from cityscape) and the party will have to navigate the parts of the city that form it's body in search of where the sword is hidden. So technically other than some trash mobs there is no final battle, more like a final challenge. There are some anti easy win mobs too, things like flight will come at a great risk.

We have never gotten a campaign to the awesome conclusion the DM had planned out. We always have to end early for some reason, or get tired of it and start a new one.

EDIT: doh, ninja'd by rimeheart. :smalltongue:

I have TPK once, not finished once, and got one EPIC ending once where the party was on the edge of their seat for an impromptu 13 hour session

There is also tons of reoccurring orc enemies that are identifiable, beholders, tons of fey, a wild west morality, and 5 expansive dungeons (one set in the city streets). I am excited, just gotta find a place for a damn dragon!

Paul H
2012-01-01, 07:14 PM
Hi

Never got to finish Night Below campaign.

Tried as GM in 2nd Ed - most way through last (3rd) book.
Twice ran 3.5 conversion - furthest we got was book 3
Started PF conversion, but barely stared book one
Currently running PF conversion, just the caves to finish Book one.

Thanks
Paul H

meto30
2012-01-01, 07:45 PM
I really wanna include a dragon but I don't know where. But I have never faced one either in several years of playing.

Black and Blue dragons make excellent schemers, and there are some other dragon types out there with better shapeshifting capabilities that allow them to infiltrate any city environment provided they have some good spells and/or have spellcasting minions. One might be leading one of those guilds you mentioned in secret, building up its infrastructure so that one day he might claim the whole city and take the palatial treasury as his hoard. Another (gold works best I think) might be hidden amongst the cityfolk as a vigilante-style guy, perhaps he is looking for mighty and good-heared adventurers whom he can guide as a mentor figure. The fact that dragons are innately magic means that the party spellcaster might be drawn by the wealth of arcane knowledge such a powerful creature can offer.

Aemoh87
2012-01-01, 08:04 PM
Black and Blue dragons make excellent schemers, and there are some other dragon types out there with better shapeshifting capabilities that allow them to infiltrate any city environment provided they have some good spells and/or have spellcasting minions. One might be leading one of those guilds you mentioned in secret, building up its infrastructure so that one day he might claim the whole city and take the palatial treasury as his hoard. Another (gold works best I think) might be hidden amongst the cityfolk as a vigilante-style guy, perhaps he is looking for mighty and good-heared adventurers whom he can guide as a mentor figure. The fact that dragons are innately magic means that the party spellcaster might be drawn by the wealth of arcane knowledge such a powerful creature can offer.

I just remember there is a black dragon in one of my dungeons but he is young adult and there isn't a ton of space to fly in his room. But I wanna have a classic red dragon on top of a mountain fight sometime :) That'd be nice.

meto30
2012-01-01, 08:17 PM
I just remember there is a black dragon in one of my dungeons but he is young adult and there isn't a ton of space to fly in his room. But I wanna have a classic red dragon on top of a mountain fight sometime :) That'd be nice.

What's better: A red dragon middle-boss fight on the rooftops. The dragon can destroy buildings with his fire, perhaps have his surviving minions try to stop the party too. If the party is flying too, have archer minions climb up and try to shoot them. Feels pretty epic especially if you have good music serving as soundtrack. And also, dragon fly-by attack rocks!

killem2
2012-01-05, 01:30 PM
Level a character to 20, from 1, with the same group. I'm the dm this time around. By god, it will happen.

Zubrowka74
2012-01-05, 02:04 PM
I'd like to try starting a campaing at zero-level and actually play the training to achieve level 1. There was a ruleset for that in 2ed but I never got to try it as a player or DM.

- a game from the "uncivilized" humanoids point ofview (hobgoblins and their ilk mostly)

You can download the We Be Goblins! module for free on Paizo's website. Loads of fun!

Volos
2012-01-05, 02:36 PM
There is nothing that I have wanted to do in a campaign that I haven't done, as far as I can recall anyway. Some of the more noteable doings have been...

Had a huge naval battle against a vampire (he was, when mortal, from an aquatic race so it was fine by RAW)
Dropped the BBEG into a gaping maw in the earth from orbit
Had a God obtain the highest ultimate power and become the DM
Play a Diplomancer Bard from 1-20 without dying once

Morcleon
2012-01-05, 04:33 PM
Never got to use Shadow Garrote/Noose as an "I find your lack of faith disturbing." :P

Sudain
2012-01-05, 07:19 PM
* Sneak in and kill people assassin cread style
* Lie. I had high ranks in bluff + glibness, forgery, and enchantment/illusion spell lines. LET ME LIE AND GET AWAY WITH IT!!!! :smallfurious:
* Fight a hard dragon.
* Kill a player(as dm).
* Use planar binding
Edit:
* Fight a beholder
* fight a hydra
* Fight/play an illithid
* Be a half-fiend
* Be evil - not evil-stupid. Just despicably evil.
* Have a shield last more than 1 combat. Especially when it's a tower shield worth 1/2 of my WBL at level 9. :smallfurious: