PDA

View Full Version : Discord VS The Mask

Newman
2012-01-01, 03:06 PM
Er... I'm violating pretty much every VS thread guideline here... but, really, what's there to say? Two very self-centered reality warpers with few inhibitions, an obsession for fun and a sadistic sense of humour find themselves in the same setting.

Honestly I have no idea how to justify the Mask (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=sRUvbeP_vCo) being in Equestria, since that would require Loki's presence... as for having Ipkiss be the Bearer...

¿Could the Mask in fact be the physical representation of the element of Discord? ¿Could it beat Discord at his own game?

Maybe not... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-law2Ma4H-M)

I think it could (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM).

Would they fight. Would they collaborate? How would they interact?

Coidzor
2012-01-01, 04:46 PM
Depending upon the wearer, the Mask actually does have a twisted form of morality. Part of his shtick is also that there is a sense of normalcy remaining in the world so that his audaciousness and daring deeds have something to contrast against.

Discord, while possibly not of the kind of refined cruelty as men who put women and children to the sword, is an example of the wanton cruelty of children, who cause harm for their own amusement and destroy things that interest them. Or bore them.

And with Discord warping all of reality around him until it's not really fun to make fun with, that'd likely leave Discord as the primary target of the Mask's capriciousness.

In a world where there's no longer any meaning, such as what Discord creates when not subjected to a fate worse than death, the Mask would not have nearly as much fun, I venture.

Forum Explorer
2012-01-01, 05:38 PM
Well lets establish who is using the mask since that really determines its style. I don't see anyone working along with Discord though.

Newman
2012-01-01, 05:58 PM
The obvious Bearer for the Mask would be Fluttershy, obviously. With those powers, she could be a superhero, fight crime, aim for world peace... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kofOJDzckbM)

Tebryn
2012-01-01, 06:01 PM
Are we going off the movie Mask or the comic Mask that the movie was inspired by. That would change a lot. I'd say the Mask would win in that case.

doliest
2012-01-01, 06:10 PM
Would they work together? Depends on the bearer of The Mask. Someone who found Discord messing with...well...everything funny might work with him. If not...

Discord wins. The two are similar characters, but, from what I remember of The Mask comics, 'Big Head' was powerful, but not nearly to Discord's level. Big Man is a superhero who pulls things out of nowhere. Discord rearranges an entire world, screws with the Sun and the Moon, mind controls people because, hey, why not. It's a problem of scale.

Fan
2012-01-01, 06:13 PM
Depending upon the wearer, the Mask actually does have a twisted form of morality. Part of his shtick is also that there is a sense of normalcy remaining in the world so that his audaciousness and daring deeds have something to contrast against.

Discord, while possibly not of the kind of refined cruelty as men who put women and children to the sword, is an example of the wanton cruelty of children, who cause harm for their own amusement and destroy things that interest them. Or bore them.

And with Discord warping all of reality around him until it's not really fun to make fun with, that'd likely leave Discord as the primary target of the Mask's capriciousness.

In a world where there's no longer any meaning, such as what Discord creates when not subjected to a fate worse than death, the Mask would not have nearly as much fun, I venture.

Well considering Discord by himself is stronger than the combined might of the Star Moving Goddesses (Luna is canonically also in control of the billion star strong night sky.) that rule over Equestria, and can randomly warp reality at will...

If this is a straight up fight, he wins.

It's the difference between on screen nigh omnipotent reality warping, and the ability to dodge bullets and operate on a level below super man.

Newman
2012-01-01, 06:16 PM
Well, rather than a difference in the Mask itself it's a difference in the weilder. Movie Ipkiss is different from Comic Ipkiss, and in fact, in the movie, when a vllain gets his hands on the Mask, the effect is much closer to that of the comics: a completely unrestrained sociopath with unlimited power to act on it. Of course, were you to give it to the Joker, the only difference would be the power part.

Movie Ipkiss makes a wonderful Mask because his imagination is extremely troperiffic, heavily grounded in classic cartoons and popculture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFldSKSCTkk). He's basically a huge closet geek with a soft heart and a huge unfulfilled libido.

While Fluttershy bearing the Mask would be interesting in that she's the most inhibited of the Mane Six, I have to wonder... Pinkie Pie already has many of the Mask's powers, but she seems terribly bound by the Rule Of Funny rather than being able to use them at will like the Mask would... What effect would a Mask have on her? Would she just be... herself? Like a human eating a Human-Human devil fruit?

Discord wins. The two are similar characters, but, from what I remember of The Mask comics, 'Big Head' was powerful, but not nearly to Discord's level. Big Man is a superhero who pulls things out of nowhere. Discord rearranges an entire world, screws with the Sun and the Moon, mind controls people because, hey, why not. It's a problem of scale.

I think it would also be a matter of their senses of humour clashing. Discord's humour is based on childish OCD chaosmongering, and on tormeinting people and messing with them. It's a power trip over the world, over others. Ipkiss!Mask's humour is based on exuberance and emotion and self-expression, on being onself to the fullest capacity and just dragging others along for the ride. Discord wants to be a petty tyrant, Ipkiss wants to be himself. Like a Glee kid to the nth power. I wouldn't know about Equestrian characters...

So their humours would clash. The matter being, would Discord find the Mask amusing enough to keep him around? And would the Mask, given time, figure out a way to out-troll him? How would they mess with each other? One-upmanship?

As for scale... I think the only reason the Mask operates on a scale as small as Hammerspace is because he doesn't try. We've seen him act upon spaces the size of a theater or a ballroom. Who's to say he can't alter an entire city? And that's not mentioning ANIMATED Mask, who can pull very very huge tricks. He became a Kaiju Sumo Wrestler once.

doliest
2012-01-01, 06:18 PM
Pinkie is already a descendent of Loki so it probably wouldn't change much....no, wait, that was fanfiction.

Probably just make her powers more pronounced. And noticeable.

Fan
2012-01-01, 06:20 PM
Well, rather than a difference in the Mask itself it's a difference in the weilder. Movie Ipkiss is different from Comic Ipkiss, and in fact, in the movie, when a vllain gets his hands on the Mask, the effect is much closer to that of the comics: a completely unrestrained sociopath with unlimited power to act on it. Of course, were you to give it to the Joker, the only difference would be the power part.

Movie Ipkiss makes a wonderful Mask because his imagination is extremely troperiffic, heavily grounded in classic cartoons and popculture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFldSKSCTkk). He's basically a huge closet geek with a soft heart and a huge unfulfilled libido.

While Fluttershy bearing the Mask would be interesting in that she's the most inhibited of the Mane Six, I have to wonder... Pinkie Pie already has many of the Mask's powers, but she seems terribly bound by the Rule Of Funny rather than being able to use them at will like the Mask would... What effect would a Mask have on her? Would she just be... herself? Like a human eating a Human-Human devil fruit?

Again, Discord is canonically more powerful than beings who have the power to (at least) destroy planets by themselves and acts on whimsy more than anything else.

I don't see.. how the Mask of all people could really stand up to him.

Superman maybe. The mask.. not so much.

Newman
2012-01-01, 06:27 PM
Superman maybe.

BWAHAHAHA. Unless you mean Silver Age Superman, but that guy was broken. No, Discord would just hypnotize him: Supes is vulnerable to magic, remember? No, if you want to bring in someone from DC I suggest...

The Sandman.

But then the fight would be short, wouldn't it?

Coidzor
2012-01-01, 06:36 PM
^: What, are you positing some sort of incarnation of the Mask itself without a wearer?

Well considering Discord by himself is stronger than the combined might of the Star Moving Goddesses (Luna is canonically also in control of the billion star strong night sky.) that rule over Equestria, and can randomly warp reality at will...

Eh, we have no real way of gauging the strength of the God Empress for that comparison to really mean anything. Especially since the solution was to imprison him in a stone statue that cracked the moment a few kids had an argument near it in order to be allegorilicious.

doliest
2012-01-01, 06:41 PM
To be fair, the hold weakening enough to break at all was also due to the Elements being passed over to new bearers.

And, while we can't say how strong the God-Empresses are, Discord seems to hold most of the abilities of Q, really only lacking the ability to skip forward in time. Big Man is strong, but, well, it's the difference between a powerful superhero, and a god.

Selrahc
2012-01-01, 06:41 PM
Again, Discord is canonically more powerful than beings who have the power to (at least) destroy planets by themselves and acts on whimsy more than anything else.

The Princesses do not have the power to destroy planets. That's just your speculation.

Is the sun of Equestria the same as the Earth's sun?
Given that almost every other aspect of geography and meteorology is different, it would actually be shocking if the moon and stars are the same as in the real world. This is a world where trees lose their leaves because ponies run past and shake them off, and where clouds and rainbows are made in factories.

Does Celestia have perfect control of it?
Maybe she can just cause it to rise and set. We certainly never see her do more than that, and it isn't actually claimed she can use the sun as some sort of galactic wrecking ball.

What other magic can she do?
She runs a magic school and a magic kingdom, she has a magic horn. So she can probably do something, but we've never seen her actually do much magic.

No answer to any of those questions have ever been given in the series. What you're doing is attributing power based on scant evidence. Don't talk about fan ideas like they're cast iron facts.

Newman
2012-01-01, 06:47 PM
To be precise, Missus Faust kept those details vague on purpose.

Fitting. You don't want to know what a god can or can't do, because it always gives rise to questions... and/or people trying to exploit your potential weaknesses. Ask Death Note's Shinigami, Neil Gaiman's Lucifer Morningstar, or God Of War's... cast... (http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/84)

doliest
2012-01-01, 06:48 PM
Don't talk about fan ideas like they're cast iron facts.

You don't really need to for this match-up. Teleportation, High-end Reality Warping, Mind Control. That is all cast iron fact. And it is enough to beat The Mask.

Edit:We really do need to figure out a better match up so that there can actually be discussion...hm better reality warping chaos figure to pair up...

Reverent-One
2012-01-01, 06:49 PM
To be fair, the hold weakening enough to break at all was also due to the Elements being passed over to new bearers.

And, while we can't say how strong the God-Empresses are, Discord seems to hold most of the abilities of Q, really only lacking the ability to skip forward in time. Big Man is strong, but, well, it's the difference between a powerful superhero, and a god.

I don't really have a horse pony in this race, but isn't just comparing their power an incomplete analysis? I mean, according to the wiki, Discord is overconfident, which lead to him begin defeated by Twilight Sparkle who is, to my (incomplete) understanding, also closer to the superhero than a god.

Newman
2012-01-01, 06:49 PM
eleportation, High-end Reality Warping, Mind Control.

The Mask can do all that too, you know.

doliest
2012-01-01, 06:50 PM
She and her friends gathered the Six Maguffins to seal him. Unless we give the Mask the Elements, and five friends to wield them with him, that door is closed.

The Mask can do all that too, you know.

Comic or Movie version? I don't remember any of that in the Comic version. Haven't seen the Movie.

Selrahc
2012-01-01, 06:53 PM
You don't really need to for this match-up. Teleportation, High-end Reality Warping, Mind Control. That is all cast iron fact. And it is enough to beat The Mask.

Yes. That's fair enough.

pffh
2012-01-01, 06:55 PM
Edit:We really do need to figure out a better match up so that there can actually be discussion...hm better reality warping chaos figure to pair up...

Fully powered Jyggalag vs Discord? The most powerful Daedric Prince and the embodiment of order vs chaos himself.

Reverent-One
2012-01-01, 06:55 PM
She and her friends gathered the Six Maguffins to seal him. Unless we give the Mask the Elements, and five friends to wield them with him, that door is closed.

The OP doesn't list a location, but if the mask was somehow teleported to Equestria, the use of the Maguffins would be an aspect that should be considered.

doliest
2012-01-01, 06:59 PM
Fully powered Jyggalag vs Discord? The most powerful Daedric Prince and the embodiment of order vs chaos himself.

If I knew more about Jyggalag, I would probably love the idea.

The OP doesn't list a location, but if the mask was somehow teleported to Equestria, the use of the Maguffins would be an aspect that should be considered.

A point. However, it still requires five friends, all embodying the Elements. The Mask represents Laughter, but, well, even in Equastria I doubt people wanna be his friend.

Fan
2012-01-01, 07:02 PM
The Princesses do not have the power to destroy planets. That's just your speculation.

Is the sun of Equestria the same as the Earth's sun?
Given that almost every other aspect of geography and meteorology is different, it would actually be shocking if the moon and stars are the same as in the real world. This is a world where trees lose their leaves because ponies run past and shake them off, and where clouds and rainbows are made in factories.

Does Celestia have perfect control of it?
Maybe she can just cause it to rise and set. We certainly never see her do more than that, and it isn't actually claimed she can use the sun as some sort of galactic wrecking ball.

What other magic can she do?
She runs a magic school and a magic kingdom, she has a magic horn. So she can probably do something, but we've never seen her actually do much magic.

No answer to any of those questions have ever been given in the series. What you're doing is attributing power based on scant evidence. Don't talk about fan ideas like they're cast iron facts.

Considering your average pegasus has the ability to drop a Rain Nuke (considering FLUTTERSHY can keep up with Rainbow Dash when Fluttershy (canonically and repeatedly the weakest flyer ever) it's a matter of motivation.) with a yield large enough to produce this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyBNEOP-Bk), I'd say that The God Empress of Ponykind being able to control the Sun is not exactly allegorical as her imprisonment meant the immediate leave of the sun in episode 1 alone.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is canonically stated repeatedly in oh.. this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0onZ38L3eQY) put out by Hasbro, and she's stated to have the capability to independently control both the sun and the moon by herself (no allegory, actual statement.), so allow us to calculate the amount of energy needed to actually move a main sequence star of around Sol's stellar mass!

Let's see the sun is around 1,989,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg which has to be "raised" at the same rate the Earth Rotates and has to be "moved" in Equestria to revolve around the planet as would be the only explanation for the sun needing to be raised.

So it'd need to keep up with the standard Earth rotation speed of 67000 miles per second which with force required to move something being mass times acceleration in meters / second 107826048 m/s is the ROUGH translation.. so.. it requires..

2.14466009 × 10^38 newtons of force to "raise" the sun, she does this with no noticeable strain every morning, and does so in a public demonstration once a year lasting a few seconds.

Jahkaivah
2012-01-01, 07:03 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/saxcsa/Noneatall-1.png

Pinkie Pie put on the Mask.

There were no survivors.

Zevox
2012-01-01, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I don't actually know anything detailed the Mask, as all I've ever seen of him are trailers for the movie, but even just from those I'd doubt he could do that. Using the Elements of Harmony requires strongly embodying the things they represent: Loyalty, Compassion, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, and Magic (which in this context means Friendship). Just from those trailers I can be pretty confident that the Mask could never wield all six elements on his own, and would have a hell of a time rounding up friends who could wield them with him even if he could wield one of them himself.

Zevox

doliest
2012-01-01, 07:04 PM
We're never actually told the Sun is the same size as our in the Pony Verse. And more to the point, Luna is Celestia's equal, implying the Sun and The Moon are equals in the Pony-Verse.
My lord, I'm debating this. What has become of my life!? :smallwink::smalltongue:

Fan
2012-01-01, 07:05 PM
We're never actually told the Sun is the same size as our in the Pony Verse. And more to the point, Luna is Celestia's equal, implying the Sun and The Moon are equals in the Pony-Verse.
My lord, I'm debating this. What has become of my life!? :smallwink::smalltongue:

Because she ALSO controls the night sky on top of the moon, her ability to arrange the billions of stars that fill the night sky only imply that Celestia's day job is a little easier, and also explains why she's the one that gets saddled with all the diplomacy. =V

And for Equestria we can basically assume "The same as Earth, but." due to the presence of seasons (even if they are pony controlled via magic.), the presence of every variety of apple, flower, etc that we have in real life, and also due to the presence of things like Volcano's, and various other formations that indicate that they also have the standard tetonic plate shifts that we do.

Coidzor
2012-01-01, 07:08 PM
2.14466009 × 10^38 newtons of force to "raise" the sun, she does this with no noticeable strain every morning, and does so in a public demonstration once a year lasting a few seconds.

Or.... She tells it to and it does. Because she's, like, a goddess.

Which is simpler and more in keeping with the tone of her presentation than your interpretation.

doliest
2012-01-01, 07:13 PM
Really, as I said, we need to find a better opponent. I like the earlier suggestion, though I don't know enough about the presented opponent to weigh in on it.

Fan
2012-01-01, 07:13 PM
That's more conjecture based than my interpretation, given that magic is something done via study of mystical forces, and application of a natural resovoir of magic that can be applied to different things (explained in Episode: Boast Busters. AKA: The Great and Powerful Episode.), and how most people only have enough magical "force" to apply it to a few simple tricks whereas Twilight is powerful enough to do a multitude of things like Teleportation, manipulation of massive objects over kilometer sized distances with fine motor control, and the ability to lift creatures well over the size of a house off the ground.

The degrees of "magic" can be applied to other things, and Celestia quite clearly uses "magic" to raise the sun as indicated by the glow of her horn that also manifests for simple things like lifting a teacup, or when she also teleports.

Reverent-One
2012-01-01, 07:17 PM
A point. However, it still requires five friends, all embodying the Elements. The Mask represents Laughter, but, well, even in Equastria I doubt people wanna be his friend.

Yeah, I don't actually know anything detailed the Mask, as all I've ever seen of him are trailers for the movie, but even just from those I'd doubt he could do that. Using the Elements of Harmony requires strongly embodying the things they represent: Loyalty, Compassion, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty, and Magic (which in this context means Friendship). Just from those trailers I can be pretty confident that the Mask could never wield all six elements on his own, and would have a hell of a time rounding up friends who could wield them with him even if he could wield one of them himself.

Zevox

Fair points, though considering that the Mask seems to be different based on the wearer, would the Mask having pony-wearer change how this would play out?

Forum Explorer
2012-01-01, 07:21 PM
Considering your average pegasus has the ability to drop a Rain Nuke (considering FLUTTERSHY can keep up with Rainbow Dash when Fluttershy (canonically and repeatedly the weakest flyer ever) it's a matter of motivation.) with a yield large enough to produce this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyBNEOP-Bk), I'd say that The God Empress of Ponykind being able to control the Sun is not exactly allegorical as her imprisonment meant the immediate leave of the sun in episode 1 alone.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is canonically stated repeatedly in oh.. this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0onZ38L3eQY) put out by Hasbro, and she's stated to have the capability to independently control both the sun and the moon by herself (no allegory, actual statement.), so allow us to calculate the amount of energy needed to actually move a main sequence star of around Sol's stellar mass!

Let's see the sun is around 1,989,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg which has to be "raised" at the same rate the Earth Rotates and has to be "moved" in Equestria to revolve around the planet as would be the only explanation for the sun needing to be raised.

So it'd need to keep up with the standard Earth rotation speed of 67000 miles per second which with force required to move something being mass times acceleration in meters / second 107826048 m/s is the ROUGH translation.. so.. it requires..

Lots of kinda flaws in your arguement.

To start off we don't know if Equestria is a the same as the Earth in anyway. (How long is a day in Equestria? How big is it? IS IT EVEN ROUND!?)

The unicorns used to raise the sun and the moon themselves without Celestia's help.

Rainbow Dash wasn't exactly going all out in that chase scene and was already being slowed down. Finally Fluttershy only managed to keep Applejack in range not catch up.

I don't think you can say Rainbow Dash is an average pegasi either. She is the only pegasus capable of the Sonic Rainboom and is an athlete as well being a paragon of loyalty.

Selrahc
2012-01-01, 07:22 PM
Considering your average pegasus has the ability to drop a Rain Nuke (considering FLUTTERSHY can keep up with Rainbow Dash when Fluttershy (canonically and repeatedly the weakest flyer ever) it's a matter of motivation.) with a yield large enough to produce this, I'd say that The God Empress of Ponykind being able to control the Sun is not exactly allegorical as her imprisonment meant the immediate leave of the sun in episode 1 alone.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is canonically stated repeatedly in oh.. this video put out by Hasbro, and she's stated to have the capability to independently control both the sun and the moon by herself (no allegory, actual statement.), so allow us to calculate the amount of energy needed to actually move a main sequence star of around Sol's stellar mass!

That's more conjecture based than my interpretation, given that magic is something done via study of mystical forces, and application of a natural resovoir of magic that can be applied to different things (explained in Episode: Boast Busters. AKA: The Great and Powerful Episode.), and how most people only have enough magical "force" to apply it to a few simple tricks whereas Twilight is powerful enough to do a multitude of things like Teleportation, manipulation of massive objects over kilometer sized distances with fine motor control, and the ability to lift creatures well over the size of a house off the ground.

The degrees of "magic" can be applied to other things, and Celestia quite clearly uses "magic" to raise the sun as indicated by the glow of her horn that also manifests for simple things like lifting a teacup, or when she also teleports.

Once again, this is all your speculation. Calling it canon is a massive stretch.
Surely you realize that?

Coidzor
2012-01-01, 07:25 PM
That's more conjecture based than my interpretation

Your interpretation is based upon nothing but conjecture. You state that Equestria must be earth - humans + magic talking ponies and dragons, because you believe it despite ample evidence of them not following our physical laws except in a very lip-servicey fashion because it's a cartoon. Then you elicit a cloud of numbers like a squid shooting out ink, like those really have any meaning or context for the show or issue at hand.

And you deliberately disregard any possibility but the one that you are dead set on arguing. Because her horn glowing must mean that she is physically lifting the sun. As opposed to sending a message to it to move. Or that because she moves the sun she must be capable of moving anything on that mass scale and lower. Instead of having a special bond with it.

doliest
2012-01-01, 07:26 PM
Fair points, though considering that the Mask seems to be different based on the wearer, would the Mask having pony-wearer change how this would play out?

Possibly, though again, the largest problem is that we don't know the requirements to hold all six at once. The only recorded case is Celestia, who used them against Nightmare Moon. And afterwards never used them again. Comparatively, it took Celestia AND Luna wielding them to defeat Discord the first time, and six mortal ponies wielding them the second.

The vague backstory on this issue, being told in a storybook format, makes it hard to figure out if Big Man could wield all six, and if one person wielding all six would be able to defeat Discord.

Fan
2012-01-01, 07:29 PM
Lots of kinda flaws in your arguement.

To start off we don't know if Equestria is a the same as the Earth in anyway. (How long is a day in Equestria? How big is it? IS IT EVEN ROUND!?)

The unicorns used to raise the sun and the moon themselves without Celestia's help.

Rainbow Dash wasn't exactly going all out in that chase scene and was already being slowed down. Finally Fluttershy only managed to keep Applejack in range not catch up.

I don't think you can say Rainbow Dash is an average pegasi either. She is the only pegasus capable of the Sonic Rainboom and is an athlete as well being a paragon of loyalty.

In range.. of a lasso.

And Unicorns, as in, most of them, it was as much their collective duty as it was the Earth Ponies to tend the soil, or the Pegasi's to control the weather.

A single being replacing an entire species is not exactly... well.. a point against it.

And I believe there are some word of god statements from Lauren Faust regarding Equestria being "As Earth But." on her Deviant Art.

Newman
2012-01-01, 07:39 PM
Well, if we're thnking in fanfic terms it doesn't need to be literally our Mask, it could be a native Equestrian Mc Guffin, possibly created by Discord himself, and might be wielded against him. Plus, the Elements of Harmony are a specific set, but what if there are other Elements of... other stuff?

Note: in the Sinosphere, Harmony and Love are written with the same simbol, pronounced Ai Caramba

EDIT: Equestria is known to be Spherical. It is also at the center of a Geocentric system. Speculation is that only one hemisphere has land in it, and only part of it to boot, so that the Sun and Moon can be "Raised" over "the Land".

Fan
2012-01-01, 07:52 PM
Griffons are also canonically stated to be from another part of the world as they "don't see many griffons in Equestria.", same with Zebras.

So again, same as a Earth but.. =p

Newman
2012-01-01, 08:13 PM
Ponies aren't racist. They are speciesists...

Forum Explorer
2012-01-01, 08:33 PM
This thread has inspired me to rewatch the Mask. And really its looking like the Mask might actually be a match for Discord. Yes Discord can bend reality with a snap of his fingers. The Mask can create matter with a thought (makes a balloon tommy gun which then turns into a real tommy gun for an example. And he pulled the balloon out of thin air.)

The most important thing though is that both sides don't just do something. They always need/use a frame work around it. Like Discord will only steal wings and horns for the purpose of the 'game' in the maze or how the Mask 'freezes' at command.

Newman
2012-01-02, 06:19 AM
Well, yes, their games involve playing with rules rather than working with no rules at all. That's more like Tetsuo's domain...

Arakune
2012-01-05, 09:51 AM
Would they work together? Depends on the bearer of The Mask. Someone who found Discord messing with...well...everything funny might work with him. If not...

It's difficult to say, but on Norse mythology the sun and the moon were also living beings(?) that were chased away by two big bad wolves, son/daughters/whatever from the Biggest Baddest Wolf (or something, it's difficult to remember when there are so many giant things walking around on norse myth), and thus were probably fair play if you were suicidal enough.

We're not really sure how it worked in deep on the movie, but the Cartoon could mess up with time/space at will if it was funny enough considering he ran on cartoon physics.

Newman
2012-01-05, 10:16 AM
I've been reading the comics. Big Head is not nearly as powerful, dynamic or interesting as the movie and cartoon versions. Of all the versions, I prefer the movie one best. The cartoon simply makes huge smiles. But Jim Carrey has this glee to his presence... you really can tell the Mask is inner!Stanley: Stanley himself is a ball of nerves, he's not subdued at all. I mean, he tries, he tries very hard, because he's afraid of others, and he has low self esteem, and he makes lame jokes all the time as a defense mechanism... but he's so emotionally intense... you can tell he just wants to burst out and express himself and have everyone love and admire him. In terms of personality disorders, Stanley is an avoidant, the Mask is his narcissistic counterpart.

Anyway, cartoon version is most powerful. He doesn't just run on cartoon physics, he can pull reality warping the likes of which looney toons and the big bad wolf could only dream of. I think he once turned the entire city into a carnival or something...

Arakune
2012-01-05, 10:26 AM
Yes, but he is more or less bound by those rules since that is the extent of Stanley knowledge and willing to mess up with reality. For him it isn't all that strange for a cartoon character to open a tear on time space and have some fun wacky hijinks with talking magical ponies, annoying and being annoyed in return in some kind of pseudo-crossover of Daffy Duck vs Bugs Bunny (since they both had their own 'slots' with their own cast most of the time but often one made a guest appearance to another, like Coyote in a rare Bugs Bunny show) or Daffy Duck vs Donald Duck on Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

It's funny, thus he will do it.

Newman
2012-01-05, 10:32 AM
It's funny, thus it will occur to him.

The Mask can do whatever he wants, it's just that what he wants is determined by his mindset and personality and imagination. It's kind of a Green Lantern power.

Now I imagine a Green Lantern with a Mask-ish personality...

General Patton
2012-01-09, 02:46 AM

You know, The Mask's powers are just weird and unpredictable enough that I can see him being able to bypass the requirements for using Macguffins, like Use Magic Device does for non-artifacts.

I'm sure most of us have seen the family dinners from The Nutty Professor, where Eddie Murphy plays every character at the table, but there's only one onscreen at a time. I'm envisioning something like that, with The Mask talking to himself as he switches between different personas, coupled with costume changes and jump cuts everytime he switches, while he does a bunch of cheap gags to establish which element each persona gets.

Discord is certainly powerful enough to win a straight contest of reality-warping, but The Mask runs on Rule of Funny and might be able to come out of left-field with using the Elements by himself. Discord would probably set himself up for failure with his overconfidence.